Hawaii (State of) Hotels

• Straggler profile photo Straggler
  • Reviews: 22

Malaekahana Campground: Camping on Oahu

Malaekahana Campground

The grass shack was $40 per night - They have a raised bed with little to no padding so bring something to lay on. It is also a walk in - you will have to carry everything to the shack!
The gate is locked at 7PM for cars - Not a big thing unless you have to carry stuff in.
They say they have security but if something is up you will have to get the number and call them. We didn't see them at all the three days we were there.

Great for family, to relax or a cheep north shore hang out.

Going to sleep listning to the Wind and Ocean -
Never found a hot shower.
They also have cabins ($?) and tent sites ($8)
Bus 55 will get you there.
Short distance by car for snorkeling, food....

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Camping, National/State Park
  • Written May 15, 2008

Grass Shack

• csordila profile photo csordila
  • Reviews: 703

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel/Accommodation in Hawaii: Book a Non-Ocean View Room

Hotels often offer discounts, especially during the slower months (May, June, September, October). Oceanfront rooms are the most expensive accommodations. Next come ocean view rooms and then partial ocean view rooms. In high-rise hotels, the upper floors are also priced at a premium. Booking a mountain or garden room view could save you hundreds of dollars on your bill.

This rooms are also incredible, just like walking into an art gallery but without ocean view.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Beaches
  • Written April 19, 2008

Partial ocean view

• love-2-travel profile photo love-2-travel
  • Reviews: 1

Makaha Resort & Golf Club: Honolulu - Makaha Resort & Golf Club

This was an exchange for our Time share and even though it was rather distant from other tourist type attractions it was a nice place to stay at. Clean, pleasent, good pool, nice staff, etc. If you don't mind driving about an hour to get anywhere and don't mind being really out of town then don't chooses this place.

At first we were a bit freaked out that to get there you have to go through some beautiful beach sites that were unfortunately occupied by I assume homeless settlers - the ones walking the streets were rather scary! OK they did not bother us per say but it took some getting use to.

My doughter loved the pool & especially the resort cats that became more friendly with us as time passed...the last day they even climbed into the bed to say goodbye.

• Written November 25, 2007

• jtrue71 profile photo jtrue71

Marriott Ko' Olina Resort: One of the best beaches in Oahu

Marriott's Ko' Olina resort is primarily a time share. But, they also have a JW Marriott right there. The service is outstanding and the beach is perfect for a family trip. There are four lagoons that are completely calm with sandy bottoms.

The Marriott staff is superb. The is definitely luxury travel.

• Related to: Family Travel, Beaches, Golf
  • Written September 24, 2007

• apbeaches profile photo apbeaches
  • Reviews: 741

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Ocean Tower Hotel: Amazing find!!!

We stayed at the Ocean Tower Hotel on Waikiki Beach before and after our NCL Pride of Aloha cruise. Prior to the cruise we stayed in a room on the 7th floor with a terrace and a view of the beach. Although the room was dated, it was very clean, and we felt very safe, the location was perfect & the room comfortably met our needs. Although the hot water shower knob didn’t work well, a maintenance man responded and replaced almost immediately.

Upon our return to Waikiki we stayed in a newly renovated room on the second floor. This boutique room was beautifully designed & detailed. The modern marble bathroom, ultra comfy bed, large plasma television, modern touch pad light & a/c controls, & over sized plush towels were an absolute pleasure.

We were impressed with the ideal location minutes from Waikiki Beach, shops, restaurants & entertainment. Lenor introduced us to the designer, Aqua Management, & friendly guests over breakfast; wonderful coffee, fresh delish pastries & pineapple juice every morning. However, it was truly Lenor Wong & her staff that made our vacation! As far as we’re concerned Lenor should be teaching Customer Service!

• The champagne & chocolates in celebration of our anniversary were very special and appreciated!
• We were given a discount book providing 50% off amazing restaurants & Lenor made excellent recommendations.
• Prior to leaving for Diamond Head, Lenor asked my shoe size and gave me a beautiful heavy duty pair of climbing sneakers that matched my clothing. Thanks Lenor, the sneakers are great!
• We were provided with a late check out, hospitality room that was invaluable!
• Lenor created beautiful lei’s that surprisingly coordinated perfectly with our clothing upon checkout, thanks! We were both beyond impressed!

The highest rating is a 5 and Lenor Wong deserves a much higher rating! The Ocean Towel Hotel was beyond our expectations during both of our stays! We can’t say enough nor rate our experiences more highly.

1. Lenor Wong & her staff should be teaching customer service. She could not have made our trip any more special or memorable, THANKS!

2. Comfortable & beautiful new rooms

3. Location, location & location

4 - 100,000. Lenor, Lenor, & Lenor ...

• Related to: Beaches, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Spa and Resort
  • Written August 8, 2007
Tip Photo

Lenor's Lei's were beautiful & coordinated!

The Four Seasons (Big Island): Villa

When we arrived we were automatically upgraded to a better room which had a shower inside and outside and a beautiful deck that overlooked the beach. It felt like we had our own little villa. It did not feel like a hotel room at all. The room and the service and the location were perfect. We decided to just relax at the last part of our honeymoon so we only stayed at the resort (good decision). The hotel restaurant has the best sushi I have ever tasted! The spa was wonderful. They have a wonderful couples massage out doors but b/c I was so sick I decided to spare my husband and give him a single one since for the entire two weeks I was coughing like a smoker. This was the best hotel we stayed at in Hawaii, but my least favorite island. Thankfully the resort made is totally worth while.

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Luxury Travel, Spa and Resort
Tip Photo

Turtles resting on the rocks

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa: lagoon!

This hotel is beautiful. It has the most fabulous lagoon and salt water pool you can ever imagine. The water slide wasn’t only for kids. The food was fantastic. It was located at the South Shore so it didn’t rain while we were there and the hikes were constant. Everywhere we drove there was a new hike to go on.

Princeville Hotel: Daily rainbow

Everyone here treats you like you are the king and the queen! The service is unbelievable. We had a beautiful terrace that overlooked the mountains and the beach with a daily morning rainbow view.

The Princeville is located on the North Shore which tends to rain almost every day. It didn’t bother us too much since we stayed at the South Short for the first 4 days (no rain) so the sunshine drizzle didn’t bother us too much. Every morning we woke up there was constant rainbow due to the morning showers.

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Spa and Resort, Luxury Travel
Tip Photo

Our daily view from our hotel room

• joiwatani profile photo joiwatani
  • Reviews: 1818

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Pacific Beach Hotel: One of the best hotel views in Honolulu!

We got a room on the 34th floor that has a lanai with a 180-degree view of the Waikiki beach and the Diamond Head.

The room has all the amenities. Of course, there's the tv, the telephone, extra round table and two chairs for writing. The beds are comfortable.

Outside the lanai, there is a picnic table with two lounge chairs. The lanai is great. In the morning, I sit here and wait for the sunrise. I also eat my breakfast here. It has spectacular and amazing views! I watched the surfers and early beach combers in the morning. At night, I sit here and unwind, relax and count my blessings for the day. I thanked God how lucky I am to come visit Hawaii again and how lucky I am to have a brother like Silverio and his wife to book me and my family in this hotel.

The room comes with complimetary coffee in the morning. It has a coffee maker, refrigerator and even safety deposit box! (Of course, the safe deposit box comes with a fee $3.00 per day).

Honestly, the rooms are not comparable to the rooms of hotels I had been, but I just wanted the view! It has spectacular views.

The Pacific Beach Hotel has an award-winning fine dining restaurant. The restaurant is called Oceanaria. It has been voted, year after year, as the best restaurant in Honolulu! The restaurant has an indoor aquarium that holds almost over 30,000 gallons of ocean water! As we enjoy our sumptous meals, we also enjoy watching the sting rays, blow fish, and other tropical fishes swimming in the aquarium! This restaurant has the best breakfast buffet ever- in Honolulu!

The hotel has shops at the lobby. Parking is also not a problem. The hotel has it's own separate parking space connected to the hotel. Make sure to go back to the lobby and use the elevator when you arrive after 10 pm. The doors at the parking lot closes at night for safety reasons.

I highly recommend this hotel for comfort, convenience and for spectacular views! Make sure to ask the check in person to get you to the highest floors with a view.

The staff are well-trained and give good service. There is a swimming pool but it is too small. This doesn't matter to me since the beach is in front of the hotel! There is also a spa but didn't try it either.

• Related to: Family Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written July 22, 2007

The Pacific Beach Hotel

• chrissyhawaii profile photo chrissyhawaii

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Maui prince hotel/Westin kaanpali beach: Maui hotel tips

I stayed at the maui prince twice. I personally love that property. The grounds are absolutely beautiful...rooms could use some updating, but we are never in them anyways, however they are big rooms and the balconies the safest I've ever seen for travel with children. Not many children at this resort however we always take our little one who is 5 years old now and he loves it. The koi pond there where he can feed the koi fish is his favorite thing to do there and the staff is one of the friendlies staff I have ever encountered and the reason we return. They always make us feel welcome. Even though just our second stay the bellman remember us. We were out for a day of shopping and he asked if we were going to the beach that day and if he could offer us some beach towels to take with us. While waiting for our valet to bring the car, the other guys would play catch football with my son to pass the time..not that they take very long anyways.

The westin maui in kaanpali had really beautiful accomodations in the room. Their pool is what most people want to stay there for. Im not gonna lie it is a nice pool, with waterslide and waterfall. They have a huge water fall in the lobby however if getting a gardenview room beware you may be listening to that thing 24/7. Also don't book the mountainview rooms they are more than likely parking lot view so spring a little extra and get an oceanview room. Staff was courteous , front desk check in was awesome as well as our waiter at the poolside restaurant..went out of his way to get my son grape jelly from the banquet hall since they only had strawberry at the restaurant. Watch out for the mai tai's , they are good, but can knock you on your you know what. The lava flows however are so delicious, one of the best I have ever had and refreshing while sitting out by the pool.

Unique Qualities of the maui price I would have to say is the staff first and foremost. They are the most wonderful people you will ever meet. The grounds and location also unique. Maui prince is the only resort in makena, making it very quiet, romantic and relaxing. I love the fact that no matter how far your room is from the beach if you can't afford that oceanfront or oceanview prime room, at night because it is secluded you can sit on your balcony and listen to the wonderful sound of the ocean from any balcony on the property. I moved away from home (hawaii) last year and what I would give to go back there and sit and listen to that unfiltered ocean sound.

The Westin unique qualities I would have to say is one, their pool. It doesn't feel too crowded because of the way it is built on top of the fact that there is an adult pool which is much quieter for those not wanting children splashing all around them. Cabana massage poolside is a nice touch..it's by the adult pool, yet when we walked by the people getting the massage were in full view, probably not the way I would want to get a massage, nice touch outside like that, but maybe could be a little more private. And I would also say their furnishings. They are home of the heavenly everything, from beds, to linens, to robes, to shower curtain even and the double shower heads....awesome.

• Related to: Spa and Resort, Family Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written June 22, 2007

• chrissyhawaii profile photo chrissyhawaii

Hyatt Regency and Hilton Hawaiian Village: Oahu Hotels

Recently stayed at the hyatt regency and hilton hawaiian village in waikiki. Both were great. Actually stayed at the hilton 3 times. A property that you could almost not leave if you didn't want to. Tons of shops, all be it expensive shops, restaurants , entertainment, lounges, beach and pools on property. Watch out for the shops, they overcharge. I bought a pair of shoes a few weeks before for $20.00 saw the same shoes there for $60.00...but then again I am from hawaii so I knew they would be overcharging. The Hyatt was another nice property, on the other end of waikiki than the hilton. Right across the street from waikiki beach. Great location if not having a vehicle. Rooms were really nice and things like hair dryer, iron even and shampoo, conditioner etc, were all top of the line. Shower things from their spa collection so good quality and they give you lots too, not just a one time use kind of bottle. Rooms had the best smell I have ever smelt in any hotel room.

Hilton I like their restaurants..they have restaurants that are not part of the hotel so not as expensive, from pizza and subs to noodle shop...ice cream shop is expensive but oooh so worth it. Grounds are good, kind of a crowded hotel because there are many towers so lots of guests but the property is expansive so not too bad! I think their unique quality is their layout and grounds..big and well thought out.

The hyatt the service was exceptional. From front desk to bell men, to maid....total top notch service. they really know how to pick their employees and show the aloha spirit. Bags always beat us to the room, call down for your car before leaving and the valet has it waiting for you when you get downstairs!!! Maids always checking if you want your room cleaned if you tell them to come back and if not needing a cleaning always offering you new towels and more shampoo and conditioner, not making you ask for it as some people don't like to ask they freely give it to you!

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Spa and Resort, Business Travel
  • Written June 22, 2007

• BethThomasPatterson profile photo BethThomasPatterson
  • Reviews: 3

Waikiki Shore: Best Value on Waikiki Beach

The Waikiki Shore is a Condominium located next to Fort DeRussy Park, right on Waikiki. It is the only Condo located on Waikiki and is co-owned by Castle Properties, The Outrigger Hotel Chain and Private Owners. A great deal- cook your own meals and eat on your Lanai, enjoy spectacular fireworks displays on Fridays from the Hilton Hawaiian Village (located on the other side of Ft DeRussy), and enjoy the conveniences of home (washer/dryer, stove, coffee) while enjoying paradise. The best feature? A BATHTUB! You'll find that many hotels in Oahu do not offer Bathtubs, as a method of water conservation.
Check out VBRO.com for a private condo rental at this place, or check directly with your travel agent about booking with Castle or Outrigger.

Convenient, beautiful location, DIRECTLY on the beach (no cross streets or alleys), Beach Services-Surf boards, boogie boards, snorkel masks, etc. Outrigger Hotel services available at the Outrigger Reef On the Beach (only if booked through Outrigger properties), ABC store within walking distance, located in the heart of Waikiki BeachWalk, the newest "hotspot" in waikiki- Trump Tower, new restaurants, etc.
This place is within 1/2 block to the BEST Scooter Rentals- Island Scooter Rentals, as well as a cute Italian restaurant called Arancino de Mare. Also within 1 block: the Post Office, the #8 Bus Stop (Ala Moana) and a BBQ facilities in Ft DeRussy Park.

• Related to: Beaches, Budget Travel, Family Travel
  • Written May 3, 2007

Hale Hâna Bay: Yes, it's right on the Bay

...on Maui.

Hale Hâna Bay sits on a low bluff directly on Hâna Bay. As a matter of fact, peeking through an opening in the trees, you can see the tip of the pier at Hâna Bay from the back lanai (see pictures).

This property is offered by Hâna Maui Travel, which is the same company that we rented Koali Ranch Cottage (a separate tip) from last year. Both times have been an ease dealing with them.

This old house sits within a residential area that has mostly been converted to rentals of one sort or another. Houses, cottages, or condos, there are plenty to choose from in this locale. There's even a motel-like house with private rooms and private or shared baths called "Joe's Place" (a separate tip).

There is no air conditioning here. The tradewinds keep it cool enough. But if you live in a northern region and find that 75-80 degrees Fahrenheit to be too hot, you may find it a little uncomfortable staying here.

We loved the location of this house. We loved the look and feel of this elevated frame house and all the assocciated squeaks it brings. We loved the cool ocean breeze that swepth softly through. We loved its commanding view of Hâna Bay and of the sunrises seen from the back lanai. We loved the large picture window that perfectly framed the view of the backyard and Bay. We loved the fact that we were within easy walking distance to Hasegawa's and Hâna Bay.

However, there was one overriding aspect that was really annoying: the ants.

With the slightest drop of sweet liquid on the counter or sprinkling of crumbs, a line of ants seemed to come out to investigate. Because of this, we had to keep all foods in the refrigerator, whether they required refrigeration or not. That was one place those pesky critters did not venture.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written February 21, 2007

Great location!

Koali Ranch Cottage: A Million Dollar View

...on Maui.

Be sure to look at all 5 photos!

This cottage is located right along (almost literally) Highway 31 a little ways past Hâna near Kipahulu. Kipahulu is where the Pools of ‘Ohe‘o are located. Our three nights at this central location allowed us plenty of time to explore many of the sights along the Hâna Hwy that you could not see in the typical whirlwind tour when you drive from the other side of Maui to day-visit.

We rented this wonderful, unassuming, single-room house for three nights. Its best feature is its commanding view of the ‘Alenuihaha Channel and the Pacific Ocean from its large lanai.

Its elevation is a couple hundred feet (approx. 60m) above the ocean with nothing but open pastureland stretching about one-quarter mile (approx. 400m) down to the jagged rocks along the coast. You are close enough to the water that you can still hear the crashing surf which was especially evident at night when most all else was quiet. "Most" excludes the gekos and the cows, however, they were not to the point of annoyance. Gekos emit a loud, short, chirpish-groan. One evening there were over 30 gekos on the lanai's walls and ceiling sounding off. As for the cows, one night a wild bull had come down from the mountains and was courting the ladies in the pasture. He was quite vocal.

It is only about 30 miles (128km) across the channel to the Big Island so you can get a glimpse of the shadowy outlines of Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa over there as long as there is not much vog coming from Kilauea during the day. We saw them only once at dawn. They were hazed over the rest of the time. However, at night, we still managed to see the faint glimmer of lights along their slopes.

Everyday was perfect with no rain during our stay. Because of its location, rain forms and falls further inland. The real treat was sitting on the lanai watching the sunrise to the left and the sunsets to the right and slightly behind the island. It was like this lanai was the front-row, center-stage seats for Mother Nature’s biggest and best show. Since the selection of restaurants is very slim in Hâna, we cooked our own and ate every night on our lanai enjoying the cool ocean breeze, the sound of the not-too-distant surf, the gekos sounding, and the cows mooing.

In regards to the Hâna Hwy being right out front of the house: We never even noticed it since we were gone all day and there are very few cars on this road at night. The road in this section, because it is so narrow it is almost a single lane, forces cars to slow down therefore making them much less noticeable.

The real reward of this place was that it provided the best whale watching experience ever (see Travelogue). We had the perfect front-row seats. Being about a half-mile (approx. 800m) from the whales, we could still clearly hear the slap of their tails and bodies on the water. The sound was loud enough that my video camera was able to record it.

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Road Trip, Budget Travel
  • Written February 20, 2007
Tip Photo

Imagine waking up every morning to that view

Treetop Studio: A Tropical Setting

On the North Shore of Kaua‘i, next to a babbling brook, on the backside of a quiet residential area, sits Treetop Studio (http://www.kauai-honeymoon.com/Treetop.htm). This 800 sq. ft. studio looked idyllic to us when we found it online. The price was right and it was in the right place. So we booked it.

The property sits quite a distance from the main highway. As you first leave the main road, you are on a paved road in a residential area. You will eventually leave the pavement and follow a gravel road, where the houses begin to thin out. At the very end, you will find Aloha Sweet Seclusion.

There are five separate accommodations in this one building that sits on stilts. Treetop Studio is on the second floor, which, essentially, makes it a third floor accommodation with two full-length flights of stairs to get to it. If you are wheelchair-bound, you are out of luck here.

The owner, Ray, is very forthcoming with information about his place. His FAQ posted on his website is quite thorough. Be sure to read it thoroughly before booking.

We liked: the quiet location; the real sense of privacy, the babbling brook that ran just behind the building; the spacious room; the reasonable rental rate; the jacuzzi on the lanai; seeing nothing but trees from the windows; the heliconia, ginger, and orchids growing around the property.

We did NOT like: the high humidity from all the rain with no A/C to regulate humidity in our room; the mosquitoes that waited in ambush by our car; the poor quality WiFi service; the length of time it took for the washer and dryer to complete a load of clothes.

We liked plenty of Treetop’s aspects. And we really loved the tropical setting of this place. But, with all of the rain we had on this trip, our opinion of it was dampened somewhat. So, to be fair, we would have to stay here again during a time when there is much less rain in order to get a better feel for the place.

For more pictures of Treetop, go to their website. They are representative of actual.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Jungle and Rain Forest, Budget Travel
  • Written February 19, 2007
Tip Photo

The babbling brook was very soothing at night

Sort by: Most recent | Most helpful

Instant Answers: Hawaii (State of)

Top Hawaii (State of) hotels