2531 S Kihei Rd, Kihei, Hawaii, 96753, United States

Satisfaction Average

More about Kihei Akahi

Very Affordable, Great Condo in Kihei

by Albernfrau about Kihei Akahi Condo

We booked the Kihei Akahi as it is an affordable place to stay and the ratings on tripadvisor tended to be favourable. We knew staying in a condo would be a gamble but it definitely was one that paid off as our condo, Building D Suite D04 was fabulous. It was immaculate. We loved it! Building D is quite far back from the main road and therefore a ways from the beach across the road but it only takes a couple of minutes walk. I should mention Kihei Akahi is convenient as it is close to Internet cafes (Internet was available in condo for a fee), restaurants, convenience store, boat launch (for snorkelling and diving), beach. The location is great for getting to other areas of the island too.

Overall, a great place to stay. Next time though we would probably stay somewhere right on the ocean if we could afford to. If we couldn't afford a place on the beach we would stay here again! The owners had beach towels, beach mats, boogey boards, beach chairs etc. all available for use. Not to mention guidebooks, novels, playing cards etc.

Kihei Akahi is the Best on Kihei Road

This is a resort where each unit is privately owned. The very best units are usually managed by the Owners themselves. The top floor of D Bldg is the absolute best vews. You can find them on VRBO or one of those sites. Units that are handled by rental agencies or part of travel packages are probably the most used units. One cannot rate the entire complex on the basis of one unit.

Some owners provide instructions where waiting for a Security person to show them to their unit is not part of the deal.

We stay every year in D607 and it is wonderful... high speed internet access,
new towels, beach chairs and accessories and the owner provides all the soap plus complimentary coffee and tea.

Kihei was fun

Great place to stay for the money. we stayed in condo c-410 from 7/27 thru 7/31 and would say to request that unit if you can. it has everything you need. it has an air conditioner in the living room but you dont really need it unless you stay inside during the day. for a little more money some of my family stayed at the kamaole sands, and i would suggest you stay there if you like to stay in. I definately would not stay anywhere in north kihei past "maipoeina oe iau beach park" it smells like maneur and we couldnt tell why. There are lots of restaurants close to the kihei akahi. If you like italian food eat at Bada Bings. Oh yeah, one thing that you need to be prepared for is really low speed limits. It seemed like just about every where was 25 mph. Thats hard to get used to when your from L.A.

A great place to stay for the $$ value.

We spent six days here and it was too short. The condo was very clean and the kitchen had everything we needed. There were beach chairs, mats, and an umbrella, even an ice chest! We had an ocean view (D-building, 4th floor) and the view from our lanai was great. We bought our food at Safeway and Costco, saving some money. The condo did not have air conditioning, but we did not need it. There were ocean breezes every afternoon and evening. Kihei Akahi is a great place to stay if you like to go out and explore on your own. After spending a day around the island, we'd come back to our room, put on our bathing suits and walk down to the beach. We would come back here again. What a great way to spend our 20th anniversary!

Fine for those on a budget...but not luxurious

by TripAdvisor Member MPJ

We decided on the Kihei Akahi for our trip to Maui for financial reasons; we found a package including airfare for 7 nights for less than $700, and who can beat that for paradise?

Upon arrival (at night), there was no check in; you had to stand outside and figure out the telephone and who to call, and then they gave you a safe code so you could get your keys. After figuring out which condo was ours, we had to drive around the parking lot surrounding the condos and find the appropriate parking place, in the pitch darkness. I'm not sure if this is something that happens regularly...but WOW it smelled funny...the entire island up to that point! We spent the drive from Kahului airport to the Akahi with the windows rolled up, gagging; apparently, the sugar mill doesn't produce the best-smelling output. In any case, the smell lingered over the entire condo complex. Not pleasant.

Our room was on the bottom floor, off a damp, dark hallway next to an elevator. Every condo is privately owned, so you really have no idea what you're going to get. We requested AC...and were greeted with the loudest, most inefficient window unit AC I've ever seen! It leaked water all over the floor and only worked if you were sitting directly in front of it. But okay, we're in Maui, it's paradise, who cares, right?

The bedroom is windowless...not pleasant. The "lanai" is a patio that opens out onto a shared lawn...meaning there is NO privacy, and we had to keep the curtains drawn in our living room the entire time to make sure no one saw us changing clothes. No fence around the lanai, no view of anything but a lawn with trees. Hmph.

The bedroom was REALLY disappointing...it was dirty and the walls were musty and had cobwebs. I searched for bugs and didn't find any...thank god...but the room was NOT pleasant. One huge king-sized bed with old, musty sheets and a hotel-esque coverlet/bedspread kind of thing that felt like cardboard. Quilted cardboard, of course.

The closet was stocked with boogie boards and lawn chairs, and the linen closet had sheets and towels, and there was a stacked washer/dryer for use for free, so that was nice. The bathroom was again...windowless (Did I mention there was ONE window in the entire condo, and that was the sliding glass door leading out to the "lanai"?), and had a toilet and stained shower in one little closet and a sink/vanity in the hallway. Not too nice.

We bought groceries to defray the costs of food, and upon putting away our things, found roaches in the cabinets. UGH! We were SUPER careful about keeping everything sealed and stored everything in the fridge, but having to wash every utensil and plate because roaches are living in the cabinets is NOT pleasant.

Overall, the condo was musty, moldy, damp, dark, and uninviting. We spent as little time there as possible, as we had planned, and basically explored the island every day/night.

Our rental car was infested with roaches, so we drove back to the airport and got a new one, but that's common in a humid tropical environment, I hear, so I'm sure that had nothing to do with the condo.

I saw the pool...I think...it was the size of a large hottub...but we never used it. Location, however, was great, and we walked across the street to the Kamaole Sands beach every day for a dip and a swim, so who needs a pool?

Overall...it was fine for those on a tight budget, like ourselves, and for those not planning to spend ANY time in their room/condo except for sleeping. We're planning another Hawaii trip for this summer, and will be staying as far away from the Akahi as possible, as we're looking for a complete change -- we're doing the resort thing this time! Oh, and check out time was noon, and our plane left at midnight, so when they refused to find us another room to use (to shower in after a beach trip) I was a bit upset, but then again, I kept reminding myself that it is a CHEAP and BUDGET-FRIENDLY accomodation.

For location and CHEAP, bare-bones lodging, the Akahi was fine...but we won't be going back.

OK, but will try somewhere else next trip...

One of the best prices we found in Kihei, and had all the amenities. No problem with pests, but clean up any food spills!
Although not bad, the condo could have been cleaner, there were empty pop bottles under the couch when we arrived. The decor looked unchanged from the eighties, nothing fancy, but I understand that since they are individual owners, some have upgraded.
The fact that the elevators and walkway are outside the bedroom windows in all units is a serious design flaw, but most people were respectful of this "quiet zone". If anyone is talking in the walkways though, it sounds as though they are in the room with you!
Pools are unheated, and even on a hot day almost too cold to stay in for long! Much colder than the ocean!
It's a close walk to Denny's, The KKO, which has a restaurant/lounge. There is a small grocery store close by also, but prices are high unless you go to Safeway.
Harley Davidson Rentals are available close by, and I highly recommend that! It was one of the high points of my visit. They have scooters and exotic cars for rent as well. By the hour or by the day.
I think for my next visit I will stay at the Maui Banyon, we had friends staying there the same time we were down and their place was a step above, for just a little more money.
The drivers in Maui, I have to say, are the most polite I have ever seen! The locals were all friendly, and it was an excellent trip for myself and my five year old son.

Good value for the dollar

The unit we stayed in, being in Unit C, was clean and in good condition. We did not experience any bug problems. With the lanai windows open and the bedroom windows open we had a nice cross breeze, that kept the unit very comfortable. We as well found most people kept the quiet hours in mind. It was enjoyable to visit with others around the barbeques. The unit is dated however, and some of the shower equipment does need work. Very nicely located to shops, beaches and restaurants.

Our place was great!!

We stayed in room D416. I was very apprehensive as I had read the reviews and some were pretty worrisome.
We had a studio suite that had an ocean/mountain view which in the afternoons we were thankful for as we could sit out all afternoon and not get cooked by the sun. Our place was very clean, air conditioned which is a must, new fridge, new washer and dryer (we utilized often) as well as the towels looked fairly new too. The kitchen was well equipped with everything we needed. The place came with beach chairs, matts for the sand, umbrella and even a little styrofoam cooler. It also appears the owners did some renovating too.
As we stayed 7 days we got a grocery voucher for $50.00 at Foodland.
The scenery was beautiful, the people great and I would recommend renting a vehicle as there is so much to see. We did the Hana trip on a Harley that we rented at a place called the Toy store (it's in the phone book, but book ahead as it's not easy to book it the same day). It's an all day trip but was worth it.
We had a wonderful time and we would stay there again.

Enjoyed our stay

by TripAdvisor Member holla8

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a week and enjoyed it. It was a great value -- we paid $72/night with our AAA discount for a one-room condo. We loved the location, close to our favorite Wailea beach, and also close to the Kihei beaches, which we swam at the moment we got there. There are two pools, both of which were clean and pretty much unused, and in one there's a really, really nice outdoor grill. Our condo was clean, had A/C, swim toys in the closet, a washer dryer and a nice view from the patio. There were a few small bugs, but nothing that really bothered us. We would recommend it and would definitely stay there again.

Our Trip - Day by Day

by Albernfrau

"Day 1 - COSTCO AND CONDO"

We were greeted in Maui with pouring rain and cloudy skies. We went and picked up our rental car (Chevy Malibu from Alamo surprisingly this car had lots of power, a V6 but sipped fuel) and headed to Costco to buy groceries for our stay. We headed to our condo, Kihei Akahi (2531 S. Kihei Road across from Kamaole Beach II).

"Day 2- MAALEA/LAHAINA/BLOWHOLE/OLIVINEPOOLS/WAILEA"

We got up at 3:45 am and headed to Maalaea. We stopped at the 8 Mile lookout to see if we could spot whales but no luck so we went north to the town of Lahaina. We checked out the stores which are all pretty much the same. Our favourite stores were ABC, Hilo Hatties and Whalers General Store. All affordable with the largest variety of souvenirs. We posed for photos under the great Banyan tree. We stopped at Stone Cold Creamery and ordered the Birthday Cake Remix which includes cake batter ice cream with brownie chunks, sprinkles and chocolate sauce all mixed together and served in a dish was to die for! So expensive $6+ per dish but so worth every bite. We also visited the historic prison site; free, small and interesting site.

We continued north on Highway 30 through the resort areas of Kaanapali and Kapalua and then to the Nakalele Blowhole. The ocean water surged up through it approximately 30 feet in the air. We headed further north and hiked down to the Olivine Pools. These pools would have been great to take a dip in but it was raining and the water was very murky.

We proceeded to ignore car rental rules and continued around the northwest tip of Maui. The highway changes into a narrow twisty one lane road. We stopped in the village of Kahakuloa and bought some of the world famous banana bread. We continued on and drove through Wailuku and headed south on Highway 31 to Wailea in South Maui. This is another area full of expensive resorts.

We explored Makena and the wedding beach at Secret Cove (Paako Beach). Sure enough there was a couple just by themselves about to get married. Still continuing south we drove right through the middle of an old lava flow. On all sides we were surrounded by the lava rock from an eruption in 1790. The road ends at this point.

"Day 3 - HANA HWY/PAIA/KAMAOLE BEACHES I, II, & III"

We headed out on the Hana Highway. We used our guide book, Maui Revealed, to locate all the waterfalls and viewpoints along the way. We stopped at:
Lower Puohokamoa Falls: I thought this was the most beautiful and amazing waterfall.
Panalaw Falls: we had this waterfall all to ourselves. To get there though we had a hike which largely consisted on boulder-hopping on very slippery rocks.
Wailua Valley State Wayside: we climbed the steps and had the most incredible view of the village below
Puaa Kaa State Park: Muddy hike took us to a cute waterfall.
Nahiku Road: A nice road off the main highway with a fairly good view at the end but overall overrated.
Had the most incredible all-fruit smoothies (pricey $6 each but worth it) at a stand just before Hana. We stopped in Hana Bay and ate burgers and fries from Tutus. The drive back was fun as my husband pretended he was in the Formula 1 whipping around the 600 corners and got us home in a 1/3 of the time it took us to drive down there. We stopped in the town of Paia. Great town with really unique shops and very interesting people!

The sun was shining so we headed to the beach for the first time on our trip! I waded in the water at Kamaole Beach I, II and III. It was wonderful to finally be on the beach in the sun; isnt this what Maui is all about!

"Day 4 - LEARNING TO SNORKEL/LAHAINA"

Today Michael taught me how to snorkel! Michael took me to a nearby reef in shallow water and we snorkelled together. Oh my goodness how great is snorkelling!!!! Right away we saw the most incredible fish and coral. I was in heaven. It is like another world under there! It didnt seem real. All the fish and coral were such amazing colours and shapes.

We went to Lahaina for the remainder of the day. We enjoyed a great lunch at Lahain Fish Co. and again ate Birthday Cake Remix ice cream treat at Cold Stone Creamery.

"Day 5-SCUBA DIVING/GOT BURNT/MAGIC&COMEDY SHOW"

This morning Michael went scuba diving with Prodiver. They did the back wall of Molokini and St. Anthony wreck. Prodiver was a great company to dive and Maui provided great diving overall. He saw small sharks, turtles, fish, etc. Today was the first true sunny day so we spent to day at the beach and got burnt to a crisp. Neither of us usually burns and we were wearing sunscreen but that sun is powerful in Maui. Getting burnt was our biggest regret as for the remainder of the trip we were in constant pain and had to avoid the sun. This wasnt fun as we had just waited five days to get some hot sun! Anyways we did have fun all day as we went swimming and bodysurfed.

At night we went to Lahaina to see Warren and Annabelles Magic/Comedy Show. This show was outstanding! I have never wanted to go to a magic show but this one is soooo different. I wont give it away but you enter the show in a very interesting way. Once you do get inside you enjoy dinner or dessert in a beautiful 1920s parlour. Annebelle the ghost starts playing everyone?s requests on the piano. Her invisible self twirls in her chair and plays the piano like no other. After an hour in the parlour we were escorted into a theatre. Right away we were picked along with 6 others out of the 80 present to be participants in the show. We had to sit at the stage. The magic/comedy was absolutely amazing. Just as good as the magic is Warren?s comedy. He is hilarious. We laughed for two hours straight. This is a show like no other and by far worth much more than the $50US per ticket. The entire experience was incredible. I highly recommend it.

"Day 6 - WHALE WATCHING/BEACH"

Today we went out on a whale-watching trip with the Pacific Whale Foundation. We were lucky enough to see two mother whales with their babies with a few males tagging along. For two hours we got to watch them. We also spotted lots of the large green turtles (approx. 4ft long). Tonight we went boogeyboarding at Kamaolle Beach II. Great fun!!! Oh and we booked a snorkel trip to the Molokini Crater and Turtle Town for the next morning. I am so scared!!!!

"Day 7-SNORKEL MOLOKINI&TURTLE TOWN/BIG BEACH"

At 6am we headed to the Kihei boat ramp and met our guides from Maui Dive Shop along with the other 7 people who were going snorkelling with us. I was so scared as we headed out in our boat to the Molokini Crater, located miles from shore. Anyways I got in the water and as soon as I put my face in I was so happy I faced my fears. It was stunning. It was crystal clear and there were colourful fish everywhere!!!!! They were so amazing. We also saw an eel. Luckily I didn?t see a shark but others in our group did. After we had fully explored the crater our boat took us a few miles away to Turtle Town. The water here wasnt as clear but when I saw the turtles I had to go in. They were amazing. We went back to the condo and relaxed and then headed to Big Beach for the sunset and watched the largest waves we had seen on our entire trip.

"Day 8 - HALEAKALA SUNRISE/PAIA/BALDWIN BEACH"

We got up at 2am and went to see the sunrise at the Haleakala Volcano Crater Summit which is at 10,000 feet. I was surprised how many other people got up early to make this journey and wait for the sun. The sunrise was okay but it was pretty cloudy so it wasnt fabulous. Afterwards we drove down through the town of , a beautiful farming area. We went on through to Paia and ate breakfast at Charlies. If you go to Charlies eat the Macadamia Nut Pancake with coconut syrup. No not pancakes just eat one as they are the size of an entire plate and thick! After getting totally stuffed we went to nearby Baldwin Beach which is gorgeous. The water was the bluest we saw on our entire trip.

We headed North and drove to the IAO Needle. The scenery on the road to the IAO needle is amazing. I felt like I was in a creepy fairy-tale book. The IAO needle itself is beautiful as are the paths, bridge, and waterfalls below.

We had time before we had to go to the airport so we went to the K Mall. I found a beautiful Hawaiian dress for $25US. Unfortunately it was then time to head to the airport. We returned our car which they dont even really check and went to the airport. We definitely were not ready to leave Maui but it was nice to come home to a beautiful BC spring day and spend time in our home with our doggie!

Beach in front of Best WesternBeach in front of Best Western

Places to stay

by mom2four

My husband and I will be here for 5 nights and looking for a place to stay. This is our first time and it seems several really nice places to stay and I am just overwhelmed. Any suggestions??

RE: Places to stay

by dengay

It would help if we knew a little more about you, like your budget and what you like to do.

Here's my story and where we stayed: Wife and I are nearing 50 and fairly active. Like to travel by car and see sights, shop, walk on the beach and eat. Not big on swiming or snorkling. Our budget for lodging was $150/night. This was our first trip to Maui.

We ended up staying at the Luana Kai in north Kihei and loved it. The most beautiful grounds and nicest people. Our condo was a ground floor unit in building "B", very close to the pool and just a glimps of the ocean from our lanai. Condo was very well equipped and decorated. The beach in front is more for walking than swiming, but we did take a dip or two. World-class beaches are a 5 minute drive or a 20 minute walk down the beach.. The views are unsurpassed. The Luana Kai is very centrally located which made it easy to visit many areas of the island. You can see my full review of this condo on my homepage.

You can also check out www.wizardpub.com for an aerial view of the Luana Kai and all other resorts on Maui. Follow the links to "aerial photos".

Den

RE: Places to stay

by lyndyty

We usually rent condos in Kihei, instead of hotels and we usually find them at www.vrbo.com.
I've stayed at the Kihei Akahi (ok), Maui Vista (very nice) and the Village by the Sea (very nice). The are pretty inexpensive too. I think we averaged about $75-90/night.

Comments