71 Banyan Drive, Hilo, Hawaii, 96720, United States

Expedia.com Hotels.com Priceline.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• Hilo Happy - options

I have traveled to the Hilo side of the island several times this past year. I found an unexpected passion for the back to basic side of the Big Island. This hotel is in a good location if you want or need to stay in Hilo. If you are more flexible I suggest staying in Volcano where there is a better choice of B&Bs that function well for business and personal travel. I wanted to write a review praising Volcano Village Lodge, but it wasn't listed.
    The Castle is the best choice in Hilo, but it is still only a 2.5 star hotel. The bar and restaurant have been renovated and I found them both to be welcoming. The staff in the bar and restaurant were fantastic.
    If you get a chance I suggest breakfast one day at Ken's as it is open 24 hours.

Unique Quality: The hotel is in Hilo and that is good.

• Best hotel on Hilo

I have stayed at three other hotels on Hilo since I frequent Hilo for business purposes. The Hilo Hawaiian is by far the best choice to stay. The folks are friendly, the food is better than average and the room condition is better than average. Now, I would not say this is an Omni, or Four Seasons, but it is far better than Uncle Billy's and the Naniola next door to it.

• triplehelix's Profile Photo

Local Hospitality

Hilo Hawaiian sits in a picturesque location on Hilo Bay fronting Coconut Island. By no means is it a luxury hotel and they do not claim to be. At no time did I recieve less than a gracious and friendly attitude by the staff! I usually go there on Monday mornings with friends to have breakfast at the Queens Court. They are open daily for breakfast and dinner. Three days out of the week, they also serve lunch. The facility is set up mostly for business or party functions. They have a pool but its not the biggest of attractions with beaches near by. Hilo Hawaiian is the cleanest and finest for hotel stays in Hilo.

Unique Quality: Hilo Hawaiian sits just a few yards from the bay with Coconut Island right across. There are a few stores located along Banyan Drive that front the hotel.

Directions: From the airport, turn right, take the center lane. Go straight until you see Kens House of Pancakes on the left. Around the bend at Ice Pond and Reeds Bay, youll see the hotel after two other hotels and condos.

• KiKitC's Profile Photo

A good bet for Hilo

The Hilo Hawaiian is right on the bayfront, and offers great views. It's an older building, the hotel shows it's wear...but everything about it is so..."Hawaiian." I couldn't stop tinking about my parents being here forty years ago, and it looking just as it does now.

The rooms are very clean, and the staff is incredibly friendly. The best thing about it, we got a waterfront room for under $100 a night. With deals like that, I'll bite.

Hilo can be a great place to start a day at the volcano or exploring waterfalls for the day. There are few "hotels" in Hilo to begin with, and this one fits the bill. It's gonna rain, everyday. But it clears up quickly.

The restaurant downstairs, the Queen's Court, offers a great seafood buffet on Friday and Saturday nights. MAKE reservations. This is popular with the locals.

Unique Quality: Our room overlooked the cove. Even when it rained, the views was relaxing.

FYI...our room was haunted.

More about Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel

Hotel choices on Hilo side of island is limited

by GracesTrips about Hilo Hawaiian Hotel - Castle Resorts

We had spent most of our stay on the Kona side of the island at the Sheraton because we wanted to snorkel. You really can't snorkel on the Hilo side of the island. But, we did want to see the Akaka State Falls and do a lava tour which is on the Hilo side so we decided to spend one night at this hotel.

The choices for nice hotels on the Hilo side is very limited. I think this was the best we could find for the price. At one time you could imagine this was a luxurious, swanky hotel but it is dated. It really can you some remodeling and updating in the rooms. However, the airconditioning worked well - not noisy. There was no hand held hair dryer in the room but when requested, they brought us one. We had a great view of Mauna Kea from our window along with ocean views.

For just a place to spend the night was fine for us. We booked this room through travelosity.

Nice B&B in Volcano

by RickinDutch about Inn at Volcano

Just before heading out on our round the island drive, I called several hotels in Hilo as that was the logical overnight stop over. All were full. By this time, I had come to completely trust our guide book "Hawaii - The Big Island Revealed". None of the other Hilo hotels looked like a place we wanted to stay, so I started looking beyond Hilo and chose this B&B in Volcano.

The Inn at Volcano came well recommended so I called them first. Only room available was the Bridal Suite for $250/night. I called the other spots looking for something cheaper and they were all full. So the Inn at Volcano it was.

Spendy but a very nice place. Up in the rain forest just outside the Park and all by itself outside Volcano Village. The Bridal Suite, or Continental Lace Suite for us not so newly weds traveling with a grandchild, was fairly roomy with a wonderful bathroom. A large jacuzzi tub. A small living room had a day bed for the little guy and his own TV. His only concern was the tastefully done but never the less nude paintings in his room. He worried the ladies would get bug bites. We had a huge king sized bed and our own bath robes.

The Inn also has an outdoor hot tub and a large living room with conversation areas and lots of games and books. An excellent three course breakfast was served in a seperate dining area in the morning. Wonderful three course breakfast served by candle light.

Nice Hilo Hotel

by eclipseTraveler about Dolphin Bay Hotel

My stay was a short one, but I wish I had stayed longer. The rooms are not luxurious, but for the price they are fantastic. For breakfast (included with the room) you can pick your own bananas and guava from the premises. Coffee and pastries are also self-served. The rooms were clean and the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The surroundings are quiet and beautiful.

I will definitely stay there next time I am in Hilo. There are a variety of room choices. They have standard hotel rooms as well as studio, one and two bedroom apartments. All of the rooms have kitchens. There is no pool.

Great view, nice room

by TripAdvisor Member coolcarm

We really enjoyed our stay in Hilo, despite the off and on rain. Our Hilo Hawaiian Hotel room was comfortable, clean and we loved the view of the bay. We would definitely stay here again. Staff was very helpful with restaurants, etc. The local people that we met were extremely friendly.

Just Right for a Long Weekend

by keeweechic about Hilo Hawaiian Hotel

We stayed at the Hilo Hawaiian for the long weekend and being Thanksgiving, we had a lovely Thanksgiving dinner in the Queens Court Restaurant. It was quite a festive set up, pecan pie, the works… all new to us of course. The hotel was (at that time) Hilo’s only first class hotel and right on the shores of Hilo Bay. There are lovely gardens surrounding the hotel. Queen's Court Restaurant has an la carte breakfast and lunch/dinner with a specialty buffet dinner on Fridays/Sunday lunch. We had our Thanksgiving lunch dinner.

Adequate, but not fancy

by TripAdvisor Member CaptainMiles

We stayed here two nights in August 2004. We knew not to expect much of the hotels in Hilo, and this hotel got us what we expected. It is comfortable, certainly not fancy, and a bit dated. The location, as with just about all Hilo hotels, is convenient to the Hilo airport and to the volcanoes. We had reserved a non-smoking room, but all they had was a smoking room, so that was a bit disappointing.

Our ocean view room on the 7th floor had a nice view of coconut island, and we got to see one of the most beaufilful rainbows ever from our lanai.

by mailguyjeff

My wife and I will be spending 6 days on the Big Island and we have an ocean view room at the Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel? Has anybody stayed here before? Is it a decent place? We were looking for something not too expensive as we're spending almost three full weeks in Hawaii. Thanks for your help.

Comments