1 N Kaniku Dr, Kamuela, Hawaii, 96743, United States

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 25% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• brewjohnson's Profile Photo

Phenomenal Hotel

A wonderful hotel. Beautiful rooms and grounds. Excellent staff. You can snorkel with sea turtles right out front of the hotel, then relax by the pool before or get a massage in a tent right on the water (see picture) before having an incredible dinner at Brown's (a wonderful restaurant on the water), then end the evening with a drink at the Polo Bar (a classic night cap spot). Overall, this is an excellent and classy hotel.

The biggest problem with choosing a hotel in this area is that there are many great choices. You can't go wrong with the Fairmont Orchid.

I have a longer review on Brown's in the restaurant section.

Unique Quality: There's a lot to love about this hotel. But even if you don't stay here, its worth coming for dinner at Brown's and a drink at the Polo Bar. Brown's has great seafood, live Hawaiian music and incredible sunsets.

• Gainesco's Profile Photo

By Far the Best Hotel on the Kohala Coast

This Hotel has everything, Good Rooms, Good Service and Good Vibe. If you are coming to seek a late night Party or nightlife, go to Oahau. This Hotel is the only nice thing about the Big Island! True Luxury Experience!

Unique Quality: Great Service and good management, this place just feels like it is managed well. For how long, who knows. Seems to be an issue in the Islands, most good management staff come to relax and get away from their Mainland Jobs, then find out that this isn't the place to live, so get there sooner than later, before some morron comes in and ruins the place.

Directions: Left out of Kona Airport, 20 or so miles to Mauna Lani Drive then left.

Again, not much on the Big Island so don't get distracted by all of the Lava!

• triplehelix's Profile Photo

Relaxed and Luxurious

Unique Quality: I did not stay at this hotel but I did have a few conferences and training sessions here in the past week. From what I saw, the hotel is very well kept and the grounds are beautiful! The beach front is ideal for young and elderly swimmers as it's semi-enclosed. Some features are a little dated but not much. It seems the design of some areas look a bit confused in the lounge and lobby area. I can't say anything for the rooms since I haven't seen the insides. The staff is very friendly and laid back. They will certainly help you if asked. They provide many 24 hour services as well.

There are tons of ponds all over the place. Water features are great here.

More about The Fairmont Orchid Hawaii

If Luxury Is Your Standard. . .

by yooperprof about The Fairmont Orchid

I loved the pool: curving, sinuous, commodious, welcoming. Just the right depth, too! No, this isn't a pool for lap swimming: you're on vacation, remember!

After the wedding, after the dinner, after the post-dinner drink, most everyone in the wedding party came down to the pool for a late night swim. Coming here later at night, under the brilliant canopy of a starry Hawaiian night (moonless!), and spying the glimmering Milky Way above: that was an experience to cherish.

Swim at your own risk. No lifeguard!

Nice hotel that's not huge! great amenities!

by peterd1331 about The Fairmont Orchid

This is a beautiful hotel/resort on beautiful land. It has 2 stunning golf courses, and a beautiful lagoon with a place to snorkel right there. There are beautiful rooms, and they all have great views. It is expensive, but it's better to spend you money here than at the hilton or another huge hotel. It is large, but not as big as the hilton or others, which seem very impersonal, and are just as expensive.

Great Hotel on Big Island

by jenn5179 about Fairmont Orchid

We stayed at the Fairmont for 5 nights... the price was around $379 a night but it was a really great property.

The restaurants were very good, and the spa was amazing - oceanside massages, very relaxing set-up utilizing both indoor and outdoor space

The rooms were clean, but nothing overly fancy.... Nice sized with balconies

Oh, and the hotel is very close to the Mauna Lani shops - which has a great supermarket, sushi place, and over a dozen shops The great thing about this place was that it was so spread out - we pulled up groaning because the parking lot was full, but the hotel seemed pretty quiet.

The pool layout is great because lots of chairs fit along the perimeter, and its not just one big round pool.

The pool staff was great, our waitress made the best recommendations (like the pomegranate mojitos which are AWESOME)

The sushi place was also very good, although it was pretty pricey and kind of small....

Breakfast/Brunch buffet was $30 a person, but had a great selection and was definitely worth checking out at least once.

The staff throughout the place were always very pleasant and helpful.

What a great place to stay!

My family and I stayed at the Fairmont Orchid between May 11th and May 19, 2003. The staff at the hotel were wonderful and couldn't have been more pleasant or helpful. This is a great family hotel. My wife and I traveled with our 12 year old daughter and our 3 year old son. They were welcomed everywhere (we didn't eat at "The Grill" restaurant) we went. The lagoon is a wonderful play to spend with the family. The water is quiet and the beach is nice. There were other children running around so we felt right at home. As a matter of fact, if kids aren't your thing, there were many places to sun that didn't attract the kiddies!
As with everything in Hawaii, things are expensive. We paid the $25 to have the mini bar cleaned out and spent our vacation with the fridge loaded with snacks (way less expensive) and adult beverages (way less expensive). The hotel location is convienent to Kona (20 minutes drive) and to the roads around the north side of the island. We didn't opt for the Gold Room upgrade (we were staying at a highly discounted rate), but we did have a nice room with a great view of the ocean and golf course from the lanai (Kona Tower 2555). I've stayed at the Hilton Waikoloa and it's too big and spread out for me. The Orchid provided a great setting for the family, the staff were friendly and attentive (everyone knew my son, Andrew, by the end of our stay), and the grounds were beautiful. I would highly recommend the Fairmont Orchid for family wanting a little R&R on the Kohala coast.

Best vacation EVER

My husband, daughter, and I stayed at the Fairmont Orchid from February 29-March 14, 2004. From arrival to departure it was a vacation of a lifetime and we were totally spoilt. The staff were kind, friendly, knew our names, and when they asked if you were having a good vacation they truly meant it and cannot do enough for you - particularly the staff at the beach. The hospitality industry often talks about providing the "Wow" experience to guests - this property delivers. We have never, ever, ever, stayed at a property that provided a service of this calibre. Our suite was beautiful. Food was wonderful. When you get tired of eating in the restaurants, we recommend visiting Brown's Deli.
Purchase the beach activity card which is extremely good value for money - you can take advantage of beach toys, snorkelling equipment, etc. for a flat fee (at this time $30.00 U.S.) per person and it is valid for your entire stay. The General Manager should be commended for motivating his staff to this calibre. This property and future vacations will be hard to beat our stay here.

We were on the Big Island from April 2 - April 12, 2004

We stayed at The Fairmont Orchid for half our stay on the Big Island (5 nights) and Hapuna Beach Resort for the other half. We thought the grounds at The Fairmont were beautiful (very lush and well thought out). The swimming cove was nice for kids and the pool was beautiful. This is a very picturesque hotel. I think it would be ideal for those looking for a little romance. The staff wasn't overly friendly, especially compared to Hapuna Beach, but they were fine -- very responsive to any requests. We had an Ocean View room which was nice but nothing compared to the Ocean Front view at the Hapuna Beach (very spectacular). The bathrooms were nice -- a bathtub and separate shower. The room was nice but again not as nice as the room at Hapuna Beach. Hapuna doesn't have the lush feel you have at the Fairmont but they make up for it, I think, with the larger room and absolutely perfect beach. The food at both hotels was incredibly expensive but the Fairmonts was definately better. My 14 and 9 year old loved both hotels but said if we come back they want to return to Hapuna Beach (they preferred the natural beach) and this after seeing Robin Williams and his family at the Fairmont . One word of caution for both hotels -- beware of the Conference crowd. When we arrived at the Fairmont a conference was just coming to an end -- we spent one day on the beach with some of the participants -- they were loud and definately not family oriented (drinking, smoking, loud). We had to move to the pool by 1 pm when their lanugauge became inappropriate for the children. I would definately recommend either hotel. We had a wonderful time during out stay.

Fairmont Orchid and Mauna Lani

by brewjohnson

Puako is an area located on the "Kohola Coast" of the Big Island of Hawaii. The two main resorts here are the Mauna Lani (a huge resort with many hotel and condo options, restaurants, etc., within it) and the Fairmont Orchid, which I believe is officially part of the Mauna Lani development, although the Fairmont Orchid feels separate both in style and location.

I don't believe there is a resort here outside of the resort developments, however, the hotels have shops and some phenomenal restaurants (Brown's at the Fairmont and the Canoe House at the Mauna Lani to name a couple of my favorites).

The Fairmont Orchid ResortThe Fairmont Orchid Resort

Fairmont Orchid

by jrecanders

What are the bathtubs like at the Fairmont Orchid resort in the average room? I hate a small bathtub (but would never let one ruin my vacation - just wondering!).

Thanks.