4100 Wailea Alanui Dr, Wailea, Hawaii, 96753, United States

Travelocity Expedia.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• WoodyWoodpecker's Profile Photo

Excellent but pricey

The biggest issue with the Kea Lani is the price. If you're ready to spend several hundred USD per night, please read on, otherwise, safe money and time.

Your welcome at the Kea Lani does of course come with the trimmings:
    Welcome drink while you check in as well as a Lei. The attitude at check in has varied over several stays from outright friendly and warm to rather short and business like.

Most suites have the same generous layout. The main price difference lies in the view. You can choose between Parking Lot view (however this is called officially), Garden View (the side towards the ocean, but you don't see it :-( and ocean view.
    I'd say it's worth the extra money to select ocean view - or I'd rather say it's not worth going to the Kea Lani and end up seeing just greenery.

Suites are decorated mostly in white and this goes well with the fresh ocean breezes and the famous Hawaiian climate.
    There's a complete entertainment center with a large TV in the Living Room and another TV in the Bedroom. A small Kitchenette consists of a refrigerator, microwave and a sink. Not really a Kitchen, but fine for mixing drinks for sunset.

The garden is well kept and spacious. We never had a problem finding an empty chair.
    Polo Beach is "small but great". Small in size, but great for swimming. Both Pools are nice and pleasant too.

Restaurants are pricey and the selection somewhat limited. Food quality was good, but not outstanding.

On the annoying side, there's a charge for more or less everything you do at the Kea Lani.
    Certainly the work of a very clever analyst who smartly found out that there was some extra money to be milked from the tourists.

The result is that I can't really recommend the Kea Lani anymore.
    The room rates are rather astronomical now, but if this still doesn't buy you lunch, then it's just too much.

Unique Quality: Great suites with space to spare.

Directions: Wailea, last Resort down the road

More about Fairmont Kea Lani Maui

Heaven at the Kea Lani

My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon in Maui. We stayed the entire time at the Kea Lani. I just love this hotel! We arrived at 2 am and they still had a staff to take our luggage to the room and park the car. Our room was initially on the street side of the hotel and truck traffic woke me early the next morning. I requested to be switched to an interior room and they accomodated us with no problem.
Then the birds just wake you up! Maui just has these noisy birds that start squawking at sunrise. The suites are very beautiful. The only slightly negative comment I have about the rooms is that the carpets needed cleaning. They have very light carpet and it shows everything.
The service was fabulous and everyone was very friendly and helpful.
You have to eat at Nick's! (restaurant in hotel) I have eaten at a lot of very fine eating establishments and this has to be the best. The service was unreal. There are 4 people who take care of you. The food was incredible and you have to try the Banana's Foster. The dinner was not as expensive as everyone says. It is just what you are used to. All the restaurants on the island are priced just like any nice restaurant on the mainland, only you'll get better seafood! Our bill came to $100 (without tip) and that included 2 drinks (1 each), an appetizer, 2 entrees, and dessert. I felt it was very reasonable. The grounds and pool were meticulously maintained and very beautiful. We plan on coming back in February so I went next door to the Four Seasons to view a room to see if we wanted to stay there. The rooms were not near as big, and I didn't think the grounds were as beautiful. The hotels are priced the same so it just depends what you are looking for. The Four Seasons has free daycare and doesn't charge for cabana rental. We walked through the Grand Wailea and it was just overrun with kids. Plus the prices are very high and I have heard that service has gone down. I would highly suggest the Kea Lani. I am certain we will be coming back here in February. One more mention, if you are going to Maui, get the book called Maui Revealed. It was our best friend. It is by far the best guidebook out there.

We travelled all the way from Singapore

For my 50th birthday we returned to Maui after 20 years and travelled all the way from Singapore to the beautiful Fairmont Kea Lani. It was worth all the hours travelling from the other side of the world for sure. The suite was perfect for my husband and me and our 20 year old son offering us full facillities and privacy when needed. The staff were always attentive and helpful. The pool and gardens were picture perfect . The free valet service deserves a special mention. Those guys/girls work so hard... We are already planning our return.

Got to stay here if you have toddlers!

We stayed at the Kea Lani with our 2.5 yrs old boys for 10 nights. This is the perfect resort if you have toddlers with complimentary valet service. The Four Seasons although has superb service has less common grounds than the Kea Lani but not as grand as the Grand Wailea. The suite is perfectl y stocked with an empty mini frig, sink, microwave and even have paper towel! The bathroom is HUGE for the little ones to run around. Our room was on the 6th floor with a prime ocean view and conveniently located close to the elevator and very easy access to toddler pool. Also, each floor has laundry facility in case if you need to do a quick load of laundry.The deli is great for picking up snacks and food for kids (of course, however expensive). This is the perfect resort for families with little ones. It is a medium between the Four Seasons (with superb service) and the grand Grand Wailea.

simply spectacular sunsets

In June my husband and I spent 5 nights at the Kea Lani. The resort has so many amenities and a very gracious staff who was very helpful. We were greeted with leis, drinks, and smiles when we checked in. The sunsets are worth the stay. Every evening was so spectacular. The rooms were oversized with a large bedroom, living room, and extra large bath.
I would highly recommend this resort and would stay here again.

Fabulous property

by TripAdvisor Member travel_blurbs

We just returned from a great vacation at the Kea Lani in Wailea, Maui.
When we arrived, we were welcomed with cups of POG (passion fruit, orange, guava juice), fresh leis, and oshibori towels (chilled towels).
Complimentary valet service was a plus.

As an all-suite property, the rooms were spacious. Our oceanview suite had a large marble bathroom with a separate tub and shower, a good-sized bedroom, a sitting area with a complete electronics set-up, and a large balcony with tables and chairs. We enjoyed gorgeous views of the West Maui mountains and the ocean. One negative point about the room: the carpets could have been cleaner.

We had the breakfast buffet every morning, which was really tasty. The omelette station was particularly good. The property has an adult pool, which was calmer and more relaxing than the other pools. Several great-looking tents with cushioned lounge chairs surrounded the pools, but reservations plus fees were required (accepted up to a year in advance). Umbrellas and regular lounge chairs were first-come, first served and free. Beach cabanas and lounge chairs with umbrellas were for rent at the small beach next to the property, but again, reservations plus fees were required.

The restaurants were pretty good, but expensive. The Spa Kea Lani was really wonderful...a "must experience" if you have the time or inclination. The 24-hour gym was crowded in the early mornings (6 am), but open the rest of the time.

In general, service was very good, though we had two complaints. First, when we arrived, we were told that the hotel was overbooked, and we would have to stay in a non-oceanview room for the first night. We were not happy, but we were adequately compensated. Second, the concierge desk was always busy and understaffed, so we did not receive good service there.

Overall, we would stay there again (definitely oceanview or villa), though maybe during a less crowded season. Of the Wailea hotels that we wandered through during our trip, the only one that looked like it could top the Kea Lani was the Four Seasons.

Don't hesitate to stay here...

Incredible experience. I had read every review and seen every picture available on the net in anticipation of this vacation, and the Kea Lani lived up to all expectations. The hotel is clean and beautiful with an understated elegance that the other resorts lack. It never feels crowded, even on the beach. The rooms are everything you have read about-huge with wonderful bathrooms and lanai's. We went to Nick's Fishmarket for my birthday, and it was a fantasy dinner. They even quietly slipped me an ice cream and candle with our dessert upon hearing it was my birthday. Sunsets are gorgeous from this restaurant, and the food and service is out of this world. I don't like seafood, so I ordered steak. It was honestly one of the best steaks I have ever eaten. Although it is very elegant, the staff does not look down their noses at you. They are very kind and attentive without being too pushy. The other restaurants, though pricey, are also wonderful. The poolside restaurant, Polo Beach Club, has terrific food, but be prepared to spend some money. The burgers, salads, fries, hot dogs, etc are all top notch, and it's worth the extra expense to not have to go back to the room and get out of your swimsuit. Make sure to get a drink by the pool served in half a pinnapple. It's $15 bucks, but they give you a free refill, and it makes for a great photo.Another must, is to spend some time at the piano bar at night. The entertainment is very good, and it's quite relaxing to look out over the grounds at night.The pools are beautiful, but we are beach people and really didn't spend much time there. The beach feels very private, and there is good snorkeling on both sides of the beach. You can rent all the non-motorized water toys you could ever want. The staff at the beach brings you your chair in the morning, and then brings you ice water throughout the day. They also will teach you how to use the renal equipment. We took the walkway and walked through the Grand Wailea two doors down. In my opinion, that one is hard t The Grand Wailea is more "grand" with a beautiful beach and amazing grounds. Kea Lani, is more understated elegance without all of the bells and whistles. The rooms appear much nicer at Kea Lani, and it has a less crowded feel. It just depends on you taste. My husband preferred Kea Lani, but I must admit, given the opportunity, I would love to stay at Grand Wailea someday. However, don't get me wrong, Kea Lani was by far the nicest resort I have ever visted. Like I said, you really can't go wrong either way.Make sure you take a day trip to the road to Hana, and buy "Maui Revealed" to guide you along the way. Another side trip in this book takes you to Blowhole Rock..this is worth seeing, but beware..the road beyond this sight makes the road to Hana look look like a four lane highway..it was terrifying, but beautiful!!Also, make time to see Lahaina. It's a wonderful little port town with many restaurants overlooking the water and a huge Banyan Tree which is really a sight to behold.I can't say enough about our time in Maui at the Kea Lani. If I had any complaints at all, it might be that the desk staff wasn't what I expected. We were not greeted with guava juice, cool towels or a lei as previous reviewers indicated. In fact, we were barely gretted at all. However, we did arrive at 10pm, so that might account for it. Otherwise, the staff did their jobs, but I didn't feel they really went out of their way..with the notable exception of the crew at Nick's. They really made our night special. Would I suggest staying there? Most certainly. It was an experience I will never forget. We loved it so much, we stayed an extra day..which was no small task with the airlines, but it was worth it. I would pack my bags today, if the opportunity to return would present itself. Have fun!

Honeymoon in 2000

This is 3 years old, but we went on our honeymoon November 2000 here.
We had been to Manele Bay, Lanai and Outrigger, A-Bay, Big Island before this. We stayed for 5 nights in a "mostly ocean" view room.
Management kept the champagne and chocolate covered strawberrys coming (We now have a 2-year old boy to show for it ;-)

We REALLY liked this hotel, less private than Lanai, but very quiet and luxurious. Big marbel bathrooms and the two-room suites very nice for the price. We wandered over to the Grand Waileia and were glad we had stayed at Kea Lani. Beach is small, but pools nice. Nicks seafood place is nice-3-4 servers per table kept us laughing when they would quickly dust crumbs and reposition out of palce silverware etc.

I would go back, and am looking to go back right now with our kid!!!

beautiful rooms - but I need more!

by TripAdvisor Member onemoretime

While I agree with most on the beauty of the rooms, I just had higher expectations for this resort. Maybe I was used to the tropical settings of the Hyatt but I didn't find the grounds that appealing. We were told not to go in the water because of either Jelly Fish or currents. Staff (except for valet) wasn't very attentive and the food was just too expensive. Yes we enjoyed Nicks but enjoyed our meal at the mall up the street just as much. Did we enjoy our stay -definately. Will we be back - nope, thats why I am reading trip advisor to find another hotel for next spring!

Little bit of heaven

This is a gorgeous resort. We went the second week of July for our 25th anniversary. We brought our two children with us. The suite is just great, plenty of room for all. The bathroom is stunning, and the kids loved having the VCR and DVD players. They sent up a complimentary bottle of champagne for our anniversary. Housekeeping did a great job, as did the fellows who run to fetch your car. The beach was nice, though the waves were a little too rough for my taste (and the water way too crowded with boogie boarders!). My kids absolutely loved the pool-they could not stop going on that slide! Our package included the breakfast buffet, which was wonderful, the kids had to pay for theirs though, which was a bit expensive. Cafe Ciao was nice, but somewhat overpriced. Nick's was expensive but worth every penny-exquisite food and service. Overall, a wonderful experience. Would go back for sure.

The beach at the Fairmont Kea LaniThe beach at the Fairmont Kea Lani