Maui Coast Hotel

2259 South Kihei Road, 1 block from Kamaole Beach Park I, Kihei, Hawaii, 96753, United States
Travelocity Expedia.com Booking.com

Costs 30% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Maui Coast Hotel

Great lodging for a great price

by VTNE about Maui Coast Hotel

Free Laundry room, computer stations in lobby for guests, fridge in room plus the usual amenities. Stayed here before and still a great place - convenient to the beach (just across the street) and within walking distance to a number of eating places. Pools, hot tub area,
onsite exercise room, clean, secure, everything you could want and around $100 a night.

Maui with NO car ? At Christmas time ? Well YES !!

by Webfoot55

Just got back from a week on Maui. Our Christmas present to each other.
Problem was we screwed up our car rental reservation, so NO car. At the busiest time of the year no less.
How did that work out ? Well here's what we did and what our transportation costs added up to.

We stayed at the Maui Coast Hotel in Kihei. The speedy shuttle from the airport cost $35

The next day we took the public bus down to Wailea to walk the beaches. Transportation cost was $4

We took a van tour around the island. They picked us up at the hotel. Transportation cost was zero.

We took the public bus up to Maalaea for a snorkeling trip to Lanai and Molokini. Transportation cost $4

We did the helicopter trip around the volcano. Taxi to and from the heliport was $80.

We took the ferry out of Lahaina to Molokai for a bus tour. Taxi to and from the dock in Lahaina was $120. We could have taken the public buses back to the hotel for $4, but my wife was getting nervous about the timing.

Yes these were all package tours we did, but it turns out they all added up in cost (roughly) to what we were going to pay for the car rental. And yes there were some places we didn't get to, but we did ok for our first visit.

Best of all I didn't have to drive. I could kick back and enjoy the views for once.

Kihei, Maui terrible home rental

by travelgirl91 about D/C Accomadations

Just back from Maui. I wanted to warn you about the accomadations that we stayed in. We stayed in the main house at 16 Ohukai Rd, Kihei. There is no a/c in this house. The owner told me that there was no need for a/c. When we got there, we found out differently. It reached 90+ degrees in the house at times.... and this was with 4 fans running. The owner's son is the caretaker that lives below. He told us that the a/c had gone out and it was too expensive to replace.

I was also told by the owner that there wasn't a lock box or safe b/c there was no need for one. We had to keep just the screen doors pulled at night to keep from suffocating. The screens didn't have a lock...not that a screen would have kept a robber out anyway.

So heed the warning and pick somewhere else to stay. It is very disappointing to travel 12 hours to Hawaii and realize that you've been lied to about your accomadations and yet worse have to sweat to death during your stay. Some of the beds had tiny bugs on the bedspread when we arrived. There was ALOT of gecko poop in one of the closets. There were bugs in the wash powder that they had left open in the laundry room.
The caretaker did not answer phone messages or clean the pool as we had been told he would.

Loved it!

The Maui Coast Hotel is great if you are looking for a reasonably priced hotel. It has all the basic features of a 4 Star hotel without the high price. The rooms are nice, clean, and well equipped. We were pleasantly surprised with the swimming pool and hot tub. There is live entertainment at the pool bar nightly. This is a great location, not far from Waimea without the high price of a resort.

Nice, Clean, and Affordable

I just got back from Maui and staying at the Maui Coast Hotel for 3 nights. The rooms were clean , the staff was pleasent and nice. Some of the pluses were free laundry on every other floor, Free Internet access in the lobby, and the room was very inexpensive for Maui standards (under $80). Minuses were no ocean view, and some small bugs (ant like) in our room around the refrigerator. All in all it was a good hotel if you are not going to be in your room except to sleep. I would recommend it.

Great deal on a great hotel

The Maui Coast Hotel was our favorite of the 4 hotels we stayed at on our trip, which included Oahu, Hawaii, Maui and Kauai. It was nicer than the larger restort hotels we stayed at, especially since we were more interested in seeing the island than staying at the hotel using the perks. The staff was very friendly, the rooms were clean and very big, and it even had a whirlpool tub, which was fabulous after a day hiking in Haleakala Crater. The rooms also have a minibar area with a little refrigerator, sink, and coffeemaker, so you can easily have breakfast in your room before heading out for the day. It's on the southwest side of the island, which is not as build up as the northwest side, but the more touristy places are still accessible for a day trip or dinner. It's not on the beach (you have to walk across the street), so the views aren't great, but they do have lanais (balconies), so you can sit in outside to drink your coffee in the morning. The beaches on that part of this island are very nice, also, and you get a great view of the sunset. Also, if you're snorkeling, the best areas are closer ot Kihei than Kaanapali. Overall, the value is excellent. I highly recommend the Maui Coast, and we will probably be staying there again if we get back to Maui.

Great Place

Our stay was wonderful at the Maui Coast. The room was huge! Big bathroom with a Jacuzi tub and double sinks. The parking is free for your rental car and so is the use of the laundry room! I'll stay here again....I hope!

Nice, clean, good price

I'm glad that I checked a lot of reviews before booking: We enjoyed an Alkoven Suite at the Maui Coast in August 2003 for the rate of a regular room and loved it! The room was very spacious, clean, and had a nice view of mountains and sea (but not the beach). We loved the restaurant (expensive, but great food and good service), the pool was nice as well as the life music at night. Convenient location for touring the island. Wouldn't recommend it for families with little kids, because the beach is across a big street.

Kihei, Maui, Hawaii

by jelw

"Magnificent beach"

Kihei has some lovely sand beaches. This is important in that so much of this Hawaiian Island is coral or lava with many cliffs going straight down into strong seas. This rugged terrain is gorgeous and worth every moment of travel to experience.

"Dramatic Scenery"

"and Facinating Flora and Fauna"

Kihei, Maui

by friendlydeer

"Condo Living in Maui"

I love Maui and staying at the Castle Kamaole Sands condominiums on Kamaole Beach makes me feel like I live there for the few days I get to visit.

Maui coast at the Pools of 'Ohe'oMaui coast at the Pools of 'Ohe'o

Halloween in Kihei Maui area

by cottonwood

So, anything happen in the Kihei area of Maui on Halloween? What should I be prepared for? Tricker treaters? that party thing? I'll be renting a studio condo in the area. Just curiouse.

by dengay

Here's a link to Oct 31 events on Maui:

by Odinnthor

Elwood, - you could not be in a more fun place than Maui on Halloween. Lahaina though is the place to be. Let me explain.

Back in the late 70s when I first lived there, I was a part of a group of people that started a costume street party in Lahaina. It was a proper gas, just outrageous. We had some crazy costumes and it was a big bloody party. Next year is just caught fire, as EVERYONE joined in, - that is, the locals both kamaainas and houles. The taxis would have fake bodies in the wheelwells, and sticking out of the trunk, and every club and pub, was overflowing with revellers.

In the mid 80s, I went back on my honeymoon, and the tradition had just caught on to a point of now being a world phenomenon. It has only gotten bigger and better. Of course, being a kamaaina (local), I had unlimited access to all the clubs and pubs, so was able to make the most of it. I have been back many many times, including several Holloweens, and always had a blast!

If you are on Maui prior to Halloween, try to go to the Front Street pubs, and try to get a "VIP" type inviatation to the HW party. It will be difficult to get in on the day of. No worries though, the streets will be full of revellers, and tourists wondering what the hell they stepped into.....d:o)

Yes there will be stuff in Kihei, but Lahaina is the place to be on Halloween. I have some crazy photos still from back in the day, but have not uploaded them yet.

by Odinnthor

....here, take a look.....

...and yes, I was one of the founders of this madness....and proud of it.....d;o)

Restaurant Advice

Hello again everyone:

We just got back from Maui in June. Everything was fabulous, but our trip was TOO short (only 8 days). We stayed in Kihei, and it was lovely. We are thinking about coming back at Christmas. My question is, where in Kihei should we go for a nice Christmas dinner? We did mostly bars and casual places when we came last month, but for Christmas we would like something a little nicer and beautiful. Thanks for your help. (as always)

by YVRDave

Glad you had fun. Were you expecting Turkey? You could try a Canadian hotel, The Four Seasons or The Maui Coast Hotel. They may have one. I would reservre very early though.

by nospam

You'll probably get lots of ideas, here is mine. The Best Western Hotel south on Kihei Rd has a beachside restaurant called Sorrento's. Have you tried it yet? The menu (as of June this year) will ring your wallet at approximately $20-30 for the general entrees. Basically, it's convient to Kihei, the food is very good but the chief attraction for me was the view offering great sunset meals. It's just a 5 minute drive froma the Denny's/Kamaole 3 area.
Bon appetit!

Hi:

Yes, we did see Sarentos. It looked gorgeous, especially with the torches lit at night. I was actually going to ask someone's opinion about that one, so thanks for the advice. I heard that Longhi's at the shops of Wailea was nice too. Any advice on that restaurant? Also the restaurant at Maalaea Harbour looks nice, and it's not too far from Kihei.

Thanks,

Hi again:

No, it doesn't have to be turkey. It would just be nice to do something a little nicer than "pub fare" for Christmas. I have been thinking about Sarentos, as suggested by our other V.T. buddy.

by YVRDave

If it is run by Italians it may not be open Christmas night. You may want to call or e-mail them. I have friends that rave about it. Longhis is quite nice.

Thanks again Dave,

Never thought of that. You're right, many of the restaurants may be closed. I had better look into it soon, and book way ahead.

C.

by jasonjacquinto

Sorrento's!!! the view is AWESOME and the food was amazing.
The service was second to none.

happy hour

by skarics

My parents are going to Kihei in January and Im trying to find them a restaurant/bar that has happy hour, preferrably with a nice water view in the Kihei area. They are not looking for somewhere to eat dinner...only for cocktails and maybe appetizers....years ago they had La Familia which was GREAT! And then we used to go to Sugar Beach hotel for .99 margeritas. I've been told that hotel no longer exists. Any info would be appreciated! Thank you in advance!

RE: happy hour

by Roadquill

Check tripadvisor on happy hours (http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60632-i109-k816417-Best_casual_happy_hour_in_kihei-Kihei_Maui_Hawaii.html), Most of the places in West Kihie are across Kihei Road from the water. You have to go a little East to get places on the water. Aloha

RE: happy hour

by Ponobill

there's a really pretty beachside bar called Sorrentos on the Sea. Good if pretentious italian food and a nice bar--it's in Kihei. For something really zooty go to the four seasons. gorgeous bar, great view, excellent appetizers. expensive, but not so bad if you don't have dinner. And they park your car for free--just tip the valet.

Comments