Kuhio Shores Condos

5050 Lawai Beach Road, Poipu, Hawaii, 96756, United States

More about Kuhio Shores Condos

Kuhio Shores condo, Poipu, Kauai, Hawaii

by TripAdvisor Member PHO2GR4

We stayed at the Kuhio Shores condo building in Kauai from May 17th - 22nd, 2005. It is a lovely, clean place. We liked the oceanfront position. We heard the waves 24/7, and saw dozens of sea turtles right outside our window. There was a huge, well-supplied kitchen. The king-sized bed was comfy, the shower had plenty of water pressure, the beach was right outside, there was ample free parking...I just can't say enough.

I hope to return. That's the best thing one can say in a review like this, I guess!

Jewel on the Sea #305

by TripAdvisor Member POster28

My husband and I spent a week at Kuhio Shores #305 the week of 2/2-2/9. From the moment we stepped in the door we knew we were in for a treat. The sound of the waves lulled us to sleep every night and greeted us in the morning. Wonderful sunrise views from the lanai.

The condo is furnished very well. We enjoyed the kitchenette. It was nice to have a small stove. We were able to cook some meals. The bed was very comfy too.

The owners were great people to work with. Molla was quick to reply to any questions I had. The little extras we recieved were very nice. A nice gift basket upon arrival and use of snorkel gear, boogie boards, cooler, etc. We had a wonderful time and hope to be back soon! Kuhio Shores overall is very clean, quiet and safe. We were very pleased with our stay.

Home, sweet home, away from home

by TripAdvisor Member PamRick

My husband and I spent 5 days in unit 216 at the Kuhio Shores from March 7-12. Our experience there was nothing but positive. Each time we returned from our day of exploring Kauai, we felt like we were returning home. Our unit was fully supplied with many things that one would use during an island vacation such as a cooler, straw mats and beach towels. The view of the ocean from our window was super, since we are prairie people. We enjoyed the surfers, and saw turtles and whales. Our unit had an air conditioner in the bedroom, but we only used it the 1st night- after that, opening the windows allowed the place to cool effectively. The bed was large and comfy. This place is not a fancy resort with pools, bars, and nightclubs. It was perfect for us- clean and homey. We had no complaints.

Loved it!

We have stayed at Kuhio Shores many times. It is comfortable, close to everything, quiet and has the MOST beautiful view you can have. You can sleep to sound of ocean waves every night. We have seen dolphin, turtles and whales right from our lanai while we were drinking our morning coffee. There are two beaches within walking distance so you can swim and snorkel almost any time. The owners we have rented from have all been very helpful. A wonderful place for everyone. We have taken our grandchildren who probably love it more than we do - if possible. Can't go wrong renting here.

Beautiful Honeymoon

by TripAdvisor Member nicanry

My husband and I stayed in unit #109 from May 9-16 for our honeymoon and couldn't have asked for more! The condo was small, but comfortable and the view was great. We loved watching the turtles and even had the pleasure of watching a surf contest right outside! We loved being on the ground floor because we could just walk right out the unit and put our beach chairs in the sun. We highly recommend these condos especially beacuse there is a full kitchen in every unit, we made our own breakfast every morning and even packed our own lunch to take to the beach a couple of days. We had an amazing honeymoon and would go back only if we could stay in Kuhio Shores!

Ocean Waves All Night

by TripAdvisor Member whitespruce

We were on the third floor with a view of the lagoon. The sounds of the ocean were wonderful and yes, there were lots of sea turtles, usually in the morning. You can snorkle among them and the many fish, just a little tricky getting by the rocks. The room was newly remodeled and had everything that we needed.

We especially liked having our evening drink at the Beach House next door. Great sunsets and wonderful salads (asperagus & watermelon lettuce). Dinners were very good, as well.

This is such a great location for the island. We liked wave jumping on the beach past the Sheraton (by the Plantation Cottages).

Enjoy.

Wonderful View!

by TripAdvisor Member FairwayFound

My wife and I stayed in #217 for our honeymoon. The views off the lanai were incredible. I will long remember sipping on a glass of wine watching the sun paint the clouds a color akin to passion fruit. The location was great, a beach next door, along with the best restaurant on the island. The condo was well equiped and quite comfortable. Clearly the owner has shown some pride in the unit.

Great location, great price, great view, great vacation!

by TripAdvisor Member CaliGirl4Ever

We stayed for a week in Unit #305 and rented directly from the owners. I was nervous about renting directly from the owners, but Molla was very helpful all throughout the process. She has the condo listed on several websites which you can find through a Yahoo! search.

The condo was clean, no bugs in the kitchen which is a huge deal for me. The pullout sofa was good for our daughter and we really enjoyed having some privacy. The location is great as it is right on the water where you can enjoy the beautiful sunrise in the morning while you eat your breakfast. The price was incredible for the location, and the complex is very well maintained. We didn't hear a peep out of anyone; in fact the only time I actually could hear other people is if I was standing right in front of their door!

I also loved the fact we didn't have to pay resort fees, parking, etc. that some of the fancy places charge. I would love to be able to afford the Marriott or Hyatt and have someone make my bed, but all in all, I'm sure we'll be back!

Good for the most part.

by TripAdvisor Member Rt66tbird

We love Kauai and the location of this building is exceptional. An enjoyable stay but the unit had a few negatives. We reserved through an agency and the handling was fine. I will not show the unit number as we own a few condos and know that they are hard to keep up with. That said, I will warn about being at the far west end of the building. The restaurant next door is great and the clientel is not at all unruly but there is a degree of noise from the restaurant that you might notice late evening.

The particular unit was nicely furnished. New stove and fridge but lacking in cooking utensils. The two bedrooms did not have much in the way of curtains. Tubs had no stoppers so only showers could be taken. No air conditioning. Normally this is not a problem in Hawaii but during our May stay there was an unusual warm spell. Even with all the windows and doors open the condo was too warm to be truly enjoyed.

The point of my review is to say that while this is a very special place to be do take care in questioning the owner or rental agency about the details regarding the individual unit.

Kauai and Ni

by Kaigoddess

"The forbidden Isle.."

Kauai..
This weekend, I spent chasing a dream by re-visiting Kauai, the oldest of the Hawaiian Islands. It is a gem, a brilliant little circle in an azure ocean. Its beaches are primative, pristine places..The emerald forests of its jewelled interior... lush and dramatic. It is kissed by waterfalls cascading through the canyon that cuts into the heart of the Island to reveal the wettest sopt on earth, that of Mount Waialeale at 5,080ft it majestically rules the land below.
I flew into Newili'wili Bay at Lihue, the captial, early friday morning.. It was sleepy and peaceful..just as it had always been. The porters at the airport quietly chatted about their weekend and tipped their hats as I passed and smiled gently. I was back on Kauai and eager to see the changein the Aina (land) since last I had visited before Hurricane Iniki thundered it's wraith on this tiny oasis in the Pacific.
I drove south first. I wanted to see what type of devistation had happened in Poipu Beach and Koloa..both facing the full force of Iniki.
I remembered the old sugar mills churing constantly just outside of Lihue. The dust from them made the air thick, but sweet as they processed the harvest from the fields of sugar cane that coated the south coast. It was a staple industry on Kauai. As I drove along the Kaumuali Hwy, there were no more mills operating.. The sugar fields were deceptively empty, the crops sparce and abandoned to grow wild. The only reminder now of this bygone era was the Large plantation estate of KiloHana, that was built in 1935, and the plaques at Ko'loa town...brazen brass reminders of the migrant sugar plantation workers that toiled in the fields years before. I felt a little sadness.
I continued down Hwy 520 to Poipu. I remember the quaint little village. Cute beach cottages dotted the shores there.. A gorgeous grove of the treeline drive shaded the highway all the way there. It was so rugged and unspoilt. When I arrived, I was greeted with cars, to many tourists, bulldozers and other construction. The Sheeraton, Kuhio shores, Lawa'i Beach Resort, Villas..shopping centres. I parked my car on the beach and just looked in disbelief..
Where was the dreamy little village I remembered? Driven under by mans machines to accomadate more people.. This was my last resort.
I left and headed towards Kekaha Beach Park. It is close to the end of Hwy 50, just past Kekaha. Not to many tourists venture down that far on the island. It is close to the Barking Sands Pacific Missile Range Facility, but you wouldn't know the military was there as they are good stewards and the base is very quiet. I got out of the car and just stared at the Island I had driven here to view..
Ni'ihau, the forbidden Isle.
It sits out on the Kaulakohi Channel off of Kauai's South West corner. The island is the last true sanctuary for pure Hawaiians. It is about 18 miles long, 6 miles wides and is strictly Kapu. or off limits. In 1864, King Kamehameha sold the Island to the Sinclair Family, and today it belongs to Kauai's wealthiest family and their descendants... Brue and Keith Robinson. All of Ni'ihau's residents work for the robinson's.. herding Cattle, sheep, Making charcoal from the Kiawe Tree or gathering Honey from the hives there. The women busy themselves making the world famous Ni'ihau shell leis, which due to the craftsmanship and painstaking hours of work , fetch about $500-$1000 on the current market.
My love of Ni'ihau started in Puuwai. It is the main village there, close to Halute and Haialii Lakes. The only fresh water on the Island. The men head out to work on horseback, including the Poo Lawaia (head fisherman) held in very high reguard by the villagers. He would take just a net and enter the water..mimicing the movement of sharks with his body and driving the fish into his net.. He has rights to his "Koa", a traditional free-diving spot where he dives up to 60 feet to catch food for the village..It is a simple feast, but "Ono" (good). The men hunt the feral pigs and take sheep for food as the need it. They don't use guns, they rope them. The village is self -supporting. At least one family memeber from each family works on the ranch there part-time. the housing is free, as is the transport for residents to and from Kauai. Everyone contributes to the survival and well being of the village. Although the Aina is owned by the Robinsons, they allow the Ni'ihauian to totally self govern their existence as the ancient hawaiians did. Ni'ihau isn't a curtural museum full of people stuck in time, they are modern day hawaiians with enough self control to evolve without the needs of outsiders governing thier culture, conditions and perceptions.
I remember walking to the beach near Puuwai, and down to Kawaihoa point, at the south of the Island. I sat on the beach, the sea touching the sand..licking at the silent shore of this pristine forgotton paradise. My footsteps melting into smoothness,Erasing ridges, indentations. I watched all of humanity melt away as each slap and pull of my ocean planned its gentle erasing assault on the shoreline.. Guided by the tides and moonlit nights..The Ocean was now delivering on more day for me to enjoy. I sat on the empty beach that day gathering Momi and Kahelelani shells to make my lei with. These tiny pink and green shells, barely bigger then a pin head were precious and delicate work to gather. I was without thought and in perfect harmony sitting there that day..
I wondered how many pure Hawaiians would be left to enjoy this way of life? About 200 years ago, there were about 250,000 pure Hawaiians, now...Im guessing there are about 4,000 left. They are all very much, *He pua laha 'ole* Rare flowers.
The US Navy has a small Radar station there now. The Islanders are allowed to govern it's effect there. The military employs 16 Ni'ihau residents to provide maintenance on the small dish site. All military visitors must be accoumpanied by a village member when working or venturing outside of the site alotted. the helicopters the Military use to get to the island land 15 miles from the village so as not to disturb the way of life. They bring supplies to the islanders free of charge, including water during droughts and they inform the Island Elders when they are coming, so as not to disturb and rituals on the Island. From talking to the village residents, most agree the military presence is a positive thing for their island.
My view of this sacred little treasure?
I love puuwai village.. It's pace is undaunting. It is surrounded by a Stone wall and Iron gates to mark it's boundaries, and to keep out livestock that would eat any vegatables growing there. The LaLesu church stands in silent guard of the people, It is the largest building on the Island..bikes proped up against it's freestanding stone wall. As it stands prominently in the town square. I listened to the hymns, sung in cappella with a strong, vibrant harmony by the villagers..It made me smile. When they were done, they left all their family items, bibles and such in their pews..No-one disturbs them here. The rest of the village comprises of two tiny school houses, a small basketball court, and the cafeteria where the school children and adults of the Island eat and "talk Story" together. This peaceful enclave is perhaps the purest surviving embodiment of "Oahana" as Hawaiians can define the word (means Family). There are no dogs on the Island..but cats roam free in Puuwai to keep rodents and bugs at bay.
There is no electricity, no phones.. But many homes have solar panels that power flashlights, radios etc. Several homes there also had small wind generators. I smiled at the Glass fishing floats that wash ashore there (they do on my beach hereas well) People use them for christmas decor on the trees in the village.
The men wore slippers(flip-flops) Tee-shirts and jeans, the women muummuu's, the younger ones shorts and tee-shirts. No one smokes or drinks. Profanity was rare at best, and the villagers take pride in their homes and themselves....
I wish I could go back there just one more time, but this day.. I contented myself with a few prized photo's of the sleepy little Island and turned to head back to Kekaha.
I like driving up Kokee road on Kauai. It's a winding one with vertical drops and spectacular views of the coastline once you reach the top. I stopped to take a few pictures before heading to the end and into Waimea Canyon State Park. The canyon rivals the grand canyon in Arizona.. It is carved out of the red volcanic rock by the Makaweli and Waimea rivers. I stared over the canyon to the Kohua range, it haden't changed one bit...At least this part of Kauai was timeless. I wanted to hike through the canyon again. It takes about 8 days to walk through it from one side of the island to the other. It's a place lost in time..I hear it call to me..I know it's song. The park is riddled with hiking trails, little cabins and a lodge and little museum/restuarant for those weary and in need of good coffee, or a bite to eat.
I sat in the fields catching the fragrant smell of white ginger on the air...
I remembered the view of the lush jungle coated canyon floors, fluted in columns of velvet green and firey reds... greeting the sapphire blue of the ocean they rise from.. I sighed deeply... and sat outside the lodge.. picking a bouquet of clover blossoms under the watchful eye of the..... chickens.
Chickens??? Oh yes.. the chickens...
Yes, I said chickens... Ok, why are the chickens now almost outnumbering the residents on Kauai? Well..when Iniki stormed the island, it carried off all the chicken houses and "deposited" them across the Island. The chickens made themselves right at home, and got busy breeding.. Now there are chickens everywhere!! I have a theory about them but I'm saving that story for the TV rights on the next X-Files series...( Devilish grin) All I know for sure is there are wayyyyyyyyyy more chickens on this Island then is rightfully decent!
I reluctantly left my field as the heavens opened up and headed back down into Lihue. I found a perfect place at a small hotel on the beach and bedded down for the night.. I had the sweetest dreams that eve and slept more peacefully then I had in almost a year..lulled to sleep but the ocean right outside my Lanai..and the dreams entered...
End of Day One...

Kauai -B & B's Piopu and Hanlei

by adesmar123

Any suggestions that are reasonably or appropriately priced? We''l be there March 2007.

Thanks!

Alan

RE: Kauai -B & B's Piopu and Hanlei

by BlueCollar

I would start looking here:

then look here:

by adesmar123

thank you ..that was helpful...

by ILKK

You may want to try grantham-resorts.com. We rented from them twice, they have some nice one bedroom condos. Check out the Kuhio Shores condo on their site, was just completely remodeled, that is the one we have rented for January. Kuhio Shores is the closest building to the ocean in Kauai and there is snorkeling on either side.
Hope that help.

by adesmar123

Thank you...I'll check that site!!!

by keida84

Hi we just returned from Kauai you might take a look at this offering: http://www.poipubeach.com Very nice, affordable and close to a great beach. Aloha! Kat

Advice to a novice

by sharri42

My wife and I (we're in our 50's) will be making our first trip to Kauai for 6 days in mid-October, 2008. We'd like to spend the whole time in 1 place with a beach view for roughly $200 to $350 per night, either a 1 bedroom condo or a hotel suite. Any suggestions?

by acprincess

I rented a condo in the Kuhio Shores complex (there are several for rent.) It was less than $200 a night and we had a balcony right over the ocean. We could see whales in the distance. It was right next door to a wonderful snorkeling beach, and not far from the blowhole. I really loved it and would go back in a heartbeat. There was an apartment complex across the street that had a pool (we didn't), but I liked being right on the ocean.

by davidmg

We, in our 50's too, also rented a condo at Kuhio Shores. It was #116, on the ground floor, a few steps from the water. It was fabulous! We had all we needed, could hear the ocean all the time, and, as the previous poster said, just a very short stroll to one of the best snorkeling places on the island. I believe that if you went to kuhio-shores.com, you can look at most of the condos for rent. They are privately owned. The woman we rented from was easy to work with and we had no problems at all. I believe it cost around $200.00 per night.

The sunsets were breathtaking, we watched the surfers for hours, and saw more sea turtles than we could count. Have a great time!!

Please email me if you would like to see some photos.

David

by GracesTrips

We stayed at the Hilton Kauai Beach Resort which was located right on the water on the east side of the island. You won't get a great sunset view but a tremendous sunrise view for sure! The room was very comfortable and enjoyed dining at the hotel for breakfast and seeing the colorful birds. If you prefer to the the sunset and have access to more restaurants, perhaps the Sheraton on the south side of the island would be nice place to stay. I haven't stayed at the Sheraton but we did see the complex - it's huge and also right on the water. There was some huge festival going on there that we heard about and so we checked it out. You will love Kauai. The water is spectacular!

by travelgourmet

Stayed at the Shearaton Kaua'i and it is on the sunny side of the Island, Poipu Beach. There are many accommodations in Poipu that meet your price range. The beaches are great and you are closer to the Waimea Canyon and centrally located then if you stayed over on the rainy side, Hanilei.

by kAINUI

Our favorite is beaches in October are in the Poipu area.

Check out http://www.poipukapili.com/

any recommendations for an affordable condo with a pool in the south side?

by cchiuching

my b/f and i are going to Kauai on Jan 12, 2007.
we will stay there for 9 nights.

i am looking for a condo in the south.
budget: under $100 per night

anyone has any suggestions?

it seems very difficult to find a condo under $100 if we want to swim in a pool.

by BlueCollar

Yes, your initial findings are pretty accurate.

Try looking here:

RE: RE: any recommendations for an affordable condo with a pool in the south side?

by lemonpie

Great web-site for places to stay Blue Collar! :) I found it most helpful in my search for Kauai in 2007. Thanks!

by ILKK1

I stayed on South side in Poipu last January and honestly never went in our pool. The water in the pool was very chilly and the beach was so close we felt like we didn't need it. We are going back to Poipu January 2007 and booked a condo called Kuhio Shores through Grantham-Resorts.com. The condo is the closest building to the ocean on the island but has no pool. There is snorkeling on both sides of condos, we are looking forward to it.
Good Luck w/ the search. Our dates cross over a couple of days are I would tell you check out the condo. They have other condos for rent on their site.

by cchiuching

Thank you so much for all your info.

Yes i agree that www.alternative-hawaii.com is very useful. I discovered the site in my 1st trip to hawaii - The Big Island.

But the Kauai Poipo accommodations in www.alternative-hawaii.com normally costs more than $100/ night too LOL

Yes Kuhio Shores is nice too. still expensive to me.

i guess in the end i have to give up staying in the south.

lodgings in the east are cheaper.

Best Western Plantation Hale unit costs less than $700/ wk...better fit my tight budget

i have to save my money for Combo tour (air+sea) and deep sea fishing.

by JudyR69

I hope this reply isn't too late, but my fiancee and I stayed at Prince Kuhio condos in Poipu last year for only $75/night. We were across the road from the beach, had a pool (but I was never in it-too busy snorkeling and watching sunsets), a nice lanai, also grilled fresh ahi tuna from Koloa Fish Market for our dinner. We found the rental through Kauai Vacation Rentals.

FYI: I agree with the others that you really won't even need the pool with the ocean so close. There is also a ton of fun things to do on Kauai, so if you are outdoorsy and adventurous, you probably won't have time to swim in it.

Comments