2387 S Kihei Rd, Kihei, Hawaii, 96753-8636, United States
Booking.com Priceline.com eDreams

Satisfaction Average

More about Kihei

Try the local ice creamTry the local ice cream

Is kihei for me?

by Happy06

Wonder if someone might be kind enough to help me out - I live in London & I'm planning to go to Maui next month with my mum who's in her late 50's & i'm in my mid twenties.
All we really want are beautiful beaches and good restaurants kinda near by not looking for the party capital or anything.
Unfortunatly (for my mum!) we're doing this on a budget - so i've been thinking about Aston Maui Lu Resort on South Kihei Road. I've looked up reviews on the web and they're massively varied. I now it's cheap as chips so i'm not expecting luxury but i'd be really upset if i took my mum somewhere they had cockroaches!
Any thoughts & advice welcomed.
thanks so much

Helen

RE: Is kihei for me?

by Roadquill

For inexpensive places to stay the Aston is OK. I love staying in Kihei. Try the Best Western on the beach in Kihei. You can get a double room for about $125. Sometimes the manager runs specials for $99 per night. 1 minute walk from a great beach with lots of snorkling, turtles, Cheers, Karl

RE: RE: Is kihei for me?

by YVRDave

If you are on a budget I recommend a condo rental. You can find them in Google. This will save you at least $20 on breakfast per day alone then add the odd lunch laundry, self serve happy hour etc. etc.

RE: Is kihei for me?

by dengay

Helen,

Based on your profile, I think you'll find Kihei to be quite nice. I, too, recommend a condo. There are many 2-bedroom units in Kihei that can be had for under $150 US/night. You might try www.vrbo.com. Here you rent directly from the owner. If you use this site, I have a few suggestions to assure you are renting what is being advertised. 1) Ask to see lots of pictures. More than the owner has posted on the website. 2) Talk to the owner via phone. It's hard to cary on a meaningful conversation via the internet. 3) Ask for references. If the owner resists, don't rent from them.

All that being said, we sayed at the Luana Kai in November 2005 and found it to be a lovely facility with very reasonable rates. If you are interested, you can read my review on my home page.

One other tip regarding Kihei. The majority of the condos in north Kihei are on the ocean side of South Kihei road, like the Luana Kai, but the beaches are not good for much more than walking and wading. The beaches in south Kihei are some of the best on Maui, but the majority of the condos, at least the value priced ones, are across south Kihei road and thus a bit of a walk. We figured if we were going to have to walk to a good swimming beach, we would prefer to walk down the beach verses walk across the road.

You can also go to www.wizardpub.com and follow the links to aerial photos to see all of the resorts on Maui from the air. I found this helpful in making my final decision.

Dennis

Re: Is kihei for me?

by enzop

I know that Maui Vista is more southern in Kihei, and closer to the nice beaches. They periodically spray for bugs, I know because they were doing it when we were leaving there, and we had no bugs. The prices are good at Maui Vista, particularly if you rent from a private owner, you can find some of the vacation rental sites and search engines. Our friends, Rick and Dori Warner, where we stayed, had a nice 1 br.
email me if you want any more info, thanks

Travel Tips for Kihei

Snorkeling

by derats

Ahihi-Kinau Natural Preserve is another terrific place; it requires more effort to reach it, but it's worth it, because it's home to Maui's tropical marine life at its best. You can't miss in Ahihi Bay, a 2,000-acre state natural area reserve in the lee of Cape Kinau, on Maui's rugged south coast, where Haleakala spilled red-hot lava that ran to the sea in 1790. Fishing is strictly kapu here, and the fish know it; they're everywhere in this series of rocky coves and black-lava tide pools. The black, barren, lunarlike land stands in stark contrast to the green-blue water.
After you snorkel, check out La Pérouse Bay on the south side of Cape Kinau, where the French admiral La Pérouse became the first European to set foot on Maui. A lava-rock pyramid known as Pérouse Monument marks the spot. At Cape Kinau, there are three four-wheel-drive trails that lead across the lava flow; take the shortest one, nearest La Pérouse Bay. If you have a standard car, drive as far as you can, park, and walk the remainder of the way All you need are a mask, a snorkel, fins, and some basic swimming skills. Floating over underwater worlds through colorful clouds of tropical fish is like a dream. In many places, all you have to do is wade into the water and look down.

Comments