3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

650 Aleka Loop, (formerly ResortQuest Kauai Beach at Makaiwa), Kapaa, Hawaii, 96746, United States

Courtyard by Marriott Kauai at Coconut Beach
Booking.com Courtyard.com Tingo.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

• Bed bugs, terrible housekeeping, beyond rude staff

I arrived to my hotel room very late friday night. I walked into my room extremely tired and just wanted to sleep. The first thing I noticed was crusty white stains on the comforter of both queen beds. I just pulled the comforter off the bed I was to use, I then noticed hair on the blanket which grossed me out. It is no big deal I am tired and a few hairs stuck to laundry is nothing to complain about. I pulled my sheets back and took off my slippah's to get into bed and stepped on something sharp. I looked down and it was crinkled potato chips pushed under the bed. I got on my hands and knees to examine under the bed further. I moved the dust ruffle and to my surprise chips and dried lunch meat that looked alot like some kind of ham product. Oh so the cleaner did not check under the beds I can get over that since it is now almost 2:00 am.

I laid down in the really comfortable bed, nice fluffy pillows with the ac blasting and I really think I can finally rest. Just let the little stuff slide and do not let it ruin my night. I am immediately itchy. I can not sleep the rest of the night I just keep scratching my body. I am tossing and turning and ohh so itchy. What is going on I think and around 6:00 am I can not stand it any longer I turn on the lights and look at my body and I am covered in bites. My whole body has groups of bites and random ones everywhere, mostly on my legs. I now just want to take a shower and wash this gross feeling away. I walk into the bathroom and now I notice how dirty it is. There is hair everywhere on the counter, light s switch, floor, shower wall, tub, shower curtain, toilet, dark nasty black hair. In the threshold there is clumps of piled hair and a piece of a feminine product wrapper.

I can not shower in this bathroom I do not think it has even been cleaned. Now I think the room has not even been cleaned. Did I mention the itching is getting more intense. I hate to complain but I need to say something at this point. I call to the front desk and let them know the situation. The head of housekeeping comes to my room and I show her all the different things wrong in the room , which on their own are not a big deal but put together there is no excuse. I then show her my bug bites. She tells me I have been bitten by mosquito's and states there are no bed bugs in your room. I just ask her to be moved to a clean room so that I can shower and maybe get a little sleep before check out.

They move me to the room right next door to the one I was just in. I let them know how uncomfortable this makes me since it is so close the the room I was eaten alive in. They are very accommodating and move me to another floor. It is now 9:00 am and check out is at 12:00 pm. I think I can finally relax I walk into my room and right away notice a musty, moldy oder. I open the window and turn on the ac. I get my bathroom stuff ready and head into the bathroom. Is this a joke?????? This bathroom is dirtier than my first room. I call right away to the front desk and make them aware of the situation again. I am feeling terrible and I hate complaining but this experience keeps getting worse.

This time the head of housekeeping comes to my room with the manager. I point out the obvious flaws in the bathroom. They start correcting the problem and tell me to go sit out on the lanai. I tell them I just want to shower , go get itch cream and then sleep a little. I go to use the phone and it does not work. The manager and head housekeeper are hovering in my room watching as the bathroom gets clean. I go to get on the Internet to check my email while my room is invaded by way to many staff. The Internet does not work in my room. The cord is broken. I let the manager know and she says I will send someone up to fix it right away. Now a 4th person is in my room the maintenance man.

This room is really hot maybe because there are so many people in here. The manager lets me know they are going to give me $20.00 off my stay. I then say that is not enough since I have had zero sleep and no privacy and I am covered in bites. She then yells at me for not notifying them right away in the first room of what was going on. If I am getting yelled at for not notifying them until putting up with it for 6 1/2 hours what is going on. I am being made to feel as if this is my fault now and that is what they are telling me. I ask for a late check out and they say i can stay till 6:00 pm. Finally after the there are now exposed wires in the middle of my room for the Internet I am left alone.

My room is still really hot so I inform them that the ac does not work. The manager says she will send someone up right away to fix it. I let her know I would just like to leave and that I would like my money back. I still have not showered and I am really tired and itchy. It is now 11:00 am and I just want to find a hotel room where I can get some rest. They say I can not have my money back and $20.00 of is the best they can do. The room cost $92.00 plus taxes and a $12.00 resort fee. Now I am upset. They barge in my room with maintenance with their discounted bill. They are telling me I am being unreasonable. I tell them I want to speak to the general manager. They tell me someone will be in at 2:00pm to handle me since we can not come to an arrangement. I know have to wait 2 hrs to speak to someone.

I sit on my computer fuming while the guy fixes my ac. I decide to scrap the shower idea and just lay in bed. Both comforters this time have blood stains on them this is disgusting. I check under the beds and there is an umbrella and dead plumeria flowers. This room is not clean either. At 2:00 the new manager on duty informs me that I will have to leave the property at 4:00 pm and that they have been more than accommodating. I am very displeased at how I am being treated and want to speak to someone with more authority. I call the corporate office and leave a message. The new manager tells me my total and is trying to charge me for long distance calls I made to the corporate office. I refuse to pay for those phone calls because it was her lack of regard that was making my call the office. She finally says she will take that charge off my bill. How nice of her. I demand to speak to the GM and then the front desk stops taking my phone calls. I am now being ignored. I head to check out of the hotel where I pay my bill and then the head of sales comes down to met as well and the manager on duty. The head of sales is now interested in my story. I tell her I just want to leave to get some sleep. She insist I go with her to the closed restaurant to talk with her. I tell her what happened and I then get scolded by her as well for not calling the front desk right away with my problems.She also denied that there was ever a problem like I made the whole thing up. She also says she needs to take photos of my bug bites. I am in tears and just want to leave. I let her start to take pictures and then the police arrive to question me. I was calm, crying but , calm and the police are there why?? To escort me off their property. How embarrassing this was. I am now in tears and the police are there to make sure I leave!!!! I paid cash for the room deposit and I had to ask the officers to go back into the hotel and get me my change. I am surprised I got my deposit back. I did not get a receipt either but did not want the officer to go back and get me one.

Unique Quality: Looks good but far from good.

More about Aston Kauai Beach at Makaiwa

Had a great time in Kauai

Went to the Courtyard Kauai at Waipouli Beach Kapaa and it was still under construction. What was completed was beautiful and our room was really wonderful. We had a great time. Staff was so helpful and couldn't do enough for us. View outside our sliders of the ocean was great and when this hotel is completed it will be great. We would definitely go again. The location was perfect. Near all the shops and restaurants. Thanks for a great time in Kauai. Claire D. Merkle and Loretta Madaio

Fine budget hotel

by TripAdvisor Member gostl

This is a fine place if you are staying a day or two, just dropping onto Kauai. I wouldn't recommend it for longer stays. The pool is nothing more than you would get at any mainland hotel. Other than that, there is nothing that would draw me back other than everything was brand spanking new and therefore clean.

Downsides were that there was no hairdryer in the room (when was the last time you saw that at a mainstream hotel?) and pay for parking. Seriously, you have to rent a car on Kauai (basicially you have to) and it is not like there is a shortage of parking or it is on-street and therefore you are paying a premium to park in the hotel lot. I guess I cannot complain since the room was so cheap.

Overall, just fine, but I wouldn't make this my vacation spot.

Centrally located

by TripAdvisor Member lighthaus

The fact that it was centrally located on Kauai was excellent. The staff was helpful, particularly the valets, with directions, advice, whatever was needed. The hotel needs to get its marketing act together - they never voluntarily provided any information about their amenities - restaurant hours, gym, the luau (we knew about it only because we saw it occurring), unless you consider the large sign across the front of the entrance advertising the buffet breakfast for $16.95 sufficient. There was no usual guest's guide in the room. The rooms were fine (we spent little time there) and were kept very clean. We did find the breakfast bar where the makings for an excellent continental breakfast were available at a reasonable price. It would have been especially nice to have taken back to our room, had there been two chairs, rather than one, on our sliver of patio. The ocean view was lovely with a great walking path. On the plus is that you are near many restaurants, shops, and not very far to drive to anything you want to see.

Well done

We stayed here for our 20th wedding anniversary. We were quite pleased overall. The renovation seems squared away and clean. We had a.c. problems but the very next morn we were upgraded 2 levels with our new room. Their employees were very polite and helpful. The swimming pool and whirlpool were enough and well maintained for us. We knew beforehand this isn't a resort. The beach situation was nice and clean with plenty of beach chairs/benches. Great location. Didn,t care for $6 day park fee. Overall excellent stay.

Good value, Great location, & New renovations

by TripAdvisor Member Midwestcouple

The Courtyard Marriott is perfect for those on a budget (like us). Everything is clean and newly renovated, and the location is great. We went everywhere on Kaua'i from here easily. We loved the sunrises on the quiet beach, and the breakfasts (we're picky eaters, but we thought they had a great selection). The bathrooms are a little small, and the room is a little musty (what do you expect at the beach), but everything else is great for the price!

Okay stay, wouldn't stay there again.... Noisy fan

by TripAdvisor Member vanessairish

My husband and I revisited Kauai in November 2005 and stayed at this hotel. The location was quite good, we stayed near this location before and it's great to travel around going North or South, supermarkets, shops etc...

My problem with the hotel was the noise. I am a light sleeper and every morning at 5am the extractor fan in the bathroom turned on until 10am. It woke us up even with the bathroom door closed and kept us awake for most mornings. After two mornings of it waking us we asked reception to look into it and to see if it could be adjusted. (Who wakes up at 5am on holiday??) I was told it was on a timer for the WHOLE hotel and could not be changed. They offered to change us to another room but we were told the problem would be the same. I couldn't be bothered to argue on vacation so we dealt with it.

We requested an ocean view, which we technically had but we were not looking out directly to the ocean. The room is perpendicular to the horizon and the view is more of a diagonal. The balcony was quite small and we felt a little conned with what we paid for our "sea view".

The jacuzzi and pool were lovely and the restaurant was quite nice when we didn't feel like driving somewhere.

If we were to go again, I would look into staying somewhere that you have control over the bathroom fan (cheapskates, put a switch in)

Great hotel & location

We stayed here for a week over the christmas holidays. The hotel has had a recent refurbishment of the rooms and public areas.
The pool area is nice, however the whirl pool is quite small and was always crowded with people, but that is the only small problem we had.
Rooms are immaculate and cleaned well, the bathroom is a little on the small side though.
We only ate in the restaurant once but the food was good with good service. Theres some good restaurants within walking distance (Coconuts and Lemongrass are recommended), the luaui (not sure how to spell this!) in the grounds of the hotel is unmissable.
Overall a very good experience.

Great value

by TripAdvisor Member philfna

One of the best value priced hotels on the island I feel. The fan is noisy, but the rooms are very nice, and the beds are okay (even when they are new.) They look nice with all new indonesian prints, and great rugs. They are great rooms even if noisy fans in the bathrooms. A true value.

Would def stay again

by TripAdvisor Member Jcooper707

First off I read all the reviews from this site and was still hesitant about this hotel...when you spend that much money for a vacation you want to know you will be happy with yor hotel even if you dont plan to be there much. My boyfriend and I arrived on a Monday night and have to say we were pleasantly surpirsed by how vacant the hotel seemed to be (althought by the weekend it was much busier). The staff was extremely polite but did inform us that if we were to rent a car (which we did) we would have to pay $7 a night to park it ourselves in their lot (we were prepared for this having read the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook and avoided the charges by simply keeping quiet). The hotel is gorgeous, honestly the pictures dont do it justice. The building is in good condition, beautiful grounds, clean beach area (although it was too rough to swim as some had said, but you could walk to close spots where swimming was better), the pool/hot tub were clean and well maintained daily, the outdoor bar was nice for relaxing with a drink and pool or ocean view. The room was renovated as shown, but with nice touches you cant see in the photos. Theres a entertainment center with mini-fridge, desk, an oversized sofa chair, my favorite was the doors to the lanai, they are wooden louvered doors you can leave open for the breeze and fresh air or shut for privacy. The lanai was small but big enough for 2 to sit out there had there been 2 chairs. They have different vendors in the hotel each day peddaling various things from jewelry to artwork, I found it hard not to stop and look---but easy not to buy with their overpriced items. My only complaint of the the hotel was the following...Food: the food at the restaurant was bad. In all fairness to the Marriott, the food at other hotels was bad as well, but out of 1 breakfast and 3 dinners there, we only had one good meal, and that was mahi mahi for dinner the first night. Breakfast was nothing special for what it ended up costing (about $40/2 people) and dinners were anywhere from $60 to $80/2 depending on what you ate and if you drank. I would reccomend if you do eat there to stay away from expensive choices like filet or crab legs (gristle and freezer burned), and dont get suckered into the all you can eat prime rib buffet, we paid $80/2 and I barely managed to fill one plate cuz all they had was some lunch meat and sushi and a bunch of mis matched dishes I dont eat. We ended up sadly eating at framiliar places like Pizza Hut & McDonalds after being disappointed consistently. The view and ambiance are nice as it overlooks the ocean. As reported there are roosters and chickens all over Kauai, however they ended up this way, I think its part of Kauais charm and we didnt find them annoying in the least. The hotel is located in a good spot with lots to do and see nearby. Overall we were happy with the hotel, grounds, beach and the room. Not only would we happily stay again, we have and will continue to reccomend and rave about it. For what we would have paid for a 4-5 star (and we did go look at them while we were there...they were nice, but Im not sure if they were $1500/week nicer) Im happy we stayed here and saved a little money to do other things.

Comments