5-7130 Kuhio Highway, Hanalei, Hawaii, 96714-9985, United States

Expedia.com Hotels.com Booking.com

• Personal Paradise

I've stayed at HCR several times and enjoy it more and more each time. The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful. The resort can be described as simplistic. There is a pool and laundry facilities on the grounds. There is a lounge area where guests can mingle or watch TV.

Each room has two bedrooms and one - two baths. They each have a full kitchen, family room, and eating area. There is either a balcony or deck (first or second floor).

The restuarant on the grounds (Mediterranean Gourmet) is a little pricey, but definitely worth it. The owner is incredibly talented in the kitchen and friendly to all. The coffee shop/store has wonderful items for sale. I bought my first Tahitian pearl here, it is beautiful and was one of the best prices I found on the island.

Whenever I go, I stay in the F building because of it's location on the ocean. Yes, it gets a bit windy at times, but it's definitely worth it.

Unique Quality: The rooms have no phones or television. The office has a supply of books, magazines, games and puzzles to enjoy in your room.

The view is stunning. From the beach, you can look across Hanalei Bay to the Princeville Resort. During whale season we sit and look for whales. We've seen many pods of dolphins playing right outside the break.

Don't miss Tuesday night Pu-pu night. Bring a pu-pu and enjoy the company of other guests. All the apartments are owned by individual families. If you can run into one of them, you'll find out the greatest secrets the island has to offer!

Directions: Once you pass the Last Chance shop and restaurant, you can't miss it. It will be on the right handside, just over a one-lane bridge.

More about Hanalei Colony Resort

Either a condo at Princeville...

by popette1

Either a condo at Princeville (very reasonable), or Hanalei Colony Resort in Hanelei itself. Both are fabulous, and include housekeeping service!!!
Well - in 1983, the Colony ran $77/night for a two bedroom with a kitchen. In 1978, Princeville was only a little more than that. Princeville has all ranges of prices though - from medium to pricey. Prices are still great from what I have seen. The highest cost in Kauai is getting there from the mainland! We like peace and quiet, and a homey atmosphere. For more activity, go to the Coco Palms in Lihue.

Haena Beach Park

by Hopkid

Traveling west on the Kuhio Highway after passing the Hanalei Colony Resort, the first main beach you'll come to is Haena Beach Park. It has a parking area, bathroom facilities, and a grassy park area. It also has a lifeguard tower which can come in handy due to the strong surf that can be experienced here. There's usually a food truck in the parking lot as well which is the only source of prepard foods this side of Hanalei. They make a pretty good shave ice.

Tunnels Beach

by atufft

One of the easier places to get to and enjoy along the north shore is Tunnels Beach. The beach is 2-miles long, stretching from Hanalei Colony Resort to Ha'ena Beach Park. In the center area, there is a degraded coral reef close to shore, and then further out a series of underwater caves and spaces between large rock cut areas. I had a great time snorkeling among the rocks, watching the fish and other sea life swim among the rocks. To get out to this area one does need to be a fairly strong swimmer. The beach is also pretty clean and white, and unlike the more crowded beaches on Oahu, there is space enough to separate families from romancing couples. We saw a turtle swimming in the surf here, so the wild life is pretty plentiful. But, there aren't any lifeguards or extra services. Bring your lunch or buy one nearby. But, there is a place to camp.

beautiful but noisy ocean and wind

We stayed at Hanalei Colony resort during September of 2005. We were in unit G, premium ocean front. The views were spectacular: we were eating luch at the kitchen table during a small rainstorm..a few minutes later a rainbow arched from the ocean into the mountains. We saw many rainbows from our room during that trip. The unit was clean and if there was a sewer smell floating around as some people said, we didn't notice it. The only complaint that we had was the noise of the ocean! I know I will get poo-pooed for saying this but it may have been the location of the unit to the bay. Unit G is right in the corner..spectacular views all around but the wind was incessant! The wind and the constant churning of the water was annoying to me. Let me say this was not the peaceful, crashing of waves and the resultant lull as the water flows to the sand(like I'm used to here in CA). I felt like I was in the middle of a hurricane the entire time, day and night. I'm not sure if it was the time of year or the unit. I'm curious if it was like this during other parts of the year for other people. I have no other complaints..we enjoyed our stay but were glad we had earplugs.

Magical

by TripAdvisor Member Sakura415

We got married at the Hanalei Colony Resort on March 31st. It was absolutely dreamy. We brought 37 guests with us, all of whom stayed at the resort for a week. They all had the Premium Ocean Front Condos. Totally worth the price!! I wouldn't choose any other, after experiencing this. The view is spectacular, and the resort itself is very well maintained. I loved the plantation and how they have laid out the resort. For those of you expecting a five star hotel, this is not the place for you. If you want a private beach, a bit of seclusion, peaceful atmosphere, unplugged... this is it!
Just a few minutes away from the best snorkeling beach, Tunnels, and the best sunset, Ke'e. We've tried Poipu and other beaches, none compare to these two. You can even walk to Tunnels in about 30 minutes, all along the beach. Also a fantastic hike at Kalalau Trail.
If you plan to get married here, I would definitely recommend! Maybe I'm just not the bridezilla type, but I swear the wedding was PERFECT. More than we imagined it would be. The decorations were fantastic, the service was great, the VIEW was spectacular, the facility was nice and cozy... and to top it off, we got a rainbow and sunshine at our ceremony! We couldn't have ask for more.
A few pointers for first timers: March is still quite rainy. We stayed there a second week into April, and the weather was twice as better. We got a lot of sun. If staying at HCR, be sure to stock up on groceries. If you're like me and don't mind cooking, these condos are great. I wouldn't stay with more than 4 adults in a condo. It does get a little cramped with 5.
My family and I would DEFINITELY stay there again. Perhaps in later months like May or June, but would choose the Premium Ocean Front. As for the sewer smell... I won't lie, you can definitely smell it here and there. But it really isn't that bad. Aside from a couple of one-time comments, our guests didn't complain either. The ambience is just overall relaxation.
The day spa there also arranged a bridal shower for us. Each of the girls got their treatment. Again, fantastic. Highly recommended. The massage is great, the pedicure is awesome (you WILL fall asleep), and I hear the other services are great too.
Enough raving. You should see for yourself.

This place saved our vacation

by TripAdvisor Member mequinox

This place was exactly what we wanted - no phones, tv, loud music from other guests, etc etc. We had a 2nd story condo right on the ocean - all buildings are 2-story 4-plexs with a king bed, 2 single beds done as a 90 degree couch, kitchen & 2 bathrooms. We were right on the water, and I think which building you're in matters a lot - some are directly on the ocean, some have a view but are not right on the water. Also, since there's no air conditioning, I'd recommend a 2nd story condo so you can get the breezes. They have great ceiling fans in each room, so we were never too hot.
The condos are typical Hawaiian style - open plan with sliding doors onto a deck/lanai and louvred windows on the other sides, so you can always get a cross breeze. The Bay is beautiful, though for swimming or snorkeling you're safer off at Tunnels or one of the other close-by beaches. Most of Hanalei Bay is not really great for swimming, but I found the staff helpful with beach recommendations, a tide calendar, and all that stuff.
There's a good restaurant, great espresso and a gift shop right off the parking lot, and (theoretically) internet access in that same building. We found access pretty iffy all over the island, salt air being what it is.
We went to Kauai for a business conference, so were committed to the Kauai Beach Resort (which we called "Disneyland", and not fondly) on the east side for the conference. Hated it hated it hated it. We spent time looking for an alternative for the post-conference part of our vacation, and on the recommendation of a stranger drove up to the north shore and to the Hanalei Colony Resort.
If you want a "real" resort, with air conditioning and the kind of hyper-North American esthetic that a Radisson or Hyatt gives, then go to one of those. You can have all the fake waterfalls and over-priced meals you want. If you want quiet, the ocean, and to know that you're actually on a Hawaiian island and not first-world-hotels-r-us, then this is the place for you. Sweet staff, conservative with energy & resource use, (after all, how much fresh water do you think a small island in the Pacific actually has? No one "needs" fresh towels every day) a full kitchen and wonderful food shopping 15 minutes away in Hanalei - we cooked fresh caught fish and ate fresh local fruit every day while saving lots of money. This place let us have a real vacation, and I'd go there again in a hot second.

overated

just got back from kauai. spent 4 days on poipu and 5 in hanalei. i dont think id stay at hanalei colony again. im familiar with the north shore of kauai and have stayed in the area before. the reasons are as follows. the most uncomfortable furniture is in these condos, normally im couldnt really care about the vacation furniture but with this place theres no tv so your kinda hanging around reading alot and these couches (and the beds) s----. we were lucky to be in a ocean front unit and was glad since id read about the septic smell in the back condos but i still had several wiffs of septic aroma as i walked around the grounds(and it was quite windy while we were there i cant imagine how bad it would be without wind). also the units are SMALL the 2 br we rented was really a studio with shutters to separate the "rooms" if my father in law was snoring in the other "room" i heard it, if he was reading i knew it. we never had housekeeping, they cameby while my daughter was napping i asked her to come back later she never did. the kitchen could have been better supplied, no tupperware at all was there. the pool was too cold to swim in

on the positive side the staff were mostly nice they threw a nice super bowl party with free(decent) food. we had a high chair and crib supplied by them with no problems. the views are nice it was pretty quiet.

overall again i didnt think it was worth the 250-260 nite with all the little taxes etc. i realize its kauai and its not a cheap place but again it felt like a days inn as far as the furnishings. if your going there with a group of 4-5 id look into renting a house for a little more money.

jj seattle,wa

Honeymoon Haven

by TripAdvisor Member kasiacvm

My new husband and I stayed here the first 5 days of our honeymoon. First, it was worth having the Premium Ocean front. We had waves crashing outside our window from when we awoke to when we retired. Wonderful. Room was nicely furnished, but the bed wasn't terribly comfortable. Smaller beds were even more uncomfortable.
Grounds were nicely laid out and we attended two guest get-togethers which were fun! Mai Tai night and brunch. We did occasionally smell the septic tank, but only walking around the grounds closer to the road.
New restaurant on property-Mediterranian Grill- was wonderful! Great food. Wonderful servers. Yum!
Staff was always friendly and helpful. We would definately come back.....especially if they made the beds more comfortable!

Beautiful view from premium suite

by TripAdvisor Member 1dragnet

This is a good property; but, it is more of an apartment then a resort. The view from our premium suite was beautiful. The beach is not a swimming or snorkeling beach; but, tunnels is just up the road. Unfortunately, parking for tunnels is a hassel so if that is where you want to spend most of your time then rent a property on that beach.

Hanalei Colony Resort (North Shore) or Hyatt (South Shore)?!?

by Greg&Lisa

My wife and I are debating between two (from what I read) very different settings, a condo right on the beach with a 180 degree ocean view (from what we read anyway) at the Hanalei Colony Resort (suppossedly a very quiet place) versus an ocean view room at the Hyatt. We are also considering the Princeville. I am aware of the weather differences and of all the other differences between the two shores, but how big of a deal is it to drive from the Hyatt to the north shore, or to go hiking on some remote trail from the Hyatt. If I go hiking from the directly adjacent Hyatt area, am I going to come across a waterfall that isn't crowded with other tourists? do I have that chance hiking in the park on the north west side of the island? Is it a huge pain to get to remote, secluded hikes or locations from the Hyatt? Has anyone stayed at the Hanalei Colony Resort?

Re: Hanalei Colony Resort (North Shore) or Hyatt (South Shore)?!?

by BlueCollar

If hiking is your forte, then you'll definitely want to stay at the Hyatt since it is more centrally located on the south side of the island. The best hiking trails are located at each end of the road on the north shore. You'll have the Kalalau trail that starts at Ke`e Beach which is at "the end of the road" near Ha`ena. Then there are several even more glamorous trails in Koke`e State Park (where Waimea Canyon is located) on the far west side. Since the main highway does not circumvent the island (the Kalalau Valley is the obstacle), you'll need to drive to both ends. The approximate drive time from the Po`ipu area (where the Hyatt is located) to Ha`ena is about 90 minutes. The approximate drive time to Koke`e State Park is about 50 minutes from Po`ipu.

However, I would agree with the previous post that the north shore near Hanalei is the better place. Then just prepare for a long drive to Koke`e.

On our last trip to this island, my wife and I split our stay to 3 nights in Kapa`a at a B&B and then 4 nights in Waimea (at Waimea Plantation Cottages). This way it was not too far of a drive to the trails.

Although there are trails near the Po`ipu area, your time and effort will be better spent going to my previously mentioned areas. You will find them well worth it.

I hope you have a great trip and be sure to take plenty of photos to share with us.

BCT