3838 Wyllie Road, Princeville, Hawaii, 96722, United States

Costs 27% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas

Westin Princeville Villas

by TripAdvisor Member deenabrown

Wow what a place, I am real glad I had the opportunity to stay at this resort, the rooms are as they say Heavenly!!!!!! Our Ajoining bathroom (Jacuzzi Suite ) was awesome you could be in the tub and also have the shutters open for the view its cool! Has a complete kitchen with all your needs ( dishes, coffee pot, silverwear, etc.....Reg size fridge, living area and kitchen is granite oh yea ..... cant say enough about the Resort Staff Many Mahalos to them...Also As a must eat at the restaraunt on site for dinner wow melt in your mouth food....well I am looking forward to going back.....Aloha and enjoy your trip!

Deena Brown

LOVED the Westin Princeville Ocean Resort

by TripAdvisor Member janis7897

My husband and I checked in June 6, 2008. I had called ahead of time and requested an ocean view room and I was told that they really didn't have "ocean view" rooms. When we checked in we were told again that they didn't really have "ocean view" rooms. It was 3:00 pm and we were told that our room wasn't ready so we headed down to the restaurant to have some lunch since we had been travelling since 11:00 am. The food at the restaurant was fantastic. At 4:00 pm we were told our room was ready so we picked up our key and headed to our room. WOW!!! We were given a room on the end of Bldg. #6 and we had a view of the ocean out front and a view of the golf course to the left. Since we were in an end unit we had 2 windows in the bedroom and a window in the bathroom. We were on the first floor so the pool and hot tub were around the corner and the gas grills were a short walk away. Yes, there was still construction going on but they are supposed to be finished by August 1st. The Princeville Hotel is a 10 min. drive (2.5 miles) away and you can use all the amenitites at the hotel (beach/pool/ gym). We used it as an opportunity to exercise everyday and get in a 5 mile walk. They had chilled fruit and water in the exercise room so we walked over to the hotel and grabbed a piece of fruit and water for the walk back. The Princeville Hotel will be closing on Sept. 1, 2008 for a complete rennovation and will re-open in 10 months as a St. Regis. Everyone at the Westin Princeville Ocean Resort was very helpful and responded to our requests immediately. NeNe came to visit us everyday on our lanai. Just before you drive onto the Westin property to the right there is parking and a path down to a beach.

We went horseback riding at the Princeville Stables, a snorkel - Na Pali coast tour with Capt. Bob, and did a helicopter tour of the Na Pali coast with Blue Hawaiian. We had dinner at the Princeville Hotel 2 times, CJ's, Hanalei Dolphin and Saffron. All of the restaurants were good but we liked the Hanalei Dolphin the best.

The area around Princeville, Hanalei and Kilauea are beautiful. We loved this area of the island the best.

I would go back to Princeville and I would stay at the Westin Ocean Resort again.

Prince Bill's located atop the...

by Luis_Alberto

Prince Bill's located atop the Surf Tower at The Westin Kauai Hotel, is a great place to enjoy Sunday Brunch while gazing out at Nawiliwili Bay and the coastal mountains. Brunch buffet Sundays from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Great views, since it is probably one of the highest buildings in the island of Kauai. Great service at a very reasonable price. The wonderful buffet they served includes wine and champagne, everything on the table was very good, to go here, you need to have a good appetite.

Great property but still a work in progress

by TripAdvisor Member bluesboy72

Two of us stayed at the Westin Princeville May 23 - 30 and, overall, had a very good experience. There were a few problems worth mentioning. The shower drain did not work and the water backed up when I went to take a shower the first night. The problem was fixed immediately and to my satisfaction. Each of the first three days, the AC went out in the room. The maintenance staff reset it each time but the problem never got fixed. So, we ended up moving to another room and had no problems for the rest of the week. It was a bit of a hassle but I chalked it up to the opening of the resort and that we were the first to occupy the room. The management team fixed the issue to our satisfaction each time and also gave us some nice bonus points upon check out. I was very happy with that. Otherwise, the rooms were extremely comfortable and nicely decorated, the service was great, and the rest of the property was absolutely beautiful (true to the Westin brand). All in all, I would highly recommend staying here. Great location, great service, and great property!

very dissappointing

by TripAdvisor Member ZZWanderlust

They definately do not have their act together yet at this hotel. It's as if there is no manager. If you want an ocean view or mountain view, this is not the place for you. Room is small and dark, with pretty useless kitchen except for fridge. The rooms could be nice, but the floors, oven, bathtub, and who know what else were filthy on arrival and had obviously not been cleaned from the prior guests. The elevator was broken during our entire weeklong stay. In our room, the sliding door to the balcony did not latch. Doesn't matter because the maids left the door to our room wide open! The hotel does not even provide daily maid service, only linen service. And they don't replace simple toiletry items (such as bar soap) even after specifically requested. We did report everything to the hotel staff. Nothing was addressed except that they did replace the broken TV.
I have stayed at two Outrigger resorts in Hawaii and had wonderful experiences. I would not try the Westin again.

Dissapointing: Much better options on the isand.

by TripAdvisor Member spize333

This will be a nice and relaxed place with adequate facilities once it is done, but it will NEVER be anywhere near the level of the Hyatt or Princeville resort. Think of the Westin as an apartment with a shared pool area. It does not have the feel of a hotel resort, and I think it is a stretch to refer to the property as a resort. The smaller pools and grounds, lack of multiple restaurants, lack of activities, lack of direct beach access, etc. is something this property will never be able to overcome.

CONSTRUCTION WARNING: Construction is nowhere near done, plain and simple. Most of the “residential” buildings are finished, but two are not. There is construction equipment and supplies strewn about the property, along with red mud. The two story parking garage is full of construction supplies. Landscaping is torn up all over the place and is still in process in many other places. Minor construction and repairs are also ongoing in the “finished” “residential” buildings. I also witnessed several completed areas of the resort being torn apart presumably due to construction errors or defects. They shut down the main pool area several times during my stay to work on landscaping and other pool related construction. They put up signs that said “Renewal in Progress.” Renewal on a month old resort? Be aware that this resort will not be completely done for AT LEAST 6-8 MONTHS. Do not let anybody tell you anything otherwise. The landscaping will probably not be nice for well over a year. They are using seed for grass and not sod, so most of the grassy areas are pretty muddy. The construction workers also have major attitudes and will surely scare, push or stab you or your small children if you don’t get out of their way. As a guest of the resort, it is your responsibility to structure your day around the construction workers schedules.

POOLS: The main pool area is nice with a double level heated pool and plenty of chairs. There are covered cabana things near the pool that you presumably have to pay to rent for the day. I don’t know how much they are. There is a bar near the pool but no swim up bar. There was always a large amount of empty glasses around the pool – they really need to work on keeping the area more clean. There is also a koi fish pond near the main pool where they have feedings every morning. There is one moderately sized whirlpool next to the main pool area. Next to the main pool is a smaller children’s pool with turtle fountains and a small slide.

There are two smaller auxiliary pools on the outer edges of the resort. One of them has a bar nearby and the other one does not. The bar was not open either way. Each of the small pool areas also has its own whirpool (3 whirpools total for the whole resort).

GYM: The gym is small but should have everything you need, and there is a steam room and sauna.

NANEA: (the only restaurant): This restaurant needs a lot of work. Service is just OK and food is just OK. Atmosphere is also just OK assuming you manage to eat there when there is no construction. They either need to step it up or lower the prices. There is a daily breakfast buffet for $20, but for a few $ more you can go down the road to the Princeville hotel and have breakfast at Café Hanalei (while it’s still open). There’s also a major fly issue when eating outside at Nanea. This is something that I did not experience anywhere else on the island.

SUNDRY SHOP: This little store has premade salads and sandwiches for about $9-12 each, as well as small breakfast items, fruits, wine, beer, cereal, small toiletries and marinated meats. The meats were about $12-$20 per piece depending on what it is. There are 16 gas grills around the property and pool areas. I have mixed opinions on the sundry store since you can drive less than 2 minutes to the Foodland store in Princeville and find a much wider selection and probably slightly cheaper prices.

CONCIERGE: Didn’t use any of these services, but they constantly hounded me to come and see them. I would imagine they receive a nice kickback

FRONT DESK: It took 5 people and 40 minutes to check me into my room. They need lots of training, and the front desk people were the least friendly of all the staff at the resort. At first they didn’t know how to add a credit card to my account, and then my original room wasn’t ready (at 9 pm), so they had to find me a different room.

BELL SERVICE: Very quick and friendly, no issues.

PARKING: Self-parking is free and valet parking is $7 per day. There will be a parking garage once the resort is done. Until then, you will have to navigate a sea of construction workers, equipment and portable toilets to get to a parking space.

HOUSEKEEPING: There is no daily housekeeping. On a 7 night stay, you will get new towels, trash emptied and bed made on the 3rd of 4th day. You can pay $25 per day if you want daily cleaning and towels.

INTERNET: There is wifi throughout the resort and also wired internet in the rooms. This is all free.

STUDIO VILLA: I stayed in a studio, so I can only comment on the studio accommodations. The rooms are new and modern but lack character. My room had a large LCD widescreen TV with satellite. The TV was HD, but I didn’t see any actual HD channels available. There was also a Bose Waveradio with CD player, and a separate alarm clock next to the bed. The beds are standard Westin beds and are very comfortable. The studio also had a couch with coffee table, and a small table with chairs for your computer or whatever else. The main dresser has four small drawers for your clothes, which I found to be far too little storage space for clothing, especially for 2 or more peope.

The kitchen is fully stocked with everything you will need, but there is virtually zero counter space, so cooking anything significant will be difficult. There are two stove burners and no real oven. There is a microwave/oven all in one type of a machine. The refrigerator has a freezer and an ice maker. There is a toaster, blender, dishwasher and coffee machine.

The bathroom is nice and spacious with a very good shower. The shower has double heads that you can adjust in various ways, and the water pressure and temperature was great. The toilet is in a separate room, but you might not be able to close the sliding door due to shoddy craftsmanship. You will also have this issue with the main bathroom door, which is also a hidden sliding door. There is also a large whirlpool tub with shutters that open up to the bed area. You will find that the sink area of the bathroom lacks any sort of counter space, shelves or any other places to put all your stuff. The bathroom gets very crowded and unorganized in that regard.

The closet is decent sized, but only has 8 hangers, and it’s hard to store your luggage in their since it is loaded up with cleaning supplies (since you have to clean your own room, remember?) The closet also has an electronic safe inside.

Another gripe is that the only two trashcans are in the closet and the toilet room. If you need to throw something away from the kitchen, you can put it in the closet or the bathroom. Great idea, eh?

The patio has two chairs and a small table. It is slightly cramped, but works fine.

The A/C works marvelously, but some might not like that fact that the vent blows directly onto your face at 200 MPH while you are trying to sleep.

The washer and dryer are smaller and they are the stacked type. My washer only worked on warm water. On cold water, it would make a loud buzzing sound which surely pissed off my neighbors. This brings us to another issue – the WALLS AT THIS RESORT ARE PAPER THIN. LET ME REPEAT – THE WALLS ARE PAPER THIN.

Yes folks, the walls are paper thin. You will receive a ton of noise from your neighbor’s villa. This is largely due to the two way doors that can be opened up between two villas. Any and every little noise from your neighbors travels through these doors. My neighbors liked the play dominos, wash clothes every night, listen to Hawaiian music on their booming Bose radio, and the man had a severe snoring issue. You will also have the pleasure of smelling everything that your neighbor cooks. You might as well knock on your neighbor’s door, introduce yourself, and crack open the shared door to create a “super villa.”

BEACH ACCESS: The entire “resort” is surrounded by a small vinyl white fence. Nowhere in these boundaries could I find any trail to any beach. You are better off hoping in your car and driving for 5 minutes even if there is some magical beach trail that I missed:

VIEWS: About 20% of the units will have “pretty good” ocean views, another 35% will have some kind of partial ocean view, 30% of the units will have a good or partial pool view, and about 15% of the units will have a view of absolutely nothing.

SUMMARY: I had my week at the Westin given to me by a family member, so I didn’t pay anything for it. Had I paid $300-$400 per night, I would be quite upset. The quality and amenities of the resort does not justify the prices they are charging and intend to charge when it is entirely done. This is a $250 per night hotel, MAX for a studio. Even when it is totally done, the property will come nowhere near the level of the Hyatt or Princeville (both with nice beach access), which can often be had for under $400. I noticed some 3 bedroom villas in the Princeville area renting for $150-$175 per night. The only difference is that you won’t have a pool. How much is a mediocre pool worth to you? Bottom line is that I would never choose this property over some of the other resorts on the island unless they DRASTICALLY reduce the pricing. I will probably not stay at another Westin no matter the location due to the extremely unimpressive experience at this place.

Nice hotel on the beautiful North Shore of Kauai

by TripAdvisor Member tennisbuff

Very nice, new property. Stayed in a one-bedroom villa with all the amenities including washer and dryer. The microwave was way too high over the stove top and hard to reach. Loved the two LCD units. Pools and jacuzzis were great. In-room jacuzzi a plus too. Self-parking very convenient. No room service. One restaurant on-site with good food and service. Location very convenient to North Shore activities. Don't listen to what the front desk tells you----there is access to beachfront. You don't have to go to the Princeville Hotel. Access not from the hotel itself, but is right before you get to the main entrance and there's even a small public parking area at the access point. It's a nice trail/hike down to the beach. No on-site activities there....but if you want a small hike to see the water...that's the ticket!

Would NEVER go back

by TripAdvisor Member hbjessica

This is a new property and they still need to work out some kinks. The staff was great and the kitchens in the rooms were nice, but the hotel amenities were a major disappointment as was the overall design of the property. There was no beach access and very limited views of the ocean. They say they have access to the spa and beach at the Princeville resort which is ten minutes away, which you have to get in your car and drive to and it is a pain. Surprisingly, the electrical and lights are poorly designed. In the rooms, there are so many switches in odd places and you can't find which switch goes to which light. And when you look up at the main building from the pool at night it looks like a commercial building with the framed fluorescent lighting. It such a shame since the pool is beautiful and well lit with torches. The gym overlooks the ocean, but they slapped the limited equipment in there with no design element and it is dingy and gross. They have no spa services on property nor do they offer massage by the pool or the ability to have massage in your room. They did not have playing cards or backgammon or other games available for guests and they don't even have pay per view available in the rooms. This property was better for families and people who like to barbecue, but if you like the relax and used to a 4 or 5 star property this is NOT it.

A great experience

by TripAdvisor Member greenirish

My husband and I just got back from a 10 day stay at the Kauai Westin resort. We had the best time. Some of the construction issues brought up have merit but for the most part it had little to no impact on us. We felt like we got a great rate to stay at a top level hotel. Phylis at the front desk made our stay there! She was helpful and welcoming. They should hang onto her! As of June 10 all the pools and public areas are open and finished. 2 of the buildings at the front of the property are stll being worked on. The timeshare thing was not a problem. We never answered the invitation to come and get a free welcoming gift and so never got a timeshare pitch. What a beautiful place. And the pool was warm, an important thing to me. Great food at the restaurant, great amentities in the room. The washer and dryer were very convient. All-in-all, an experience we hope to repeat!

2 week stay at The Westin

by TripAdvisor Member sumocat

Check in was very smooth. We arrived early and they still had our room ready. They were very nice at the front. The staff around the pool area where you get your towels were really nice. The exercise room is very good. Free weight dumbells up to 50lbs. Chest, shoulder, lat pulldown, let ext and leg curls machines, and bike, treadmills etc. There is a nice trail down to Anini beach. This trail goes through a mango grove or forest. There are mangos all over the place and when the breeze blows, watch out because mangos were dropping all around us. Picked up the ripest and ate them.The Opportunity Areas for The Westin;
The only odd or negative thing had to do with their daily housekeeping. It was probably the worst quality I have ever seen at any hotel, motel 6 of any location. And it was consistent during our entire stay. I did find out later that the entire housekeeping group is from outsourced folks flown in and they are housed. That explained much. For example. Every day, they would not replace/replenish coffee, if they were nearby when we were in the room, I would ask them. They usually had only decaf and they would say that is all they had! If I called their service desk, they would immediately respond by bringing it up to us. Towels were not picked up or replaced. My wife always insists on making the bed before we leave. well, when we returned, they made the bed again but it looked worse than when my wife made it! Shampoos and lotions would not be replenished. Once, when I was walking by the pool, several of the housekeeper were walking closely behind me and talking the entire time about how awful their supervisors were and how such and such guest trashed their rooms. So overall the place is fine, no real construction issues and the housekeeping issues are not showstoppers, just very odd

Comments