1.5 out of 5 stars1.5 Star

Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 1.5 star hotels

• aiclc's Profile Photo

awesome

only stayed here one night (last night in Hawaii) but i wished we couldve stayed longer! everyone was really cool and it was a comfortable place to go back to and pass out after drinking at the Fish Hopper :)

• prymsu's Profile Photo

Super Clean and Cost Effective

Staff and grounds were immaculate. This is a family run hotel that is run like a tight ship. Nice and quiet location. Breakfast included. I believe there must have been a mistake on Orbitz when I booked this place because it cost me about twelve dollars a night to stay here. Can't go wrong for that price! There are nice ponds with big gold fish that are wonderful to look at, and the grounds are well taken care of.

Unique Quality: It says it is Seaside in the name, but this is a little misleading. You are staying across the street from a little bay where a lot of the locals come to swim.

• AlohaDean's Profile Photo

We stay in Kona Seaside Hotel,...

We stay in Kona Seaside Hotel, good choice and value and very handy place.

Unique Quality: price, great price for car renting

More about Kona Seaside Hotel

Budget Kona accomodations

by Jim_Eliason about Kona Seaside Hotel

Very basic and a little dated, however one of the few low cost accomodations to be found on the Island. It's a basic clean place to sleep for the night very close to the tourist section of Kona but not within walking distance of the beach.

Convenience in Kona

by eclipseTraveler about Kona Seaside Hotel

This hotel is in a great location. It is convenient to all sorts of shopping and dining and exploring.

It is not fancy, but is a good place to spend the night.

You can eat your complimentary continental breakfast overlooking the ocean in from their restaurant (but I would recommend ordering a real breakfast using the coupon you get when you check in, the continental breakfast was just a danish in plastic and coffee)

Some advice: ask to stay on the Garden side of the hotel. The street side is very noisy at night.

I had heard that parking was hard to find there, but never had a problem getting a space in the hotel's parking lot.

Bad Vibe...

by TripAdvisor Member myself

My husband and I felt very uncomfortable here. We were only staying in the Big Island for 2 nights, and were taking a Mauna Kea tour from around the corner of the Kona Seaside hotel, so I thought this hotel was so conveniently located it was worth it. Well, the location is indeed centric and convenient to explore the island, but the place is a dump. We paid extra for the deluxe room (only $95) and it was EXTREMELY noisy... I used to live right in downtown Boston and this was WAY worse. The room was large and clean, but everything looked like it was at least 30-40 years old. What we disliked the most was the bad vibe we got from everybody there: everybody we dealt with was UNPLEASANT and RUDE, and we frankly felt unsafe in the area (again, I am used to commute in the subway in Boston and NYC all the time, and I don't get scared too easily). We'll never stay here again... stay in Waikoloa if you're visiting the Big Island. It's WAY better.

Good choice if you're on a limited budget

I'll admit I was a bit apprehensive after reading previous reviews of the Kona Seaside, but we had a good experience here.
Don't expect the Ritz-Carlton, but if you'd rather spend your money on activities (diving, whalewatching), this hotel might be for you. The double beds could be a little longer for this 6' 8" traveler, but the front desk staff was very helpful in changing us to a room with a king-size bed. Rooms and grounds were clean, and the staff friendly. However, do try to get a room away from the main road--it can be noisy.
Their restaurant probably won't win any Michelin stars, but serves a decent breakfast at a reasonable price.
The location is hard to beat as well: it's close to the center of town, with plenty of restaurants, shops, and activities within walking distance.

Creepy

by TripAdvisor Member lizzygirl

We stayed a the Kona Seaside during low season & were bitterly disappointed. We cheacked in at 3 & there was a line of people waiting for their rooms to be ready. We had to sit in the ugly lobby for an hour. The staff was rude & unprofessional. They dresses as if on the was to a low brow night club (cleavage, too much make up & high-high heels). The aloha spirt is completely absent here.

We asked for an even # room (ocean veiw) and they denied us. We did get the top floor of the tower with a view of the street & parking lot with is constantly jammed and too small (we had to park on the street almost every night because we drove to a restaurant to eat). If you aren't parked by 3 pm, forget it! No bugs seen, but the leuver windows don't seal to I smelled tour bus exhaust an heard the noise in the morning.

It is very convenient to the Kona Harbor, but that is about the only positive. Basically, you don't get what you pay for; you get a little less.

Blood on the sheets YUCK

I have stayed at some gross hotels but when i went to get into bed and pulled the covers back and found blood on the sheets i was very grossed out!! A cockroach or ants don't bother me but blood on the sheets and it wasn't just a little drop it was a lot and right by were you would put ur head there's no way the housekeeper didn't see that on the sheets when making the bed, i called the front desk and told them and they said well you have 2 double beds can't u just sleep in the other one, i was like i have two other registered guest in the room with me we don't want to all sleep together, she said she would send someone right up and no one ever showed so i slept on top of the covers with beach towel i had brought from home under me!! Be aware if u stay there, check ur bed first before entereing

Worth the Price

This is an old hotel, but well maintaned. We stayed in the tower and the rooms were very large and clean. This the perfect hotel if you spend most of your time out and about. The hotel does not have the admenities of a resort hotel. Bring your own shampoo, and if you want fluffy towels bring them. If your are looking for a comfortable place to sleep at night this is the place. I would stay there again.
As for the noise, close the windows and turn on the air conditioner and everything was fine.

Avoid this place if you can

Here is what we (myself and my wife) found bad about this hotel
1) The staff is not very helpful. Apart from saying "aloha" and "sorry" they will not help you in any way.
2) They do not have drinking water on the premises. There is only a water fountain.
3) The rooms are cleaned very haphazardly. Sometimes one bed is made sometimes both are left as is.
4) We had a water outage in the hotel for 2 of the 4 days that we stayed there. There was no phone call to warn us of it, no apology, nothing.
5) If you want to find a place to park on the premises, then good luck to you.
6) The TV remote batteries had been drained of all their power and no one bothered to check it.
7) None of the staff asked us if our stay had been pleasant. I guess once they get their money, they dont give a damn.
8) We asked for 2 keys but were given only one. We were then to check by the desk and if they found another key for us we would get one!!
9) They do not offer even coffee for breakfast leave alone anything else.
10) We arrived at 1:40am at the hotel and were told that they couldnt give us the room until 3pm because they had to make sure that it was clean. We checked in around 2:40pm and upon entering the bathroom i found a COCKROACH. Boy, they sure cleaned the room well!!
All in All stay away from this hotel

Kona Seaside Hotel RoomKona Seaside Hotel Room