4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
Marriott.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

More about Waikoloa Beach Marriott, an Outrigger Resort

Marriott waikoloa, a great hotel

by heitzenrater about Marriot

Tucked into the sun-splashed Kona Kohala Coast on the Big Island of Hawaii, the beautifully restored Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort welcomes guests with the gracious look, style and service of Hawaii's rich heritage. With the bounty of land and sea captured in stunning views, it's the perfect place for a memorable vacation. Or an unforgettable meeting Property Information

6 floors, 523 rooms, 22 suites

Pet Policy

Pets not allowed

Quiet piece of paradise

by illtryanythingonce about Marriott Waikoloa Resort & Spa

The Waikoloa Resort & Spa near Kona on the Big Island was a true piece of paradise! Rooms were clean, modern and spacious with large bathrooms and really comfortable beds. Flat screen TV wasn't needed because the view (ask for a "partial" ocean view - save some money but still get a view) was fantastic. The grounds were pristine, around three large pools (one was an infinity pool), three hot tubs and even a water slide. Plenty of lounge chairs and the wait staff was incredible. The outdoor bar/restaurant served a pool-side "drink of the day" or walk through historic lava fields and pools to the "A" bay beach - best beach on the island. Snorkeling included in your resort stay was good (not great) but beach was quiet and clean. Lobby was huge, gift shop was inexpensive and loaded with great souvenirs, lobby coffee station was convenient. The staff at the car port were terrific - so funny and helpful. Also, resort within walking distance to ABC stores, fancy (or not) restaurants and a very ancient trail. A great stay - look for onine discounts and have your self a great trip to the Waikoloa Resort & Spa. Ancient lava fields right outside your door, very contemplative walks between hotel and beach. Pools were tremendous - three hot tubs (no waiting!) Restaurant specials and drink discounts abound.

Waikoloa Beach Area

by GracesTrips

We had reservations for dinner at the Brown's Beach House located at the Fairmont Resort in the Waikoloa Village area. We arrived quite early and check out the shopping area and proceded to see what else we might find. Road signs indicated there was beach access so we followed the arrows and came to a small parking lot. There were nice bathroom facilities and a pathway leading towards the beach. Being that our dinner reservations were at a nice restaurant, instead of flip flops I was wearing my shimmery heels. Anyway, the pathway was quite long but interesting reading along the way describing the lava tubes that you could see and other information about the landscape. All leading past a condiminium complex and then to the beach. It was quite nice with the sun about to set.

Truly a bit of paradise

I stayed here a week in Sept. 2003 while looking at properties on the island. Then I stayed again in October 2003 when I came back to close & take possession of a condo in the Waikoloa Beach Resort. Both stays were perfect experiences. I had lovely rooms both times. The staff was always helpful & friendly. Several restaurant staff members remembered not only my name but my usual wine selection. Sonja at the lounge is one of the nicest people around-- & won't hesitate to razz you once she gets to know you. I felt truly like "ohana" here. The condo I purchased is almost across the street, so I still go back to the hotel every trip (about 4 times a year). I enjoy the sunsets on the beautiful lanai, dinner in Hawai'i Calls, and just socializing at the bar afterwards.
The lu'au is great, the pool is beautiful, the grounds are fabulous, the beach is terrific, great spa, & convenient shopping at Kings Shops.
This hotel is really a great place to call "home" while visiting the big island-- unless you've fallen under the island's spell and bought your own place. :-)

Our Oasis for a Week

We spent Jan 24-31, 2004, at this island paradise which suited us perfectly. We wanted something elegant but not stuffy. Spent every evening in one of the 2 hot tubs. The grounds are well manicured and the groundskeepers were friendly and always had time to chat. The beach in front is ridged high right now because of the high surf, but we still enjoyed the sand and snorkeling in the bay. The area to the south is fun to walk and snorkel also. There are plenty of sandy areas there and you feel like you have your own private area. Lots of sea turtles here! Buffet breakfast was included with the package and the 4 couples we traveled with would meet and plan the day over a delicious array of food. Hotel staff and housekeeping were very friendly. The only snag we had was one couple didn't get the bedding as requested -- 2 doubles vs 1 king. The place was full and couldn't accommodate a change. It wasn't worth hanging around trying to wait for a different room. There's too much to see and do! The trip to Kona didn't seem all that far to find a more reasonablly priced place for supper. There were always the beautiful sunsets and whales to watch along the way. We highly recommend this resort to anyone who wants a casually elegant place to relax and a great feeling when you come "home" from a long day sightseeing. PS. Try the Lava Flows!! Yummy!

Not for us! Disappointing.

My wife and I stayed at this property for 4 days in mid February. The property has recently been renovated and I believe offers fair value.
However, if you are here for a special event and are hoping for an equally special hotel property... this may not be it! We were very disappointed because we paid in advance had no way of cancelling and moving to an adjacent property on the Kohala Coast, all of which we found to be more suitable than the Marriott.

We, personally, did not enjoy our stay primarily due to the unhappy staff -- I am guessing they are experiencing some employee relations problems at this property??? This extremely poor service (I will spare you the details) was evident at the valet parking, restaurant - Hawaii Calls, pool bar server and even the front desk. I should note that the housekeeping staff was very friendly and Sean at the valet was very helpful. The less than welcoming staff was so universal at this property that I suspect Marriott has a bigger problem than just a couple of individual staff members.

The rooms, although newly decorated and spotlessly clean, are very standard or vanilla. We were kept up one night by noise from our next door guests whom I don't think were actually very noisy... it's just that the rooms are not well insulated. Our room had a connecting door so noise and smoke (a non smoking room!) easily found its way to us.

This hotel, in our opinion, does not live up to other Marriott Resort Hotels that we have stayed at. We were told that this was a 4 and a half star property which I guess you could say in a stretch (?) but the staff is truely 2 star (far inferior to all other hotels we have stay, dined or visited on the Big Island over the last 10 years).

The Beach is wonderful and probably one of the best on the Big Island!
Beautiful sunsets, nicely groomed and a lot of easier on the feet ...
i.e. many Hawaii beaches are extremely rocky (because of the volcanic lava). The pool area is also very nice but poorly planned -- both sides of the pool cater almost exclusively to kids. One has the wading pool area and the other a slide! If you are with kids you may really like this, but, for a couple looking for a quiet getaway you have to suffer... where parents took a fairly 'laissez faire' approach -- "hec they (the kids) are on vacation too... who cares if they ruins yours!"

All in all if you get this hotel for less than $175 per night, you are here on a family vacation and don't have high expectation levels, you'll will find good value... but if you like a liitle service and pampering, a four or five star property, I would rethink staying here.
The extra expense for one of the other properties on this coast may be a good investment toward a great vacation!

We will not stay here next time.

Great end to Big Island Tour

by TripAdvisor Member expotishuns-r-us

Just got back from 2 weeks on the Big island. First week was spent at a B&B closer to Volcano...we spent that week doing lots of sightseeing (Volcano Nat'l Park, botanic gardens, plane rides, waterfalls, etc).
Second week here. 2 kids (6 and 4) loved it. We had a 'stateroom' - king and pullout sofa bed. The room was huge...lots of extra room to play even with the bed kept open. The place was spotless, although housekeeping did show up a bit late every day. They would, however, bring anything we needed almost immediately. Everyone was extremely helpful and friendly. There seemed to be alot of 'Aloha spirit' when we were there. (2/7-2/21) one example - we got a knock on the door one afternoon and there was someone delivering 2 portable cribs. Didn't need those (!!) so we sent him back. Within 5 minutes, we got a call from the front desk apologizing for any inconvenience. She apologized 4 times! Anyway, although the hotel food was expectedly expensive, it was all pretty good. The kids loved getting their lunches in sand buckets.
They got to feed the koi every morning and one of the bellmen gave them each a boogie board to use and then take home! Needless to say, the water slide was a big hit. There were quite a few families there, but all the kids seemed pretty well behaved - none of them were particularly 'spoiling' anybody else's vacation (as another reviewer saw). The beach was beautiful - my 6 yr old snorkeled for the first time and saw sea turtles!! We really saw none of the 'personnel problems'...everyone was super friendly - groundskeepers, waterslide attendants, watresses, bellmen, valets, beach equip rental people, whatever! (we even walked over to the beach after dark to stargaze and the beach staff talked to us for 20 minutes and gave the kids candy bars...) All in all we had a great relaxing time. We never bothered to check out the Hilton, we were having too much fun!

Totally Awesome

Stayed here for 6 days October 03, was my 50th Birthday, everything was super, great room always cleaned daily, great view, Curtis the pool manager runs the best pool service in the world, great staff, plenty of towels, great food, super spa, great fitness room, easy to walk to the mall across the street, great walk to the beach.. The Concierge went the total extra mile my friend has a breathing condition her portable neublizer got broken in flight, he spent two hours with her making sure he could get her a new one, and the hotel even picked it for her. They have a great Luau, much much better than the one down in Kona. We loved it here and plan to go back again and stay here, also a great breakfast buffet also...

Lovely hotel!

We stayed at the Waikola Beach Marriott from March 12th through March 19th. The hotel is kept clean and is decorated tastefully. The employees were friendly, smiling and helpful at all times. We went to the Hilton to look around but found it to be large and "stuffy" feeling. I would recommend the Marriott to anyone except adults without children and no patience with them. This hotel is definitely family-friendly.

Aloha from the Big Island!

by swimmergirl1

I spent a week with my parents at the Waikoloa Beach Resort area of the Big Island. Most of our days were spent snorkeling and scuba diving on the Kona/Waikola side, but we did take a drive to the Hilo side one day to visit the Botanical Gardens and to hike the Crater.

I got an underwater casing for my Exilim camera and it made snorkeling so much fun! I think I took as many pictures of myself as I did the fish!

It was fun to see and swim with turtles.

Hapuna Beach or Waikoloa Marriott?

by minimanzana

Hi All:

Which is a better hotel...Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel or Waikoloa Beach Marriott?

I hear Marriott has undergone recent renovations and is beautiful..so, I'm not
sure with the renovations, which one is better now.

Thanks!

MiniManzana

Re: Hapuna Beach or Waikoloa Marriott?

by travelgourmet

Aloha. Both are excellent hotels. The Waikola Beach has a great natural bay, ocean front and has a great tropical feel. The Hapuna Beach has a great beach but not as dramatic, in my opinion. The Hapuna Beach is next door to the Mauna Kea and it is closed for renovations till end of the year, at the earliest. So, shopping and dining outside of the property is down in Wiakoloa Village at the King's Shops. The Village is about 20 miles south of Hapuna Beach, and only a few blocks from the Waikola Beach. Both are beautiful examples of extravagance with the Hapuna Beach a little more elegant, again in my opinion. Where would I stay? Either one, except Waikoloa Beach has the edge for the bay.

waikoloa marriott hotel -big island (kona side I believe)

by kimbo13

Just wondering if anyone has any insight on this hotel and it's location? Is the hotel situated on a sandy beach and is there stuff to do like shopping and dining in the surrounding area?
Thanks VTer's

by travelgourmet

Aloha. One of the best locations for beach as a half moon bay fronts the hotel giving a great spot to sight sea turles. It actually is not beach front, but the bay is straight in front, just a short walk from the hotel proper and when I was there, beach chairs were on the sand for your use. The sand is good and one of the few places on the Kona side with a great beach. Across the street is a shopping village,"Kings Village", with good dining, as well as dining at the Marriott and the neighboring hotel, Hilton Waikoloa.

by travelgourmet

I meant to say "Kings Shops" is across the street. Check out the website: www.marriott.com and enter Waikoloa for city and Hawaii for state and look at all the area things to do as well as a glimpse of the Hotel property.

by kimbodito

thanks for the info :)

Best Luaus on the Kona Side of island

by oliviasoma

Hello,
Which are the best luaus to attend on the Kona side?
Thanks,
O

Re: Best Luaus on the Kona Side of island

by travelgourmet

My wife and I stayed at the Waikoloa Beach Marriott and not only enjoyed the Anaeho'omalu Bay beach that sits on ocean side of the Hotel but the had a great time at the Royal Luau. Found a website to tell you the particulars: http://www.luausinhawaii.com/hawaii/waikoloa_beach_marriott.html

Comments