420 Papaloa Road, Kapaa, Hawaii, 96746, United States

Orbitz.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 2 star hotels

• SFHulaGIrl's Profile Photo

Kauai Sands Hotel

Service was fine, though sometimes a little slow.

Unique Quality: My room was large, had a TV, telephone, and a lanai. The hotel has a nice pool area, as well as fronts a beautiful beach. For the shoppers among you, it's located right next to the Coconut Marketplace Shopping Center.

More about Kauai Sands Hotel

Comfort

by aileronguy about Kauai Sands Hotel

Many hotels/resorts do not have air conditioning. This can cause sticky days and actually pretty chilly nights - check before you reserve!

We were able to find a hotel with air conditioning, and it was a small window unit, which took hours to cool off / dehumidify our room. Overall, though, it was pretty good for the special rate we paid. Great beach!

Looks downscale, but is very clean, in good repair, and VERY friendly!

We stayed at the Waikiki...

by Luis_Alberto

We stayed at the Waikiki Gateway Hotel, a few blocks from Waikiki beach. This hotel was in Honolulu, Oahu. In the island of Kauai, we stayed at the Kauai Sands Hotel.
The price of the seven nights accomodations on these hotels, was included on the price of the tour, I bought, therefore, I do not know, what the actual price of the rooms in each hotel really was. These hotels, were very comfortable, although they were not five or even four star hotels, they had swimming pools, color TV, nice clean bathrooms, nice.

Nice, cheap, clean place

by acrijk about Kauai Sands Hotel

We were due to arrive the day before we could check into our condo. We arrived 2+ hours late (AA doesn't know why we fly, we fly to get there on time) We were afraid we had missed checkin, but the lady was at the desk and very friendly. We got into our somewhat large room at midnight.
This is an adequate place to stay, clean and in a decent location. We could have stayed there a week and had no problem.
We need a room our last night there and went with the Kauai Sands again. The lady at the front desk even remembered my name from the week before! Directly on the beach, in a good center point equal to the north or west parts of the island. One of the few locally-owned hotels on the island!

Nice, cheap, clean place

by acrijk about Kauai Sands Hotel

Affordable Hawaiian owned hotel

by 2rs about Kauai Sands Hotel

If you want to spend your time and money on activities arround the island Kauia Sands may be the ideal place to stay. Located aprox in the middle between Waimea and Hanalei makes it a good starting point for trips south/west and north. The Coconut Market Place is located right by its side with restaurants and shops.
The hotel is located right by the beach (no lifeguards) so you don't have to go far to catch the sunrise or a morning swim. The rooms are modest and clean, but some are located towards the parking wich may cause some disturbance.
If you have expectations for a high standard resort style Hawaiian holiday then this is not the place, but it's a nice place with pools and a nice beach where you can spend the day if you don't feel for daytrips.

The Hotel is Hawaiian owned so your money stays in the islands.

Affordable on the beach

by stretke about Kauai Sands

Less than $100 a night for a decent room next to the beach, the only negative was several roaches in the room. The hotel restaurant, "Al and Dons," serves delicious macadamia nut and banana pancakes with coconut syrup. Small pool and a nice beach with great views.

Budget-Friendly And a Great Place to Start

by anticarley about Kauai Sands Hotel

I started out my trip to Kauai at this hotel, and I absolutely recommend it. The beach is right outside the hotel grounds and is in perfect position to welcome the morning sunrise. The hotel n a great place not only because of the secluded and quiet beach, but also because it is right next to The Coconut Marketplace, a open air mall with about 70 or so shops, a movie theater, and eateries. Located in the hotel is Al and Dons Restaurant. Although its open strange hours that I would constantly forget, the dining is exquisite not only because of the value and taste, but also because its situated practically on top of the shore. The hotel staff was excellent, they helped us to their best ability whenever we had a question, and I even made a friend. The hotel rooms I stayed in included 2 double beds, a television, a/c, a fridge, and a porch although I'm sure there are other options available. As if you are going to spend much time in your hotel anyway when there are such amazing sights to see!
Room amenities include:
a/c fridge tv phone balcony/terrace coffeemaker microwave
daily maid service smoke alarms

The hotel also offers a laundry room, 2 pools, fax machine, wheelchair accessibility, photocopier, gift shop, well lit parking lot, coded lock gate, and security guards. The best part about the hotel was the friendliness I received from the staff. Also the grounds were absolutely beautiful and as natural as possible. But seriously, the best part about the hotel was the beach.
Tip: When you walk onto the beach, take a hike down away from the mountains (or take a left). After a little ways, you'll see a huge tree trunk laying down with a cute tree almost draping over it. I really enjoyed sitting on the tree trunk and letting he waves crash against it and splash me. Be careful on it though, its slightly slippery.

There are plenty of animals living around the hotel. There are cute little sand crabs on the beach, and cute little birds that I called pidgickens, because to me they resembled a pidgin in their shape and coloring, but they were a bit larger, and had the feet of chickens. I thought it was funny how they weren't afraid to be at your feet begging for food if you happened to be eating on the balcony, but please do not feed them. There are signs posted throughout the hotel asking that you don't. I guess some people would find it a nuisance, but they were nothing like seagulls, they just quietly sat waiting for you to drop a crumb.

glad we stayed next door

We almost stayed here. Checked up on reviews of this hotel, photos, and compared that with the hotel next door, the Aston Islander on the Beach. For an extra $100 or so, for the two of us for the week, we stayed at the IOB. Boy were we glad. We are up for a good deal, but the Kauai Sands looked a bit rough. Little to no privacy on each room's lanais. Plus, it's apparently a favorite of large tour groups - hence the running engines of large busses at 7 a.m. about to depart. Then when they do, it's the charming quaint beeping as the busses back up the whole length of the resort to the highway. Just a little FYI. We were completely happy at the IOB. And if you stay at either resort and are looking for great food at the Coconut Marketplace, you must check out Barefoot Cafe - EXCELLENT.

Great Kitchenette!

by TripAdvisor Member bwolmarans

Got a package deal with Suntrips for $1580 including rental car and kitchenette room at Kauai Sands Sept 10-17. Sands is great value for money, we are not "resort" type people. Beautiful beach (esp. for sunrise) but not swimable during our stay due to large waves/strong current/no lifeguards, but I surfed out there (I'm an experienced surfer) and my wife got in a quick dip before we headed back to the pool. The breakfast pancakes are not to be missed. If you can get the Makua building it would be the quietest, we were in the building right next to pkg lot, garbage cans etc but with earplugs had a restful nights sleep every night. I am a v. light sleeper and can't stand having people walking around upstairs (creeking floorboards, anyone?) so we got an upstairs room, but it seemed (not confirmed) that the floor between the 1st and 2nd floor was concrete. Anyway we highly recommend it! Remember to ask to for a non-smoking room if you need it.

Kauai Sands pool and garden.Kauai Sands pool and garden.

First time in Hawaii, going to Kauai in May 2005

by laura1965

Hi,I am new here. I must say though I am so glad I found this so much information. My husband and I are going to Kauai for 8 days in the begging of May. We are going to Kauai with a package deal of airlines and hotel. We are going to stay at the Kauai Sands Hotel, has anyone stayed there? We know its not anything fancy, and thats what we wanted. We just wanted some place clean and comfortable. Also, we chose Kauai because we heard its the most beautiful and not as touristy, and that is what we wanted. If someone can give us some ideas of restrants that would be very helpful. Also, the how will the weather be the first part of May and I am not sure what kind of clothes we should pack. Thank you in advance for any help you can give....I am counting the days and hours until we are in Hawaii... Laura :)

RE: RE: First time in Hawaii, going to Kauai in May 2005

by laura1965

Hi Poi,

Thank you so much for all your information. I am glad at least that kauai sands is at least an ok place, I know its not anything fancy, and really that is fine with us. Thanks for the information on the restraunts and different places near by. We are very excited and can hardly wait.

Laura :)

RE: RE: First time in Hawaii, going to Kauai in May 2005

by travelgourmet

Aloha, Your hotel is right in the middle of places of interest. Good Location. If it rains on one side of the Island, you can drive to the other side and it could be dry. Princeville, to the North, gets more rain than your area and Poipu, to the south, is even dryer. The Coconut Market Place Shopping Center has many tourist style shops and restaurants. Nearby, in Kapaa, is the best hamburger in Kauai at Bubba's Burger. Also in Kapaa is a little a more upscale restaurant called Buzz's Steak & Lobster. They have a great salad bar. Have fun and relax in the tropical breeze. Aloha oe.

RE: First time in Hawaii, going to Kauai in May 2005

by Neesie

Hi Laura! My husband and I are also going to Kauai, but not until January. We're staying at a condo for a week and then plan on spending a few days at an inexpensive place. I have read good reviews about the Kauai Sands Hotel, clean, comfortable, beach access and several people mentioned the nearby shopping center. Please do me a favor and post back on this thread after you return and let us know if you thought it was a good value. Or feel free to e-mail me directly. HAVE A GREAT TIME IN HAWAII!

RE: First time in Hawaii, going to Kauai in May 2005

by kauaitubes

Most of the info you have been given is correct.
as for restaurants,
Coconuts in Kapaa, Mermaids in Kapaa, Scotty's barbecue in Kapaa(favorite, tell them chris v sent you)
Roys in Poipu, The beach house in Poipu, Keokis in Poipu, Tidepools at the Hyatt in Poipu
Postcards in Hanalei, Sabellas in Hanalei
Java Kai Coffee is a MUST, stay away from STARYUCKS
Enjoy your trip too our island paradise, and when you are ready visit:

Comments