1310 Uluniu Road, Kihei, Hawaii, 96753, United States
Orbitz.com Expedia.com Booking.com

More about Kihei

Always be considerate of your hostsAlways be considerate of your hosts

Moving to Maui in July--a few questions for those of you living there!

by redheadj

Aloha!

My boyfriend and I are moving July 26th to Maui, either to Kihei or Lahaina depending on what we decide upon getting there, but we are hoping to find a place to move into for 8/1/06. We will need a place to stay for 6 nights (the 26th through the 31st) and I'm not quite sure where to find a cheap place. Can you recommend any cheap hostels? I have searched craigslist.org as well as the maui news website and will keep my eye on them, but if any of you know anyone who will have a spare room or wants a little extra cash for 6 nights, please let me know!

The other issue is we will probably need to rent a car to get to Kihei or Lahaina, in which case it will have to be returned to the airport--how does that work? Would you just take a cab from the airport upon returning the rental car? Thanks so much--again in this case, if you would like some extra cash and have a spare car lying around we could borrow for a day or two, hit me up--we are responsible drivers!

Any other advice is also welcome.

Thanks so much!

RE: Moving to Maui in July--a few questions for those of you living there!

by Buzzzzz

I have been to both cities and I would suggest Kihei over Lahaina. I liked the vibe better in Kihei. Better beaches, less tourists, traffic, etc.

Once you return the car you can take the bus to either places, no problem.

RE: Moving to Maui in July--a few questions for those of you living there!

by Ponobill

There's a hostel in Lahina--cheap and not bad. A friend of mine's son stayed there when he was considering moving here.

I'm assuming you're planning to work. There's more jobs in Lahina and they're easy to get. Lots of turnover in the restaurants and shops.

Kihei is low key, but it's mostly condo-dwellers, timeshares or people in the cheaper hotels. Unless you're working in a fine hotel in Wilea or Makena you won't see much in tips.

Re: Moving to Maui in July--a few questions for those of you living there!

by micheleld

If you do rent a car, when you return it you can take the city bus from the airport to Kihei or Lahaina for about $2. A cab to either will cost alot and isn't worth it. The only thing about the bus is that you can not bring a ton of luggage or a surf board on it, but if you a simply returning a car, you shouldn't have much stuff on you.

Re: Moving to Maui in July--a few questions for those of you living there!

by dsunlin

Travel Tips for Kihei

No shoes in the house

by cbogacki

Before you enter anyone's home, please remove your shoes. It is customary and really should be done out of respect. When staying in a B&B I even leave mine outside the door. It's strange, but I've only lived here 10 years but I feel its disrespectful and ask people to remove their shoes/slippas when entering my home. It is common to see a PILE of footwear upon entering a home with a party.

Comments