ResortQuest Kona By The Sea

75 - 6106 Alii Drive, (formerly Aston Kona by the Sea), Kailua-Kona, Hawaii, 96740, United States
Aston Kona by the Sea
Expedia.com AstonHotels.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about ResortQuest Kona By The Sea

Wonderful

by TripAdvisor Member JTB9110

We stayed in Room 222 of the ResortQuest Kona By The Sea in Kailua Kona from Feb 12th through Feb 21st of 2006. To sum up in one word it would be MARVELOUS. The accomodations were great, ocean front 2 bedroom condo with a generous sized lanai. There was a full kitchen with microwave and dishwasher as well as a washer/dryer. The best part of the resort was the personnel. If you are lucky enough to have Sarah check you in you will know what I mean. She made us feel like her personal guests - with a nice phone call after we checked in to see if everything was OK. (Tell her John and Jody from Philadelphia said "HELLO!") The ground staff made sure the pool and beach area was spotless every day. The location is OK, right on Ali'i Drive about 2 miles from Kailua Pier. The traffic in Kaliua seems horrendous at times so be prepared for that. I really can not say anything bad about this resort and I am sure anyone who is lucky enough to choose this resort will agree.

Nice condo property, average rooms

by TripAdvisor Member benaround

Just back from 4 nights at Kona by the Sea. It is on "condo row" along Alii Drive, 1.3 miles south of the Kailua-Kona seafront village. The property is very attractive: they were just completing a major landscaping project while we were there. The lobby and pool areas are simple but very adequate. Plenty of lounge chairs and pool towels at the pool and in a sandy "beach" area next to the black lava. This place is REAL CLOSE to the water and we enjoyed the sunsets, the sounds of the surf, as well as exploring the tidal pools during low tide. Sea turtles visited the shoreline. We cooked out one night at the gas grills located poolside.
Our party of 8 rented two 2/2 condos (402 and 404). They were large and had great views of the surf. The furniture was basic and rooms were clean. However, two drawbacks: carpets were stained and badly need replacing (com'on unit owner!) and the master bedrooms lacked privacy, being separated from the living room by retractable, louvered wall panels. Huh? Why not a real wall??
One more peeve: one coffee pack was supplied in the room. Additional packs can be purchased at the front desk for $1.00! For $270 per night, why not throw in a daily coffee ration!
This was a good base from which to explore the Big Island. Rental cars are mandatory for provisioning and exploration.

Views, location, size...did I mention views!

Spent 5 nights here and 3 nights at the Hilton Waikoloa. Kona by the Sea is a great condo complex, pretty much in between Kailua and Keauhou so getting to either place was fairly quick. The condo was spacious, having plenty of room for my family of 5 as well as being very clean. My only complaint and it's not much of one, but the kitchen and baths could use to be updated just a bit. That didn't detract from the stay as you get a fantastic view from almost any unit from what I could tell, but as ours was one of there "oceanfront" units(seems like they all were!) that view was exceptional! The grounds are clean and well kept and the staff was helpful and pleasent. In comparison to the Hilton the things I liked better about Kona by the Sea is the ease of getting in and out of your room, car, and the pool area. The Hilton is huge so getting around takes a lot more time and effort. Of course, the Hilton has many more pools and a secluded bay making water time much more fun than was possible at the nice but simple pool at Kona by the Sea. I liked both places for differnt reasons, If you want a nice easy going home like experiance while on the Big Island, stay at Kona by the Sea. If you like a Disneyland sort of experiance then I'd choose the Hilton. Either way you can't lose, Aloha bruddahs!

Exceeded My Expectations

by TripAdvisor Member Oceallaigh

My family and I just came back from an 8-day stay at Kona By The Sea and we were very favorably impressed by it. Yes, if we had paid more, we could have could have gotten a more "upscale" condo in Waikoloa but this condo more than met our needs. I especially wanted a condo next to the ocean so we could hear the surf in the evening and we were fortunate to get a condo next to the salt-water pool. And we like being further down Ali'i Drive, away from the busier/noisy end of the road. Although there were only three of us, we were in no danger of bumping into each other because the condo was plenty spacious for us. The kitchen included just about everything we needed (including a rice cooker) to "eat-in" when we wanted to. We also used the BBQ grills in the sandy area to cook dinner one evening. We were very pleased with our decision to stay in Kailua-Kona, rather than Waikoloa, and we were very pleased with this condo. The next time we're on the Big Island, we'll gladly use it again.

Spacious Kona by the Sea

by TripAdvisor Member 2Cachers

My husband and I spent 6 nights at a Kona by the Sea condo. We had an ocean front room (Room #223 on the second floor) and it was very close to the water (I'd say right on the water) and had excellent views. The room and lanai (balcony) were very spacious. We had plenty of room for the two of us in this one bedroom, two full bath unit, which also had a convertible couch. The condo had a kitchen with microwave, crockpot, blender, toaster, coffeemaker, just about every appliance you could need in addition to a range and refrigerator and was stocked with dishes and utensils. There was also a washer and dryer. The best part was the approx. 9' by 16' lanai overlooking the ocean. The lanai had plenty of room for a table and chairs as well as a chaise lounge. Did I mention that it was right on the ocean and the views were incredible! We saw tropical fish, sea turtles, crabs, and even dolphins right from our balcony. The grounds are very pleasant with a clean, sandy area and lots of palm trees. It was a real treat to have the sliders open and hear the crashing of the surf and the birds in the trees. It was like bringing the outdoors in. At night, the unit was very quiet and we almost felt like we had the entire place to ourselves. The carpet and furnishings were obviously not new, but clean, comfortable, and presentable so we had no complaints. We only spent a little time in the mornings and the late evenings at our unit and I felt somewhat bad that we did not have more time to spend at our condo because it was so nice, pleasant, peaceful and relaxing. All in all, we had a great time, would definitely spring for the ocean front again, and will return to Kona by the Sea should we ever get the opportunity to do so in the future.

Truly paradise!

by TripAdvisor Member CAMMAZZ

We stayed in this condo hotel for 5 days in January. Convenient and close to everything in Kona, we had very clean accommodations, oceanfront. Woke to the sound of the surf every morning! Coffee and breakfast on the lanai every morning. The spa is great in this place -- had an oceanfront massage -- the best I've ever experienced. Hotel staff were great -- good, efficient service. We are definitely returning to this hotel when we visit Kona again!

Excellent condo!

by TripAdvisor Member hellow1984

We stayed in a 2-bedroom condo (unit 110) for a week in March. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would definitely stay here again! The staff were friendly, and very responsive. For our family of 5--including 3 teenagers--our condo was spacious. We really enjoyed the huge lanai overlooking the ocean and right above the pool area.

The whole condominium is being renovated. The signs said that all work would be done from 9 AM to 5 PM, and we were not inconvenienced with any of the work being done the whole week we were there. Our unit was showing signs of age, with some mold stains near the air conditioning unit and outdated cabinetry. However, the condo's spaciousness, functionality and great location made up for any minor aging signs.

We had breakfast and dinner on the lanai every day, watching the kids swim in the pool, boogie boarders in the ocean, and even saw whales one day out on the ocean. The condo's location is convenient to Kona, great snorkeling beaches and other sites. After driving all over the island to check out other resort locations, we were very happy we stayed where we did.

Loved this place

The Kona by the Sea condos were spacious and decorated nicely. The kitchen had evrything you needed and more. Close to shops, rest., etc... The staff also gets a thumbs up, they were all friendly and so very helpful. Thanks for making my 1st visit to Hawii a great experience. When I do come back I know where I'll be staying.

Great Place to Stay

My husband, daughter and I stayed in room 207. It is a one bedroom, 2 bath unit with a full kitchen, and very large deck overlooking the ocean. The condo was great. It had everything we needed: a sofa bed in the living room, washer/dryer, well stocked kitchen, dishwasher, etc. The condo is not fancy - but it was clean and well kept. The sofa and beds were comfortable.

The condo unit is well located within a few miles of great beaches for snorkeling and swimming.

I travel very often with my job and I am pretty fussy when it conmes to hotels, I can honestly highly recommend Kona by the Sea for anyone going on a family vacation.

Great Place to Stay

Stayed in a 2bdrm/2bath....it was very nicely decorated, clean. The complex was pretty quiet, of course shoreline rocky, but fun to walk around. There was a turtle that would feed there everyday, got some pretty close up pictures, but didn't disturb it. The grounds were also kept well, the pool cleaned every day. Full supply of pool towels were always available.

Comments