Volcano Mist Cottage

Volcano Mist Cottage
Expedia.com Travelocity Hotels.com

More about Volcano

My Yellow CurryMy Yellow Curry

Lava slowly making progressLava slowly making progress

Shiny new earth at my feetShiny new earth at my feet

Halema'uma'u CraterHalema'uma'u Crater

Restaurants and Markets

by grandmaR

I've got a flight to Kona and am picking up a car there to drive up to Volcano and spend a day there with my grandson at the National Park. (I know it will take 3 hours but I'm not coming from the mainland - just from Honolulu after getting off a cruise ship - so not jet lagged.) I had intended to stay at the Park Lodge, but that seems like a bad idea.

Anyway I was unable to get a place that offered breakfast, and the restaurants seem to be kind of sparse in that area. I get the idea that it is very isolated. But the place we are staying has a kitchen we could use for breakfast. Are there any little grocery stores around there or are there more restaurant/diner type places than show in the guidebooks? Does the park itself have a place to get lunch? Will I be able to get gas for the car there?

Re: Restaurants and Markets

by grandmaR

I realize that I made a mistake in flying into Kona instead of Hilo, but it is probably too late to change it. We will visit Kona and Hilo both on the cruise before we are doing the park.

Re: Restaurants and Markets

by jumpingwithnorman

Hi, there.. The volcano park that I think you're staying at is past Kailua-Kona... For your car rental, you might need a 4-wheel drive to get to the volcano. The car rental companies won't authorize their cars to be driven on the rougher roads. Be sure to visit Manago Hotel (excellent pork chops, old-style Hawaiian ambience) and Teshima's (yummy traditional Japanese style restaurant). I believe they're both on the way from Kona to the Volcano National Park.

Travel Tips for Volcano

Explore the Volcanoes National...

by kahiwa

Explore the Volcanoes National Park. The park is located about 30 miles from Hilo town, on the higher elevations of the Mauna Loa volcano. The chain of craters road winds down from the park entrance all the way down to the ocean, and has crater after crater located on either side of the road. I took a hike one day from the Kilauea Military Camp (cabins) down the interior side of the crater, walked across the floor of Kilauea crater to the rim of the Halemaumau pit, then across the crater again, and back up the crater walls to the Volcano House (lodge). It was a great hike across barren land, crossing steam vents and climbing over lava that had been pushed up by the force of the magna beneath it. It was kind of like being on the surface of the moon. In contrast, the walls of the crater were lush and green, covered in various ferns, ginger flowers and tropical plants.

Volcano National Park

by kenmerk

Volcano National Park: Probably the most interesting places in Hawaii. You can hike through lava tunnels, track old lava flows, and see one of the most active vocanoes in the world up close. Just enjoy the sulphur fumes...

Comments