Maui Sunseeker

Official Site Orbitz.com Expedia.com

More about Maui Sunseeker

Best Location in Maui

by TripAdvisor Member HowieInnMaui

I was apprehensive at first after reading the bad reviews, but I’m glad I forged ahead and did not listen to someone being negative. I almost went with one of those big resorts that are gobbling up Hawaii by the minute. The Maui Sunseeker/ Wailana Inn was just right with sixteen rooms on the property. The room was large with an extremely comfortable King bed. The shower was marble with slate accents, which had great water pressure and plenty of HOT water. The beach is four miles long, leave your shoes in your room at walk bare footed! Return in time to share a terrific sunset view with your new friends on the rooftop. While it is true that there is a for sale sign, what the other person forgot to state was that every other surrounding property also has a for sale sign up. It is not a reflection of the owners or service, but one of changing times in Hawaii. Feel free beside the sea and experience The Maui Sunseeker/ Wailana Inn for yourself.

Excellent value!

by TripAdvisor Member ChestGuy

We just checked out today after a great 3 day stay at the Maui Sunseeker. The room was super clean and very comfortable with a breathtaking view of the sea just 30 feet or so from the front door of our room. We could see both the West Maui Mountains and the islands of Lanai and Kahoolawe. The sunset views on the front porch are to die for!

You get free wi fi that works great in your room as in addition to the computers on the property next to the hot tub on the clothing optional upper deck. The owners are very friendly and will make sure you have a good time. The location at the beginning of Kihei Road on the North end of Kihei is perfect for easy access to the major attractions. There is also many good restaurants, shops, and stores, just a few minutes to the South.

While staying in great comfort at the Maui Sunseeker we enjoyed the beauty of Maui and fell in love again!

This is where I'll stay on Maui from now on!

by TripAdvisor Member ppalmer21

I was on business in Maui just over a week ago. The hotel that I was scheduled to present at could not accommodate me for the three nights that I wished to stay on the island, so I looked around for an alternative. Although I should be primarily considered a straight female, I am in my personal life a strong advocate for the rights of individuals. (Translated- I love gay people and want to support their cause!) So, I saw "Maui Sunseeker- A Gay Resort" proudly advertised. I checked out the webpage, and saw that the resort is adult only, but could tell if it was also GLBT only. So, I called. I had the pleasure of speaking to Michael. He said, "We like to call ourselves 'straight friendly'." With that, I was SOLD!
I stayed in the penthouse. In one word: FABULOUS! When I arrived, Michael took me up to my "home". They had not forgotten a detail. The televisions were on to the Hawaii information channel, the lamps were on, everything was just so welcoming. I arrived at night, so I spent my first night on the 42' lanai with a nice bottle of wine and dipping my tired feet into the hot tub as I listened to the waves.
Because my trip was a long one and these nights were right in the middle, I was able to wash my clothes in the in room washer and dryer. (Even if you don't stay in the penthouse, there are coin-operated facilities on the property.) I did not have to work the next day, and could barely make myself leave my comfy place. I did some shopping late in the afternoon, and sadly missed the sunset. I did not realize until the next day that the beach in front of my lanai is one of the best places to take in the sunset. (I'm attaching a picture.)
My room was clean, comfy, extravagant, and offered the best views of sunset one could probably find. In the mornings, I greeted the sun from my hot tub. As an eco-conscious traveler, I liked that there weren't tiny little bottles of shampoos and that the kitchen was stocked with dishes and cookware. Although I did not cook anything, I did use the corkscrew and wine glasses!
In addition to the fabulous room, the staff at the Maui Sunseeker made my stay absolutely terrific and my housing of choice on all future trips to Maui!

We enjoyed it!

by TripAdvisor Member MalachiWilliams

Firstly I would say that we found all the staff at the Maui Sunseeker to be very friendly, polite and helpful both before and during our stay.

Prior to arrival I had sent a few emails and they always wrote back and were always helpful.

Having come to Maui from a suite in a hotel in Honolulu we were initially surprised by the size of the Maui Sunseeker, the layout and the size of the rooms. This is not meant as a negative comment, but we were expecting something a little bigger.

That said we had a great time!

The Maui Sunseeker does not have a bar or restaurant, but they do have free internet and by the beach. They are on the South beaches at Kihei.

We did not rent a car, but would recommend it unless you are happy doing very little except sunbathing and walking. Alternatively you can pay for cabs or take your time with the local bus.

For us the Maui Sunseeker was more rustic and authentic and in keeping with the buildings in the area. Although the sundeck is clothing optional we found that this does not make it a sex club! Mostly people were out and about during the day and in the evening people only really used the hot tub late in the evening.

We stayed in Wailana room 11, which had a good view of the sea.

The staff kept the place clean and tidy and were always willing to help.

My only real disappoint with the room was the shower which was not that powerful.

The place is up for sale and this is bound to affect any thought of future investment by the current owners, so going forward it could understandably affect quality, but I am sure that the team will compensate with service!

We found a great place to eat at the Big Wave cafe about a mile up the road and we really enjoyed the Korean restaurant and sushi bar which was just a few doors away.

Take the opportunity to go for a snorkel and to see the turtles or dolphins by doing one of the organised tours. We went at the wrong time for the whales. We went with Pacific Whale Foundation.

We found the people of Hawaii to be friendly and helpful and social. Easy to chat with and keen to chat. We were nervous at first expecting to be 'sold' something, but is just not the case. Just warm and friendly people.

Finally we were impressed at how clean Hawai'i is and strongly recommend a visit regardless of where you chose to stay!

Great Location, OK resort, but lots of Drama and poor service.

by TripAdvisor Member SPEAK2ME_CT

We liked the location, the room, and the fact that this was a Gay Resort. The room was not luxurious, but clean upon arrival. There was a full kitchen and the upper deck hot tub area is nice as well. Our room had a private deck with a decent view of the beach/ocean and a side view of the center garden (although several power-lines between us and the beach slightly took away from the view).

Our stay was overshadowed by poor service and feuding between the owners. Additionally, one particular staff member (won't say his name, but it rhymes with ready) was quite UN-accommodating and had a very long list of unreasonable "rules" which he seemed to enjoy enforcing – none of these rules are what you would expect when staying at a resort that charges $250/night. Overall the staff was not interested in making our stay enjoyable.

The hotel has a for sale sign in front and we witnessed disagreements between the owners, managers, and staff. Staff and managers repeatedly put the guests in the middle of their disputes, rather than focusing on serving the hotel guest first. For example, one of the owners told me it was OK to leave our luggage in the office on the day of checkout and pick it up at 8PM as well as shower in the outdoor shower by the hot tub. The manager then told me it was impossible to leave luggage past 5PM regardless of what the owner told me. Then, we made arrangements with another guest to leave our luggage in their room instead (friends we made while there) and we were hassled over that as well -- the other guest offered us one of their spare keys to get back in the room, but the manager confiscated the key stating it is never allowable for one guest to have a key to another guest's room, even though he gave it to us and it was only for a 4-hour period before our flight. Another time this same staff member gave us a hard time for taking hotel towels to the beach which is literally across the street.

Additionally, the maid quit during our stay so we did not have any maid service one of the days even after complaining. The days following the maid service was poor.

If you really want a gay “resort” this is your only choice on the island, and they seem to know it. Personally, when going back to Maui I would look for a Gay bed & breakfast instead (will consider staying here again if the property sells to new owners and gets new management).

Unbelievable place

by TripAdvisor Member SirAndrew

I simply don't understand any of the negative comments I've seen from some writers. I guess an angry, nasty queen is going to be an angry, nasty queen even when on holiday.

I've stayed at this hotel many times during my visits to Maui and have never had an experience that even borders on anything less than wonderful. The staff has always been heplful and caring. And the rooms are large, clean, comfortable and pleasantly designed and decorated. I particularly enjoy the clothing-optional rooftop with its large whirlpool and computer room. And I've made great use of the rooftop massage room; the staff has always arranged a massage for me with one of the excellent on-call masseurs as soon as I request it.

The hotel is convenient to all the things I enjoy doing on Maui, such as Little Beach and the Maui Ocean Center aquarium, and ait's near my favorite restaurants, especially the divine Stella Blues.

I suspect that anyone who has not enjoyed their stay here will not enjoy any other hotel where there is a friendly, caring staff and amenities designed for the special needs of a discerning gay clientele.

Great

by TripAdvisor Member CicelyC

I enjoyed my stay at the Sunseeker. We stayed in the Wailana section and had a great ocean view. The room was spacious and very clean with more amenities than most places. I can't imagine anyone being disappointed. The location was great also. Very close to everything. The road was busy during the day butnot at night. The concierge service was exceptional. Even though many activities we were interested in were booked, they managed to get us in. The staff was very helpful with recommendations.

Sunseeker is a fun place

by TripAdvisor Member steve25430

We stayed in room 101 for 6 nights and had no problems.
Eddie was vey helpful and steered us towards some
grea restaurants. He also gives a great massage.
My only gripe was that the mattress was not firm enough.

Steve and Jeff
Middleway Wv

The Sunseeker deserves many return visits

by TripAdvisor Member FromHereToEternity

We were very happy with our stay at the Sunseeker. The room was excellent, bed comfortable, very clean... the gardens around the site are lush and well kept. There is a main road separating the hotel from the beach but it is 2-lane and not hard to cross. The landscaping is such to keep the road from view and emphasize the beach and ocean view beyond. There is a big rooftop deck with great views and a hot tub and shower. Offstreet parking is fine. When we were there one of the owners was onsite and was extremely helpful with advice about places to go and handling our needs. We would return again.

Great Owner's Suite

by TripAdvisor Member lowellp

We spent 12 lovely days in the owner's suite over the Thanksgiving holiday and would recommend it to anyone. The suite is very spacious and comfortable. The suite is appointed with lovely furniture and artwork, leaving you with the feeling that you are in a home and not a hotel room.The large kitchen is fully equipped with anything you could need to prepare snacks or full meals (as well as a washer and dryer, which came in very handy). We hosted a small sunset party while there and found the owner's suite terrific for hosting. The ocean view from the large patio is unparalled and the sunset views are striking.

Eddie and Michael were very gracious hosts and were accomodating to any need that we had. This was our fifth stay at the hotel, but our first stay in the owner's suite. We can't wait to go back.

Reastaurant on the beachReastaurant on the beach

Comments