2777 South Kihei Road, Kihei, Hawaii, 96753, United States
Booking.com Orbitz.com Expedia.com

More about Maui Kamaole

Maui Kamaole

We have been going to Maui for the last 5 years and stayed in Kannapali at various hotels/condos. This year we went to Kihei, which was great, not the hustle bustle of the resort town. We purchased property there so basically it was a business trip. I researched various places to stay, did not have your website (which is great), well I thought the Maui Kamaole was the way to go. We arrived in the evening, there is no service desk to assist you. Had to make many calls to find out where my key was to go to the room. Opened the door to the townhouse, we had ocean view if you walked down the hill and looked accross the street and found a dead roach. I should have known from that second it would not get any better. My husband killed (3) roaches which are the size of a huge fist with a hard shell. The bathtub plug was broke so we used a dishrag to stuff down the drain. When I complained about the bugs I was told "this is Maui" we spray every 3 months it most have been ready to be treated. No compensation at all, I told them I would never come back again.

Loved the Maui Kamaole!!!

by TripAdvisor Member ASN1972

Maui Kamaole is a gorgeous location. The landscaping is lush, immaculate, and beautiful to look at every day. I have never seen so many multicolored flowers and foilage. The smaller pool near J units is beautiful with a tiny waterfall and the flowers and palm trees. The unit we stayed in overlooked the ocean [which was worth the extra $200] and every morning and afternoon was so beautiful to see the gardens on the lanai and the mountains on the other side of the bay. We stayed in a unit that was well kept with a huge kitchen and bathrooms. We were delighted to see all the beach equipment and coolers. The tropical decor was nice too.

The down side is that you have to walk or drive to Kamaole III beach, which wasn't a very nice beach because it is small and the waters were rough. I don't know if it was because of the time of the year, but actually all the beaches had rough waves that are not calm like in the Carribean. While Kihei is 40 minutes away from West Maui or Kaanapali, the drive is gorgeous. Beautiful Wailea with its luxury mall and eateries is just 5 minutes away and the best and undeveloped beach in Maui, which is Makena, is just 15 minutes away. This is the only place where you can have such scenic drives with lots of views of the ocean and bright green mountains. Another downside is that after dark around 6:30 pm there is absolutely no kind of night life besides shopping, dining, or a movie. This island does not have any bars or nightclubs! So the best thing to do is sleep at 8pm and wake up at dawn to get as much activity during the day. So the best thing about Maui is driving and sight seeing and snorkeling [the best place was near the condo in a small rocky bay near Makena Beach]. This is a wonderful place for senior citizens to live. Slow paced and warm.

Kehei/Wailea Condo

by mcuriel about Maui Kamaole

Quiet condo resort. Very nice 2 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 story condo with a beautiful view of the ocean and Kamaole Beach III across the street.

Still not a dissapointment!

This was our second trip to Hawaii and our second stay at Maui Kamaole. We had a 2 bedroom in the J building, per our request. The J building is pretty central to the back pool and the beach. By the way, the back pool is nicely landscaped with a cascading waterfall and during our 10 day stay we never found more than half of the sun-bathing chairs full. Our unit was very tastefully furnished with many local touches. The owners keep a closet stocked full of beach toys and snorkel gear which came in very handy. Piece of advice - when you leave the airport to go to the condo, stock up on stuff at Costco. We found Safeway in Kihei even more expensive than other grocery stores in the area. Best spot for breakfast...Kihei Caffe! Best beach nearby...Keawakapu (walking distance from the condo - go to the south end as the north end gets too crowded sometimes). Overall, this was probably the best vacation my family has taken together in the past 13 years. Maui Kamaole is definitely the best condo property in Kihei from what we've seen.

P.S. Haven't seen any of those "fist sized" roaches yet but I've got my wife trained to deal with them the next trip there.

GREAT CHOICE!

We stayed at Maui Kamaole October 25 - November 2, 2004, we were a little worried about staying at these Condo's because you can never be sure when you are looking at web-site pictures. We had done research on all of the Resorts in Maui and were going to book at the Sheraton in Kannapali, but after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor and having a friend recommend to us, we decided to save 50% on lodging and try Maui Kamaole. I can say we were very happy we did not pay the HIGH prices on Hotel row, this place is very well managed, and the grounds were very nice and manicured. We stayed in the Units in the G area our Lanai had a beautiful ocean view, although these condos are not directly on the beach it was only about a 200-yard walk to the beach. The condo we stayed in had beautiful Hawaiian furnishings and was very clean and well maintained; everything was new in this unit. The owners had thought of everything, beach towels, snorkeling gear, coolers, you name it they had thought of it. You can walk into Kieha and eat or shop, or a short drive to Wailea for dinner, and you are only 20 minutes or so to Lahaina. Something to remember is that these Condos are each independently owned, so they will all be differently decorated and maintained. This was our first experience staying in a Condo; we are use to staying at 5 star resorts, so if you want to be waited on around a swimming pool then this is not the place to stay. Both of the swimming pools seem to be more adult friendly not many kids this is a VERY QUITE complex, which we found to be very nice, maybe was just the time of year we were there. All beaches in Maui are public, so if you want to go to the Grand Wailea and use there beach they all have public access, which was a really nice perk, you can walk up and have lunch or drinks after spending the morning snorkeling. The beach across the street from Maui Kamaole condos is Kam Park III which was a lot of fun snorkeling, we saw lots of beautiful fish and also swam with a couple of turtles. I can also say that all of the reviews that I had read before our trip are very accurate.

We were so happy with the accommodations we booked 9 days in March.

An incredible place to stay!!!

My family and I stayed at the Maui Kamaole from July 16th to the 23rd of 2004. I had done some research on the internet before booking our stay here, and found the input from other people on this website extremely important in making a decision. We were coming from Australia, so we wanted to make sure we'd be thrilled after flying for 13 hours. Not only were our expectations met, they were blown away. We stayed in condo L201, which was right next to the upper swimming pool. The condo very comfortably fit my family of 6, which is usually tough to do. My wife and I had our own private room upstairs with its own TV. The condo had air conditioning, cable TV, a fully equipped kitchen for 6, in-room safe, washer and dryer, and a gorgeous view of the ocean. The swimming pool and hot tub were spectacular. My children couldn't stay away from it The complex was a short drive to just about anywhere you wanted to go on the island. Walmart, Safeway and Walgreens came in handy. The staff at Maui Kamaole were very helpful in making suggestions for things to do on the island. I can't say enough about this place. It was extremely affordable and one of the best experiences we have had in a long time. We paid only $1481.00 (USD) for the week we were there. We Any other questions about this place, please email me.

EXCELLENT!

by TripAdvisor Member judithnotjudy

We rented from a private owner and stayed there the middle of January 2005, you can find their web site easily, just type Maui Kamaole on Google and several will come up. This couple had two units, a one and a two bedroom. We only needed a one, but it was sold out (and this was MONTHS ahead), so we took the two. Everything they said was absolutely true. They are very well organized, know what they are doing and were a pleasure to deal with.

It was a very nice unit and the Maui Kamaole condos are well located on the outer edge of Kehei. You can walk into Wailea. We did not have bugs, but would not have been surprised if we did. It's wet there and warm. Bugs LOVE Hawaii. But we had none.

The condo was clean (non-smoking) and very well furnished. Like staying in someon's home. There were pleasing touches of Hawaii everywhere, pictures, decor, cane furniture etc. The kitchen was wonderful -- all the appliances and items you need to cook, even coffee and salt and pepper (though we used our own). The beds were comfortable -- though not the big cushy mattresses we have at home -- but they were fine.

One thing I didn't realize though I should have...our unit was up steep stairs - so be sure to ask. It was not a problem for us. We could see one pool from our balcony and we did spend one day at the pool -- but it was too quiet for us. We spent most of our time at the Wailea beaches - very accessible from Maui Kamaole. We also tried the public beaches just across the street and didn't like them as much. Too many people, bathrooms not as clean etc. as the public areas of the Wailea beaches.

For the space and the location and the niceness of the unit it was very fairly priced. Checking in was not a problem, even though there is no after-hours desk we were given detailed instructions on entry that worked like a charm the Saturday evening we arrived late. If you rent from a private owner be prepared to: (1) Pay far in advance in full and not expect a refund for cancellations (2) Pay a hefty room "damage" deposit which should be refunded. We received ours back before a week was up after we were home. These are first class folks. They also had an assortment of beach items in the condo closets you could borrow (towels, toys, chairs, beach mats etc.) which was thoughtful and saved money.

As they are privately owned, the units are bound to vary so ask questions. Are all the bedrooms individually air conditioned (apparently they wre built without air) for example. Is the living area? (Our unit had 3 air units). Has the unit been renovated or redecorated (ours had). Ask for personal recommendations from others. We did and received excellent answers from previous renters.

We did not cook in our unit but probably should have. Food is high in Hawaii and restaurants are very expensive. Even Denny's was much higher than here (Texas). And paying a lot does not mean you will receive a first class meal -- anywhere -- remember that when tempted to go someplace like the Grand Wailea or Tommy Bahamas for a "special" meal. Not worth it unless you just like paying for the ambiance. Go to Outback -- prices were the same at home and the food was too.

Maui Kamaole was -- by what I saw -- the nicest in Kehei and comparable with some of the Wailea condos. It was also quiet and our unit was a pleasure and VERY fairly priced.

We felt secure staying there but noted that everywhere we went there was an emphasis on "being careful." Even in our condo we were told to bolt the sliding glass doors when we left the unit and there is a safe for valuables in the unit...which we used.

Paradise has it's problems I guess, just like everywhere else. If you want a condo in this area, Maui Kamaole and these owners are great!

It's an okay way to go

by TripAdvisor Member stumpie

We had a one bedroom unit in the J buildings. Right out our back door was a nice pool and hot tub, which cut off at times. The landscaping is well done. Our unit was billed as "ocean view," which it was if you stood up in the living area or sat on a phone book out on the patio! The hedge in front of the patio needed to be trimmed about a foot so we could see the ocean. The unit was nice and roomy with window A/C units. It could have used a paint job, and housekeeping never saw the dust on the baseboards or the mildew in the bathtub. Kehei is very busy and you can walk to many places from the Maui Kamaole. But drive further south on a not so perfect day and visit the Wailea area and the mall there......nice. They have some great places for dinner. Then go to Makena and find the "big beach"...beautiful. As condos go, I guess this was okay. You can save money on meals by shopping at the Safeway. And by the way, don't be surprised at the prices......a gallon of milk was over $8!!!

enjoyed our stay

We just returned from staying at the Maui Kamaole and enjoyed our stay there. There were pros and cons of the complex, so I'll start with the pros:

The grounds are beautifully landscaped and very nice compared to other complexes in Kihei. Our condo was large, very clean and VERY nicely decorated. It was a great place to relax after returning from a day at the beach. The condo had beach chairs, towels, a boogie board and very large styrofoam cooler. I'd suggest bringing a smaller collapsable cooler from home to keep drinks in at the beach. The kitchen was well stocked with plenty of cookware and a blender for making papaya smoothies (papaya, guava/passion juice, and pineapple - yummy!). Our lanai on the first floor was beautiful, like our very own small yard with a gate that opened into the back pool, which was a very pretty small pool. We never saw any bugs.
Other things that might be helpful to know: The complex sits on somewhat of a steep hill. We are very active people and it's a nice walk to the beach. However, we were at the very back of the property (building L) so when going to the beach for the day, it was a bit much to walk with the cooler, beach chairs or mats, bags, snorkel gear, etc... Especially the hike back up the hill in the heat. So we found it more convenient to drive to the beach, which was a slight disapointment. We thought we'd be closer to the beach. Check-in was a bit of a challenge. The service was not friendly at the front desk and they did not have us on the check-in list. Luckily we had our confirmation # so after calling around, the gal was finally able to locate our reservation. We had booked through travelocity who uses "Maui Condo." Just know that Maui Condo does not provide any toiletries like shampoo or lotion, which they confirmed when I called to ask them about it thinking they may have forgotten to leave them. They do provide soap and of course toilet paper. However we've stayed in other condos in Kaui and have always had toiletries provided. It wasn't a huge deal cause I usually bring these things, but my husband had not so we thought it might be helpful to know this ahead of time. We liked Kamaole beach III and there's also a beautiful beach (Keawupke or something like that) at the end of a dead end road just a a couple minutes down.
Money saving tips: We found a great little island style deli that has great box lunches between $4-$6, and large portions. I think it's across from Kamaole I and was a great find for an inexpensive lunch or dinner to take to the beach. If you're planning to buy groceries, we recommend signing up for a free grocery card at the Foodland supermarket. It just takes a minute and we saved quite a bit on groceries. Milk was only about $2.60 for a half gallon. Cheap for Hawaii. ABC also has cheap pastries and a few deli items. Also Tara at Boss Frogs was very helpful and offered good prices on tours.
Overall, we were happy with the Maui Kamaole and would definitely recommend it. We wish we were still there!

Loved this place!

by TripAdvisor Member jakeduke

Stay at this place! We stayed here from October 1st - October 5th. The view was great, the location was great, and the condo was wonderful. If you are looking for something away from all the crowds but close enough to all the wonderful beaches this is the place. The condo we stayed in had everything you could possibly need. Dishes, cooler, beach gear, laundry detergent, etc. The town of Kihei is within walking distance as are several wonderful beaches. The grounds are beautiful and very well taken care of. The condo is very spacious and comes furnished with everything to make you feel right at home. A great place to base yourself while staying on Maui. We will definately be staying here again!

Kihei CafeKihei Cafe

Kahului to Kapalua

Hello!

Could someone please advise which road to take between the airport and Kapalua? We (family of four)arrive at 11:00 pm and are totally unfamiliar with the area. Is the north road OK ? My map indicates narrow lanes and unpaved areas that might be better explored during the day?

Also, any comments on the Maui Kamaole?

Thanks for the help,
Dimara

Re: Kahului to Kapalua

by elcbw

Take Highway 380 (Dairy Road) to Kapalua. Just follow the signs as they are very good. Once you are out of the airport and made a left on to Dairy, you should note there are a few big box retailers. The first one is Costco, the second one is K Mart and a mile down the road is the local home depot. If you do not see these big box retail malls, you are not on Dairy.

Maui Kamaole if I am not mistaken is a fine propety on Kehei Road in Kihei. I have never stayed there but my friends did and I was there for a visit. It is good for large families.

by dimara

Thanks so much for the reply.
The 380 turns into the 30 and goes along the west coast - right?

Diana

by elcbw

Yes, the 380 will turn into 30. Just make sure you take the Lahaina direction, not the Kikei / Wailea direction at the intersection. The signage are very good. Just pay attention when you are driving.

The North road although appears to be the logical choice on the map is not suitable to drive at night. It is extremely narrow at certain point and in fact most car rental contracts do not permit customers driving on that part of the road. Apparently, some part of the road could be wash out after major rain storm. I have driven on it before and I know I would not want to drive on it at 11:00 PM at night.

by dimara

Thanks for clarifying and helping us avoid a rocky start to our holiday!

Diana

A few Questions re our upcoming Maui Vacation

by cmillard

Aloha!

We plan to visit Maui the first week of December, so I would love some advice.

First, how is the weather at that time of year? (I know it's not as nice as spring/summer, but I hope it won't be raining constantly)

Secondly, we are looking for a nice 2 bedroom in Kihei. Both Kamaole Sands and Maui Kamaole look nice and I see they are across the street from the beach. Any suggestions for condos on the beach in the Kihei area? Many of the condos on the beach look pretty old to me.

Last question please. How far ahead do we need to book for December?

Thanks so much for your advice and input everyone.

Carol

by ricky52

Due to extreme climatic changes the World is experiencing at the moment, trying to predict the weather can be difficult because of local, on the day variations.
Most places now are seeing weather conditions well outside the norm.
The information below should be used as a guide only.

Here is the average weather for Lahaina for this time of year.
Enjoy your holiday.

UV level 6 = High
Humidity = Low
Sea temp 77f / 25c

by Roadquill

Kihei is on the desert part of Maui. Even if it rains it is only for a few minutes. Kihei Road is right on the beach so it really doesn't matter if you are on either side, unless you absolutely, positively have to walk 20 seconds and be on the sand. I bit South is the Best Western, which is on the beach. I like staying there when I do business trips as it is inexpensive 125 per night. However, when I take my wife we do the Maui Prince in makena. Make sure you don't go further North than across from the last Kamaole beach (there are 3 of them) And yes some of the condos on the beach side in Kihei have seen better days. Karl

by dengay

Hale Pau Hana (hphresorts.com) is ON Kamaole II, one of the nicest beaches in S Maui. Don't go by their rack rates! Give'em a call. With the down economy, you should be able to beat their rack rates by a few bucks.

The Maui Kamaole is a fine resort. Much nicer than Kamaole Sands IMO. Keep in mind that depending on which building you are in, it could be as much as a 15 minute walk, then across S Kihei Rd, to get to the beach! Not my idea of an ideal Maui vacation, but a LOT of people like it.

Oh, and BOOK NOW!!!!

by ccummings

December is a fine time to visit Maui weatherwise! My birthday is in Dec. and I've spent 3 of the last 5 birthdays there. Sometimes afternoon clouds/light showers roll in but they typically don't stay long. You must go visit 'Local Boys' shaved ice - it's the best!! Its a walk up shack near the mall along the main road in Kehei. Don't let the shack appearance dissuade you. Mahalo!

April in Maui?

by Inna111

Hi there!
We are a European family of seven with five kids between 2 and 13. Never been to that area before. What's the weather like in Maui in the first half of April? It seems SW would be the warmest area? After the long winter here we are looking forward to some sun, the ocean and the beaches. And the experience of the feel and the nature of this wonderful island. Any advice on a suitable oceanfront stay location for a group like ours? Or anything else that seems appropriate? Many thanks in advance :))

Re: April in Maui?

by dengay

South Maui (Kihei, Wailea, Makena) are slightly warmer and less windy than west Maui (Kaanapali, Kahana, Napili). While there are no guarantees, in April you should find daily highs in the mid-80's (F) and lows in the upper 60's (F).

A NICE oceanfront facility in south Kihei is the Hale Pau Hana (hphresorts.com). The majority of the nicer resorts in Kihei are across the road from the beach, HPH is one of the few that isn't and to top it off, it's on one of the best beaches on Maui (Kamaole II). There is a high-rise and a low-rise bldg on the premises. Try and get a ground-floor unit in the low-rise if you can and you will witness fabulous sunsets and be just a few steps from the beach!

Re: April in Maui?

by Roadquill

Kihei has the most sun and is the driest. However, be sure you stay no further West than the 3 Makaole Beaches. I prefer to stay in Kihei, but as close to Wailea as possible. Another beachfront we like is the Hale Hui Kai. I personally stay at the Best Western a few doors down from Hale Hui Kai. The Best Western is right on the beach, but is more of a motel than a hotel, and rather spartan. However, the prices are often very good where the manager runs daily specials of $110 per night for a room 30 yards from the beach. Karl

Comments