Kauai Hotels

Our Members Say

• spitball profile photo spitball
  • Reviews: 131

Motel Lani: Exactly what you'll need

When I arrived on the island of Kauai, I was tired from my stay at the shared hostel in Honolulu, so this place I found in the local phone book, the price was right, and I wasn't interested in watching any television, and since none is available, it was perfect.
Clean sheets and blankets on the bed/s, clean towels and fresh soap in the washroom, plenty of hot water in the shower made this a great spot to rest.
The location is on Rice Road, a busy thoroughfare, but very good if you need to find your way.

Credit cards are not accepted, but they will accept travellers cheques.

Frommer's Review describes Motel Lani as: a three star, no-frills bed and shower, you won't find a little basket of toiletries in the bathroom or a mint on your pillow, but you will get a clean, basic room (no TV) for as little as $34. This small, concrete-block motel mainly serves interisland travelers and a few visitors on a budget.
The location, on a busy street right in the heart of Lihue, isn't bad--the airport is just a 5-minute drive away, making this a good rest stop if you have an early-morning flight
For $50 you can get a room with a kitchenette.
A/C, small fridge, kitchenette in some rooms

• Related to: Backpacking, Study Abroad, Budget Travel
  • Written December 29, 2007

Motel Lani

• kuchunga profile photo kuchunga
  • Reviews: 19

Sunset Inn: A cute and comfortable cottage

We stayed this cottage for 4nights to explore the North coast of the island and it was very nice. I personally don't like eating out all the time so it was perfect. It has all the kitchen stuff you need to cook so we went to a super market to stock up food and we pretty much ate most of time at the cottage or sandwiches we made to go. There is this food called Ahi Pork whichi is marinated Tuna they sell it all over the island and it became our favorite, we had this a lot too. Also it was very homey feeling there we were very relaxed at night. One thing, you can't really sleep in because there are a lot of wild chikens in the island and they start early...

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written September 25, 2007

• kuchunga profile photo kuchunga
  • Reviews: 19

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Sheraton Kauai Resort: A safe bet, a good deal and a good location.

It's right on a beach. They have a beach called Sheraton beach although it is a public beach so anyone can come. My room was an ocean view and it was new, very nice and clean, high ceilings. I was pretty happy with my room. If you are feeling just staying in a hotel property the beach is very nice to hang out. It's recommened to go to a beakfast early if you are eating in the hotel like 7am. Later it gets pretty clouded. I was there in the new year and having a breakfast around 7am provided a great view of sunrise.

• Related to: National/State Park, Family Travel
  • Written September 25, 2007

• laforstraveller profile photo laforstraveller
  • Reviews: 77

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Islander on the Beach--Kapaa: Not a good deal

My husband and I chose this hotel in February 2002 for a couple of reasons, 1) we wanted to be on the East shore and 2) we didn't have too much money to spend as this was our honeymoon and we were going to be on the island for two weeks. The service was quite poor. Our first bad encounter was signing in at the front desk. No "Aloha!" no "Welcome!" just "Checking in?" (I've seen sticks with better personalities!) We got to our room, and it was two twin beds. Again, this is our honeymoon, and we booked a queen. Then, the next room had no shower head and was dirty. Finally, we settled for a room with a queen, but a broken A/C. We were awoken the next morning at 7 AM by the repairman wanting to fix our A/C. Glad to have the A/C, but 7 AM is a little early. No apologies and no compensation for our troubles.

As we all know, the pictures in brochures and on the company's website don't tell (or rather show) the truth. The grounds were nice, but that was about it. The room wasn't well lit and had a damp, moldy smell to it. The location, however, was great.

There is no onsite restaurant and had a small pool and jacuzzi. Each building is named after one of the Hawaiian islands. We stayed in the Ni'ihau building.

Great views of Wailua Beach--if it weren't for that, I would want my money back.

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written September 7, 2007

• IaGhost profile photo IaGhost
  • Reviews: 4

Outrigger Lae Nani: Central Kauai Location

The entire family agreed that the Outrigger Lae Nani was an excellent choice for a place to stay. Some would say it is a bit expensive but for the accommodations and location it was definitely worth the money.

Our balcony had a great view of the ocean, "private" beach which was protected somewhat by a reef that made swimming and snorkeling easy, pool and was centrally located for us to make all our day trips an equal distance in any direction.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Family Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written August 11, 2007

• GracesTrips profile photo GracesTrips
  • Reviews: 1263

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hilton Kauai Beach Resort: Better than I anticipated!

We were on the third floor of an ocean view room for about $250 a night. The room was comfortable, the bathroom could have been a tad bigger. We had a balcony we could sit on with addtional views of the pool. I think well worth what we paid. I didn't expect too much since it looked awfully close to the airport and the main town of Lihue but actually was not. So, overall, an enjoyable stay.

The hotel is right on the beach! Most amazing views at sunrise since it's on the east coast of the island. There are crabs all over the beach and the water was warm! The hotel just has one restaurant but the food was very good (expensive, too!). Breakfast for two would easily cost $25-$35. I love the fact you have a choice of potatoes or steamed rice with your omlet.

• Related to: Beaches, Luxury Travel
  • Written July 31, 2007

View from our room

• dpkmd profile photo dpkmd
  • Reviews: 1

Wailua Bay View Condo: Good Kauai location

In early July, 2007, we stayed in Kauai in a condo rental which was about 10 minutes from the airport in Lihue, Kauai (LIH). It was a perfect location which was about in the middle of the sights on the northern and southern parts of the island. It took no more than an hour to get to anywhere on the island.
We originally chose this condo because it was a one-bedroom with air conditioning. Despite the fact that everyone will tell you that A/C isn't necessary and that there is sometimes a breeze which "cools down" the unit, it would have been unbearable for these three Floridians who use the A/C even in our 70-degree weather. From the first night there, our teenager camped out in our bedroom (the only room with A/C) since his room, the living room, was very warm and at night, attracted big, black bugs.

Our view was excellent of the Wailua Bay where my son attempted to surf. The water was warm, but murky and the beach was no more than a five-minute walk from our unit.
Our unit was completely furnished with everything we needed, except more A/C space.

• Related to: Beaches, Family Travel
  • Written July 26, 2007

• stretke profile photo stretke
  • Reviews: 13

Kauai Sands: Affordable on the beach

Less than $100 a night for a decent room next to the beach, the only negative was several roaches in the room. The hotel restaurant, "Al and Dons," serves delicious macadamia nut and banana pancakes with coconut syrup.

Small pool and a nice beach with great views.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Hiking and Walking, Water Sports
  • Written April 29, 2007

• anticarley profile photo anticarley
  • Reviews: 6

Garden Island Inn: Eco-Friendly

Located only minutes from the airport, I highly recommend this gem. After talking to the owner (who was more than helpful and friendly) we got a cute little room on the ground floor. We didn't have air conditioning but it is available. There was a little counter in the back of the room with a sink, microwave, and a coffeemaker. There was also a fridge underneath the counter and 2 garbage bins, one for recyclables and one for non. The bathroom was quite nice for its small size, with a sink, a counter and long mirror, and a tiled shower (no bath). This was his most modest priced available room, but you can choose to stay in one of the Orchid Suites.The rooms are all non smoking, but there is a garden area with some chairs and a bench where smoking is allowed. Kalapaki Beach is located across the street. There is also a little marketplace behind the beach with maybe 15 or so shops and eateries. A little ways down the road, there is also a mall. I would recommend this hotel to any and everyone.
In the hotel lobby, there is a koi pond that goes through the wall to the outside. Very nice touch. The hotel also offers free use of beach towels, boogie boards, ect. to its guests.

The most unique thing about the hotel is how eco-friendly it is. Not only was there the recyclables bin, but there were also notes about saving electricity by turning off lights and tv, and one in the bathroom suggesting to reuse your towels to save the island from water waste. Being an environmental protector myself, I really enjoyed that a hotel would suggest these tips to its guests.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Beaches, Water Sports
  • Written March 3, 2007

Kalapaki Beach

• anticarley profile photo anticarley
  • Reviews: 6

Kauai Sands Hotel: Budget-Friendly And a Great Place to Start

I started out my trip to Kauai at this hotel, and I absolutely recommend it. The beach is right outside the hotel grounds and is in perfect position to welcome the morning sunrise. The hotel n a great place not only because of the secluded and quiet beach, but also because it is right next to The Coconut Marketplace, a open air mall with about 70 or so shops, a movie theater, and eateries. Located in the hotel is Al and Dons Restaurant. Although its open strange hours that I would constantly forget, the dining is exquisite not only because of the value and taste, but also because its situated practically on top of the shore. The hotel staff was excellent, they helped us to their best ability whenever we had a question, and I even made a friend. The hotel rooms I stayed in included 2 double beds, a television, a/c, a fridge, and a porch although I'm sure there are other options available. As if you are going to spend much time in your hotel anyway when there are such amazing sights to see!
Room amenities include:
a/c fridge tv phone balcony/terrace coffeemaker microwave
daily maid service smoke alarms

The hotel also offers a laundry room, 2 pools, fax machine, wheelchair accessibility, photocopier, gift shop, well lit parking lot, coded lock gate, and security guards.

The best part about the hotel was the friendliness I received from the staff. Also the grounds were absolutely beautiful and as natural as possible. But seriously, the best part about the hotel was the beach.
Tip: When you walk onto the beach, take a hike down away from the mountains (or take a left). After a little ways, you'll see a huge tree trunk laying down with a cute tree almost draping over it. I really enjoyed sitting on the tree trunk and letting he waves crash against it and splash me. Be careful on it though, its slightly slippery.

There are plenty of animals living around the hotel. There are cute little sand crabs on the beach, and cute little birds that I called pidgickens, because to me they resembled a pidgin in their shape and coloring, but they were a bit larger, and had the feet of chickens. I thought it was funny how they weren't afraid to be at your feet begging for food if you happened to be eating on the balcony, but please do not feed them. There are signs posted throughout the hotel asking that you don't. I guess some people would find it a nuisance, but they were nothing like seagulls, they just quietly sat waiting for you to drop a crumb.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Birdwatching, Beaches, Budget Travel
  • Written March 3, 2007
Tip Photo

Early morning at the the hotel beach

• BlueCollar profile photo BlueCollar
  • Reviews: 173

Treetop Studio: A Tropical Setting

On the North Shore of Kaua‘i, next to a babbling brook, on the backside of a quiet residential area, sits Treetop Studio (http://www.kauai-honeymoon.com/Treetop.htm). This 800 sq. ft. studio looked idyllic to us when we found it online. The price was right and it was in the right place. So we booked it.

The property sits quite a distance from the main highway. As you first leave the main road, you are on a paved road in a residential area. You will eventually leave the pavement and follow a gravel road, where the houses begin to thin out. At the very end, you will find Aloha Sweet Seclusion.

There are five separate accommodations in this one building that sits on stilts. Treetop Studio is on the second floor, which, essentially, makes it a third floor accommodation with two full-length flights of stairs to get to it. If you are wheelchair-bound, you are out of luck here.

The owner, Ray, is very forthcoming with information about his place. His FAQ posted on his website is quite thorough so be sure to read it thoroughly before booking.

We liked: the quiet location; the real sense of privacy, the babbling brook that ran just behind the building; the spacious room; the reasonable rental rate; the jacuzzi on the lanai; seeing nothing but trees from the windows; the heliconia, ginger, and orchids growing around the property.

We did NOT like: the high humidity from all the rain with no A/C to regulate humidity in our room; the mosquitoes that waited in ambush by our car; the poor quality WiFi service; the length of time it took for the washer and dryer to complete a load of clothes.

We liked plenty of Treetop’s aspects. And we really loved the tropical setting of this place. But, all of the rain we had on this trip may have also dampened our indifferent opinion of it. So, to be fair, we would have to stay here at a time when there is much less rain in order to get a better feel for the place.

For more pictures of Treetop Studio, follow my link to their website. They are representative of actual.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Budget Travel, Jungle and Rain Forest
  • Written February 19, 2007
Tip Photo

The babbling brook was very soothing at night

• agapotravel profile photo agapotravel
  • Reviews: 233

Hale Lani Cottage: 35 acres of private paradise

While we were on Kauai, we stayed on Secret Beach at a private cottage called Hale Lani (Heavenly Home). I can't even begin to describe how much we loved this cottage.

gated entry; the landscaping was unbelievable; outdoor jacuzzi; acres to wander and explore; private pathway to the beach; no air conditioning (just FYI for those of you that MUST have it)

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Beaches, Luxury Travel
  • Written February 18, 2007

Hale Lani cottage

• cchiuching profile photo cchiuching
  • Reviews: 50

Waikomo Stream Villa #320: Waikomo Stream Villa #320

nice condo, nice environment, good budget, if u wanna stay somewhere the sun is, choose South Kauai in winter, well-equipped kitchen, BIG SAVE supermarket everywhere, u can buy food and cook for yourself. grill in garden. swimming pool small but nice. small pond with lotus. really cool in the evening in winter, no need for airconditioning. clean and spacious condo. u can even find boogie board and beach chair in the condo. washing machine, dryer, dish washer, all very good to have! a sweet home for vacation! in the morning birds sing to wake u up :D ...... the only disadvantage i would say is: no internet connection, i did see a small cockroach running in the bathroom

• Related to: Family Travel
  • Written January 28, 2007

well-equipped kitchen

• davencel profile photo davencel
  • Reviews: 11

Manoa Apartment: Rent a House/Room

Affordable and clean. Manoa apartment is very close to Ke'e and Tunnels Beach. Both are walking distance, Tunnels is about a minute walk, while Ke'e is less than 5 minutes. The room we rented has a full kitchen and we cooked most of the time to save money.

• Written January 6, 2007

• BlueCollar profile photo BlueCollar
  • Reviews: 173

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

The Lodge at Koke‘e: A Step Above Camping

What do you expect for $45 per night? Not much.

We knew that this place was a couple steps above camping. And it was.

Our cabin was dark and dreary. Its wood floor shows its uncared-for age and the utensils in the kitchen were sparse. Those that were there were usable but old. The cabin is old but still sound. We were informed of all this (except the dark and dreary part) prior to reserving.

This cabin had two rooms with two single bunks each. We had to make our own beds with the sheets, towels, and toiletries neatly tossed into a plastic bag heaped onto the double bed in the main room. There is limited seating with just two chairs at the small table in the main room.

Do you like to drink coffee when you first wake? Well, you have to use an old-fashioned, stove-top percolator here. No Mr. Coffee maker! My wife used the container for the flowers she bought (see picture). We just used a pan to heat water and used instant coffee. >:p

No phone. No cell service. No television. We ended up watching a DVD we bought on my laptop (the DVD was titled "Extreme Kaua‘i", an excellent production showing the seldom seen places of Kaua‘i). If you thrive on nightlife, do not stay here.

This place is just a few steps above camping. We had a solid roof over our heads to keep the rain off us (it rained very hard two of our three nights here). We had hot showers and an easy way to heat water for coffee. Other than that, it was just like camping.

We knew most all of this prior to reserving. However, once there, reality sets in and you see the error of your ways. Why did we choose this place? Because of its proximity to all the wonderful trails in the park. However, due to the amount of rain during our stay, hiking was severely limited. So any reason to endure these meager accommodations was quickly eliminated. We felt stuck with nothing to do but drive back down into Waimea or further.

It's only $45 per night for the stand-alone cabins ($35 for the attached). Maximum of 5 night stay. Friday and Saturday nights must be rented together.

The Lodge at Koke‘e is located between milemarkers 15 and 16 on Waimea Canyon Drive within Koke‘e State Park. It sits at about 4,000 feet of elevation. And, yes, that means the mornings can be chilly.

They have twelve rentals. Eight of the rentals are stand-alone cabins. The other four sit as two buildings of attached cabins.

They tend to book-up early by the locals because this is where they come to escape the hordes of tourists invading their island home. We were reserving a stand-alone cabin in January for our October trip and they only had two left. So you need to reserve here very early if you plan on getting one.

The Lodge office/store/restaurant is only open from 8am to 4pm. There is no other choice for food or supplies up here. We ended up driving the 45 minutes back down to Waimea every night for dinner.

One aspect that really stuck out was the spider webs. On the ceiling joists, down in the corners, and across small openings; they were there.

The real kicker: My wife hates spiders. Although we did not see the spiders themselves, since we were seeing plenty of their handywork, we knew they were there somewhere.

We wanted to be adventurous on our accommodation choices this trip, but I feel we may have dipped too low even for our liking. Hence, we were disappointed with our choice here. However, this feeling was complicated by the amount of rain we had, which severely limited our planned hikes.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Written November 20, 2006
Tip Photo

The office is also the gift shop and restaurant.

Sort by: Most recent | Most helpful