2253 Poipu Rd, Poipu, Hawaii, 96756, United States

Hotels.com Priceline.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• malianrob's Profile Photo

Nice condos

There are lots of resorts here. Hotels and Timeshares and some residential summer homes. The whole area is full of tourists.
    This place that we stayed in was really nice. It is actually managed by two different companies. I am not sure how that works but I got a good deal on Expedia.com
    The condos were fully furnished and very neat and cozy. I didnt

• annk's Profile Photo

Kiahuna Plantation

Low rise plantation style condo complex, 1 or 2 bedrooms, full kitchens, ceiling fans (no a.c.), private balconies, outside barbecue area, swimming pool & tennis courts (across the street), beach activites center, very good restaurant on premises.
    Prices range from $150-$600 per night depending on season and location. For best deals rent from owners directly. Can also rent from management companies, Outrigger and Castle.

Unique Quality: Located on a crescent shaped beach, has beautiful spacious landscaping, numerous coconut palms, plumeria, hibiscus, waterlillies & a cactus garden. This resort is very relaxing, beach is fantastic, hard to believe you can surf, swim and snorkel at the same location. Sometimes you will see the endangered monk seals beached here. We frequent Kiahuna and have seen them beached every time we visit.
    Grounds are very spacious! Most other developers would have built 2 or 3 times as many units on the same property. It's very pleasant strolling the grounds. We travel quite a bit and love to visit new destinations but always return to Kiahuna.

Poipu Shopping Village and Kiahuna Golf Course are across the street.

More about Outrigger Kiahuna Plantation

Beauty & Luxury

by annk about Hyatt Regency Resort & Spa

We stayed here one year after hurricane Iniki ravaged the Hawaiian Islands....the Hyatt was the only hotel open on the entire island. Kiahuna Plantation was badly damaged and remained closed for a couple of years. We did manage to get a good rate at the time $100 per night. Believe me, you will not see $100 rooms any longer. I believe rates start over $300 and upward.

Oceanfront 600 room luxury resort, 4 stories, tropically landscaped grounds. Has fantastic meandering pool, salt water lagoon, waterslide, saunas, whirlpool. Property is on the beach but only experienced surfers and boogie-boarders venture into the waters. There is a short wave break and strong currents so this is not a swimming beach.

Property also has tennis courts and extensive health and spa facilities. The Poipu Bay Golf Course....the home of the PGA Grand Slam of Golf is adjacent.

A perfect hawaiian setting

My fiance' and I stay here in January 2005. I read some of the reviews and was kind of skepical, but our stay here was the best. These grounds are so beautifully landscaped along with all your favorite hawaiian flowers. The rooms are nice and comfortable. If you want the hawaiian cottage feel stay here!!!! There is also the marriott next door which is pretty new, but has that hotel feel to it, as well as the sheraton at the other end. Our recommendation is the Kiahuna Plantation. This place was the ultimate choice in accomodations. Plumeria trees everywhere on this property. So when you read other bad reviews about this place (ignore them). I would say this is by far the best of plantation cottage feel that you will have. So enjoy your stay there.

A Wonderful Visit!!

We stayed at Kiahuna Plantation Resort from Christmas to New Years and it was wonderful. We stayed in Unit 220, which is a two bedroom two bath unit. Our unit was immaculate, the grounds were gorgeous and the stafff was friendly. Even though we rented a car, we rarely used it. Every day we either went to the beach or across the street to the pool and tennis courts. My daughter and I took surfing lessons at the beach at Kiahuna. The water was warm and had plenty of waves for surfing, boogieboarding or body surfing.
Our unit was near the road, but every night and morning, we could still hear the surf. We did have a little noise from Keoki's across the street and from the parking lot. But it was was still paradise. The pool and tennis courts are a five to ten minute walk, which was fine. The complex is the largest on the island and not everything can be at your doorstep.
The lack of air conditioning that other visitors complain about was not a problem for us. Most of the condos on this island lack this feature. If you need to be tightly enclosed inside with the A/C running, you shouldn't be here.
We will come back to this complex every year!! Next time, we hope explore the many different things to see on Kauai. This visit was strictly rest and relaxation.

Fantastic Stay in the Old Plantation Style!

My wife and I, along with our 2-year old stayed at the Kiahuna Plantation for 10 nights in October 2004 for our 10th anniversary. After reading reviews both here and from other sources we were a little apprehensive about booking, but a travel agent had recommended it so we went ahead. Plus we wanted a place right on the beach.
We had a great stay! Our unit was clean and well kept. Peaceful, relaxing setting. We really felt at home here. Not a lot of 'action' so don't stay here if you are looking for that. Thought the whole complex was very well maintained. Immaculate grounds. Maybe some of the units are aging, but our 1-BR condo was great. Had everything we needed. Things that seem to be a concern to people..........

Louvred shades - my wife was REALLY concerned about this issue, but it turned out to be no big deal. Other than the large sliding glass door, all the 'windows' ARE just louvred shades(made of hard metal or plastic) with screens over them to keep out the insects. They open and close much like blinds. No they don't shut out the noise as well but we got used to it. I could see if you're a light sleeper this may be a problem (earplugs?). We thought this feature added to the overall plantation style (open-air, etc.) of the room. We did NOT feel any less secure because of it.

No air conditioning - there were two large overhead ceiling fans, one in the living room and one in the bedroom. These were more than enough to keep the suite comfortable. In fact we turned them to the low setting through the night as it would get too cool. Kept the shutters open in the day to get more air through, and almost closed them once we went to sleep.

Noise - biggest noise issue was the darn chickens & roosters cock-a-doodle-dooing at 4 or 5 in the morning (in case you don't know, there are wild chickens ALL over Kauai including the grounds of the most expensive hotels!) and some of the wild birds chirping away in the morning. For this, glass windows would be nice I suppose. We did hear the odd footstep of the people above us, but that was it. Didn't hear the people beside us at all. Generally it was very quiet, and apparently the whole place was almost full. We were in a ground floor suite at the very back of the property (building 18), adjacent to Poipu Road. Some road noise from the occasional big truck going by (there is a gravel pit or quarry close by) but really not a factor otherwise.

Walking distances - the whole complex was much more compact than we had envisioned, especially after looking at some of the overhead photos you can find on the net. From our room at the back of the grounds to the beach was a shorter jaunt than we thought even with our toddler in tow. I would avoid the units in the far back corners of the property. We didn't mind the 4 or 5 minute walk to the pool save for the fact that it can be surprisingly busy crossing Poipu Road. The pool area is not big but suited us fine. Small water slide, hot tub, children's pool lined with sand, lots of lounge chairs, compact but tasteful. If you're elderly or not very mobile then walking back and forth to the beach, etc. could get to be a bit of a chore.

Beach - the beach in front of the property is very nice, but there is coral/rocks a little ways off shore so bring your 'water' shoes. The waves were a little big here for our 2 year old, so we would walk along the shore (past the abandoned condo building, and through the grounds of the Marriott) to Poipu Beach Park (about 5-10 minutes) where the water was calmer. In fact we found the beach area right in front of the Marriott a little calmer too. But neither my wife nor I are strong swimmers so we're not great judges. But Poipu Beach Park, Lydgate, and Ke'e beaches are all great for little ones.

We would definitely reccommend this property and stay here again. But if you're a light sleeper, if a few children running around & playing annoys you, or if you're otherwise a high-maintenance type of traveller then it probably isn't for you. There's bound to be something to spoil things for you. Head to one of the big resort hotels instead.

Points of Interest: Keoki's restaurant across the street was very good, the Thai restaurant there was pretty good too. We went swimming at Ke'e beach on the north shore at sunset, which was a pretty cool experience. JoJo's shave ice WAS the best as per the guide books. Speaking of guide books, we found The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook very accurate and trustworthy. Bang on the money! Trust what they say. Frommer's Kauai was excellent too. The Fern Grotto boat cruise is pretty cheesy, and not really worth the $$. Be sure to at least take a walk around the grounds of the Hyatt in Poipu and maybe have a drink there. The pool area (well really the whole hotel) is spectacular! We had to pick our jaws up off the ground as we left. It' a sight in and of itself. A little out of our price league! We stocked up on groceries at the Safeway in Kapaa, but there's a smaller supermarket called Big Save in Koloa if needed. If you go up Waimea Canyon (which you must!) be sure and drive all the way to the last lookout, as it actually looks back onto the Napili Coast. Just an amazing view. We didn't take a helicopter tour so we were glad we found this. Cheers and Aloha!

Not too bad, but may not go back

by TripAdvisor Member jgsenecal

I stayed at the Outrigger to attend a research conference at the nearby Sheraton. Another student and I stayed in condo #96 (top floor of the building) from 8/16 to 8/20.

Looking at the grounds and gardens, these condos appear to be rather old (according to an employee I talked with the last construction was in the '80s) but the condos themselves seem reasonably well maintained. Our unit had no visible signs of neglect.

Pros:

+ Unit was well furnished, and furniture was very comfortable (slept like a rock on the couch!).

+ Unit had a full range of appliances (stove, dishwasher, microwave, blender, toaster, etc.).

+ Unit had ample cups, glasses, pots, pans, spoons, etc.

+ Plenty of towels, etc.

+ Nearby beach is nice and a good place for beginners of surfing. Snorkeling gear rental (from the beach hut) was dirt cheap.

Cons:

- Unit was carpeted, and because there was no dehumidifier the carpet always felt a little damp.

- Not a lot of privacy due to the louvered blinds (you can't completely close the windows). You'll hear nearby noise (and your neighbors will hear you!), but unless you have really loud neighbors it won't be too bad.

- Unit's iron wasn't working properly--a hassle when you're ironing clothes in preparation for a presentation.

- Returned one evening to find a fairly hefty (~2" long) cockroach on the wall of the shower. Unit was sprayed the following morning.

Old Plantation Feel

My wife and I celebrated our 25th anniversary with 7 nights at Kiahuna. After reading some of the reviews we were somewhat skeptical. We requested an upper level unit, garden view, and we received what we requested. The unit itself is older and nothing fancy, but is very comfortable. If you're looking for fancy , upscale, and intend to spend lots of time inside, this is not the place for you. Our unit was on the parking road, so was a bit noisey some nights when we wanted to hit the hay early. The grounds are lovely, the birds joined us for coffee on our lanai, and it's just a 5 minute stroll across manicured lawns to the beachfront.
The Plantations Gardens restaurant is a don't miss, again if you like the old plantation feel, no a/c, no luaus(sp?), no phony touristy stuff. You can get that across the road at the shopping village. The staff at the activity hut was very helpful. Check in was cordial at best, nothing special so ask all your questions. We found out after we left that they mail and add postage to postcards for all guests. (Would have been nice to know!)Lovely property for a quiet, restful vacation. We would definitely consider returning.

Hurricane Iniki - Kiahuna Plantation a year later

by annk

The golf courses had not returned to their usual green splendor....there was still much sand everywhere. For bad to mediocre golfers like myself, I certainly didn't mind. From what I remember a round of golf was very cheap and we hardly saw another soul.

Was saddened to see Kiahuna Plantation in such a state. It took a few years for insurance money to come through to rebuild. Now it is beautiful again!

Please....do not use photos without asking. I found the following 4 photos which are mine, on someone else's website.

Beach by the Kiahuna Plantation. Hard to tell by the photo but the Sheraton and Kiahuna are both fenced off and badly damaged.

This is not Kiahuna Plantation but more damage further up Poipu Beach.

Kiahuna PlantationKiahuna Plantation

Kiahuna PlantationKiahuna Plantation

Kiahuna Plantation BeachKiahuna Plantation Beach

Outrigger Kiahuna Plantation?

by daveuinla

My girlfriend really wants to visit Kauai, but my budget is very, very tight. I found a fairly reasonable package for Outrigger Kiahuna Plantation. Has anyone stayed there? Is it a recommend, or a stay-away?

Thanks so much!

RE: Outrigger Kiahuna Plantation?

by YVRDave

Excellent location. Some of the rooms may be dated but you will like it.
Maybe she will pay for everything?

RE: RE: Outrigger Kiahuna Plantation?

by Jamesr3939

I agree, never stayed but walked the grounds and they are really nice.

RE: Outrigger Kiahuna Plantation?

by lvspoipu

I have stayed there once before and am returning this Sept- I love it there- it is true that it can be a bit noisy, but we didn't have any problem with that. B/C each unit is individually owned, it can often be a crapshoot when booking through a larger rental company, but we had great luck last time. If you want to avoid the guessing game, you can book directly from an owner. The beach is great, grounds are incredible, and I thought the staff was excellent. We snorkled almost every day just steps from our condo, and my husband took surfing lessons there as well. I didn't find the beach to be that crowded, and we were there during what I was told a fairly busy tourist season.

Comments