75-5852 Alii Drive, Kailua-Kona, Hawaii, 96740, United States

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 22% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• a5floor's Profile Photo

Royal Kona Resort part I

The hotel is in a bay. And due to this fact, you will have great views over the ocean. The hotel has a privat laguna (water coming out of the ocean).

The hotel is run by Hawaiian Hotels and Resorts and has 436 rooms and suites. There is also a swimmingpool available.

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

Comfortable and Affordable in Kona

When I was planning my trip to the Big Island, I realized that the key to finding a good deal was to book a package tour - airfare, hotel and car - all through the airline. I was able to get a very affordable package this way - basically able to get the car and the hotel room for free, when you compared it to what it would have cost just for the airfare "a la carte." At any rate, the Royal Kona was part of this package deal, and that fact definitely affects the way that I feel about the place. For what it is, and as part of an "affordable" package deal, the Royal Kona was a nice place to stay - I really felt we got our money's worth here. Was it the ideal vacation resort - well, no, not really. . .

The Royal Kona was first operated as a Hilton property almost 30 years ago. It's definitely showing its age now. Our bedroom was perfectly fine, and we had a partial view of the ocean that turned out to be much better than I'd anticipated. (See the view on the Kailua-Kona front page.) But the bathroom was substandard - not up to "Super 8" levels of cleanliness and convenience. Throughout the complex of buildings that make up the Royal Kona, you can see peeling paint and chipped concrete. The bar and restaurant are faded, tired. The whole place needs to be given a make-over. If I were paying the rack rate here - which is close to $200 a night - I would not have been pleased.

Nor did I like having to pay $17 a night for parking! That was more than at the luxury Fairmont Orchid up the coast. On the positive side, the location can't be beat. Walking to bars and restaurants along Ali'i makes this a nice place for your first trip to the Big Island - just don't expect too much.

• AussieKitten's Profile Photo

Royal Kona Resort

Unique Quality: Oceanfront resort, overlooking Kailua Bay and ideally located just steps from cosy Kailua-Kona. Contains a private sandy beach lagoon, split-level pool, tennis courts, restaurant, bar and shops, sun deck and oceanside luau.

Directions: 75-5852 Alii Drive, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

More about Royal Kona Resort

Stay Right On Ocean At Royal Kona Resort

by syrin about Royal Kona Resort

We never stayed here rather we visited the grounds 3 times. Once for the Luau, and two times to go to their fine dining restaurant Don The Beach Comber and have cocktails at Don's Mai Tai's Bar Overlooking Kailua Bay. The hotel lobby is actually outside in the open air which was rather neat to see. The hotel and grounds are gorgeous. They have hug chadeliers hanging, Outdoor bars & restaurants that has unobstructed views of the ocean. Not to mention most of the rooms have ocean views. They also have beautiful coy ponds where you can sit down and relax. Even the pool area has views of the ocean. This is one of the few hotels that are situated right on the island as new hotels now have to be built so far back. The Royal Kona Resort was built way before theese rules too effect therefore the rules do not apply to them.

They also have a private beach only for guests, and a spa, not to mention there is also a luau that is held right on the grounds.

Prices vary here by time or year. Gorgeous onubstructed views, beautiful grounds, ocean front dining, fine dining, spa, luau held on grounds

A few suggestions

by Royal63 about Royal Kona Resort and Kona Islander Inn

We stayed 8 nights at the Kona Islander Inn, set up by a friend of ours that lives on the Big Island. It was a 1 bedroom condo with a garden view. We had a corner view of the ocean. It was a wonderful room, and very inexpensive. What's great is you are close to town, so we could walk around whenever we wanted to.
Our 9th night there, we stayed at the Royal Kona Resort just to see what it is like. Very comfortable resort. Makes you feel like you aren't in a hotel. Like you are in your own room at home. We had an ocean view room. Ate our meals with an ocean view and nice breeze. Both the Kona Islander and Royal Kona Resort had pools, but the Royal Kona also has a natural pool where the ocean water over-flows into the pool. Some ocean life, such as large turtles swim in there. You are not permitted to touch the turtles, but it was a very neat experience to swim with them and the beautiful fish. They also have their own luau, but we chose to go to the King Kamehameha hotel since we heard they have the best entertainment. It was SUPER. The food was excellent, the luau entertainment was superb and the cost was very reasonable.

To make reservations at the Kona Islander-

To make reservations at the Royal Kona Resort-

King Kamehameha Hotel-
- it costs a little more than the Royal Kona, but it is probably OK to stay at.

Resort in Kona

by TravelBugg about Royal Kona Resort

During the time that I visited this resort, I was pretty much satisfied. We had a room with an ocean view, which was very nice. This is an ocean front resort, whcih is a plus. No need to travel far for the beach. The beach is for those staying at the resort only, so the beach is not crowded. Overall, the staff there was polite and helpfu when approached. Very calm and relaxing place to stay. There's also a luau at the resort, which is extra $$, which includes the food, show, and entertainment. pool
dining at resort
Private beach
Private Lagoon
About 10 minutes from airport
Across street from Hard Rock Cafe

We stayed at the Miramar in...

by Sprig

We stayed at the Miramar in Waikiki. It is an older hotel that has been revamped and it is very nice. In Maui we stayed at the Coast Hotel in Kihei. Also very nice with a great pool bar. On the Big Island we stayed at the Royal Kona resort which is a little faded. We had a nice time there but they did charge us $100 to keep our room for a couple of extra hours (late flight) even though the hotel was not even half full. We ran a bar tab and we also write down everything we sign for. The bill we paid was exactly the same as our tally which was good. However a month after we got home we received a letter advising that someone had refused to pay a bar bill that was not theirs and they decided it was probably ours and so went ahead and arbitrarily charged our credit card. They didn't even send a copy of the receipt with the signature which of course they didn't have. We aren't ever going back!!

The Royal Fleabag Hotel

by keida84 about Royal Kona Resort

This former Hilton hotel seemed like a good choice as it was centrally located on the Kailua-Kona coast of Hawaii's Big Island. They had tennis courts and a pool as well as a salon which offered massage services.

We checked into our room which was in the older section of the hotel, the room was a bit shabby but seemingly clean. Until we went to bed that night. I awoke to the distinct feeling of something biting me and threw the bedcovers back to find the sheets teeming with fleas! I was badly bitten all over my lower half of my body and swelling quickly. Several calls to the front desk produced no results so we went down to the front desk in the middle of the night, no one would answer the bell.

After spending the remainder of the night on the balcony with our luggage in the car, we again approached the front desk and were met with a cool response. Grudingly the desk clerk switched our room. The room was newer and clean but it was situated right over the hotel's nightly luau! The noise, lights and smell from the imu pervaded our room until the wee hours of the night. It's too bad that this lovely hotel had poor housekeeping and a staff with an attitude.

We spent hard earned money on this trip and felt that the normally gracious spirit if the islands was not to be found in this hotel. Fourtunately we were so busy with activities that we were not in the room or at the hotel a great deal.

Meeting a bird at the Royal Kona ResortMeeting a bird at the Royal Kona Resort

Luau Royal Kona Resort Kailua Kona, HILuau Royal Kona Resort Kailua Kona, HI

what if we don't book in advance - Manta Ray Night Dive , any problems in May?

by cchiuching

Is it possible if we don't book in advance but just knock on Jack's Diving Locker office to take a Manta Ray Night Dive ($105) on the same day?
in May around 12th - 14th.

coz we will start our trip from Hilo on 9th May, visiting the Volcano National Park, driving to Kona finally.
we just have 5-6 days staying on Big Island.

Any suggestions for me to spend the evening alone?
i cannot dive,
what can i do while my boyfriend is doing Manta Ray Night Dive?
Should we take Royal Kona Resort? so that when he is diving, i can swim in the resort safely? :P
(i am a poor swimmer)

Re: what if we don't book in advance - Manta Ray Night Dive , any problems in May?

by Royal63

I don't know anything about the night dive, but I don't think you would have a problem. Is there a phone number you can call? I have some Big Island ideas if you need suggestions.
As far as being alone, by all means, go to the luau! There is one at the Royal Kona Resort and my favorite, one at the King Kamehameha hotel. You won't be alone for long! You can walk there or get a ride from the hotel shuttle. It's SO much fun.
Yes- you can swim at the Royal Kona resort. We stayed there, the Kona Islander Inn and King K. hotel. Aside from the regular pool at Royal Kona, there is also a natural pool where the ocean water meets fresh water. You can swim with the huge turtles (don't touch them) and enjoy the sea life. It's a blast. The Royal Kona Resort is a very nice, very affordable place to stay. Feel free to take a look at my Big Island pages. I love that place.
Susan