Hawaii (State of) Hotels

Our Members Say

The Mahana on Kaanapali Beach: For Long Stays, Rent a Condo

While in Maui, Hawaii, we stayed in a privately-owned Condominium that we rented from a classified advertisement in The Chicago Tribune.

The Condo was located on the third floor of the Mahana on Kaanapali Beach. It was a luxury condominium resort on five acres of lush landscape. There was a beautiful 3-mile stretch of beach along with an ocean-front, heated swimming pool, lighted tennis courts, a sauna, shuffle board, and a BBQ area.

We were amazed at how close our condo was to the beach. If you were watching TV, you had to close the sliding glass door in order to hear because the roar of the ocean was so loud. Isn't that wonderful.

The Mahana was convenient to all of our excursions. Best of all, it was only ten minutes away from Lahaina. Many a time, I walked the beach to other outlandishly expensive hotels to our left. They were fun to explore and to have a drink at their bar.

Our apartment had a washer/dryer, cable TV with VCR and stereo system. The kitchen was small but quite complete. The bathroom was wonderful as was the lanai.

We truly enjoyed our month at the Mahana on Kaanapali Beach in Maui.

The best feature was the proximity to the beach. Each day I would walk the beach because of this convenience. In addition, the heated pool was also excellent and never crowed.

Perhaps the best feature was the lanai, where I drank my morning cup of coffee and watched the whales frolic in the ocean.

• Related to: Beaches, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons

Beach Scene from our Condo Lanai

Embassy Vacation Resort, Maui: Best of Both Worlds: Hotel and/or Condo

One day while walking the ourdoor hallway of our condo building, I decided to take a photograph of the beautiful PINK hotel next to us. That very day, we walked to this hotel and had a drink in the bar. We found out that it is called Embassy Vacation Resort.

It, too, is located on Kaanapali Beach and offer the comfort and services of a fine hotel combined with the independence and easy living of a condo.

The resort has garden atriums, tropical gardens and waterfalls as well as an one-acre pool with waterslide.

There are three restaurants, activities desk, hot tub and jet spa, fitness center, barbeque area, laundry facilities, putting green, and resort shops,

Each suite has a living room with a full-sized sofa bed and an entertainment center with 35" color TV, VCR, and AM/FM radio. The suites contain luxury baths with oversized soaking tub, separate shower, and his/her vanities. They also have kitchenettes with a microwave and refrigerator.

A complimentary American breakfast is included. In the evening, there is a cocktail reception.

• Related to: Spa and Resort, Beaches, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons

Embassy Vacation Resort

Waikiki Beachcomber Hotel: Wonderful Location For Reasonable Price

After spending a month in Maui, we flew to the Island of O'ahu and went to the city of Honolulu to stay for three nights. Our stay was in the Waikiki Beachcomber Hotel across the street from famed Waikiki Beach.

It was a pleasant hotel with a large room/balcony, slight view of ocean, clean, affordable, comfortable, and quiet. But, best of all, the location was excellent. We walked to the beach, to restaurants, and to shopping.

The International Market Place is right next door!
The hotel has 500 rooms on 25 floors, 24 hour Front Desk, Room Service, Restaurant, Cable TV, swimming pool, andSafe Deposit Box.

Our room had a king-sized, comfortable bed, a large balcony with a view, a bathroom with tub and shower, refrigerator, coffee maker, desk, in-room safe, and hair dryer.

The service was friendly and efficient. we had many questions about Honolulu and activities; they answered all our questions and even gave suggestions.

• Related to: Beaches, Seniors, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons

View from our Balcony

• lilbunnygirl profile photo lilbunnygirl
  • Reviews: 45

Halekulani: ~my dream came true~

When I was 12, I saw a picture in a magazine ad for a hotel. It featured a woman in a white swimsuit floating in a beautiful blue pool with a giant picture of an orchid on the bottom. I ripped it out and saved it, because it looked so beautiful, and I dreamed someday I would go there and swim in that same pool.

Many years later, my husband made that dream come true. For the second phase of our honeymoon, we spent 4 nights at the Halekulani, right on Waikiki beach, in the middle of everything.

It far surpassed my expectations. The staff was exceptional, and little touches like a welcome fruit basket, "congratulations on your new marriage" cards and seashells on our pillows at night made the stay even more special.

The location couldn't be better, we were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go.

Both restaurants provided excellent cuisine, and the breakfast buffet was divine.

The spa was not yet open when we were there, but it's meant to be a very nice facility.

• Written February 13, 2004

View from our room, Diamond Head in the distance

• joiwatani profile photo joiwatani
  • Reviews: 1818

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Pacific Beach Hotel: One of the best hotel views in Honolulu!

We got a room on the 34th floor that has a lanai with a 180-degree view of the Waikiki beach and the Diamond Head.

The room has all the amenities. Of course, there's the tv, the telephone, extra round table and two chairs for writing. The beds are comfortable.

Outside the lanai, there is a picnic table with two lounge chairs. The lanai is great. In the morning, I sit here and wait for the sunrise. I also eat my breakfast here. It has spectacular and amazing views! I watched the surfers and early beach combers in the morning. At night, I sit here and unwind, relax and count my blessings for the day. I thanked God how lucky I am to come visit Hawaii again and how lucky I am to have a brother like Silverio and his wife to book me and my family in this hotel.

The room comes with complimetary coffee in the morning. It has a coffee maker, refrigerator and even safety deposit box! (Of course, the safe deposit box comes with a fee $3.00 per day).

Honestly, the rooms are not comparable to the rooms of hotels I had been, but I just wanted the view! It has spectacular views.

The Pacific Beach Hotel has an award-winning fine dining restaurant. The restaurant is called Oceanaria. It has been voted, year after year, as the best restaurant in Honolulu! The restaurant has an indoor aquarium that holds almost over 30,000 gallons of ocean water! As we enjoy our sumptous meals, we also enjoy watching the sting rays, blow fish, and other tropical fishes swimming in the aquarium! This restaurant has the best breakfast buffet ever- in Honolulu!

The hotel has shops at the lobby. Parking is also not a problem. The hotel has it's own separate parking space connected to the hotel. Make sure to go back to the lobby and use the elevator when you arrive after 10 pm. The doors at the parking lot closes at night for safety reasons.

I highly recommend this hotel for comfort, convenience and for spectacular views! Make sure to ask the check in person to get you to the highest floors with a view.

The staff are well-trained and give good service. There is a swimming pool but it is too small. This doesn't matter to me since the beach is in front of the hotel! There is also a spa but didn't try it either.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Family Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written July 22, 2007

The Pacific Beach Hotel

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Surfhouse Hostel: Private bungalow in a fruit grove

This hostel is in Haleiwa on the North Shore of Oahu.. We stayed in a private bungalow, the only one. It was 50$ a night I believe. It had no airconditioning and ventalation wasn't very good. It overlooks a sparse exotic fruit orchard and all the surfers in their tents are right in front of the porch. The owner is French and very nice. It's right off the main road which winds around Oahu, about a 8 min. walk in. Beach is by the road. Beach is great w/ hardly any people, especially around dusk. There is a place to prepare meals at the Surfhouse and a community fridge. There is a fire pit for sitting around at night and an outdoor eating area. There is one shower and toilet for all which added up to about 25 people. Take your shower shoes!!!!!

It's the only acccomodation at an affordable cost in this town. All the other options at this hostel are way cheaper. The beach is nice and turtle beach is just a hop down the road by bus. I good location.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking, School Holidays

Our bungalow

Backpackers Vacation Inn/Plantation Village: Great Beach location

This is on the North of Oahu, up the road from Surfhouse. This hostel had alot of different accomodations all spread out. We stayed in one of their nicest(if not the best) units. It was like a studio apartment. We could do our own cooking and we did. The balcony overlooked the beach but there was alot of foliage in the way. Beach was pretty unpopulated and it was just around the corner. Super place for snorkeling, reef's just 15 feet out, see pic. Saw a sea turtle, colorful fish. The building was right by the main road that circles Oahu. It was a nice place to stay, cost 108$ during peak season. Within walking distance to a very large modern grocery store. A few restaurants nearby. The place is older but fit our needs.
Includes dining area, two double beds, small kitchen w/ all the equipment, private entrance, private patio.

Not very populated beach one minute away, great view. Free snorkeling equipment and good snorkeling.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Diving and Snorkeling, Backpacking, School Holidays

view from private patio

• joiwatani profile photo joiwatani
  • Reviews: 1818

Hilton Hawaiian Village: Hilton Hawaiian Village

Hilton Hawaiian Village is one of the many chain hotels in the United States. The hotel is a four-star hotel located in Honolulu, Hawaii. Since the hotel is located a few blocks away from the Waikiki Beach, the hotel is quieter than the usual buzz at the main busy street close to the beach. It has a beautiful garden and has more space than the usual hotels in Honolulu.

In the website of the Hilton's Hawaiian Village, it says: Located on Waikiki's widest stretch of beach, the Hilton Hawaiian Village Beach Resort & Spa is nestled on 22 oceanfront acres offering the perfect mix of exceptional hotel accommodations and classic Hawaiian hospitality. Imagine lush tropical gardens, waterfalls, exotic wildlife and priceless artwork. As Waikiki's only true resort, we offer you the Village Experience; a perfect blend of luxurious accommodations, over 20 restaurants and lounges, shopping, recreational and cultural activities, nightly entertainment and more!

Has beautiful tropical gardens, waterfalls, exotic wildlife. It is a very spacious hotel.

Note: Since the space on directions below is not enough, I am putting it here:
From Honolulu International Airport, take H-1 Freeway East, to Honolulu. Once on the freeway, look for Waikiki directional signs and stay in the right lane. You will exit onto Nimitz Highway. Stay on Nimitz Highway, which will change into Ala Moana Blvd., for about 15 minutes. You will pass Ala Moana Shopping Center on your left, Ala Moana Beach Park on your right, go over a short bridge, then watch for the Hilton Hawaiian Village sign on your right in about 2 blocks. Stay in the right lane. Turn right on Kalia Road (right after the sign - you'll see 3 bronze statues to your right as you round the corner). Go 200 feet, then turn right into our driveway.

The address is:Hilton Hawaiian Village Beach Resort & Spa

• Written December 5, 2008

The side garden of the Hilton's Hawaiian Village

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Seaside Hawaiian Hostel: Yucky place

We were lucky to find ANY place the day we got there. It was booked in Waikiki/Honolulu, BOOKED. We had a private room that was connect to the girls dorm. My husband had to walk through their bunk room to go outside or use the bathroom. Same thing w/ me when we got moved to the mens dorm, ugh. It was old and rundown. I don't like downtown Waikiki especially after being on the North shore. The buses took forever, much construction, no restaurants, beach was packed...The lady working there is nasty, Judy. Read reviews on this web site. http://www.hostelz.com/display.php/16995+Seaside+Hawaiian+Hostel

Cheap for dorm rooms. Place to cook meals.

• Related to: Beaches

the hostel

• starship profile photo starship
  • Reviews: 969

The Hilton Hawaiian Village: One of the Best

Composed of several towers, the Hilton Hawaiian Village didn't disappoint us. The setting is a tropical paradise right on the beach.

This picture of the "Rainbow Tower" shows that the Rainbow is actually a magnificent mosaic and makes this the most picturesque hotel on Waikiki except for perhaps the legendary pink stucco Royal Hawaiian.

There is a fabulous view of Diamond Head and the hotel is literally only steps away from the beach. The hotel grounds offer lush tropical surroundings such as gardens, pools and open air lobbies. The garden pools are stocked with koi fish, and ducks and a beautiful swan seem to beg for your attention. The tiki torches make it especially atmospheric at night.

• Written June 24, 2003

Hilton Hawaiian Village's Rainbow Tower

• lilbunnygirl profile photo lilbunnygirl
  • Reviews: 45

Kona Village Resort: A Romantic Hideaway

A beautiful all-inclusive property not too far from the Kona airport, Kona Village really is an ideal spot for any couple who want to get away from everything but each other.

No phones, no televisions. Guests stay in of 125 individual hales, some with private jacuzzis on the porch, most with ocean views. Both black & white sand beaches and dramatic lava formations encourage romantic walks. Delicious gourmet meals are served in the dining room or out near the water.

When you want to be alone, there's a painted coconut to put on your doorstep that tells the staff to stay away!

Included in the room rate are 3 meals daily, snorkeling equipment, kayaks, sunfish sailboats, glass-bottom boat excursions, use of the fitness center, tennis, and the Friday night luau. We checked out friday, so we missd the luau, but it's supposed to be quite a production.

The snorkeling is quite good, and 2 giant manta rays come to swim in a lighted area by the shore each night.

There's a pond with ducks and wild birds, and several historic ancient sites on the grounds you can walk to.

• Written February 13, 2004

View from the hale

• magdalena2007 profile photo magdalena2007
  • Reviews: 60

The Four Seasons (Big Island): Villa

When we arrived we were automatically upgraded to a better room which had a shower inside and outside and a beautiful deck that overlooked the beach. It felt like we had our own little villa. It did not feel like a hotel room at all. The room and the service and the location were perfect. We decided to just relax at the last part of our honeymoon so we only stayed at the resort (good decision). The hotel restaurant has the best sushi I have ever tasted! The spa was wonderful. They have a wonderful couples massage out doors but b/c I was so sick I decided to spare my husband and give him a single one since for the entire two weeks I was coughing like a smoker. This was the best hotel we stayed at in Hawaii, but my least favorite island. Thankfully the resort made is totally worth while.

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Luxury Travel, Spa and Resort
  • Written July 31, 2007
Tip Photo

Turtles resting on the rocks

• KiNyA profile photo KiNyA
  • Reviews: 730

The Keauhou Resort: Keauhou

Great place to stay, just few feet away from the seaside, less than 10 minutes to walk to Keauhou SHopping Center - The Shopping Center of Hawaii :-)

For me it was fantastic cause my relatives own one of those apartments so I was allowed to stay there with no fee :P

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written March 9, 2003

Keauhour Appartments

• TropicGirl77 profile photo TropicGirl77
  • Reviews: 254

Beach Hotels: Waikiki is full of Hotels

Waikiki is full of hotels, most which are right at the beach front. Prices can range from the $70's to well over $200. If you're visiting and have purchased a tour package, you'll be thankful that you have a hotel right in Waikiki, which will make getting to destinations a lot easier since most tour groups usually have free pickup from the hotels.

Even at the beach front, you'll be surprised how many hotels have pools. Almost all of our hotels have their own entertainment and restaurants right on the premises. Many also have shops right in the hotel, or well within walking distance.

• Related to: Family Travel, Business Travel, Luxury Travel
  • Written February 21, 2003

Beach front hotels

• slaybelle profile photo slaybelle
  • Reviews: 290

Had the pleasure of staying at...

Had the pleasure of staying at Paul Mitchell's Estates. This spectacular Hawaii vacation luxury home is located in lovely Lanikai, an upscale and friendly community, off of the beaten path, on the windward side of Oahu. Lanikai makes you feel as though you've been able to really been able to 'get away from it all', yet it's conveniently located only 25 minutes from downtown Honolulu.

• Opinion of Price:
  • Written September 12, 2002

Sort by: Most recent | Most helpful

Instant Answers: Hawaii (State of)

Top Hawaii (State of) hotels