Pahoa Hostel

13-1132 Kahukai Street, Pahoa, Hawaii, Pahoa, Hawaii, 96778, United States

Satisfaction Terrible

• Unique Experience

I stayed at the farm for a little bit. During this time, I got to experience the real Hawaii, and this hostel helped with that. Don't go expecting a hotel Hawaii experience, where you don't leave your resort or your car. This is the real deal. Work up some sweat, get your hands in the dirt, dig up some rocks and shovel some ***. The locals are also really friendly! I was really suprised by the organic composting methods, they really raised the stakes for what is possible here. You might want to bring some iodine if you go, it will take care of any potential infections.

Unique Quality: Handmade tools, Unique Toilet, Plethora of wild boars, great beach, wild fruit.

Directions: Go south on a long road, pass through a town, stay south on a jungle road, make a right on a jungle road, make a left.

• YIKES!

Hi
    I just wanted to tell you about my recent experience of an attempt to WWOOF at Pohoiki Organic Farm in Pahoa, on the big island of Hawaii.
    I researched the "farm" and it sounded like it would be interesting. I had planned on staying and working long term.
    I bought the plane ticket and flew over from Seattle looking forward to the experience.
    My flight was delayed so I arrived late. I had made arrangements for the "farm" owner to pick me up at the airport and drive me the 30 miles from Hilo airport to Pahoa ($25).
    When the owner (Ed Frazer) picked me up he smelled as if he hadn't bathed in some time, not a big deal to me but noticeable. His car was piled with stuff that looked as if it had been there for years and smelled as if something was dead underneath all the stuff.
    Ed's driving was alarming. I'm surprised we made it the 30 miles without getting in a serious accident.
    While driving, Ed reached into the back seat and pulled out what he called his "jug" that smelled like some sort of tropical fruit juice and alcohol.
    We made it to the "farm" and Ed quickly showed me around and took me to a spot with a tent that he said I could stay in ($30 for 3 nights). I would say that the tent had been there for at least five years. It was moldy and generally gross. I unzipped the tent flap and looked in at the moldy foam pad, pulled the pad out to shake off the dirt and twigs and to make sure there were no critters in the tent. I was tired and it was late so I crawled in and went to sleep.
    The next day I counted 12 other victims staying at the "farm". It was basically a homeless camp.
    Ed has no crop due to the fact that his "farm" is on an old lava flow with no soil.
    I could go on about the unhealthy living conditions and the disease / infections the other occupants had but basically I just want to give you a heads up about this place and the owner.
    I stayed two nights due to the fact that the "farm" is 6 miles from the nearest town and there was no transportation. I was so traumatized that on the second day I hitch hiked into town and caught a bus to Hilo where I checked into a hostel and immediately showered and washed my clothes.
    As far as I can tell, everything on Ed's website related to the "farm" is a lie. I noticed on his "myspace" site he lists his age as "19". At the "farm", there was one girl staying there who was 19 and I can't help but wonder if she also bought into the BS and thought that Ed was 19.
    This is no place for a 19 year old girl (let alone anyone else). The "farm" is not fit for human habitation!

Directions: On an old lava flow 6 miles from the nearest town.

• Review retraction

The owner contacted us and was very friendly, apologized for our troubles, offered to refund our money, said he'd fixed the problems, and wished us well! Recent reviews would indicate he was as good as his word. Sorry for the bad review! - Mark Caudill

• Problems at Pahoa Hostel

Pahoa Hostel must have seen better days, judging by some positive reviews I swa on-line. When we visited in Jan. 2006 however, the place was totally trashed! Shame on Ed Frazer for asking for money in advance, and for allowing us to bring our one-year-old child into an unsafe situation. - Mark Caudill

Comments