Aston Kauai Beach at Makaiwa

See Best VT Value Hotels

Tags

Kayaking Budget Travel Surfing
See Amenities

Bed bugs, terrible housekeeping, beyond rude staff

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 22, 2010

I arrived to my hotel room very late friday night. I walked into my room extremely tired and just wanted to sleep. The first thing I noticed was crusty white stains on the comforter of both queen beds. I just pulled the comforter off the bed I was to use, I then noticed hair on the blanket which grossed me out. It is no big deal I am tired and a few hairs stuck to laundry is nothing to complain about. I pulled my sheets back and took off my slippah's to get into bed and stepped on something sharp. I looked down and it was crinkled potato chips pushed under the bed. I got on my hands and knees to examine under the bed further. I moved the dust ruffle and to my surprise chips and dried lunch meat that looked alot like some kind of ham product. Oh so the cleaner did not check under the beds I can get over that since it is now almost 2:00 am.

I laid down in the really comfortable bed, nice fluffy pillows with the ac blasting and I really think I can finally rest. Just let the little stuff slide and do not let it ruin my night. I am immediately itchy. I can not sleep the rest of the night I just keep scratching my body. I am tossing and turning and ohh so itchy. What is going on I think and around 6:00 am I can not stand it any longer I turn on the lights and look at my body and I am covered in bites. My whole body has groups of bites and random ones everywhere, mostly on my legs. I now just want to take a shower and wash this gross feeling away. I walk into the bathroom and now I notice how dirty it is. There is hair everywhere on the counter, light s switch, floor, shower wall, tub, shower curtain, toilet, dark nasty black hair. In the threshold there is clumps of piled hair and a piece of a feminine product wrapper.

I can not shower in this bathroom I do not think it has even been cleaned. Now I think the room has not even been cleaned. Did I mention the itching is getting more intense. I hate to complain but I need to say something at this point. I call to the front desk and let them know the situation. The head of housekeeping comes to my room and I show her all the different things wrong in the room , which on their own are not a big deal but put together there is no excuse. I then show her my bug bites. She tells me I have been bitten by mosquito's and states there are no bed bugs in your room. I just ask her to be moved to a clean room so that I can shower and maybe get a little sleep before check out.

They move me to the room right next door to the one I was just in. I let them know how uncomfortable this makes me since it is so close the the room I was eaten alive in. They are very accommodating and move me to another floor. It is now 9:00 am and check out is at 12:00 pm. I think I can finally relax I walk into my room and right away notice a musty, moldy oder. I open the window and turn on the ac. I get my bathroom stuff ready and head into the bathroom. Is this a joke?????? This bathroom is dirtier than my first room. I call right away to the front desk and make them aware of the situation again. I am feeling terrible and I hate complaining but this experience keeps getting worse.

This time the head of housekeeping comes to my room with the manager. I point out the obvious flaws in the bathroom. They start correcting the problem and tell me to go sit out on the lanai. I tell them I just want to shower , go get itch cream and then sleep a little. I go to use the phone and it does not work. The manager and head housekeeper are hovering in my room watching as the bathroom gets clean. I go to get on the Internet to check my email while my room is invaded by way to many staff. The Internet does not work in my room. The cord is broken. I let the manager know and she says I will send someone up to fix it right away. Now a 4th person is in my room the maintenance man.

This room is really hot maybe because there are so many people in here. The manager lets me know they are going to give me $20.00 off my stay. I then say that is not enough since I have had zero sleep and no privacy and I am covered in bites. She then yells at me for not notifying them right away in the first room of what was going on. If I am getting yelled at for not notifying them until putting up with it for 6 1/2 hours what is going on. I am being made to feel as if this is my fault now and that is what they are telling me. I ask for a late check out and they say i can stay till 6:00 pm. Finally after the there are now exposed wires in the middle of my room for the Internet I am left alone.

My room is still really hot so I inform them that the ac does not work. The manager says she will send someone up right away to fix it. I let her know I would just like to leave and that I would like my money back. I still have not showered and I am really tired and itchy. It is now 11:00 am and I just want to find a hotel room where I can get some rest. They say I can not have my money back and $20.00 of is the best they can do. The room cost $92.00 plus taxes and a $12.00 resort fee. Now I am upset. They barge in my room with maintenance with their discounted bill. They are telling me I am being unreasonable. I tell them I want to speak to the general manager. They tell me someone will be in at 2:00pm to handle me since we can not come to an arrangement. I know have to wait 2 hrs to speak to someone.

I sit on my computer fuming while the guy fixes my ac. I decide to scrap the shower idea and just lay in bed. Both comforters this time have blood stains on them this is disgusting. I check under the beds and there is an umbrella and dead plumeria flowers. This room is not clean either. At 2:00 the new manager on duty informs me that I will have to leave the property at 4:00 pm and that they have been more than accommodating. I am very displeased at how I am being treated and want to speak to someone with more authority. I call the corporate office and leave a message. The new manager tells me my total and is trying to charge me for long distance calls I made to the corporate office. I refuse to pay for those phone calls because it was her lack of regard that was making my call the office. She finally says she will take that charge off my bill. How nice of her. I demand to speak to the GM and then the front desk stops taking my phone calls. I am now being ignored. I head to check out of the hotel where I pay my bill and then the head of sales comes down to met as well and the manager on duty. The head of sales is now interested in my story. I tell her I just want to leave to get some sleep. She insist I go with her to the closed restaurant to talk with her. I tell her what happened and I then get scolded by her as well for not calling the front desk right away with my problems.She also denied that there was ever a problem like I made the whole thing up. She also says she needs to take photos of my bug bites. I am in tears and just want to leave. I let her start to take pictures and then the police arrive to question me. I was calm, crying but , calm and the police are there why?? To escort me off their property. How embarrassing this was. I am now in tears and the police are there to make sure I leave!!!! I paid cash for the room deposit and I had to ask the officers to go back into the hotel and get me my change. I am surprised I got my deposit back. I did not get a receipt either but did not want the officer to go back and get me one.

Unique Quality: Looks good but far from good.

Nearby Aston Kauai Beach at Makaiwa

Aston Kauai Beach at Makaiwa

• Resortquest Kauai Beach Makaiwa
  • Waipouli Beach
  • Resort Quest Kauai
  • Aston Hotel Kapaa
  • Aston Resort Kapaa
  • Courtyard By Marriott Kauai At Coconut Beach Hotel Kapaa

Address: 650 Aleka Loop, (formerly ResortQuest Kauai Beach at Makaiwa), Kapaa, Hawaii, 96746, United States

3 Photos of Aston Kauai Beach at Makaiwa

• Suites
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Kapaa Travel Forum

Need advice about Kapaa, Hawaii (State of)? Visit the Travel Forum for Kapaa and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Kapaa hotel reviews