93 Banyan Dr, Hilo, Hawaii, 96720, United States

Expedia.com Booking.com CheapTickets.com

Satisfaction Terrible

Similarly priced and rated as other 2 star hotels

• Definitely Not A Resort

One star for being on the water. The view was great.

Now, for the bad news:

1. One working elevator with scratches and graffiti in it.
    2. Nothing to do - no dining, no spa, no bar, no tennis courts - there's a small grubby pool.
    3. Hotel staff runs the gamut from apathetic to openly hostile.
    4. It's over-priced.

If you're just in Hilo to see Volcanoes National Park, there are several nearby B&B's in Volcano where you can stay for less money.

If you wanted a tropical dream vacation, forget Hilo and visit Kailua-Kona instead - the weather's better.

If you want a resort experience, go to Waikoloa where they do resort hotels right.

• Stay Away

This is a run down hotel. I have stayed at many hotels across 27 different countries and I would rate this hotel in the bottom 5% of places to stay. Between stained carpets and chairs to empty restaurants to a general lack luster mood of complacency--I advise traveling down Banyon a little further for the Hilo Hawaiian for a better stay. Oh yeah--bypass Uncle Billy's as well. It is like comparing Motel 6 to Super 8 hotels--no real difference.

Directions: Waterfront on Banyon Drive

• Terrible run down hotel

I stayed here in Nov 2005. It was bad. Very shabby, old and totally rundown.

Rooms dirty, outdated. Bathrooms need work-industrialized toilet which was wierd.

Paint peeling off, walls and ceilings have cracks.

Not even an alarm clock in the hotel room. Even a motel 6 has an alarm clock.

Not worth a penny to stay here. I have been told this place is undergoing some much needed renovations.

Unique Quality: None

• triplehelix's Profile Photo

Classic Island Stay

Naniloa just recently changed owners. The hotel is known as Naniloa Sandalwood Hotel will soon cater to luxury travelers and land trekkers.

The hotel once offered more amenities than Hilo Hawaiian but the hotel itself is very dated and in need of renovations. In late 2005, all employees were given their walking papers in an effort to rejuvinate the place. Why were they all fired? Many of them were there for decades and let atrophy setting along with becoming lathargic. In other words, many employees got too comfortable and the previous owners didn't care. The hotel is going through a major renovation process and will incorporate all new and up to date facilities. In addition, they are putting together a volcanoes tour deal to encourage visitors to see more than just the coastline.

More information to come as soon as they open up (3/20/06)

• There aren't that many places...

There aren't that many places to stay in Hilo. For regular hotels, there's the Hilo Hawaiian Hotel and the Naniloa Hotel. Both are comparable, and you just need to call each and compare prices. There's also the Hilo Seaside, a smaller hotel catering to locals on a budget. The amenities are older, as are the furnishings for the rooms. You can also take your pick from a handful of smaller hotels, but I cannot vouch for them since I've never stayed there. Any hotel that has a can of bug spray in the room is not for me.

Directions: The Hilo Hawaiian, Naniloa, and Hilo Seaside all are located along Banyan Drive, about 5 minutes from the airport. In fact, most if not all hotels are on Banyan Drive. As you're leaving the aiport, tu

More about Naniloa Volcanoes Resort

Hilo Bay Hotel

by Hexepatty about Hilo Bay Hotel

$65 after tax for one. Not bad!!! VERY local style. Clean and quaint. BEATS HILO SEASIDE hands down!!! And I like it better than the Naniloa, it's large scale hotel neighbor.

Well, it's cheap ...

by TripAdvisor Member Boeing767

We wanted to visit Hilo in September - we did, forgetting a past experience at the Naniloa.

The paint is chipping off the outside, the inside has worn carpets. The bathrooms are below standard.

The staff is - by and large - friendly, but that doesn't make up for the 60s monolith that has not been touched since, well, the 60s.

Hilo Hawaiian is okay if you MUST go to Hilo.

Just shy of terrible

Stayed in the Naniloa at the beginning of January 2005. The pluses to this hotel are location, price, and laundry facility. This last one is important because you will feel the need to wash everything that may have touched the carpet in your room. We used this hotel for the sole purpose of sleeping- we didn't hang out in the room watching TV, we didn't use the pool or hot tub- and I still don't think I would stay here again. Our room looked out at the water (nice) and was on the fourth floor. The room was run down and the hallway did smell like garbage as others have noted. Although some on this site have complained about Hilo, check out Richardson Beach and Champagne Pond for great snorkeling (both mentioned in the terrific book "Hawaii: The Big Island Revealed").

deal of the century

by TripAdvisor Member fllre

We stayed at Naniloa for 1 week starting Dec25 to 31 after booking the deal of the century through Expedia and we were very happy!! I have been reading some of the other reviews and never had any odour in the room or moldy carpet or other things people are saying. We were on 8th floor facing ocean. Beautiful view, wonderful sound of waves and rustling palm tress, watched pretty cruise-ships lit up like Christmas trees coming in and out of harbour. I think many people have a tendency to do a lot of driving when visiting the Big Island. Naniloa makes a great home-base. Our room was just as clean as could be, the bedding was very crisp and bleachy-white! Lots of white-white towels, the bath areas were just sparkling clean. We had just had a very unfortunate experience at Aqua Kuhio Village in Waikiki so now we were really on guard for cockroaches, mold, dirt or whatever. You will not find that here. Yes this is an older building and maybe furniture is a bit 'out of style' but it is very clean and tidy. I saw the pools being vacuumed every morning and you can smell the chlorine level is kept right up there. The grounds around the property are very well kept, with hardly a blade of grass out of place. There are 2 restaurants. One I suspect is managed by the hotel and the other is leased out. The Chinese food restaurant had very good food and they have recently been voted best Chinese food restaurant in Hilo by the readers of the local newspaper. Excellent value and we would definately stay there again.

Definitely Don't Chance Staying Here!!

First, I would like to begin by saying that I have traveled extensively (staying at least 100 nights/yr in a hotel room) and have never complained to a hotel manager or written an unfavorable review about a hotel. Until now!!! My family of 5 stayed one night in two rooms at the Naniloa on October 24th, 2004. The only reason we decided to stay in Hilo was its close proximity to Volcanoes National Park. It was by far the worst hotel I have ever been in. The carpets were filthy, the walls were stained and chipped, the bathrooms were disgustingly dirty and in desperate need of updating (they appeared to have been constructed in the 50's), and the sheets....well, I'd rather not go there. I certainly do not know how or why the health department allows them to operate. I am being totally honest when I say that if I had the choice to stay at this hotel or in my car.....I would choose my car. When we checked out of the hotel early the next morning, I voiced my concerns and complaints to the manager. He was not willing to reduce my rates for the two rooms, but he did offer free breakfast coupons. There was no way my family would eat one bite of food from a restaurant in that hotel after seeing all of the filth we saw. Please be warned if you have plans or are planning on visiting this hotel. I certainly would like to know the room(s) in which the person(s) who wrote the "favorable" reviews stayed since the elevators and entire hallway where our rooms were located were carbon copies of the conditions of our rooms. Take my advice and pay more to stay at the Volcanoes hotel....

Needs Renovation

Stayed at the Hawaii Naniloa in July 2004 (its a short drive to Volcano National Park). Our reserve included an oceanview upgrade. On the way to our room - we noticed a moldy smell and badly stained carpet. Oh but the shock when I entered the room - what a dump! And the moldy smell was worst!! not to mention huge carpet discoloration, outdated, beat up/chipped furniture, crud on bath fixtures, and of course - a parking lot view. Nothing fit their advertisements nor what we reseved. I knew I couldn't sleep or bathe here. Back to the front desk to express my disappointment and total dissatisfaction. Inquired if all the rooms were the same (no reply to the question). So I asked for recommendations of other hotels in the bay (no reply to that either). But the friendly and sympathic receptionist asked me to take a look at another room and let her know what I thought. It turned out to be The Prince Philip Suite. It was like night and day. Everything was new (carpet, furniture, coffee makers, mini refrig - everything - and 3 balconies- 2 off the living room and one off the bedroom, each with magnificent views of Hilo Bay). It was what you'd expect at a 3 to 4star. My gut is they are still renovating from the 1960 Chile tsunami that reached Hilo Bay. So don't be mislead by advertisements. And whoever gave a favorable review obviously stayed in this suite or similar room and did not venture much further.

Comments