Macadamia Meadows Farm Bed & Breakfast

P.O. Box 756, Naalehu, Hawaii, 96772, United States
Macadamia Meadows Farm Bed & Breakfast
Hotels.com Priceline.com Travelocity

More about Naalehu

Catai grow wildCatai grow wild

My mom looking out to seaMy mom looking out to sea

Hawaiian Hollies?Hawaiian Hollies?

Mahana "Green Sands" BeachMahana "Green Sands" Beach

Travel Tips for Naalehu

Southern Most City

by triplehelix

"Mahana Beach"

Welcome to Na'alehu (In the Ka'u district). Na'alehu is the southern most city in the United States... a far cry from Barrow, Alaska (northern most city). There really isn't much to see or do down here like its northern counter part. You need not spend much time down here unless you want to soak up the natural views.

Mahana Beach is also known as Green Sands Beach. The sand is unique as it is comprised mostly of weathered basalt deposits from past volcanic eruptions. The olivines that make the beach green holds no monetary value but is still valuable.

"South Point (Ka Lae)"

Ka Lae is the local name given for South Point, Hawaii. While this isn't recognized as a city, it resides in Na'alehu. This location is hypothesized as the landing of the first settlers to the islands. One theory is that the first inhabitants came from the south (Tahiti, Marquesas, New Zealand) and this would be an ideal place to stop.

Stand here and you'll be the southern most person in the USA!!

"Hawaiian Christmas Berries"

I really have no clue what these are lol. My mom told me they bloom at around this time and when she was a kid, there were lots in Hilo. As you are driving on the belt road in the south, you will see several of these trees which are quite nice!

Ka Lae (South Point)

by 4streegrrl

"South Point"

At the southern most tip of the Big Island is South Point (what else?). Apparently, this is the southern-most point in the United States...not Florida, as many are prone to think.

There's all kinds of neat-o stuff to see down there, which we did NOT take photos of. Like the Kamoa Wind Farm, which looks like it's not being used any more, judging by the disrepair of the windmills. And the wind-shaped trees. And the green sand beach (really! It's olivine, a semi-precious mineral).

So you'll just have to go see it yourself! :) Or check out this link because the photos are probably better than what I could do: SouthPoint

"It's official - we are south"

Yes, it's us again. Taking a wonky pic with the automatic-timer thingy.

The fishermen out there didn't seem too friendly - probably tired of tourists blocking up their single-lane road with Neons and tramping through their hangout area, infringing on their breaks from work. Hmmmm, I'd probably be unfriendly too...

"GALEX - mapping the galaxy"

I "borrowed" this photo from a website - so sue me! It's all in the name of teaching people about science, I say.

This is a communications system dish out at South Point. At the time we were there, I didn't know what it was for. Apparently there is (or will be) a satellite with the GALEX telescope orbitting around and mapping galaxies. This dish is supposed to talk to ground control, receive commands for the mission and send back data. CalTech and NASA are involved, as are a bunch of other science nerds. I can call them that 'cos I'm a science nerd too! :)

You can read all about it at
GALEX