555 Kaukahi Street, Wailea, Hawaii, 96753, United States
Travelocity Booking.com Expedia.com

Costs 33% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Hotel Wailea

Great value, Peaceful Surroundings, Attentive Staff

We stayed for 5 nights. They upgraded us for free to an ocean view suite. Although the hotel was "full" we rarely saw anybody due to the way the grounds are laid out - the pool never had more than three people and many times was completely empty. The grounds and surroundings are wonderful - peaceful and lush with the sound of running water from the waterfalls everywhere. The room was great, spacious, had just enough facilities to make small snacks if required. Staff were very fiendly and attentive - nothing was too much trouble. Great beaches less than a five minute drive away.

If you are looking for a "quiet" vacation surrounded by the opulence and facilties of a resort without the crowds this is the place!

Great place, great value, great staff.

We wouldn't have stayed anywhere else!

by TripAdvisor Member 3Rs

The hotel is amazing! We had a really big room with a kitchenette (although you can rent a kitchen set, we love cooking so we brought our own pan and utensils - Safeway is just 10 mins away) and the housekeeping always keept our room spotless (they even washed all our dishes!). What we liked most about the hotel was that it was very peaceful and it felt like you had you own piece of Maui. That's why we would highly recommend staying at the Diamond Hawaii or at least in the Wailea area as it is so much more relaxing and less crowded than the Kihei or Ka'anapali areas. Also, you must try the Sansei Japanese restaurant in Kihei which truly lives up to its hype. 50% off on all sushi and food after 10pm from Thursday through Saturday and also 25% off from 530pm - 6pm daily. Definitely worth it if you love Japanese food.

They've got wireless in the room for $29/week and a lovely green tea set. The kitchenette also comes with a special hot water boiler which boils and keeps the water boiling so you can brew tea/coffee. What we also really enjoyed were the heated toilet seat!

The room was very comfortable and we had a big private lana'i with deckchairs overlooking the lush grounds and the ocean - perfect for viewing the legendary Maui sunsets. Pretty tropical birds would often perch on our lana'i and join us while we relaxed.

It was raining so heavily everyday so we were glad to know that the tv came with a DVD player, and we rented some fun movies from Blockbuster nearby (just next to Safeway). The hotel also provides umbrellas in your room.

The staff are always so polite and helpful and there's really nothing more we could ask for. We went by the Fairmont and Renaissance, and if you want the beach experience, those are beautiful hotels to stay at. But if you want a nice, relaxing holiday with beautiful views of the sea and a little part of Maui to your own, don't go to the beach side hotels and seriously consider staying at a place like Diamond Hawaii, you won't regret it.

Stay in the paradise!

by TripAdvisor Member R-Islander

We stayed at the Diamon Resort Hawaii for 8 nights. We had an excellent time there.
They upgraded us to an ocean view apartment when we arrived. We really liked the setting of the resort, as it gives privacy to the guests. There are small houses with 4 apartments in each. Every apartment has a balcony where you can have breakfast in the morning while birds come to share the breakfast with you. The apartment is perfect size, there is a big living room, a small kitchenette, a bedroom and a bathroom. Since it is a Japanese-owned hotel, you are going to have hot water ready for tea or coffee all the time. You can get a free kitchen set if you wish, just have to ask for it at the reception. The kitchen is not huge, but it was more then enough for us, as we did not cook. The room was very clean and well maitained, the maids did a very nice job. It was also absolutely safe, we could leave everything in the room and did not have to worry about being it stolen. They also provide umbrellas, slippers, bathrobes, bathing towels for the guests. They have only one swimming pool, but it is nicely surrounded with palm trees and flowers. There is a jacuzzi and spa as well. The garden is miracuolus, flowers and palm trees everywhere with a small lake and water falls. There are two restaurants in the resort, one Japanese and one Italian. We have tried both of them. They are both a little expenisve. The Japanese restaurant is good for dinner, but their lunch was not great. The rizotto was very delicious in the Italian restaurant. The staff is nice and helpful. At the front desk everybody spoke English, we did not have any problem communicating with the staff. The view from the balcony is beautiful.
The area is very quiet and relaxing. Even if the resort is not right on the bach, you can get to the Wailea beach in 3 minutes and park your car there for free. We did not have any difficulties visiting different beaches and finding parking spaces there. I would highly recommend this hotel to anybody who wants to have a relaxing, wonderful time in a paradise-like setting.

Quietly a Great Place to Relax

by TripAdvisor Member trgvideo

If you are looking for peace and tranquility, then you will stay at no better place. The accomodations are mini-condos with a small "snack only" kitchenette. This resort caters to the Japanese tourist; however, I think everyone needs some peace and solitude. Although the property was full, we barely saw anybody! If you want night life or excitement, it's only a 3 minute drive to Wailea shopping center where you can have a cocktail at Tommy Bahama's bar. It was delightfull to come back to our room and not hear one screaming kid or drunk [--] stumbling to their room. To quote the show Seinfeld... SERENITY NOW! SERENITY NOW! I used the FREE spa and it was relaxing. You can pay for better spa options at the resort; however, I was good with the complimentary spa. There is one issue and that is of the pool. I like pool service. I like pool side cocktails. I like my pool side cocktails delivered by a guy named Javier or a gal named Francesca. The Diamond Resort has NO pool service. We were the only people at the pool every time and while this may sound good, sometimes it is nice to be around other people. Bottom line, if you need excitement or entertainment or an entourage, go into town. If you want your own resort to yourself, it will be the Diamond of your Hawaiian vacation. Also, you are 5 minutes from three awesome golf courses.

Not all that Glitters...

by TripAdvisor Member Thomtlc

Recently returned from two weeks in Maui. Spent them at Diamond Resort.

First the positives: Beautifully landscaped grounds, bathhouses, large. Staff was friendly. The bathhouse gives you a genuine Japanese experience, but know the customs. You have to strip naked and shower seated in open stalls. Then you can enter the bath. Going in in your bathing suit is considered offensive. The resort is very quiet and you often feel like you are the only person there. It's very secluded and intimate. Definitely a better choice than the other resorts in Wailea that have parking structures!!!

Some negatives: No microwave in room, even though it included a kitchen. Staff member admitted that "We prefer you eat out at restaurants." My beef is that we DID eat out at restaurants, but enjoy heated leftovers the next day. The oceanview on the lanai was obscurred by bushes. Standing up, the view was beautiful. The sheets were not soft enough and the pillowtop on the bed was flattened. I had to put the futons on the bed to get a comfortable night's sleep.

The coed jacuzzi and swimming pool are both closed by 9 p.m. The single sex bathhouses are open until 10 p.m. So if you want to enjoy the spa with your wife, do so early enough.

Overall good. However, a bit steep at $300 per night.

A most pleasant surprise

by TripAdvisor Member moveleft

I chose this hotel as part of the package I booked on the United Airlines website. I got the air/car/hotel combo for such an amazing price I was sure there must be something wrong with the hotel. Nope, the place was beautiful. This will be where I stay when I return to Maui. I love the fact that the rooms are all situated in separate four unit bungalows. It makes the experience seem more intimate and certainly quieter. The buildings also have really solid construction so you don't get the noise bleed from neighbors so often associated with modern hotels. The rooms are large, condo-like suites with massive walk-in shower/tub rooms and a separate water closet housing the hi-tech Japanese toilets (which I loved). The grounds are beautiful and the hillside location above Wailea offers sweeping views of the island. We upgraded to an ocean view room and it was well worth it. The staff was friendly and their advice on local dining was honest and always accurate. Front desk staff is particularly friendly, especially at check-in. They also respond to emails quickly and granted all of my advance room preference requests. Yes, there should be microwaves in the rooms and the outdoor pool should be open late but, honestly, these are such minor quibbles. One important note...this is a Japanese owned hotel. Because of that, the indoor bath house/spa is traditional Japanese...that means it's not co-ed and clothing is not allowed. With that said, don't miss it (and it's included with your stay).

Beautiful facilities - uncomfortable bed

by TripAdvisor Member Galiano16

My wife and I spent the first 3 days or our one-week honeymoon at the Diamond. We were looking for a quiet setting with ocean view to start our vacation. We paid more for the deluxe ocean view (unit 073) and had a beautiful unobstructed panoramic view of the ocean.

What I liked: Spacious suite, beautiful grounds (waterfalls, ponds well stocked with koi, birds, fruit trees (we havd a star fruit every day), flowers, toilets with heated water jets to clean you off (you have to try it), Japanese spa facilities (best for when you first arrive and want to unwind), big deck with view.

What I didn't like: My only real problem was the bed - I have have back spasms in the past when I have done something foolish - usually heavy lifting, but one night on the bed at the Diamond nearly put me out. The second night I slept on the sofa, and the third I put the sofa cusions on top of the bed so I was at least near my wife. I was glad to move on to more comfortable beds in less luxurous accomodation - and my back was better by the end of the trip. My wife didn't have any problems - but I could never go back there and expect to sleep well.

Fantastic

by TripAdvisor Member dirtyd12

My girlfriend and I stayed there back in May 2006 and LOVED IT!!!! We felt like we had the entire place to ourselves. The bungalows were bigger than any hotel room and had full kitchens. It's 2 minutes drive from the beaches and all of the major resorts (Four Seasons, Grand Wailea, etc..) and 4 minutes from the great snorkel beaches. Was everything we could have hoped for!!!!

Peaceful retreat

by TripAdvisor Member Zuzgirl

I booked this hotel for myself and my husband after reading reviews that this property is quiet and tranquil. We were on a combination vacation/business trip, and do not enjoy crowds or big group activities. This hotel, at this time of year, fit the bill. It sits high on a hill and had a great view of Molokini. The units were duplex, and we never saw or heard our neighbors. The lay-out of the unit was very nice. Huge shower/bath , separate sink and toilet area.
It had a little kitchen which we never used, except for the fridge.
It was very comfortable.
Our first night, we ate in the on-premises Japanese restaurant.
Would not recommend. The sushi was disappointing, and like everything in Hawaii, high priced.
It was a nice experience, but probably would not stay here again because it is on the lower part of the island, and we had to travel alot for business, and prefer other parts of the island.
The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful.

Spectacular Dining Experience!

by TripAdvisor Member FrenchFryDog

We had an absolutely phenomenal time at Capische in The Diamond Resort, Wailea. We were seated in the working garden with sunset views to Molokini. The garden is lush with herbs and peppers of every description. The meal was superb - we ordered the special of the day consisting of penne pasta with lobster, crab, scallops and shrimp. The wine list is very generous. Capische is one of the best restaurants we have dined at on Maui for both the food and setting.

Comments