Castle Kiahuna Plantation & Beach Bungalows

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Castle Kiahuna Plantation & Beach Bungalows

Wonderful time at the Kiahuna Plantation

by TripAdvisor Member ChrisClarkston

My husband and I just spent 5 nights at the Kiahuna in a privately owned condo that we booked thru ---------. It was condo #52, 1 bedroom, ground floor, 200 yards from the beach. First off, the condo is well-maintained, just renovated, and very clean (which I am a stickler on). All rooms were well thought out and very clean. Bathroom has a nice size walk-in shower with two sink vanity. Kitchen has corian counter, and well-equipped with good appliances. Dining room table is wonderful with seats for 6. Pull-out couch in living room with surround sound TV/stereo (which we did not use). Grounds are immaculate and beautifully maintained. The beach is good with towels and chairs provided, and snacks that can be purchased. We never had to wait for towels or chairs. The Sheraton is right next door for food or drinks, as is the Poipu shopping center with some great restaurants. Our only negative was that during the first couple of mornings we were awakened by roosters and sprinklers going off, but then we got used to it. And there are chickens everywhere on this island. Also, with a ground floor condo, you cannot keep your living room sliding door open for breeze at night. But with the ceiling fans, we were always plenty cool in the bedroom. I would definately recommend this place and stay here again.

Disappointing experience at the Kiahuna Plantation Resort in Poipu

by TripAdvisor Member KayinCal

The Kiahuna Plantation Resort has lovely grounds and is very convenient to the ocean. The swimming pool is across a busy street and nothing special. The lounge chairs around the pool were very worn looking. While the layout of our room was nice, it was poorly maintained considering its price. For example: there were stains on the upholstered furniture and mold on the silk flower arrangement. There was a strong musty odor in the room. The ancient sliding glass doors to the balcony kept sticking, and the screens kept going off their rollers. The blades on both ceiling fans were horribly ratty. The light over the outside entry door was burned out. Although there was daily maid service, the bathroom and kitchen never looked "shiny clean." I would not recommend these accommodations.

Beach at Kiahuna/Sheraton

by annk

Poipu Beach is known to have one of the best beaches in the world per "The Travel Channel". This gorgeous crescent shaped beach is protected by a reef and offers good swimming, snorkeling & surfing. There is mild surf close to shore at one end of the crescent which is ideal for those just learning how to surf. Lessons are given daily to visitors of all ages. More advanced surfing is in deeper waters beyond the reef.

If you are not staying at either the Kiahuna Plantation Resort or the Sheraton, public parking is available between the 2 resorts. The parking lot is small and fills up fast but there is also parking along Hoonani Road by the Sheraton. There is a small grassy area with palm trees and public restrooms.

At the Kiahuna Plantation Resort

by malianrob about Plantation Gardens

Our firts night in Poipu we werent sure where to go for diner and we didnt want to drive to much so we ate at our hotel/condo. There was a restaurant in the premisses so we decided to check it out. There were flowers, orchids, and greenery everywhere. People were dressed in nice shorts and shirts, the ladies in dresses. I dont think there was a dress code or anything like that but the restaurant was semi fancy. Laid back but not too laid back. The service was good and so was the food but it was pricey. But we were in Poipu were everything is pricey. Rob had some sushi and then some seafood stirfry and he loved it. Kekoa had huli huli chicken and mashed potatoes, very good too. I had a beef dish with augratin potatoes. It was very good and the portions were big, at least my plate was.

Snorkeling Beaches

by annk

The best snorkeling beaches around Poipu are at Poipu Beach Park & Beachhouse Beach. Other good areas are the crescent beaches by the Marriott, Kiahuna Plantation & the Sheraton.

Poipu Beach Park - from Poipu Rd. make a right on Ho'owili Road. Road ends at Ho'one Rd. There is plenty of parking on the right corner of these 2 roads. There are public restrooms, barbecues, large grassy areas, shaded picnic areas with tables and Brennecke's restaurant across the street.
Kiahuna Beach - from Poipu Rd. make a right on Kapili rd (also sign for Sheraton Resort). Make a left on Ho'onani Rd. There is a small public parking lot and restrooms right past the Sheraton. There is also additional parking on the street.
Beachhouse Beach - located on Lawai Road by the Beachhouse Restaurant and across from the Lawai Beach Resort. Parking along the road only. Restrooms.

There are 680 species of fish in the Hawaiian waters and about 30 percent are endemic. There is no shortage of businesses to rent snorkel gear from.

I'd recommend purchasing the disposable waterproof cameras. They are easy to use and work great. I purchased a marine casing for my ultra compact minolta. Although I followed all directions, I ended up ruining the camera on a snorkeling trip to Ni'ihau. Plus it's very difficult seeing through the view finder with the casing. Could never tell what I was taking pictures of.

The waterproof fish identifier cards are handy too and are readily available around the island.

Most reviews are accurate

by TripAdvisor Member didddy57

My fiance and I are in our late 20s and stayed at the Castle Kiahuna Plantation from January 19 - 24th as a side trip to Kauai from Oahu. We've stayed at numerous hotels on the Hawaiian Islands during the past few years, but this was our first time staying in Kauai let alone a condominium on the islands. We were very impressed with the condo at which we stayed. Although many condos are styled and furnished different based upon the owner's taste, we can only comment on our condo. The time we spent at our condo primarily consisted of sleeping and showering and that's about it. We also made one dinner there as well. I mean, who wants to waste time spending time in the condo when there is so much to see in Kauai??? During the time we actually spent in the condo, we agree with the reviews that stated that it felt much like home. The condo was extremely spacious with all the necessary electrical appliances in addition to being beautifully decorated. We were very happy with paying for the garden view since we spent very little time there as this was much cheaper than any hotel in the area like the Sheraton Kauai for example. Although there is no air conditioning in any of the condos which is consistent with other reviews, there is plenty of breeze that comes in the windows through the screens in addition to the ceiling fans provided. Therefore, we did not consider this a problem. I mean, what can you possibly complain about? The roosters are annoying, but on a good note they got us up early so we can get a good start on our day so not a problem. I guess if you need to be pampered 24-7 and are a high maintenance individual, then you need to scamper on over to the six star hotel like the Hyatt or Sheraton. But if you are low maintenance, want a beautiful spacious place to stay that feels like home, then the Kiahuna Plantation is for you. The beach is nothing special, but there are numerous beaches on the islands which are incredible. Also, we did not waste time at the pool so we cannot comment on that. I'm sure it wasn't too exciting to attend considering all the other things to do on the island. Poipi Village is conveniently located across the street with excellent eats like Roy's, Keoki's, and also grab a Puka Dog as well. Plenty of options. Most of all, enjoy your stay. It sure is an incredible island with many adventures ahead. Please send an email should you have any detailed questions.

Internet site very misleading

Kiahuna Plantation is very pretty -- but everywhere in Kauai is pretty. You can find great places where you will be more comfortable. I was traveling with 3 teenagers and needed at least three beds. I booked through Expedia because the rooms were advertised as two double beds plus a sofa bed. Nada. One bed, an air mattress, one kid on the couch, one on the floor. It was noisy. It was very hot. The trade winds blowing through our third floor unit made it comfortable from 1am to about 10 am. The pool is across the main road in Poipu -- too far and a busy street to cross. The units are clean, the grounds pretty, but staying next door would have been a lot more fun.

Best affordable South Shore central location

This property is between "Above average" and "Excellent". Stayed in unit 67 for eight days and loved it - lanai had peek-a-boo view of beach, walk to beach through landscaped gardens, centrally located property with shopping across the street. Drove all over the island and found South Shore (where this property is located) to be the most convenient to drive to all areas - west (drier and hotter), east (airport and downtown Lihue), north ("ritzier" and rainier area but not much as far as small towns nearby). Poipu Shopping just across street from Kiahuna Plantation and Koloa only about two miles away. Most affordable property we found on South Shore. Will definitely consider property for return visit.

9/4/04 for 7nts

by TripAdvisor Member agent99712

we (me, 36, bo 34) booked the castle kiahuna after many hours of research for my first trip to hawaii. castle was great. nothing fancy, no big lobby, actually no lobby, no room service, class of clientele was understated and reserved. grounds people were nearly transparent. grounds were impeccable. condo buildings were very well maintained. although they may have been built many years ago the up-keep is apparent and should not even be a consideration.

if you want newer carpet, ask for it, if you want a quiet unit, ask if the occupants next to you have children. none of that was an issue nor were the roosters which i expected from past reviewers would be sqwaking (sp). bring earplugs in case. although these may not be requests you would make elsewhere, this isn't a full service, 5 star hotel, honeymooners go to the hyatt as my boyfriend and i felt if you want a jacuzzi or swim up bar or complete privacy.

we had never vacationed in a condo, so it was different. seeing dish liquid on my vacation was new to me. but the bbq's were fun and cooking at 'home' one or two nights was great. we felt like we could really relax in the room, the living room that is, not just a bed.

check-in was smooth, we asked to be moved after the second night to an upper unit because i was so afraid of noise upstairs, once again, past reviewers had me paranoid. we found it was just hotter, but both were very quiet, remember ask. staff was great, restaurant hostess, one of them, unprofessional, restaurant bar nice atmosphere and food very good but pricey. casablanca, the other hotel restaurant across the street, next to the pool, which nobody knew about, was excellent for breakfast, lunch or dinner, especially happy hour, courtney was great. great find. don't bother with the point, the restaurant near spouting horn, had a better dinner at the hotel. go for drinks instead. glorified hotel/wedding food and sub par service in my book.

we suggest the helicopter ride with air kauai. extremely professional and thorough. an absolutely breathtaking ride, the pilot, byron was exceptional!!

buy the book, y'now the blue one, very helpful. we did the tidepools and secret beach and snorkeling at the hotel beach was great. must bring aquatic shoes, those feet will thank you. hope this help. THANK YOU TO REVIEWERS PAST IN HELPING TO MAKE THIS A GREAT CHOICE FOR OUR TRIP:)

Would Stay Closer to the Beach Next Time.

by TripAdvisor Member Carol311

We stayed here from September 9-12, 2004, in Building 39, #336. When we arrived they had put us on the first floor, but kindly moved us to the third upon request. Unfortunately, Building 39 is across the street from Keoki's Paradise which we think must aim it's speakers right at that building. Thursday night we had Rock Music, Friday we had Carribbean and Saturday night, Hawaiian. Also, there was a lot of road noise. Still, I believe this was a good place to stay. Our place was very comfortable, the kitchen was well-equipped and our lanai was fantastic. It was huge and we felt like we were in a tree house when we sat there. The rain at night made a lovely sound and we even could see a tiny bit of the ocean from the lanai. The restaurant had beautiful gardens and the landscaping was perfect. It was convenient to get towels and chairs right at the beach. The snorkeling and swimming there were as good as anywhere on the south side. We watched people taking surfing lessons and even saw several monk seals right at the beach. You can find more luxurious accommodations in Poipu, I am sure, but there aren't many more convenient. Kiahuna Plantation has it's own restaurant and across the street there are 5 more. Try Puka Dogs...an expensive hot dog but a treat worth trying. We prefer the north shore and went there for 11 more days, but a few days at Kiahuna Plantation in the right condo is a good experience. Just get a condo closer to the ocean and away from the street.

Poip'u BeachPoip'u Beach

Sunset at Poip'u BeachSunset at Poip'u Beach

spouting horn near Poipu, Kauaispouting horn near Poipu, Kauai

Shipwreck beach, Poipu, KauaiShipwreck beach, Poipu, Kauai

Access to pools/resorts

by jmdjmd

Greetings,

My fiance and I will be staying in a condo in the Poipu area (Kuhio Shores) this October -- the condo complex does not have a pool on its grounds as far as we can tell.

Are there weekly or day guest passes at local resorts with pools in case we'd like to take a dip? How do the larger resorts allow access? wristbands, room keys?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Access to pools/resorts

by travelgourmet

Aloha, Most resorts know the guests at their hotels (towels are give-away) but you could try, all they can say is to leave. But, rather than being nervous,while in paradise you should be relaxed and laid back, change your condo for one with a pool. Better yet, change to one with a great beach. The Kiahuna Plantation has one of the best beaches around Poipu, enjoy the open ocean where everyone is welcome. Aloha oe

Help with Lodging Decision!

by Gary&BJ

I am so thankful I found this forum! Your information is the best!

Though we only have 3 days on Kauai next winter (have never been there before), we decided that the south area is best for us as we don't want to drive away from the rain. I believe we are down to 3 lodging choices and need help in our decision!
(1) Kauai Cove Cottages;
(2) Kiahuna garden unit from an owner;
(3) studio on Kuai St. (also from an owner)
Any suggestions, recommendations (of these or others) are really appreciated.

by madamx

This book rates accomodations on Kauai:

The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook by Andrew Doughty

You can also try www.tripadvisor.com for non-biased reviews of accomodation in Kauai. Have fun!

by travelgourmet

Aloha. Don't know your choices but staying in the Coconut Plantation area, 15 minutes east of the airport, gives you many choices for accommodations and shopping. You are in a central location to go either to Poipu (dry) or Hanalei (wet). If you desire to spend a little money on a great gourmet meal with view, the place is in Poipu, and it is the Beach House Restaurant. Aloha oe.

by lvspoipu

I have stayed at Kiahuna Plantation once before and will be staying there again in Sept. My husband and I love it for many reasons, such as the general stability in the weather, (we are from Seattle, we don't need anymore rain :)), and the fact that we are steps from a beautiful beach. We utilized Kiahuna Beach everyday, and it was so convenient to hop over to Poipu Beach and Lawai Beach. Our condo was great, had everything we needed and more- it is true that it can be a bit noisy, but it didn't bother us at all, and we found that the lack of air conditioning was never a problem. Good luck with your decision!

Teenager Stuff on Kauai?

by natos56

I will be vacationing in Kauai in August with my spouse and teenage daughters (ages 13 and 16). We will be in the Poipu area. While I am looking forward to the beauty and relaxing nature of the island, I am wondering if my girls will get a little stir crazy, particularly in the evenings after the day's events. Can anyone recommend a place/activity for teenagers in the Poipu area? Do some of the larger hotels have anything that is good for that age group? Anything to do in town or one of the malls? We will probably stay at the Kaihuna Plantation condos which are nice but seem a little quiet.

by Rixie

Kauai Vacation Helpers is a kind of clearinghouse for different tours and activities that teens would like. Some examples:
River kayaking
Movie tours of locations where films like Blue Hawaii, Jurassic Park, and Raiders of the Lost Ark were filmed, with behind-the-scenes stories.
Inner tube rides down the long Lihue Plantation irrigation ditch system
Zip line courses in a tropical setting

The Fern Grotto boat ride is kind of cheesy, but the grotto is beautiful, and it's all part of the Kauai experience.

I'm not sure about cost, but they claim that they find the best prices and that if you book online, there's a 10% discount. You can read more at www.kauaifun4u.com/

by annk

In general Poipu and the Kiahuna Plantation are quiet at night. The Poipu Village shopping center is right across the street, stores are open at night. Keoki's Paradise (in the shopping village) has karaoki at least 1 night a week which could be entertaining for the whole family. You can rent movies from the guest registration desk from both Outrigger & Castle. All Kiahuna condos have DVD & VCR players.

RE: RE: Teenager Stuff on Kauai?

by SC_Guy

I too will be visiting the Poipu area in mid-August, and was thinking the same thing. While my son and his buddy (both 18) will spend the days surfing, I'm wondering what my 16 year old daughter and her friend will be doing once the thrill of the local beaches wears off (about 2 days). Have you been able to figure out where teens tend to gather at night? Also, which hotels (if any) offer a "day-pass" for the pool areas? In other words, teens always seek to find one another... is there a place where this tends to happen? Frankly, there is nothing worse the bored teenagers, so this is a concern!

by LarryHunt

NOt much for a teenager to do here at night. My 15 year old son can't wait till he's old enough to move to the mainland where he can hang out at the mall.
Occasionally there is a teen dance, but I have no idea what they are like. They should be worn out enough from playing in the day time that they will want to sleep at night. My kids mostly just play video games.

Comments