Lokahi Lodge

DEBBBEDB's Profile Photo

Good TV

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 25, 2010

I spent a lot of time watching TV when we weren't out in the National Park. Because of the time difference (Hawaii doesn't do Daylight Savings), I could see programs on the Discovery Channel that were broadcast at home when I was at school (during the day).

I had charge of the two keys. One of them unlocked the door to the porch and the other one unlocked the door to the corridor that led to the living room and kitchen. We were supposed to leave our shoes at the door, and I did, but my grandmother didn't always do that. But she would tell me to lock the doors, and I didn't always do that either.

Unique Quality: We had wi-fi in the room.

Directions: I had to read the map and directions for getting here. You have to register at the main office first and that is on Wright Road

grandmaR's Profile Photo

At the end of the Road

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 24, 2010

The Volcano House in the National Park was closed for renovations and I did not know whether I could stay at the military cottages without my husband, so we made a reservation here at one of the houses in the Chalet Kilauea Collection. This is a collection of guest houses and lodges throughout the area. When we arrived, we had first to find the main office (which is at a different location than we are staying), and got the key. It was really dark, so that was a tiny bit difficult.

The Lokahi Lodge was regular house (with a kitchen - photo) on a narrow (one lane) road. We were supposed to take our shoes off outside the door. We had two keys - one was for the house door which we were supposed to keep locked and one was for the room door. Our room was the Olena Room

The next day, I had to go register at the place where we got the key, so I did that and added breakfast ($6.00 @) to the bill. They had juice, cold cereal, fruit (pineapple, mango and
orange slices), bread to toast, bagels and cream cheese, and then they had Hawaiian bread in plain, poi and mango flavors which I liked. They also had Hawaiian bread pudding.

It is very close to the park entrance so it is convenient.

The confirmation email letter said:

***Check Out : 11:00AM

***Cancellation/Change Policy, Early Departures, Etc. : The following percentages apply to the entire stay indicated above with extra person charges, if applicable. For a cancellation submitted MORE than 72-hours from arrival (based on a 3pm HST arrival), 0% penalty. For a cancellation submitted LESS than 72-hours from arrival (based on a 3pm HST arrival), 100% penalty.

Changes to this reservation are not possible. Should your travel plans change, please cancel this reservation, honoring the above penalties, and then re-book your reservation.

Early departures will not generate any refunds

Unique Quality: The room had a TV with a lot more channels than on the cruise ship and an exterior door to the veranda, and a somewhat old fashioned bathroom. There was also a dehumidifier which at first I thought was a heater. It was a bit cold and I got a blanket out of the closet for my bed. When I registered the next day, they told me that additional blankets were in the hall closet.

There was a red wood stove (photo 2), and a big common room with a full kitchen.

After we got settled and used the bathroom, I went out to send emails, and got into a conversation with some men who had been playing a game. I found out that they were engineers from Taiwan who had a conference in Honolulu and had come over to the Big Island for a day or two. I told them that there was wi-fi in the lobby (and actually it worked in our room too) and they said no that there was just a computer set-up there (photo 5). I insisted that there was wi-fi, so one of them tracked down the router, and then they agreed that I was right and there was wi-fi. I thought that was sort of amusing. Due to talking to them I didn't get any emails written.

Directions: There is no one on site, so you have to go to the Inn at Volcano which is the headquarters and pick up a key and get directions. This is seven tenths of a mile down Wright Road

Nearby Lokahi Lodge

• Free Parking
  • Business Services
  • Free High Speed Internet

Volcano Travel Forum

Need advice about Volcano, Hawaii (State of)? Visit the Travel Forum for Volcano and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Volcano hotel reviews