Hale Moana Bed & Breakfast

13-3315 Makamae Street, Pahoa, Hawaii, 96778, United States
Official Site

More about Hale Makamae Bed & Breakfast

Wonderful stay at a beautiful place

by TripAdvisor Member talkingcrow

We had a wonderful stay at Hale Makamae Bed & Breakfast on the "Big Island" of Hawaii. The rooms were comfortable and spacey, the property grounds beautiful to walk around.

John & Petra have lots of "Spirit of Aloha". They are warm and friendly and really care about their guests. We have bought property in the area and they were very helpful by bringing us up to speed on living in East Hawaii.

I would certainly recommend a stay here anytime.

Wonderful/Quite B

by TripAdvisor Member BashfulMinneapolis

Love this place. Quiet nice residential neighborhood yet easily assessable to the local sites. Gardens are beautiful and even had a guided tour by the sweetest young tour guide "Christopher". Food was great also. Rooms are nice with kitchens and sitting rooms for having a private cup of coffee in the morning. Owners were knowledge and helpful with recommendations for the area. Definitely would come back.

Quiet, beautiful, relaxing, and friendly place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member AXE25

The breakfast alone is worth staying at the Hale Makamae! We have stayed at Petra and John's wonderful bed and breakfast twice in the past few years and plan to return. We made reservations easily via email after finding their website. Hale Makamae is in a peaceful, quiet location; perfect for visiting Volcanoes National Park and nearby hot springs in the Puna district. The suites look out to the beautifully landscaped and lush gardens and couldn't be more relaxing. We enjoyed cooking meals at night in the tastefully decorated and very clean condo style accomodations. We're looking forward to our next visit to the Big Island and Hale Makamae!

A great place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member plantloverCa

We spent three days here, and thoroughly enjoyed it. The location was ideal to see the tidal pools and the volcano. Petra was very helpful in telling us about things we might otherwise have been unaware, like the Pahoa farmers market which was great.
The breakfasts were simple but good, with fresh fruit, bread, or pancakes.
The grounds were absolutely beautiful, like a botanical gardens. Our room was equipped with a fridge and microwave. Comfortable bed, and very clean.

Hale Makamae is wonderful!

by TripAdvisor Member HawaiiBradys

Hale Makamae felt like our home away from home! This is a wonderful B&B, and the owners will make you feel like you're a part of their "ohana". The property is beautiful, our room was great and the breakfast every morning was amazing. The best thing I can say about it is that we have recommended it to our family and friends as the place to stay when visiting the Big Island.

Great relaxing base

by TripAdvisor Member ritant

My husband and I had the lovely opportunity to stay here for a few unusally rainy days in early February. The grounds are lovely and the rooms very clean and comfortable. The setting is very quiet except for the sounds of birds and frogs...bring your earplugs if the sounds of nature keep you up. Petra's breakfast was outstanding; fresh fruit from the garden and I'm still drooling over the taste of her bannana pancakes. This B&B is a relaxing base to visit the east side of the island (Hilo, Lava tree park, tidal pools, hot springs) and Volcano National Park. The town of Pahoa is only about 10 minutes away and has some tasty and inexpensive restaurants. Petra was a lovely hostess and helped us plan our days. Hope to stay there again sooner than later.

Beautiful B&B

by TripAdvisor Member babsNewHaven_Ct

We loved the Hale Makamae! We stayed for 3 days (all of which rained and rained and rained), but enjoyed the time to relax and eat some of the amazing Thai in Pahoa (which we loved so much that we ordered takeout 2 times and ate in our nicely appointed kitchenette). Our host Petra was amazing, cooking exquisite breakfasts and serving the freshest fruit imaginable. We were able to easily drive to the volcano from here. I would highly recommend the Hale Makamae (just check the weather forecast first)!

All we had hoped for

by TripAdvisor Member deanbal

We had a lovely three days in February at Hale Makamae B&B. My wife and I stayed in the garden suite, which has a large, high ceiling sitting room, a full kitchen, and a separate bedroom and bath. It was clean, light, and comfortable. Just outside the door are a couple of acres of beautifully tended tropical gardens. Petra's breakfast was excellent. We had quiche one morning, french toast another, plus fresh fruit, fresh bread, guava juice, coffee or tea, all served in a screened-in breezeway filled with orchids. We may have been lucky to hit three days of clear skies and sunshine, but Hale Makamae was all we had hoped for and more.

Quiet, Comfortable .. Just Like Home

by TripAdvisor Member rivergirlmoab

My husband and I recently enjoyed three days in the garden suite at the Hale Makemae, a wonderful little B&B. During our stay, Petra made us feel as if we were part of her family. She shared her knowledge of the area generously. Though this was our third visit to the big island, Petra gave us suggestions for places to see that we wouldn't have found otherwise. The fresh flowers in our room were a great touch, and we enjoyed strolling about the garden trying to identify the myriad of tropical plants. Breakfasts were outstanding. As I write this, I'm dreaming of fresh papaya. Two thumbs up for this lovely B&B.

Denise O.
Moab Utah

Loved Hale Makamae

by TripAdvisor Member MrEd_8

This is an incredible property. It must be seen to be fully appreciated.

True Southern hospitallity with a tropical island flair.

BirdwatchingBirdwatching

our upgradeour upgrade

anthuriumanthurium

tidepoolstidepools

Real estate prices

by WahineNui

Why are homes so inexpensive in the Pahoa area as compared to the Kona area?

by phildeni

Probably for the usual reasons..bad area,cheaply built homes,crummy schools, etc. etc. Who knows?

by shadowmon

cause when you live in the pahoa area, you've got the constant threat of the volcano on your back door. also, it's more rainy there, so not as many tourists want to be there.

Re: Re: Real estate prices

by selfishman

The Volcano thing plus, it's so far away from everything. Not much to do in Pahoa. Kona is a growing community complete with K-mart and Barnes and Nobel.

by hulagirl51371

PHILDENI hit it on the nose. I am originally from Pahoa so I know all about that town. It really is the armpit of the Big Island... sad to say. It never used to be that way when I grew-up there in the 70's and 80's.

Re: Re: Real estate prices

by phildeni

hulagirl...wow! How did you come across this? It was back in March when I commented. Good to know that I "guessed" correctly. Thanks. Phil

Comments