62-100 Mauna Kea Beach Drive, Kamuela, Hawaii, 96743, United States

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

More about Mauna Kea Beach Hotel

Paradise

by Cammel11 about The Mauna Kea Beach Hotel

This hotel is incredible. From the moment you walk through the open air lobby you are at peace. It is so calm and quiet there. Perfect for a trip of relaxation! The hotel is situated in it's own cove. Has a beautiful white sand beach with no waves, perfect for swimming. The rooms are very nice and clean. This hotel is one of my favorite places to visit in the world!

Boo hoo bucks to stay here!

by GracesTrips about Mauna Kea Beach Hotel

We did not stay at this resort, though we did visit. My boyfriend did look into what it would cost to stay at this hotel. A partial ocean view room would have been US$900+ per day! That is a lot of money for us. We opted to stay at the Sheraton at about 1/5 of the cost! This was a beautiful hotel and the beach was phenomenal! We walked around and found a wonderful art gallery. This hotel is part of the Princeton Resorts.

Not in Kona but north of the airport on the Kohala Coast. Close to the very nice Waikoloa shopping area.

Slow it down...you're moving too fast!

by bellemichelle about Mauna Kea Beach Hotel

My family visits this super cool resort every year in spring. Its one of the older hotels on the Big Island, but you'll find that the guests are 90% of the time return guests who have made it a regular vacation spot for their familes. yes, this is more of a family place, however it definately has the best beach on the Island. Rockerfeller created this paradise by blasting away the lava rock with dynamite in the 60's, and it turns out the reef that resulted offers some of the best snorkeling on the island. A key component of this resort is the world class golf course that has dramatic views of the ocean from most of the course and is well maintained. If you like tennis, there is a cluster of courts right at the water's edge. You start the day with a yummy buffet breakfast with the friendly staff and then you're off to a day of adventure. Some of the main activities include exploring the active volcano, visiting the beautiful black sand beaches, deep sea fishing, and hiking along the cliffs. Every evening, there are Hawaiin musicians playing in the outside bar area. The soothing music resonates throughout the hotel and draws every guest downstairs for a relaxing moment at sunset. This is living!

The Mauna Kea Beach Resport on...

by kucha

The Mauna Kea Beach Resport on the Big Island is top of the line. This 'Rock Resort' is definitely where to spend your 'Honeymoon dollars.'
Probably has gone up to about $500 a night by now. I believe it was about $350 per night in the early 90's. Great tennis, golf, private beach, private bungalows, first-class service; food; etc. Oh yes, the views are also spectacular!

Hilo's Best!

by Lildeer about Arnott's Lodge

Arnott's is the very best hostel I've ever stayed in. With every traveler in mind, it boasts hostel beds for the backpacker and deluxe private doubles for couples/honeymooners. I stayed in the deluxe, which overlooks a well maintained garden with fruit trees. Think: Breakfast every morning in the sun!

Onsite convenience store, restaurant, kitchen, laundry facilities, and bicycle rental. Spotless! Also provides free transportation to and from the airport, and runs famous tours to Mauna Kea and Lava Hikes. Onsite convenience store, restaurant, kitchen, laundry facilities, and bicycle rental. Spotless! Also provides free transportation to and from the airport, and runs famous tours to Mauna Kea and Lava Hikes.

Hostelling International-Holo...

by makai

Hostelling International-Holo Holo Inn

Dorm - $15
You need a Hostel Int'l card
Just a mile from Volcanoes National Park on the 'Big Island' of Hawaii, believed to be the home of Pele, the goddess of volcanoes. The Park has two active volcanoes, Mauna Loa and the Kilauea Caldera, adding new acres of land every year. Ranger-led walks can be scheduled from the Park's Visitors Center. Mauna Loa, the largest volcano in the world, and the dormant Mauna Kea are nearly 14,000 feet above sea level. Mauna Kea is frequently snow-capped. Take a day and enjoy the Punaluu Black Sand Beach, a county park.

After spending all your money...

by kucha

After spending all your money on the Mauna Kea Resort, you might want to try some of the numerous, charming bed and breakfasts around the islands. Some of them are quite luxurious -- pools, hot tubs, gardens -- yet much cheaper.

This is a photo of our B&B on Maui.
Between $100 and $200 per night.

some links on places to stay

by FRONA

Voted #1 by readers of West Hawaii Today, this unique Big Island romantic eco-spa “treehouse”, offers Healthy Pleasures that include communing with friendly wild dolphins, snorkeling, diving, labyrinth, yoga space, organic garden, lomilomi massage, birding, hammock, flower essences, far infra red sauna, wireless high speed internet, hosting honeymoons, families, workshops and individuals...
Warning: quite strick rules although everything appears "peaches"!!! I would call it modern hippy commune!

Spectacular views: Sunrise off Mauna Kea, sunset over the ocean, clear night skies bright with stars, green rolling hills and rainbows over the stream.

Mauna Kea is TOPS on the Big Island!

by TripAdvisor Member ealistello

We just got back from 4 days at Mauna Kea and were stunned by the beauty, luxury, staff attention, marvelous food and overall fabulous time we had on the Big Island!!! My husband and I are in our mid 40's, no kids, and this is our second trip to Hawaii. We stayed 3/18-3/22-05 in an Ocean View room (738) that overlooked the ocean - the beach was approx 50 yards away. The room was spacious- large foyer/dresser area (10' x 10'), bathroom with large tub/shower, sink, bedroom with 2 queen sized beds, and MARVEOLOUS lanai- largest we've stayed at ever (15' x 10'). The housekeeping services are exceptional and includes turn-down service. The grounds are well taken care of. The staff is very friendly and happy to help. I called prior to our arrival, and a greeter was there to pick up our luggage and arrange for a cab. The staff arranged for our cab on the way out, as well. The beach is large, shallow for kids, but deep enough further out for adults and good snorkeling. I snorkeled with a turtle one morning. The food is top rate, we had the majority of our meals at the resort, & we didn't have a bad meal or bad food. Room service is prompt. The wait staff is very thin, tho, and we had to wait a long time for dinners at the Pavilion restaurant (altho the staff was apologetic, we were seated one night, our drink/meal order taken, water poured, and we had no other service {besides apologies about the delay} for 30 minutes- no drinks, no bread, nothing. The meal came out, still no drink order- I mentioned that I no longer wanted my drink since it was too late, and a complimentary drink arrived pronto- in spite of the fact I told the wait staff I no longer wanted it!) The fitness rooms are well stocked, we used the manicure & haircut services and were pleased. All in all, we would return here in a heartbeat- we were very pleased with our stay and didn't want to leave.

Riding to the Summit of Mauna Kea

by AKtravelers

"Mauna Kea as seen from Hilo Bay"

It doesn't look that high from here, but it's an almost 14,000-foot climb. With the naked eye, you can make out some of the observatories from here.
Obviously, Mauna Kea is named after someone named Kea.

"A View on the Way Up"

Above the visitors center, we stopped at an overlook to get some photos. Here are my parents with a view of Hilo Bay 11,000 feet below them.

"It's a Rocky Road to the Top"

Once you get above the visitor center, the pavement ends and the road becomes steep and rough. The landscape is lunar.

"Viewing Mauna Loa"

The Big Island's other great peak is Mauna Loa, the world's longest, most massive mountain. The pull over on mauna Kea gives one a great view of it, to include the ability to see the crater on it's peak.

"The top of Mauna Kea"

Mauna Kea's peak is dotted with about 20 observatories, manned by consortiums of astronomers from all over the world. In the visitors center, you can see the list: The U.S., U.K, France, Canada, Taiwan, etc.

"Sunset: The Workday Begins"

AS the sky darkens, the observatories start to open up and the astronomers get ready to work. No vehicles are allowed to run their engines on the summit from 8 p.m. until just before dawn, so as to keep the air as undisturbed as possible.

"The Real Summit"

From the end of the road where all the observatoeies sit is a half-mile trail that heads up to the true summit. It looks easy enough, but the thin air makes sure that your lungs pay for every step. It's definitely worth the walk, as the views are spectacular. Plus, how could you get this close to the summit and not go?

"Atop Mauna Kea"

This doesn't seem like Hawaii -- cold, dark and desolate. but it is Hawaii's highest point!

Mauna KeaMauna Kea

Snow capped Mauna KeaSnow capped Mauna Kea

Observatories on Mauna KeaObservatories on Mauna Kea

Junko atop Mauna KeaJunko atop Mauna Kea

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel In Big Island

by opux100

Hello everyone!

We will be visiting Maune Kea Beach hotel in July and we have requested a non smoking room for our stay.

This hotel does not have any non smoking room and was told that the room will be deodorized before our arrival.

Has anyone had any experiences with this property? Your experiences and inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Steven

Re: Mauna Kea Beach Hotel In Big Island

by aflaneur

I am not allergic to cigarette smoke, but I really dislike it a lot. I travel all the time, and there is no such thing as a smoking room made temporarily nonsmoking by any kind of cleaning process. The absorbant materials in the rooms will ensure that the room maintains a wholly undesirable cigarette smoke smell. This is only exacerbated if the airconditioning system does not remove humidity from the air (for example, window air conditioners instead of central air).

If a hotel does not have nonsmoking rooms (and these days, nonsmoking floors are more the norm), it is a clear statement that the hotel's infrastructure and customer service standards will disappoint you.

Re: Mauna Kea Beach Hotel In Big Island

by aflaneur

After writing the prior message, I checked out the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel on tripadvisor to see what people had to say about the property who have stayed there, and it is universally praised as an extraordinary property. So, my initial red flag sent up by the hotel's lack of nonsmoking rooms may lack merit. See:

Stargazing: Mauna Kea or Haleakala?

by grlmopz

Hello,

We will be travelling to the Big Island and to Maui in a couple of weeks and are interested in stargazing. Since the major research telescopes are located atop Mauna Kea, I'd imagine that the view is better there than on the summit of Haleakala. Since we won't have a 4x4 vehicle, it'll cost significantly more to get to the top of Mauna Kea that it will to scale Haleakala, which can be done in a normal car.

Is the night sky *significantly* better on the summit of Mauna Kea to justify the extra price (~$200) we'd have to pay?

Thanks!

by diver-x

The visitors' center at Mauna Kea is not at the peak and they put small(er) telescopes out at night for star gazing, though I'm not sure if they do that EVERY night. When we were there, they had one set up to look at sun spots and we were going to go back after dark for star gazing but it turned out to be cloudy. You don't need a 4x4 to get to the visitors' center, but you do if you go any farther up. It won't cost you anything. Also, I'm sure this doen't happen all the time, but we waited up until 2 weeks before we left for the Big Island before we reserved a car and we were glad we did. We got a 4x4 for less than what they had been asking for regular mid-size cars only a few weeks earlier.

by BlueCollar

Significantly better? That depends. Mauna Kea is around 3,800 feet higher than Haleakala. So there is much less atmosphere to peer through and a greater chance of clouds forming below you. Hence, the big telescopes there.

For naked-eye stargazing or through any portable telescope, there would not be much difference.

I made the trek to the top of Mauna Kea on a tour with Arnott's Lodge. We had a great view of the sunset and perfectly clear sky. As the sun was setting, the mountain's shadow was broadcast on the cloud layer below us (pic on my BI page...somewhere). I found it very intriguing because of the rarity of the experience.

After the sun set, the sky above was perfectly clear and dark. Yet I noticed what I thought was a thinly veiled cloud formation reflecting light back on us. As I was informed by our guide, it wasn't a cloud. It was a formation of stars.

In all my years, I had never seen so many stars. There's just too much light coming from all of the surrounding cities where I live.

Lastly, if you ever wanted to see inside those domed building on the top of Mauna Kea, you can arrange a tour through the Subaru telescope. Details are on my BI Off the Beaten Path section.

by eenelfje

I visited the Manua Kea with Arnott's Lodge last year. At the visitors centre you can look through the big telescopes and the view is amazing.
At the top you will see lots and lots of stars !

Be sure to bring very warm clothing with you because at the top its freezing cold !

Is Mauna Kea worth visiting

by raraavis

Hi All,

We'll be staying at a resort north of Kona. Three days to sightsee: 1 day at Volcano Nat'l Park, 1 day beach/snorkel, 1 day undecided.

Do you think Mauna Kea is worth visiting on the undecided day? I am aware of the Arnott Lodge tour which ends around 10pm at night. What's driving time back to Kona at night? Safe to drive if you are unfamiliar with the road? I am used to driving Southern California canyons.

It helps to say we are active nature lovers.

Many thanks.

by dtownkitty

I would go horseback riding.

RE: RE: Is Mauna Kea worth visiting

by travelgourmet

Your day at the Volcano National Park will take up at least 4 hours total driving time. Another day of distance driving is not a great day of vacation. There are sights closer to Kona to enjoy such as south to the "City of Refuge"(Puuhonua O Honanau National Historical Park), also Captain Cook's Monument and Kealahekua Bay. North of Kona is the Petroglyphs (lava rock carvings)at Waikoloa, the town of Hawi, and at the end of the northern road, the Pololu Valley lookout and if you are a hiker, you can venture down to the black sand beach and look up. Aloha

by BlueCollar

I agree with travelgourmet. With your short stay on the island, all of that driving will take valuable time.

The most beautiful spot on the Big Island is Waipi`o Valley. We've driven down into it (4WD required) and taken horses to the top above Hi`ilawe Falls. Seen from both top and bottom, it is truly amazing.

The second is Pololu Valley. The hike down to Pololu Beach is simply amazing. The blacksand beach, which is about a half-mile across, was all ours one day when we hiked down there. Truly spectacular.

Both of these sit on the north shore. If you are staying north of Kona, they will not be too far and will require less driving time. If you are going to hike down to Pololu or Waipi`o, be sure to take a backpack and plenty of water and snacks. There is nothing down there but what you carry with you. Remember to conserve your energy as it is the hike back up that will strain you.

Aloha.

by BlueCollar

Ooops. I forgot to answer your original question.

Because of your short stay, my answer is no. However, you cannot drive to the top of Mauna Kea without a 4WD anyway. If you do not rent one for the duration of your stay, you could take a bus tour to the top for the sunset and some stargazing. There are a couple that depart from the Kona area in late afternoon. Besides, these tours are equipped with oxygen in the event you have altitude sickness. If you brave it on your own...you are on your own.

RE: RE: Is Mauna Kea worth visiting

by raraavis

Thanks everyone for your great ideas, I will definitely keep them in mind.

Comments