Hilo Seaside Hotel

Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 1.5 star hotels

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

"Old School" Hawaii with Charm

Hilo Seaside Hotel offers traditional 1960s-70s style "resort hotel" accommodation, close to the airport and the highway. It's ideal if you need a place to stay in transit - coming to Hilo for a night or two during your exploration of the island. Truth to tell, it's a little faded, with the hint of having seen its "glory days" a generation ago - but in that regard it fits in perfectly with the rest of Hilo. I loved the open corridors, the refulgently profuse gardens that surround the hotel, the open-air lobby. And the prices here are very reasonable.

Note that the parking situation isn't ideal, and you may have to walk some distance from your car to your room.

• gman17's Profile Photo

Mid - Range

An older complex. Nothing fancy but my room was clean and had a view out into the bay and of the swimming pool. Pleasant enough for my needs. Staff was friendly and helpful.
    The only problem I had was dealing the rain so after 3 days I moved to the Kona side.

Unique Quality: right on the bay.
    pool looked clean although I didn't use it.
    Fairly easy to find and not too far from the airport

• triplehelix's Profile Photo

Koi Pond anyone?

Hilo Seaside is another simple location here in Hilo. Hilo Seaside is a part of a local chain called Sand and Seaside Hotels. Though not the most luxurious of settings, it hosts a large natural koi pond. They once had a well known restaurant called Hukilau which is no longer there. A hukilau is a big circle of men holding a large net. As they come together, the fish all gather in the center and are trapped. Anyway, the restaurant that sits there now is called Coconut Grille.

More about Hilo Seaside Hotel

Motel in Hilo

by iammon about Hilo Seaside Hotel

This is an ok place to stay for a day or two as we did. Rooms are clean. Staff is friendly.
It is a motel style hotel. It has a pool, garden area, parking, washing facilities. There is a Restaurant.
We paid 82$ a room without tax. Nothing special. Located next to Ken's House of Pancakes. A very good choice for breakfast!

Clean and simple

by Nathalie_B about Hilo Seaside Hotel

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights and quite liked it. It was clean and quiet with nice rooms, although the room I stayed in had a window up above, at the ceiling level. But this didn’t bother me at all, after all I wasn’t planning to see the island from the window, I came here to sleep a few hours and hit the road again.
All the rooms are situated around a nice garden, except for those with balconies that face the coy fish pond in front of the hotel.
The hotel is located on the main road in the center of Hilo, just a few minutes walk from Hilo Bay. There are several places to have a meal, nearby, and it has a restaurant as well, however we didn’t like the service so we never came back after having one breakfast there.
It’s a simple tourist class hotel with only basic amenities (AC included). If you’re looking for nothing luxurious then you’ll enjoy it. However, if you’re used to up scaled hotels of Hawaiian Island then I’d suggest you to look for a better place.

Nothing to write home about

by Nathalie_B about Coconut Grill

Coconut Grill is a restaurant attached to the Hilo Seaside Hotel. It is quite nicely decorated and their breakfasts are not bad, but their service could have been much better.
Our waitress was alone serving all the tables in the restaurant, and although the place was almost empty, with only 3 tables occupied, it still took her ages to approach us and give us the menu, let alone take our order and serve it within reasonable timeframe.
A simple breakfast of eggs, pancakes, juice, and coffee took us way too long. At the nearby Ken’s House of Pancake it would takes us half of the time. Also, the price would be much better, because Coconut Grill dishes seem to be a bit overpriced.
Additionally, the restaurant is not open at regular hours, so planning to have a meal there is quite inconvenient since you never know whether they’ll be open at that particular time.

Caution

The Hilo Seaside Hotel was terrible. I cannot even believe how dirty the room was. I have a list:

-Shag carpet smelled wet of mildew
-the tv turns off when the light outlet is switched
-there was mildew on the walls, in corners, everywhere.
-there is no water pressure or hot water in the morning
-my bath towels were stained with yellow spots
-there was mildew in the shower
-there were someone else's hair on the curtain
-the airconditioning was out of reach

and the best one of all

-there was termite faeces on one of the beds.

A horrible place for asthma suffers. I stayed up all night wheezing. Caution. It may not be worth the deal.

cd

Check-in Early!

by TripAdvisor Member seplin2003

Eeew! The grounds are nice but the room I had which was in the hallway between the lobby and the main hotel. They said they were sold out and I checked in around 3:00 or 4:00. I could've been there earlier but I figured the room wouldn't be ready so I did some sightseeing before going to the hotel. Big mistake. I don't know how often they give out these rooms but it smelled musty and since Hawai'i is humid the room felt wet. It was so yucky, the bedding, carpet, even the towels in the bathroom smelled musty and felt kinda wet. The parking was awful. They only have this little lot that you have to walk on the street to get to. It was raining that day and the lot was flooded and muddy. Other than the parking lot, it's street parking across the hotel. One good thing is that it's free on the street and on their lot.

The restaurant that's attached to the hotel had delicious food but the service was sooo slow. The waitress was not too bright. Make sure you know exactly what comes with the food you order! The main entrees was suppose to come with a trip to their salad bar, soup, and a choice of starch. The waitress never let us know to go to the salad bar, a customer let us know. And she never gave me a soup or the dessert that was suppose to come with my meal. The food took over an hour to get but it was soo good. Apparently, they had a big party that evening and since the hotel was sold out and it was raining, an unexpected overflow of patrons. While that excused the late food, not the absent-minded waitress.

If I ever return to Hilo, I would not stay at the Hilo Seaside again and I don't recommend it to anyone. There's plenty of other hotels.

Clean & The restaurant is great

Stayed at the seaside hotel.It was an enjoyable stay.The rms are small but clean, the staff was supper friendly & helpful.Jeanell @ the front desk was awesome..

The restaurant Coconut Grill was the abolute bomb.. Great food,clean atmosphere & wonderful staff, The morning servers (Mel,Geri & Des) great bunch of girls.

I will recomend this hotel & restaurant to all my Friends..

Thanks Hilo!

Clean & Simple

by TripAdvisor Member gyotaku

Stayed 2 nights here. We had a nice view of the koi pond and bay. Hotel is cornered at streets and near the airport (and Ken's). Windows are ancient, which may lead to street and airplane noise, but did not bother us. Hotel parking does get full, but street parking was fine. Rooms clean (includes AC, fan, frig), and people friendly. No elevator, need to use stairs. The price was right, and would recommend for a night or two.

Ok for a place to sleep - not a hotel to relax in.

by TripAdvisor Member Grandpa01

Not a bad place to stay for the price. Lots of stairs everywhere. Parking isn’t great but there are spots. Right down the street from a great breakfast place. The front desk is very friendly; the rooms are old but clean. If you are looking for a base to enjoy the city I recommend staying here – if you are looking for a hotel to spend some quality time in – keep looking.

Comments