4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Costs 852% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

More about Ho'olei at Grand Wailea

Grand Wailea Resort Hotel

by MarianneRules about Grand Wailea Resort Hotel

My boyfriend and I stayed here April 13th-20th 2008. This is a wonderful hotel...The landscape is tropical, the decor is very upscale and classy, the service is great. If you can afford it, stay here. My two favorite things were the waterslide and the guava juice in the lobby during the afternoon. Ok…I loved the garden too. It is very family friendly but not over run with kids either. You can stay at the resort during your entire vacation, although we ventured out every day to explore the island. The location is good for both options. Waterslide, Gardens, Art work

The Jewel of Wailea

by soulanjuli about The Grand Wailea Resort

Luxury and decadence meet at this resort, definetly the jewel of Wailea. There are more than 800 rooms, a full-service spa, several restaurants and convenient access to Maui's best golf courses. What makes The Grand unique from other hotels in Wailea is its glamourous decor, quaint chapel, nightclub, small shopping mall and yes, even a doctor's office, all located within the property.
Many of the walls within the lobbies and common areas of the hotel feature what appear to be frescos depicting ancient Hawaiian life.

Four Seasons - A spectacular Hotel

by MaureenVT about Four Seasons Wailea

On a recent trip to Maui, we opted to stay at the Four Seasons Resort in Wailea. Usually we stay at the Grand Wailea next door, however the last time we were there, the place was overcrowded with small children. The Four Seasons was extremely quiet, relaxing and private. The service was out of this world...each day when we laid out at the pool, staff members frequently came by to refill ice waters, pass out cucumbers and cold wash cloths, as well as offer fresh fruit and Otter Pops! The service at the hotel is probably the best and most impressive I've ever seen.

Also, the bathroom in our room was gigantic....and offered every ammenity one could need.

There are also tennis courts...which you can reserve...rackets and balls are provided at no charge, in addition to the court . Depending on one's preferences on where to relax during the day, there is a huge selection. There are cabanas surrounding the pool and grass area overlooking the ocean, that are offered at no extra charge....they are first come first serve...though there are a ton of them, so you should't have a problem reserving them.

You can also go down to the beach where umbrellas and lounges are set up by the staff...however around 2:00 in the afternoon...the wind really picks up, and sometimes the umbrellas have to be taken down.

Luxury on the Beach

by rstary

Check out Wailea Beach. It is a public beach sandwiched between the Four Seasons and the Grand Wailea. Go to the cabana run by Four Seasons and ask "how much to rent" beach chairs and sun shade canopy. They will ask if you are a Four Seasons guest. I told them "no". For a $20 gratuity, they set us up with chairs, sun shade and towels. Then they offered us fresh ice water the rest of the afternoon. Spend $20 and be pampered lie a Four Seasons' guest.

Walk down the beach a block to the Grand Wailea. There you will find a bar amidst the pool area to order a pina colada. They aren't cheap, but it's a nice little luxury on a hot day.

Grand Wailea Resort

by BRIAN949

"Grand Wailea Resort is looking good"

This place is heaven on earth, well almost. GW is well managed and well kept and is now under Hilton management (since mid 06) it's now part of the Waldorf Astoria Collection for any Hilton Honors members looking to cash in points at this luxury resort. The pools are spectacular, great for kids and adults. I really like the fact that they offer a separate "adult" pool for those who want to "chill" without the children. The cabanas are expensive (approx 120.00 per day) but the convenience, privacy and service is well worth it.

I stayed in the exclusive Napua tower, worth the extra $$ if you can splurge. Napua Tower is the private - By access olny hotel within a hotel and I was for sure spoiled by the great breakfasts in the Napua lounge. There is also an evening open bar in the lounge "free drinks", talk about convenience, walk out your door and you've got breakfast in the morning and cocktails at night. I loved it!

The Napua Tower room was nicely appointed with a good view, well kept but nothing too spectacular. The bathroom had a nice big bathtub and separate shower with awesome water pressure. The amenities were very nice and housekeeping was very generous with the supplies.

Overall Service was good but I would expect a bit better overall though for a hotel of this caliber. I would definitely return and highly recommend GW if you are staying in Wailea. It will be interesting to see what Hilton does to improve this grand resort.

"Cabana"

"bathroom"

statues in the Grand Wailea exterior lobbystatues in the Grand Wailea exterior lobby

fairmont kea lani or grand wailea ??

Hi all,

Please can you suggest if the kea lani is better than grand wailea?I have read bad reviews on the up keep of kea lani and the furniture looks like it belongs in a 3 star resort? What's your take on this one?We have a 1 year old toddler and love to hang out in the resort most of the time.
Thank you in advance.
lengleng

by Roadquill

I would also include the 4 Seasons. The beaches in front of all three are absolute pearls. The Grand Wailea has appeared to me to be more family friendly. Pool ammenities (slides) seem better also. The downside of this is when a pool is closed due to an "accident". This happened to our friends recently at the 4 Seasons. I would check to see what kind of programs there are for children at each resort. You may also want to consider how far each resort is from the Shops at Wailea. (They are all a short walk) I believe the Kea Lani is the farthest away.

by lengleng

Thank you for your input.The four seasons were too expensive as they only have the suite available so we got the ocean view cuite at the kea Lani for less.We won't be shopping much so the distance to the shops are not a issue so much.Thank you for your advise :-)

lengleng

by YVRDave

I find the GW more of a convention hotel. The KL seems much more tropical. The reports of 3 star furniture may be a bit harsh.

by lengleng

sorry for the late reply.Yes it is definitely harsh!it was quite lovely actualy but I must admit that the upkeep of certain details was pretty bad especially for a Fairmont.lengleng

Hyatt Regency Maui vs. Grand Wailea Resort

by swdke

Can someone help me with information regarding the Hyatt Regency Maui vs. Grand Wailea Resort? Pros/Cons, preferences? Thanks so much.

RE: Hyatt Regency Maui vs. Grand Wailea Resort

by YVRDave

I like Kaanapali Beach better. The Grand Wailea is to convention like for me. If you can take two more options, look at The Sheraton Maui and The Kea Lani

by swdke

Thanks for your reply. Do you like the Sheraton better? I have been considering the Sheraton too. Can you tell me more? Thanks. Steve

by YVRDave

The Sheraton had a $500mil refit 2 years ago. It has wonderful grounds and is on Kaanapali beach right at Black Rocks.

by travelgourmet

Snorkeling wise, the Sheraton Maui sits on a prime location at Black Rock. Huge sand beach at low tide. Great little side pools off a waterway, with spas, etc.

by chasechow

We just got back from staying at the Hyatt and went down to the Grand Wailea for a Christmas Eve Sunset service. Both properties are beautiful properties. The pros about the Hyatt: The hotel itself is very nice with beautiful manicured grounds (40 acres worth). The pool area is large and nice and even though we were there at a very crowded time of year, we didn't feel crowded. The food was great. The breakfast buffet at the Swan Terrace was a great way to start the morning. The Hyatt is along the "Beach Walk" which takes you down past the other hotels/beach areas on Kaanapali and to the Whaler's Village (shops, restaurants, etc). It is also only about 1 mile away from the town of Lahaina, which is a great little tourist town with lots of restuarants, shops, etc. We went into Lahaina every night for dinner, drinks, shopping and people watching. The only con that I can think of is that the beach area directly in front of the Hyatt is not considered the best area for swimming. Supposedly the bottom is rocky and sharp. I didn't see anyone swimming there. We just walked down to Black Rock (in front of the Sheraton) where you can snorkel right from the shore. As for the Grand Wailea, from all of the common areas (did not see a room) this is one of the most beautiful properties I've ever seen. The grounds were breathtaking. One of their pools is designated as an adults only pool. Their pool complex looked huge. The beach was gorgeous. The food was great. The ONLY con for me was its distance from the Lahaina area. Since we liked going into Lahaina just about every night, I wouldn't have wanted to make the drive from Wailea that often. We've decided that on our next trip, we're going to split our stay up between the two properties.

Wedding ceremony locale/rental estate near Four Seasons/Grand Wailea

by AmandaG1547

We are planning a wedding with about 50 guests on Maui in June. Our reception is set for Spago at the Four Seasons, and most of our guests will be staying at the Four Seasons or Grand Wailea.

We can't have our ceremony at any of these places, though, because the resort requires you to book a wedding package through them, which is like $10K for a bunch of stuff we don't really want.

I'd like to rent a house or even condo where we could have the ceremony -- and our family or some guests could stay there for the night. But I'd like for it to be walking distance to the reception at Spago.

Any suggestions??

Thanks so much for your expertise!! :)

Re: Wedding ceremony locale/rental estate near Four Seasons/Grand Wailea

by BlueCollar

Many rental homes do not allow weddings or parties. So you may be out of luck.

You should go to VRBO.com and look around to see what you come across. I looked there and happened to find one house offered in Wailea that does not specifically disallow weddings or parties, but you will have to contact them to make sure. At $2,700/nt for both the main house and studio suite, it's pretty steep!

Ref: http://www.vrbo.com/71812.

It looks awesome, though!

Their description says: "World famous Wailea Beach, which hosts the Four Seasons and Grand Wailea Resorts, is a 15 minute stroll along the ocean front Wailea walking promenade."

Re: Wedding ceremony locale/rental estate near Four Seasons/Grand Wailea

by domdiggy8

OY! Good luck finding places walking distance to the Four Seasons. You're talking major cash for the condos around this area. I would have your guests get condos in nearby Kihei, and get taxi's. This will save them all THOUSANDS of dollars. Spago is unreal good!! You'll love the Four Seasons. It's the best resort on Maui.

I would look to places in Makena to have the ceremony. With 50 guests, you could just set up on a beach for free. If you want to spend a little more, but have an incredible reception, check out the Sugarmans Estate. The guy who owns it invented Blue Blockers. The estate looks like Magnums house.

My best friend just got hitched 3 months ago there. It was unbelieveable.

His photographer was Natalie Brown. She was great. The food was catered by Cafe O'Lei, which was so good. I would also look into Ferraro's at the Four Seasons for food. They have an open air restaurant by the pool. I think it's owned by the four seasons.

Post back if you'd like. Having just been in the wedding party, I know a lot of inside stuff.

Comments