Holua Resort at the Mauna Loa Village

78-7190 Kaleiopapa Street, Kailua-Kona, Hawaii, 96740, United States
Holua Resort at The Mauna Loa Village
Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

More about Holua Resort at the Mauna Loa Village

Great stay at the Holua...

by TripAdvisor Member B0urne

We just returned from a week's stay at the Holua Resort. As I had read a lot of reviews on this site to judge the quality, I am doing my part to write a review too.

The resort is a great place to stay as long as you know what you are looking for. It is not a Marriott or Hilton quality condo property but is a notch above the rest.

Pros..
The unit is large and well kept. The furnishings were too "green" fro my liking but were not jarring either. The resort has taken care to maintain the place.
The resorts grounds are close to perfect. Being a HGVC owner, I have stayed in Hilton Wiakoloa and Holua's is better. It is a lush tropical paradise on an island known for its barren lava landscape.
The staff is great and friendly at the front office. Most of our requests were met promptly.
Biggest Plus - Availability of Wireless Internet connection within the property. It may be $10 per day but I need to stay connected.
Beach equipment rental. - They have a reasonable renatal policy for all beach related stuff like mats, umbrella, cooler, towels etc. The cost of renting it for a week is about $10 fro the umbrella, cooler etc. The towels and mats are complimentary.
Restaurant Discount Card - It does shave off 15% or so at select restaurants.
Great tennis facilities.
Availability of a large number of grills on the property. As we were travelling with an infant, a large portion of our meals were cooked in the unit.
Even though the parking is centralized, the walk is barely 2-3 city blocks to the farthest unit at best. I found it to be a non issue.
Free mid week housekeeping service with an option of a paid cleaning anytime.

Cons...
Access to beach - Even though the property is an oceanfront one, it lacks a beachfront access. The closest beach mentioned on this site is a snorkeling beach. If a large expansive beach is what you had in mind, Hapuna and A-Bay near Wialokoa are a better bet.
Pools - They are nice and plenty but they are not "resort pools".
Onsite Activities - They are not too many onsite activities. The Mai Tai party with its Polynesian show can be termed as quaint and charming.

I would rate it a 5 as the Pros far outnumered the cons. Also, there are alternatives to the "cons" mentioned on the island making it the best choice in Kona area. As a FYI, Four Seasons, Kona Village resort and Hilton are not in Kona and are in Wiakoloa.

Fantastic Stay!!!

What a great experience we had at the Holua Resort. My husband and I stayed at The Holua from April 24th - April 27th, while on our honeymoon. We were upgraded, much to our surprise to a (2) BDRM unit that was just beautiful. Check-in was a breeze and the staff was very helpful and considerate at every turn. The unit was huge with the bedrooms downstairs and the family area and kitchen upstairs. Patios off of the bedrooms and living room had a great view and were very spacious. The kitchen was well stocked and the whole unit was very clean. Loved the stackable washer and dryer. Loved the Mai-Tai Party that we attended on the second night we were there, my husband was taken on stage and taught the hula. Very good food and VERY good Mai-Tai's. We hated to check-out, it had started to feel like our second home.
We are already planning our return trip for next year. Thank you for such a wonderful experience. We would recommed it highly.

A very nice time.

by TripAdvisor Member Kosmonaute

Because our parents made the reservation/payment, I can not comment on the price or value, but I can comment on our experience. We were at the Holua Resort for a week and had an excellent stay. From check-in and on, the staff were very attentive and informative, calling us periodically to inform us of events taking place on the resort. The porters on the golf carts were especially friendly, always saying hello while driving by and offering a ride for our dad....they were very, very nice.

Our two bedroom condo was in building 16, number 102. The ground floor had a living room, the two bedrooms, both with their own bathrooms, the washer/dryer, and a large lanai. The upper floor had the main living room, dinning room, kitchen, another bathroom, and another large lanai; there was more than enough room for the four of us. The electronics were also impressive, with each bedroom having a T.V./DVD combo and both living rooms had a large flat screen television and DVD player. Our building was next to one of the swimming pools, which were never crowded or noisy. However, on Saturday night one of the other condos had a party which was pretty loud and gave off a very noticeable smell of Maui Wowie. We weren't bothered by it, but I'm sure others might have been. We used the pool a few times, but not the exercise room or tennis courts.

The grounds were nicely kept....the water features were obviously artificial, but lots of nice flora, such as torch ginger, tiare, and of course, plumeria. There was some nice fauna too, with mongooses in the day and cats in the night. If you want to see the ocean, the Sheraton is a short walk away and has nice grounds to walk around. The Keauhou Shopping Center is conveniently only a few minutes away by car and has a grocery store, movie theatre, post office, and a number of restaurants. The Outrigger Keauhou is another few minutes beyond and is an excellent place to have a drink while watching the sunset, while Kailua-Kona is another few minutes down the road.

All in all, we had a very comfortable and pleasant stay at the Holua Resort and would definitely return.

Our Home on the Big Island

by TripAdvisor Member jpetretti

My new fiance and I (proposed while on the big island) stayed at the Holua Resort May 3-10, 2006. When arriving we are always a little skeptical about what is awaiting us. When we arrived at the holua we were greeted by excellent service and friendliness. They gave us a choice of two rooms, one upstairs and one downstairs. We chose the upstairs 1 bedroom unit as it is much more open with the tall ceilings and fan. The unit was absolutely wonderful. Everything you could possibly need was there. A full kitchen in which we cooked many breakfast's and a dinner or two. A washer and dryer, and nice tv's with DVD players.
Our unit Had a great lanai overlooking the grounds and a view of the mountains. It was an awesome view of the sunrise each morning when there was no fog. Sipping coconut coffee and watching the sunrise over the mountains is something you have to do while in Kona. The only thing that is a little disspointing at the Holua is the pools. While it is nice to have noone else around you, after visiting the Sheraton down the road, the pools at the Holua seem like kiddie pools at a retirement home. We didn't mind too much considering most of the days we were gone. And we did hop on over to the Sheraton for a few sunsets in their hottub...but keep in mind they will ask for a room key, especially in the middle of the day. If you go late they may be lazy and let you walk right by.
The walks at the grounds are not bad...although we do walk a lot at home in San Francisco. If you are in horrible shape it may be a little tough for you after a while. The only time it wasn't great for us was if you forget something in the car and need it late at night. By the end of the trip the Holua felt like home to us. It was so relaxing during the day to have your doors open and feel the fan blowing a soft breeze on you. The grounds and sounds coming from the birds are so peaceful. We did not want to leave our home away from home, however we will be back.

Beyond expectation

by TripAdvisor Member kumincir

I had a pleasant stay at Mauna Loa Village. When we came, everything has been cleaned and prepared. The air conditioner was turned on . Towels , pillows and blankets are plenty . There were only two of us who's staying , but even if we have 1 or 2 more people , the space will still just nice . We got 1 bedroom with a nice small kitchen and living room with big tv and sofa bed . They even put blender, mixer and baking tools and laundry soap . Overall I am happy with it.
It's just that when I went home , I need to check $100 they charged to my debit card which was actually for verification/deposit . I spoke with a girl in the front desk . She put me on hold for a long time, saying that she needed to check her computer. I wait and I hung up, because she didn't get back to me . Eventually I managed to talk to her again and settle the issue. So it's a bit downside .

Ants, noise, and unprofessional staff

by TripAdvisor Member ReviewWPB

We moved from a first floor one-bedroom apartment to a second floor one-bedroom (for a $70.00 cleaning fee) after a sleepless night: The TV in the second floor apartment was on all night, and at 6:15am the occupants decided to move around, slam doors, drop stuff on the floor. You will need to book the 2-bedroom apartment to have the bedroom on the upper floor. One-bedroom apartments can be on the first or second floor. The construction of these buildings is so poor that the ceiling fan swings back and forth when a person walks on the upper floor. However, do not count on sufficient a/c cooling on the upper floor.

Pest: Kitchen and bathroom, floors and even the nightstand infested with ants.

Noise: If you are seeking peace and quiet, you will be out of luck during the day too: Housekeeping staff is blasting the stereo systems (located in each apartment) while cleaning.

Location: These apartments are located in a hilly and high-density mixed area where you will need a car to get anywhere, even a simple store. There is no beach and big construction is going on adjacent to the property. If you are looking for white beaches, you will need to book properties on the Kohala Coast.

Overall, the Big Island’s service and level of professionalism let much to be desired compared to Oahu. The Big Island experiences a severe labor shortage for low-skilled labor (as reported in the Islands' newspaper during our stay). Maybe a reason for many of the attitude problems that one can encounter on this island.

Tip: Get gas and food at Costco. It will save you a bundle!

Beautiful place!

by TripAdvisor Member MLE642

This is a very nice resort although as with many place on the Big Island (this was our third trip), the construction is a bit shabby. We had a fantastic view, very comfortable accomodations (2 bedrooms and 2 baths on the first floor and a large open living space with 1/2 bath upstairs). The decor is a bit too bright for me - lime green walls - but it was fine for a week. There are several pools on the grounds so we were just a three minute walk from 2 or 3 of them. Everything was nicely kept etc. Still, although we had no common walls so no neighbor noise, I could hear my husband and kids walking around upstairs like they were wearing concretee shoes when I was in bed. BTW, this has happened at every Hawaiian resort we've stayed at - except we had strangers upstairs who were noisier. I think that reflects the construction codes. Oddly, all cars are kept ina covered garage and you need to walk to your condo. As we had requested a waterview, we were at the far end of the resort. We didn't mind the three minute walk but it might bother some. Staff does bring your bags, groceries etc in golf cart. They will also drive youif you need it. The resort is near a small mall - not much happening but good for a beer, burgers and a drugstore (good Thai restaurant there too). Iti s also pretty close in to downtown Kona and well on the way to Hounaunau. I prefer this location to Waikoloa which has too many hotels/crowds etc. FYI, there is constrcution going on next door (next to our unit actually) but they were working on another part of the property and it wasn't bad at all. We'd stay here again, no problem.

So nice we bought a time-share there!

by TripAdvisor Member gabelzer

My wife and I each had never been to Hawaii and wanted to go on our honeymoon. I exchanged a week through RCI and was apprehensive when RCI sent me a note that there was construction nearby the resort. As it turned out there was nothing to worry about, the Mauna Loa was beautiful and in a great location.

We had a two bedroom, and, given the fact that our condo could have slept 6-8, I felt guilty about not using all the space by bringing the kids. The units were very clean with two bedrooms downstairs and a living room (with pull-out sofa) upstairs. There are TVs and DVD players in every room and even a home theatre system in the living room. You are in your own separate apartment in little villages, surrounded by other people in their own apartments. It's private and very nice.

There are tennis courts on the grounds, tons of parking and about 10 small swimming pools with hot-tubs.

The Manua Loa is right next to a very nice hotel, the Sheraton, and I highly recommend going to the Sheraton at night to watch the Manta-rays at night (trust me on this its a great experience, you'll hear about it from other people). You can also walk down to the water to sign up for a boat trip or snorkeling excursion. The area is also minutes away from a shopping plaza where you can get groceries to keep in your large fridge, or grab dinner at night. There is also an internet cafe in the plaza, but no internet in the room unless you pay a fee.

The big island is beautiful and we fully explored it, driving around the entire island twice. You will need a rental car to get around.

We were solicited to buy a time-share several times and ended up taking a tour with the property's owners. I would describe it as moderate-to-heavy pressure, but we did make some money out of attending at the cost of a couple of hours of our time on a rainy day. However, we did not buy from the resort, and instead found a week on an every-other year basis on e-bay. If you love Hawaii, I highly recommend you check e-bay before buying.

We'll be back to the Mauna Loa, especially since ATA will be flying directly to Kona shortly, which is much better than flying into Honolulu and taking a shuttle. If you haven't been to Hawaii previously, be aware that the air-flight does take a long time and the flights are packed.

A great place for a honeymoon and for anyone else looking to find paradise.

Excellent place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member Jennifer01

We stayed for a week using a timeshare swap through RCI.

You really need a car to get the most out of staying in this location. Very nearby is a shopping centre (Keauhou) with a KTA supermarket, a Longs drug store, theatres and restaurants.

We had a 2 story, 2BR apartment. The bedrooms were downstairs. Each had their own bathroom. 1 had a King Size bed, the other had 2 singles (possibly larger than standard singles). Upstairs was the living area, kitchen and a toilet.

Both bedrooms and the living area had televisions with a fairly good selection of cable TV. Our little one loved the fact that Disney channel was available.

Also in the room was a washer/dryer. Makes traveling with a little one a LOT easier when you can put a load of washing on.

The rooms themselves are not too close to the carpark, so traffic noise is not an issue. The staff are more than happy to give you a lift to your room in a golf buggy if required (and certainly do this at check-in and check-out).

The car park itself is undercover (good for keeping the car cool) and was never totally full whilst we were there.

The grounds of the resort were immaculate. A lot of staff were visible during the day busily going about tasks such as rubbish removal, room cleaning, ferrying people from the carpark to their rooms etc.

There are 8 pools with spas throughout the complex. They are all pretty similar in design and we had 2 within about the same distance (about a 1 minute walk).

Pool towels are supplied upon request . They're free unless you fail to return them when you check-out!.

A number of tennis courts are also on the grounds.

Also scattered around are a number of gas grills for use by the guests. We used them to cook our dinner a couple of times.

We also had a complementary newspaper delivered each morning.

The front desk was very helpful. We had a minor leak in the dishwasher, we reported it to the front desk, they had maintenance around within 15 minutes and it was fixed when we returned later in the day.

In addition, we requested a crib (Pack & Play I think they called it) which was already in our room when we arrived and was provided free of charge. Excellent service.

All in all, a lovely place to stay. Very nice apartment. Very nice staff. Great weather. Couldn't ask for more.

Not my style of awesome location

by TripAdvisor Member UtahFamilytraveler

We stayed here the first week of March 2007 and after spending a week in Kauai the previous week I was highly disappointed. Our room had a smell, it was outdated, carpet disgustingly dirty (we had our 1 year old crawling on it), just not my idea of a great room. The ads for it shows 8 pools and hot tubs, sorry but not that great. They are small and are scattered around the property.

I jumped into booking Kona and apparently didn't do my homework. We love Maui, have been there 3 times, had just been to Kauai, the Garden Isle, and then landed literally in a volcano. I had no idea the whole island was covered in lava rock. Not that it wasn't cool, just didn't expect it coming from the greenest place in the hawaiian islands.

We took a drive to the volcano, definately a day trip. You need to stop at the black sand beach, one of the coolest places I have seen. The best tour we took was the bus tour up to the ranch where the first cowboys were (name skips my mind!) The ride is nice, they have an open bar of beer and wine, the country dinner was great, good entertainment including branding a piece of wood, roasting marshmallows, dancing and even a pig that you can feed. I was raised on a farm and definately think that it was worth the money to see the area and meet the people and my girls loved it.

We went snorkeling to Captain Hooks cove, I'm not a big fan of swimming with the fish, but this was by far the best snorkeling I have ever done, including Molokini Island. I think it's rated in the top 5 places in the world. We sat around in the boat and did some whale watching, saw a bunch of dolphins and explored a cave on the way back. Well worth the money.

The booze cruise, I think called Captain Beans, was one of the best times we had. They pick you up at the dock downtown and you go on this 2 or 3 hour cruise with entertainment, food and drinks. We met some nice couples and even met some of them for drinks later.

For good food you pretty much need to go downtown, the shopping area right above the condos is great for groceries but we only had one good meal at the Japanese restaurant. We had a memorable and fun time in Kona but I would not return after having previously been to the other islands. Maybe if it had been our first time in Hawaii ever I would have given it a better rating.

Comments