62-100 Kauna'oa Drive, Kohala Coast, Kamuela, Hawaii, 96743, United States
Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel

Mohalo Hapuna Prince

We just got back from our trip to the Big Island and the Hapuna Prince was a wonderful choice. The rooms were clean, the people we extremely helpful and friendly. The beach just makes this resort even better. I have read several reviews prior to us leaving and was a little concerned (the bug issue); and we had no problems what so ever. The Mai Tai's were to die for at the Lounge and the live music makes you feel right at home. The only shock to this island is the price...it was a lot higher than Kauai, where we honeymooned a few years ago; but hey, its vacation right? There are some excellent restaurants right near by Cafe Pesto (great pizza), Roy's and Merriman's. We couldn't have asked for a better vacation. Also note: If you don't like to drive this island may not be for you - they call it the big island for a reason. From a big city though we enjoyed the car trips - you really get to take it all in. You can't go wrong at this resort. We will definitely stay there if we return. (PS Keep your eye's peeled for stars we met Wayne Newton while we were there) :-)

Literally bugs in the bed

Just got back from the Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel. The rumors are true: there are bugs in your room.

Got a partial ocean view room with two beds(actually, with the building in front of our window, it was really a partial, partial and still more partial ocean view). Woke up the next morning to find one of the beds crawling with red ants (yes, not one ant, but a colony of at least 100 or so - I like camping, but this is ridiculous). The ants looked like they were having fun, but we weren't. Went to the front desk to complain. First, they offered only to spray the room again with bug spray (ah, the fresh smell of pesticide in the morning). After further complaints, they finally offered to give us another room. Thankfully, it was a room above the ground level, so we didn't have any more bugs.

What a waste of a hotel. Physically, it was a very nice hotel, with an airy atomsphere that's wonderful. The staff is friendly, esp. the concierge who helped us plan our stay on the Big Island. The Coast Grill restaurant is pretty good, although a bit pricey, even for us NYers. The rooms themselves were nice. Now, if they can only get rid of the bugs.

Tip: Don't get a partial ocean view room. The hotel is somewhat oddly located on a hill so that the building actually goes downward on the hill and towards the beach. The result is a lot of the rooms are located on the ground level so that the bugs can crawl in (the front desk clerk confided the bug complaints are fairly common). Our travel agent warned us that all partial ocean view rooms are located on the ground level (the ocean view rooms are located above ground level). But we didn't think it mattered much. We were wrong.

So, in short, if you want spend $300+ to sleep with ants, a partial ocean view room at the Hapuna is perfect for you. Otherwise, spring for the ocean view rooms or stay at another hotel.

Simply Wonderful

Was a little nervous upon our arrival as we had read mixed reviews and had such a great rate for Hapuna.Much to our surprise and delight, it was so much better than we could possibly have imagined. Just got back from our 2 weeks in Hawaii. Spent 1 fantastic week @ Hapuna Hotel.Yes it does take a good 30 mins from the airport and yes if you are looking for touristy shops, restaurants and activities stay down in Kona or Waikola. This is a place to relax and unwind in the natural beauty of the Big IslandThe drive is very cool from the airport; over miles of lava rock and into the desert. Almost as if you are on a different planet.Its in a great location if you want to explore the Island.We arrived to a friendly front desk crew w/ juice and a much needed cool towel. Since it was off season we were upgraded to Full Ocean view. The room was a nice size. It was such a treat to open up the sliding glass doors with a beautiful view of the ocean & mountains everyday and a great spacious lanai(patio) at your disposal. No bugs, not even ants (Im from Florida, I have an eye for the bugs!) The food was the usual boring items typical of a resort. The only semi decent restaurant is the Grill. The golf course, according to my boyfriend was first class.
He actually liked it better than the Mauna Kea (sister resort) course.
Remember to ask for twilight rates (half the price). I am a non golfer and even enjoyed riding around the golf cart gazing at all the mountains & miles of ocean laid out in front of me.The pool area was nice, and the beach is one of the nicest on the whole island, with fantastic snorkeling just a few feet off shore. A snorkelers dream.
There is plenty of parking if you dont to valet (both are complimentary but tips is always nice)If you don't mind the drive, there are some great restaurants up in Waimea (15 mins). Hawaiian Style Cafe-$12-15 for 2 people, huge portions, great food and the nicest servers and owners. Merrmans was fantastic too. A great to book for restaurants is The Big Island Revealed. Never go to Hawaii w/out it. Always stick to the ONOs. Keep in mind, restaurants pretty much close around 9:00pm. If you are looking for snacks, drinks, fruit etc Go to Foodland in Waimea and stock up, you do have a fridge in room. And dont hesitate to ask housekeeping for extra waters.The down side of Hapuna Prince is the Spa is lacking in everything, I wouldnt even really call it a Spa. The work out equipment is very, very old. Better to drive over to Four Seasons for a day @ the Spa (its worth the 10 min drive). Housekeeping could use a refresher course. They clean everyday, I just dont know how well.The staff was all so nice, very relaxed and ready to help in anyway possible. For the price, location and beach alone this place is worth it. Just dont pay over $250 for a room and you wont be disappointed. We are already planning a full 10 day stay @ The Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel next year. Nothing but good times at the Hapuna!

Hapuna Beach: A Beach for Beachgoers

by sarams

While all of the beaches on the island are beautiful, not all of them are pleasant to walk on. Hapuna Beach is one that's good for walking and swimming. One of the most popular beaches on the island, Hapuna attracts a number of families. The fine sand is very nice underfoot, and the water is warm and wonderful.

Hapuna Beach

by Sunshine64

At Hapuna Beach, which is one of the most highly rated beaches in the world there is a little snack bar. I got fresh pineapple and a fruit smoothie at the snack bar. The lady working at the snack bar suggested a spice I should put on my pineapple, Li Hing Mui (I think). Anyway, it was delicious. I also had a rather strange and funny encounter with 2 men that didn't want to talk to me. How rude!

Great for romantic getaway without losing your wallet

As a Hawaii resident, I've stayed at most of the reasonably-priced hotels in Waikoloa and I will say that each has its appeal for a different group of people. Waikoloa has the distinction of having few nearby eateries or markets, magnificient golf courses, some of the best weather in the state, and one of the highest hotel room rates in Hawaii. It is a place where you can getaway from civilization and truly relax. The Hapuna Beach Prince fits the bill. There is normally amplefree parking at the hotel, the staff is quietlyefficient and friendly, from customer support to those on-site. The guest rooms are large, with the bathrooms particularly nice, with separate shower and tubs and dual vanity faucets.The Mauna Kea Beach Hotel is nearby and also part of Prince Resorts Hawaii.A shuttle transports guests between the hotels, and reciprocal signing privileges are granted to guests.That hotel has additional restaurants and appears toappeal to more families. However, I also recommend eating offsite in Waimea or at the King's Shops about 8 miles south.

Can't wait to return!

My husband and I stayed at The Hapuna Prince for our Honeymoon. Our experience could not have been better! Upon arrival the front desk staff informed us that we had been upgraded to a premium oceanview room on the ninth floor( We had booked a partial oceanview at a bargain price! ) Our room was incredible! My husband and I swore that it was the same room shown on their website! It was impeccibly clean, had unbelievable views of the ocean, and a large resort bathroom. The staff at the Hapuna was the best we've ever experienced. As a young couple, we've often stayed at four-star resorts only to be treated like two-star guests who "probably wouldn't be spending a lot of money"- so why would they go the extra mile. This was not the case at The Hapuna Prince. When we would pass by, or were anywhere in view of the front desk staff, we would be greeted by name! The room service staff were especially friendly. Many of them stayed in our room for several minutes discussing the favorite spots of the locals- we got some excellent tips! It also seemed that in each of their fine restaurants we were seated at the best tables! The food was great- pricey, but worth it. Finally, the snorkeling (right in front of the hotel) was to die for! We saw an enormous amount of tropical fish, and swam with several large sea turtles. We are already planning a return visit.
Highly recommended!

Absolutely perfect

by TripAdvisor Member KlingonWarrior

This is my fifth trip to the state of Hawaii. The Hapuna has become my favorite hotel of all I have tried including upper-end hotels on Oahu, Maui, and Kauai. Room was very generous in size; grounds impeccable, and the pool and indoor facilities topnotch. But best of all THE BEST BEACH IN HAWAII and easily TOP TEN in the WESTERN HEMISPHERE. CLear warm water, gentle waves, and fish everywhere. Golden sugar sand. Will most definitely be back.

Finest

Have stayed at the Orchid on numerous occasions and were atracted by the price ($175.00/night). Were pleasantly surprised at the outset; upgraded to a top floor room with fantastic view. Room was huge, clean and functional... not lux like the Ritz (Maui) or Orchid, but much more "beachy" feeling. Terrific bathrooms (as good as the others) Loved the louvered doors (open to the back to let the breeze thru) and the refrigerators (they don't look down on those who bring in food and beverages). Comp coffee and water every day. Staff friendly and helpful, right down to car-parkers. All will give you great insider tips. Not as "high class" as staff at Orchid, but who needs that? the beaches (Hapuna and Mauna Kea) are two of the world's best. Only problem: food choices are all expensive and the buffet breakfast is not as good as Orchid. But great places in Waimea are close-by.

Great Stay for Great Price !

I was very nervous booking this place after reading about all of the roaches, rats, bugs, ants and pests !! but instead our stay was very clean, very relaxing and just a great experience !!

First - I think we got a great right from their website for $180 a night. Although this is for a partial ocean view or something - we were upgraded to an ocean view - but the layout of the building is a bit akward so the view was not really that good. However the price more than made up for it.

The room was really very nice - very clean and modern, bathrooms were great and modern - temperature control was fine. Nice free coffee and bottled water, maid service was also very good. great doors that lead out to the patio - we were very pleased. We visited in late august - no bugs of any kind !!

please note that you are about 30 miles from the airport - and you are at least 10-15 minutes from anything. We actually never eat on the resort since it was VERY expensive - however they do have a small cafe (never advertised or mentioned anywhere and it keeps a very small profile so we didn't even know it existed until the end of our second day) that sells pretty reasonable (read: only slightly inflated prices) sandwiches and stuff for lunch. We visited a local grocery store to stock up on breakfast and we usually went out around the other island restaurants to eat dinner. We didn't mind driving around so it may be different for you.

beach is great ! i think you will already know that. the pool was pretty good although there is a limted amount of umbrellas that are first come first serve. There are 4 cabanas available, but you will have to get there before 8am or so. It was very annoying that people would put their towels in the cabanas at like 7:30am, but then not appear until 10am or so.

The staff was nice and friendly anywhere you go. Overall we just had a great great experience and came away relaxed, happy and well rested!

Hapuna BeachHapuna Beach

where to see authentic (or at least good) hula, traditional dance/music.

by averilpdx

Hi!
I'll be in Hawaii in July for 10 days (1st time- so excited.) I thought I wanted to go to a luau, and I do, but I realized I'm more interested in the show than the food. That having been said, I don't know if I'll be able to access any of the luaus I've read about. We'll be at Hapuna Beach Hotel from fri-sun and I know the Mauna Kea luau is on Tues. I don't know how far it is to the Friday night offerings (Kona Village, Kamehameha, etc.) I heard the Sat. night clambake at the Mauna has better food than the luau, so I thought we could go the the clambake for a big outdoor feast thing and maybe catch a show elsewhere. Any advice greatly appreciated!
Thank you.

RE: where to see authentic (or at least good) hula, traditional dance/music.

by travelgourmet

Aloha. The best place in July for authentic hula on the Big Island is about a 2 1/2 hour drive from your hotel. If you were planning a trip to the Kilauea volcano or the Volcano National Park, the date is not set yet, but the Kilauea Cultural Festival is in July. The real deal on hula and other events that are pure Hawaiian. Not only could you get to see the caldera at the Volcano National Park,but maybe some lava flows, walk through lava tubes, and the Festival with the hula as well. See website: www.volcanogallery.com/../kilaueafestival.htm
Aloha oe.

Big Island

by AprilT

Aloha! I’m not going to Hawaii until the first week of October, but I’m so excited that I’ve been looking up stuff to do anyway. I’ve been to other islands, but never to the Big Island. I know there is so much to see and do! What things are a MUST? Thanks!

by davidmg

We spent 9 days there a year ago. We stayed in the Kona area. Some of the things we loved: snorkeling near Kona, driving up to Hapuna Beach, a beautiful stretch of sandy beach, driving up to see the volcano and seeing it at night, and just relaxing and enjoying the tropical beauty of it all. There is so much to see and do, it all depends on your particualr interests.

Have a great time!!

David

by Jamesr3939

Without a doubt the volcano. I rate walking out on the SEMI-cool lava as one of the top five things I have ever seen or done on any trip. Others would be flying over and walking on the Alaska glacers, Pompeii, and Grand Canyon; if that give you an idea. I can only dream of what it must look like at night.

The big island is "big" compared to the others. Plan a full day and leave early then drive all the way around.

by keida84

There is a vanilla plantation on the windward side of the island and the bakery which makes the taro, guava breads is at the southern most tip of the island, you could check out the Volcano winery also southern part of the island on the way to or from the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Check out the ancient petroglyphs in the Waikoloa area North of Kona. And if you like chocolate and coffee there is the original Hawaiian chocolate factory (with locally grown chocolate beans) and many coffee plantations to tour. Greenwell farms is a nice one.
Aloha

by atufft

I can vouch for the Hilo side of the island as well, with it's tropical gardens and great volcanic beaches. Overall, you can't miss Volcanoes National Park. If you are good on your feet, and have good shoes, try to get there just before dusk, when the rangers close the entrance. With a flashlight in hand, walk across the rugged moonscape to the area where at night the earth glows from the molten lava. Check out my pages and images of the hot lava trail.

by AprilT

Thank you everyone! I appreciate the feedback!

by trvlrtom

On the Kona side, I'd definately recommend going to the beaches at Kekaha Kai State Park. The road to get there from the highway is a little rough, but I think it is worth it. The first beach, right by the parking area, is beautiful, and there is another great one if you take the foot trail to the north about 20 minutes.

Comments