3528 B Mana Hema Pl., Lawai, Hawaii, 96765, United States

More about Kauai Banyan Inn

Absolutely fabulous!

by TripAdvisor Member KRoblee

I have to say, my husband and I were pleasantly surprised when we arrived at the Kauai Banyan Inn. Lorna Hoff runs this beautiful inn perfectly and with such care for her guests. We arrived rather late on a Wednesday and she was waiting there with a hug ready to give us the keys! She gave us a little tour of our Ulu Suite. This suite has breathtaking views of the valley below, a WONDERFUL bed with beautiful linens, and very large windows allowing the warm sunrise to shine into your room in the morning if you so choose. There are blinds, of course, in case you want to sleep in:) Lorna also let us know that there was coffee and banana bread in the kitchen for breakfast. She also had many beach chairs, towels and boogie boards for our use if we chose to use them. We were not left wanting for one minute for our four night stay there. If we hadn't had to leave for Oahu, we would've stayed at the Kauai Banyan Inn our entire trip. Lorna was an absolutely perfect hostess and we thank her for making our vacation one of the best yet!

A home away from home, only better

by TripAdvisor Member Lander

This was a private estate with only 4 units hosted by a wonderful lady who welcomed us to her home. Five minutes away from a small town with many small stores and restaurants, a large grocery store and ten minutes from Poipu Beach. Very centrally located in the south shore area of Kauai. The unit was equipped with a complete kitchen, very comfortable bed, large bathroom and lanai overlooking a 400 year old banyan tree. Snorkel equipment was available for our use as well as an outdoor grill and hot tub. It truly was a wonderful 10 days of relaxation in a unique setting most visitors do not experience.

Mary Ellen Hawkinson
Lander, WY

Impeccable -- absolutely loved it!

by TripAdvisor Member ypsilan

I am a very picky person and I can honestly say that I can't find any suggestions for improvement about this place. We had a perfect stay here.

We stayed at the Ulu suite and looked in several other suites. The other suites are also very nice but Ulu is well worth the money for its beautiful view and large, private lanai. The photos on the website do not fully convey how nice this suite is.

Priority #1: The suite was spotless, clean as a whistle. The furnishings are new and clean. I do not like sitting in some hotel's chairs etc because they don't seem clean. Not the case here. Felt as comfortable here as in my own home (rare for me).

Added plus: The suite was stylish! Hawaii-appropriate but not kitschy. Modern and in good taste. The suite had a beautiful cedar ceiling and hardwood floors. As nice as any 4-5 star hotel but better because of point #2 below.

Priority #2: If I'm staying at an inn, as opposed to a hotel, I do it for the added features of kitchenette, beach equipment etc. This place had just about everything that you might need (refer to other reviews for lists). All equipment was clean, new and of good quality. The Ulu doesn't have a full stove but the 2 burner hot plate provided would be adequate for most uses. It was fantastic to be able to borrow their cooler, boogie board, beach umbrella, chairs, etc.

Other: I appreciated the every-other-day "freshening up" service (new towels, trash emptied). That was just about right since I think that the daily room service you get at a hotel is rather wasteful. It's not something I need or want to pay exorbitantly for. I personally prefer the fact that there is no communal breakfast. The experience was very private. I did not see or hear any of the other guests that were staying there. Location near Poipu is convenient. I did not feel the need to stay right on the beach since there are many places to go on Kauai and we were travelling to a different point on the island everyday. We came back to the room to sleep and by then, it doesn't matter if you are beachfront or not.

Lorna is a genuine and sweet innkeeper. She's lived in Kauai for 40 years. You truly had the feeling that she cared about her guests and their experience.

Re: roosters. They abound all over the island. The ones that we heard on this property did seem a bit louder and closer than at the other place we stayed at but I was able to adapt. I did not need to use the earplugs that Lorna provided and I did not feel that my sleep suffered.

I made my reservation here after reading TripAdvisor reviews. I found the review from fastidious_traveler on March 27, 2006 to be especially helpful and accurate. If returning to Kauai (and I hope I do), this would be my accomodation of choice (especially the Ulu). It is a good value for the money.

This is the property's second year of operation. I hope that the standards are kept up as the property ages a bit. The only thing that would make this place even better is a washer/dryer, even if coin-operated.

Overall, three cheers for Lorna -- she got it all right.

Great home base for exploring Kauai (but why leave your room?)

by TripAdvisor Member FT-aquaflyer

All the TripAdvisor reviews were right! Lorna's place is a gem, and the central location made the Inn a great home base for exploring the entire island.

The Pueo Suite was our home for five nights, and Lorna thought of every detail to make our stay convenient and comfortable.

Our room was freshly appointed with beautiful and clean furnishings, including a comfortable new king-sized bed and island-inspired decorations. We successfully cooked several meals in the kitchen with the help of included pots and pans, cooking utensils, and food storage supplies (foil, plastic wrap, and even Gladware)!

For our outings, Lorna provided beach towels, a cooler (with ice pack), and Kauai guide books. Because surf conditions did not favor water activities, we couldn't take advantage of the snorkeling gear (masks, snorkels, fins) and boogie boards that were available for our use.

The private, covered lanai (separated by latticework from the next unit's lanai) was set up with nice furniture. The on-site hottub was relaxing after a long day of travel, and we had it to ourselves every time.

Lorna was very helpful in suggesting activities and friendly whenever we had questions. Hats off to her for facilitating such a nice trip to the island.

Another note: the roosters are real and are EVERYWHERE: near the Inn, at the beach, in the mountains, at the waterfalls. There is no avoiding them. But at night, once you put in the thoughtfully provided earplugs, they seem to go away. How convenient! One might judge the island opinion of the chickens by the long lines at the KFC drive through ;-)

Top notch accomodations in a beautiful private setting

by TripAdvisor Member mcprice

We recently stayed for 8 nights at the Kauai Banyan Inn. We chose the Kauai Banyan based on the great reviews here but I can honestly say, it still exceeded my expectations. Our suite, the Pueo, was elegantly furnished, amazingly well-equipped and immaculate - as were the grounds surrounding the inn. Fantastic views, lots of privacy, every amenity you could think of , sweet. friendly hostess - really, there is not a thing I would change. I loved the fact that we could take advantage of all the personal touches a small inn can offer , like suggestions for local restaurants, actvities etc. but still maintain our privacy. (Didn't miss the traditional B & B breakfast with strangers one bit.). The location, high on a hill side overlooking the mountains, was off the beaten path, but still very convenient for exploring the entire island. On the one rainy day we had, I took advantage of the in-room massage available and would highly recommend it -pure bliss. Have stayed at many small inns and b & b's and would put this one at the top. Top notch accomdations in a lovely private setting. It just doesn't get any better than this.

Great place

by TripAdvisor Member SherriandLee

We stayed at Kauai Banyan Inn for four nights at the beginning our Hawaiian Honeymoon in Nov. 2006.
I'm not going to go into a ton of detail, well because the other reviews say it all already. The place was very clean, and our room and private bath was spacious. The beautiful wood ceiling and very comfy bed gave the room a very luxurious feel. From our lanai, we enjoyed watching the birds come and go from the big Banyan tree the place is named for, as we ate our breakfasts. Breakfast is not provided (hence the Inn rather than B&B), but Lorna set us up with a few things to get us started (we had fresh fruit, a loaf of cinnamon bread and ground coffee), but the kitchennette in the room is well equipped (including a large fridge). The location of Banyan Inn was ideal for sightseeing all over Kauai.

Absolute Best in Affordability and Comfort!

by TripAdvisor Member cla603

We stayed in the Nani Loa Suite for a week in February and enjoyed every minute.
The room was well appointed with comfortable bed, all the cooking supplies in the mini-kitchen -full refrigerator w/freezer, 4 burner stove w/oven, microwave, toaster, coffee pot, etc. (which allowed us to make our own meals and snacks when we wanted), and a table & chairs on the outdoor patio.
The service was excellent. The room was clean upon arrival, towels were refreshed regularly and the hostess even did our breakfast dishes one morning. We loved coming "home" to a clean, comfy suite each night.
The value was superb. Other people in our group stayed in Poipu area condos and paid more than double what we did and did not have nearly the personal touches nor the free beach gear available to them. It took us 8 minutes at the most to drive to Poipu, so the savings was absolutely worth it.
We took advantage of the in-room massage offered by the hostess' daughter and it was fantastic and very reasonably priced. We also took a surfing class from the hostess' son and it was a lot of fun.
Overall, we believe the Kauai Banyan Inn offers the best in affordabilty and comfort. You should definately stay there!

Amazing Inn...Just try it!

by TripAdvisor Member Lozacurls

The value, condition and location of the Kauai Banyan Inn alone are reason to stay there. The room and everything in is brand new and you can tell. Lorna, the Inn Keeper, has gone out of her way to purchase the best of everything...indluding the bed and bedding...OHG! The best is so comfortable! I am very picky so this made me very happy. Six pillows on a king bed too.
There is every a noise maching that plays different soothing sounds like...ocean, rainforest, waterfall, heartbeat, etc. I loved that too.
What I loved most about staying at the KBI was the privacy away from the tourist traps and how Lorna thought of every single detail. For example, if you want to spend the day at the beach. Lorna has an abundance of beach towels, boogie boards, beach mats, umbrellas, coolers, snorkle gear...everything you could possible need at the beach. The kitchen is FULLY stocked with everything you could possibly need...every tupperware! That is not typical. She even put an OFF candle on the balcony outside.

I could happily live there

by TripAdvisor Member blackdog71

My husband and I stayed with Lorna at the Banyan Tree Inn and absolutely loved it. Everything was perfect. We were in two units, each beautiful, unique, immaculately clean and fully furnished. Lorna has thought of everything to make your stay as comfortable as possible. My husband's neck acted up while we were there; Lorna's daughter was booked but she found a massage therapist who came to the inn and saved our vacation. Some have mentioned the roosters; there are a lot of them but she provides ear plugs. And they are everywhere on the island, especially in the south. The banana bread is homemade and delicious. The cost is extremely reasonable for the quality. They are located in a peaceful and quiet neighborhood but very close to the beach. From there we went to the Princeville Resort on the north shore. The first night I nearly cried because I wanted to be back at Lorna's. I debated about reviewing the inn because I'm afraid it will become too popular and I won't be able to get a room but Lorna really deserves the compliments. She works really hard to make it so nice and welcoming. I would go back in a minute.

Friendly and Peaceful

by TripAdvisor Member TelePlayer

My wife and I really enjoyed our stay at the Kauai Banyan Inn. The room was very nice and the view from the Ulu Suite's Lanai was a perfect mix of mountains and distant ocean. We enjoyed a couple of wonderful dinners on the shared barbecue and a some dips in the hot tub. Highly recommended.

Comments