Hilo Honu Inn

465 Haili Street, Hilo, Hawaii, 96720, United States

More about Hilo Honu Inn

Spectacular Samurai Suite

by TripAdvisor Member CharlotteRobinB

We loved our stay at this wonderful B & B in Hilo, Hawaii. The "Samurai Suite" was beautifully appointed with asian artifacts, screens, and updated tile bath and bronze fixtures....comfortably elegant feng sui. The service was exceptional. Proprietors Gay and Billy made us feel very welcome, yet respected our privacy. The breakfast spread was delicious....banana pancake souffle or almond french toast, fresh fruits and breads. Nice location for restaurants downtown or driving distance to waterfalls, rainforest or volcano park. We LOVED our stay at this gem of a B & B! Joh, Robin and Michael B.

Excellent B&B

by TripAdvisor Member karen_burkhart

I stayed at the Hilo Honu Inn for several days in mid-February while in Hilo on business. The inn is lovely---Gaye and Bill the owners recently renovated it---and every room is well-appointed and unique. The showerheads they selected are dreamy, like a waterfall above your head. The entire inn was very clean. They provide a delightful breakfast each morning (ask for the souffleed banana pancake, Bill's specialty!). I will definitely stay with them again on a future trip.

True Sprit of Aloha

by TripAdvisor Member HoloholoKane

My wife and I stayed at Hilo Honu Inn during the Merrie Monarch Hula Festivals. Having travelled far and wide thru out the world, we can truly say our stay and experiences at this Inn were most gracious and even more comfortable. The true spirit of Aloha and the warmth of Hawaii were exuded not only by the most hospitable innkeepers, Gay and Bill but also embraced by the excellent restoration of their high ceilinged "Hawaii of the Territorial Days" mansion that is so conviniently located. Being an architect, I marveled at the different theme rooms the innkeepers carefully restored and renovated - each with period furniture, art, fixtures and colors of paint and bedding/cushions that truly radiated and appropriated the intended theme. The family style breakfast was most enjoyable and the discussion at the table was truly enlightening. Ask Bill to make his famous banana souffle for one of your morning meals. Their use of fresh tropical fruits Hawaii is famous for in drinks and fruit salads piqued the taste buds which were also treated to fresh brewed Kona Coffee. As they say in Hawaiian "Hilo Honu Inn No Ka Oi" Hilo Honu Inn is the Best. HIGHLY RECOMMEND

A comfy little paradise

by TripAdvisor Member kozyndan

The Hilo Honu Inn turned out to be one one of the best B&B experiences we've ever had. It is an all around beautiful home, each room has its own decor (playful, but surpisingly tasteful compared to most B&Bs) and the amenities are outstanding - we can't wait to come back to the Bigt Island just to take another shower at the Inn! We actually lost some time exploring the island because the bed was just too inviting, and the light in our room and the sound of birds slipping through the open windows lulled us into a dream for several hours...

The proprietors are amazingly friendly and helpful without being intrusive - they were knowledgable and gave us recommendations on places to go and things to do when we asked for it, and the breakfast was truly spectacular - If you stay there I hope you are lucky enough to have the baked pinapple macaroon cake they prepared for us - oh my! They also went above and beyond the call of duty - I managed to leave my laptop in the room when we checked out, and didn't realize it until we got to the security check point at the airport 40 minutes before our flight. I called them up and they drove all the way to the airport at the drop of a hat to bring my laptop to me and i made my flight. Whew!

Wonderful Stay

by TripAdvisor Member ijayb

This is a truly wonderful B & B!!! We stayed in the samurai room which is the entire second floor so you have lots of privacy. It boasts distant ocean views, luxury king bed with premium linens, separate sitting area, huge bathroom with gorgeous shower and soaking
tub.

The hosts are kind, gracious and fantastic people that will go out of their way to make sure you are happy. The breakfast is out of this
world with an array of fruits, a daily souffle, baked bread or muffins, yogurt and tropical smoothies. Actually, the breakfast is really superb. You will not be disappointed staying here. We stay at 5 star resorts such as Four Seasons and St. Regis and this too deserves the 5 star rating. Ask for the Samurai room (great history behind it) and tell them I.Jay and Angel sent you~!!!!

Great B & B

by TripAdvisor Member ral19572002

great stay at this charming B & B in Hilo Hawaii. It's like staying at your rich grandma's house. I stayed in the Bali Hi suite, which was a very large suite of 3 rooms, great for family or for laying around. The suite had two televisons with dvd players and a state of the art bathroom. Gay and Bill have taken a beautiful old home and renovated it with a tremendous attention to detail and comfort. The breakfast was plentiful and very tasty. 4 thumbs up from a world traveler!!!

Great B&B Experience in Hilo

by TripAdvisor Member Swaugers

We stayed in the Samurai Suite which comprises the entire top floor of this bed and breakfast in Hilo. What an experience! The room features a full panoramic view of Hilo and the harbor. We left the windows open to fully experience the surrounding rain forest. The steady chorus of birdsong surrounded by the rising and falling crescendo of rainfall was an experience we will cherish for a long time. Our excellent hosts, Gay and Billy have restored this home into an exceptional bed and breakfast. Everything from the wonderful food to the thoughtful service amenities made us feel completely welcome. Our only regret was only staying one night. This is definitely a place to enjoy for an extended stay.

The perfect place

by TripAdvisor Member lisabMiami

What a beautiful time we had at the Hilo Honu Inn. My husband and I have never been anywhere in Hawaii and this was the perfect way to start our vacation! We stayed in the Samurai Suite.
The room was lovely, the bed was very comfortable and the view was gorgeous. Gay and Bill were gracious hosts and spent a great deal of time helping us arrange our day to see so much of this side of the Island. Finally, I must go on record to say that we have never had such fantastic breakfasts. Thanks to Gay and Bill for a wonderful start to a most memorable vacation.

Home Sweet Beautiful Home

by TripAdvisor Member Blueocean2

What a beautiful stay. After 2 weeks on the island and on my way out, I was looking for home away from home. After much effort and many referrals, I finally booked in at the Hilo Honu Inn and to much delight it was a incredible place to end my stay in Hawai'i. Expect this one to be booked up fast as the word is getting out. Gay and Billy have put much TLC into their beautiful home. The quality of service is very impressible with much good home Aloooooooha! The theme rooms are spectacular and at a great value. I first stayed in the Bali Hi room which is a beautiful suite with a living room and a sizeable washroom holding many amenities you'd find at home. As a solo or budget conscious traveler, the Blue Hawaii room is perfect, a beautiful space to sleep and shower...you must check out the wonderful tiling job Gay has done in the washroom! And I got to take a peek at the Samurai Suite. Truly incredible! All rooms are very different stylish stays and uniquely fantastic. These folks pour much wonderful energy into all they do. They love the island and are very informative. Ask them, they'll help you with your stay. As I had traveled here for the Marie Monarch Festival, I was quite happy to find another dear hula buddy. Gay's passion for Hula runs deep. We enjoyed exchanging what we had learned. So much that she ended up driving me to the fabric store so I could share the fun of making hula skirts with my sister. Wow, how the world works. And every morning, I got to enjoy Billy's delicious culinary breakfast with much delight! And every morning I soaked it all in, the food, the conversation, the beauty of it all and just being there. This is a WONDERful place to be. I’m looking forward to visiting with them again.

Photo from the busPhoto from the bus

Tropical flowers for saleTropical flowers for sale

Hilo Pacific Tsunami Museum buildingHilo Pacific Tsunami Museum building

Lava flowLava flow

travel from maui to hilo

by cressidacrossley

Hi we are a family of 7 travelling to Maui in July. can we take a boat from Maui to Hilo or must we fly? Can we fly direct or do we need to go back to Honolulu? thnaks cressida

Re: travel from maui to hilo

by BlueCollar

We have used Island Air many times while island hopping. They use smaller planes (twin props), but get you there direct.

Go directly to Island Air's website and you can find direct flights. Prices are very favorable and available right now for July starting at $63 each way per person.

www.islandair.com

Surprisingly, go! airlines, who is causing the price war, has all of their flights going through Honolulu and are more expensve.

www.iflygo.com