Honu Kai B&B Kailua-Kona

stayed at

Kurt's B&B Edge of...

by chk754

stayed at

Kurt's B&B Edge of the world http://www.the-b-and-b-registry.com/usa/hawaii/edge-of-the-world.bnb - give my best greetings to kurt

Akiko's

Hotel Honokaa Club

Joe's Strawberry Guava B&B

Aloha Junction B&B - fabulous lodging in Volcano

by DeniseGoldberg about Aloha Junction B And B

I stayed at Aloha Junction on my bike tour of the Big Island in May 2003.

When I called to make the reservation and Susan asked how many people there would be I told her there would be one person and one bicycle. She responded by telling me that they'd just repaired their backyard jacuzzi - and that she thought I'd enjoy it after biking. That sounded good to me - bike from sea level to 4000 feet of elevation, then hop into a hot tub! I chose the room with at pillow-top queen bed, and was told that was the best choice in the house. I received a prompt confirmation and directions by email.

After staying at Aloha Junction... Another fabulous B&B. The hosts own two houses on the grounds. They live in one, and use the second as the Bed & Breakfast - so the guests have access to the entire house. My room was lovely, and shared a bath with two other guest rooms. There was a wonderful living room with comfortable couches and a gas fireplace, a nice dining room, and a full kitchen which the guests were welcome to use. And there is a tree house out front that houses two twin beds - an interesting place to stay if you don't mind heights! There was a computer with internet access (free), and a jacuzzi in the back yard. Again, I was given a sheltered spot for my bike. The breakfasts here were out of this world. My first morning's breakfast was papaya, bananas, coffee, pancakes, and sausage. My second morning's breakfast was papaya, bananas, coffee, and a marvelous quiche. Aloha Junction is in Volcano Village, so it is walking distance to both a store and to several cafes and restaurants. I was on a Thai food kick while I was here, so I actually picked up take-out from the local Thai restaurant Thai Thai on both nights that I was here (great food, by the way). Both the host and the woman who did the cooking were wonderful. And as I was leaving, Robert told me to make sure to tell my friends about Aloha Junction, saying that they like to have cyclists stay there. I definitely recommend this one! There are a couple of pictures of Aloha Junction on the lodging page of my Hawaii Dreaming biking journal.

If you are staying in Waikiki...

by saritas

If you are staying in Waikiki in a full service hotel, the Banyon by Sheriton was lovely with nice help and fine food. New arrivals received a fresh flower lei. We also stayed at the Hilton's large Hawaiian Village complex on the other side (west) of Waikiki. It was an OVER grown, VERY crowded facility. If I went again, I'd stay in a B&B and walk to the beach. The beaches are public.
$200-250. If you have AAA it is cheaper. buffet breakfast is quite extensive and also caters to oriental folks, with a large selection for them.
Price was HIGH: $19.00.
Historic section of the hotel is the nice part. ASk for a room there.

Mara's is a great...

by diver-x about Mara's Dive

Mara's Dive
Mara's is a great little B&B in the Kona District on the Big Island.
$55 - 85 USD / night. Mara has 2 rooms available. Each has a private toilet, and the shower is shared. That shower has the BEST view of Honaunau (Place of Refuge)! There is a screened-in shared kitchen area, where breakfast is served, and you are allowed to cook your own lunch & dinner if you choose. Adjacent to the kitchen is the lanai (deck) where there is a barbeque grill and pic-nic table. The view from the lanai is also superb!

Mara is a PADI dive instructor and has dive and snorkel equipment available to rent, as well as kayaks. She can take you on guided shore dives, or you can ask for her advice about dive spots and go off on your own. But you don't have to be a diver to enjoy Mara's Dive. We had a great time at Mara's!

By the way, Mara and her husband grow their own coffee and fruit (pictured), which is served for breakfast!

Update:
Mara no longer takes in guests for Bed & Breakfast :>( but she does still offer guided scuba dives from the shore in and around Captain Cook. So if you're a diver who prefers to have a guide in unfamiliar terrain, look her up!

Staying on the Big Island

by BlueCollar

A couple things to remember while planning your stay on the Big Island.

Like the name says, this island is BIG. On our last two trips here, we broke our stay into two parts: four nights Kona-side and three nights Hilo-side. This allowed us more time to explore more on each side of the island without having to drive for many hours each day. However, we still clocked over 1,400 miles on our rented Jeep in that time. So you can see that we still drove a lot. But the flipside is that we'd have had to drive much further each day had we not separated our accommodation locations which would dramatically cut into our limited available time here.

You cannot effectively explore the volcano area while staying in Kona. Why? Well, although the total miles (about 100) between Kona and Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park is not that far, you spend much of that time driving on a roadway with low speed limits (25MPH in a few spots and 35MPH on many stretches). By the time you drove there and spent several hours you'd have to start back to your hotel. A lot of time is wasted this way. And this is not even taking into consideration time to explore areas like South Point's wind farm and the greensand beach.

So split your stay on this island and have more time to explore each side's distinct characteristics. You'll be glad you did.

Also note that if you chose to stay in the town of Volcano, be ready for a damp feel to everything along with cool weather. Because of the elevation (about 3,500 feet), the weather is cool. And because of the wind patterns bringing moist air up the mountainside, it was very wet. Everything made of cloth at our B&B had a damp feel. Personally, I didn't like it. The owners told us that it takes severals days for denim jeans to air dry here. Even then, they have a damp feel.

B&B in Volcano

by keehotee about Aloha Junction Bed & Breakfast

Pleasant, quiet Bed & Breakfast in Volcano, HI. Near the entrance to Volcano NP. Friendly hosts, great rooms, excellent breakfast.

Honu Kai - Has to be the Best B&B on the Big Island

by TripAdvisor Member SandRSydney

We spent four wonderful days at Honu Kai and cannot recommend this B and B highly enough. Wendi and Dave are superb hosts - generous, helpful and knowledgeable about their island. Their delightful property is set in a stunning tropical garden, the rooms are tastefully decorated with great attention to detail and the breakfasts are excellent. Wendi and Dave go above and beyond the call of duty when looking after their guests. We felt privileged to be able to enjoy their home and hospitality.
S. and R.
Sydney
AUSTRALIA

You MUST stay here if you are on the big island!

by TripAdvisor Member keyequine

We are leaving the Honu Kai today and are very sad to see it go. Wendy and Dave a definitely set the bar high for every other B&B on the island. Everything you have read is true, the house is beautiful, the yard amazing, Wendy makes a fantastic breakfast and then goes out of her way to make sure your experience on the island is perfect. She gave solid advice on where to go, packed a snack with cool drinks to go, even lent us boogie boards and a cooler for lunch. Dave gave us a tour of the yard compete with interesting facts about the local flora and fauna. The lanai was great, we enjoyed sitting with a cool drink watching the local cat Marmalade "play" with the abundant geckos! We could easily come back and spend an entire week here. Thanks Wendy and Dave for a great stay.

Peaceful Paradise!

by TripAdvisor Member KandE_Hen

After a full day of traveling from the Mainland, Wendi and David greeted us with a delightful glass of wine along with cheese and crackers on their beautiful lanai. We previously had thought of maybe going into town to get a bite to eat but ended up visiting with Wendi and David for a few hours until we couldn't stay awake anymore. They have lived interesting lives so they were very fun to visit with. It was the perfect way to start our trip - a very relaxing and inviting home with beautiful gardens and water fountains. Very comfy bed (in a room that felt brand new) and with the windows open at night we felt like we were sleeping outside with the fountains, the big trees enveloping the room and birds nearby. Very large deck off from our bedroom had lots of morning sun to lounge in. Breakfast was more than we could eat with lots of fresh fruit, eggs, bacon etc. Wendi and Dave gave us lots of information on restaurants and tours that was very helpful. We enjoyed Boston Basils a couple of times during our visit at their recommendation. We only wish we would have stayed here longer than one night!

Looking for Aloha? Look no further

by TripAdvisor Member Silvercherry22

After sending a reservation email to Wendi, she called me back within the hour to sort out all the details. When we arrived there, we were greeted by both owners with a big Aloha hug and some aperitif to relax and enjoy their wonderful terrasse. As a couple of more guests arrived we all went to a local restaurant to finish the evening, it was like visiting your favourite relatives (only I wish I had relatives this nice!).
Wendi and Dave are amazing, thoughtful and caring people. We often sat down with them to "talk story", they both have travelled a lot for work and so have we and it was delightful to share stories with them. Although they are not native Hawaiians, they know a lot about the islands and the history, and can explain a lot about the legends of Hawaii.
But the house set up is such that you have privacy whenever you want. Each room has a lanai, either private or to share with another room. We actually stayed in both the bungalow and one of the upstairs bedrooms, and both were nicely decorated (no flower bedspreads!), with lots of wonderful touches (chocolates for the late night nibble, bottles of water, Tv with dvd player if thats your thing). They will also give you body boards and beach towels if you need to.
Our luggage had got lost when we arrived so Wendi lent us some clothes to change and arranged everything with the airline to have our luggage delivered to their place. Also they had booked us on a couple of excursions before we got there so everything was organised and sorted.
Needless to say the breakfasts were great as well, very varied and filled with fruit from their garden.
I could go on and on but what I would say is: whatever you are looking for, go there, Wendi and Dave truly have a sixth sense to make you feel confortable.
Our only regret: we should have stayed longer! Mahalo Wendi and Dave

B&B EntranceB&B Entrance

My Island B&B and GordonMy Island B&B and Gordon

We loved this B&B on Moloka`iWe loved this B&B on Moloka`i

Southern Hotel B&B, Ste Genevieve, MissouriSouthern Hotel B&B, Ste Genevieve, Missouri

B&B

by GUYON

After some attempts of B&B, I noticed there are 2 kinds of B&B :
- some are little hotels
- other are really in a private house and one was the guests of the owners.

During our little experience, we saw only once the 2nd type of B&B (in Lancaster : see my accomodation Page). The other times, we felt to be in a hotel with a small room.

Our pleasure in B&B is to stay by somebody and to discuss and aonly the 2nd type matches the request.

Q : is it common to find a true familial B&B in USA (West and East Coasts especially) ?
How to identify them ?

Thanks
RAY

Re: B&B

by LizC

Hi Ray,

It's easy to tell from the B&B's website, they normally will let you know up front, if the owner's name's amiss, or from the info on the site you could not tell, usually it's not the kind you and I are after.

Yes, I am sure you can find not just a true family owned and opeated B&B, but a great one like Rogers House B&B in Utah, a 5* comfort at 2* rate, and the most hospitable, friendly and gracious host anywhere. (you really feel you are one of their house quest, info on my Utah page).

There are lots of B&Bs in USA, and most of them are super nice and normally well worth the extra money. If you are welling to pay for it, I am sure you'll have a fantastic trip.

Have a great B&B trip in America!

Liz

by ladyfisher

some others

by madamx

Guyon, we stayed in a large one bedroom apartment (with kitchen and pull out couch ) in San Francisco that is really reasonable in price. It is a renovated old victorian building which is beautifully decorated, and located in Upper Haight, which in my opinion, is quite safe for your family. There is a bus service right across the street, and we had no problem taking public transit all over the city. There is a large kitchen, and breakfast food is provided to make breakfast at your own leisure. We spent two weeks there for our honeymoon, and we didn't want to leave. Go to www.bedandbreakfast.com, and search San Francisco. The b and b is called Buena Vista Park B and B. I highly recommend this place, it's awesome!!! (and it has two bathrooms :o) )

by Deus_ultima

ALL B&B's in Quebec are private houses (COME HERE!!)

(see baie saint paul and magog)

by FreeCloud

This site has many nice B&B's you might be interested in:

You could also search online with keywords like 'city or town name, bed and breakfast'

Best luck.

B&B in the area

by Ligia67

Since big resorts are not my thing, would anyone be able to recommend a bed and breakfast in Kailua-Kona area?

Tks,

RE: B&B in the area

by BlueCollar

Although we have stayed at B&B's while in Hawai`i, we have never stayed in one while in Kona. However, I have found some that look very promising for our next trip to this area. Here's a link for you to look at:

For more peace and quiet, you may want to select something in South Kona. The Capt. Cook/Kealakekua area looks prime.

RE: RE: B&B in the area

by tahoesasha

We ALMOST stayed at this place, and they were really really friendly over the phone. (sorry can't help more :) I think this would have been much quieter and relaxing compared to where we did stay, in a residential neighborhood.

Re: B&B in the area

by hicksspa

A great place to start is the Hawaii Island Bed and Breakfast Association, http://stayhawaii.com/. One of my favorite B&B's is in Puako. The Puako Bed and Breakfast, http://www.bigisland-bedbreakfast.com/ for an authentic Hawaiian experience!

B&B experiences

by Sarahcrobertson

Hello, I am a freelance reporter for a finance magazine working on a story about B&Bs and Giampiero suggested I post my query on the site. I am looking to speak to people who regularly stay at B&Bs or people who have had an interesting experience at one recently. For example, you went to a B&B and were under-whelmed -- the actual facilities weren't as plush as advertised, etc....I'd also like to talk to someone who was surprised by the amenities (high speed internet, business center, etc..). Any other interesting anecdotes would be great as well.
If you fit the bill and would like to be interviewed, please e-mail me your anecdote at SarahCRobertson@yahoo.com. Thank you for your help.

Best, Sarah Robertson