Sugar Beach Resort Condos

More about Sugar Beach Resort Condos

Maui 2008

by GrandBrady about Sugar Beach Resort 2008

Warning- They are doing renovations
You may be annoyed by the noise.

We have been staying there for the last 3 or 4 trips and really like the place. Each room is individually owned .
Great pool and hot tub with view of shoreline.
Within steps of the water on a beautiful beach.
Gas grills for cooking your evening meal as the sun sets.

Loved Sugar Beach

I just got back from Maui (Aug 21-28), and I couldn’t be more pleased with the Sugar Beach Resort. I had an ocean front room and the view was beautiful; I was surprise how calm the waters were. The bed was super comfy and the room spacious and very clean. It did seem to get pretty windy at night, but it helped keep me cool. The only problem I had with the trip was some of the activities I went on. I would have enjoyed more relaxation at the resort. Here’s my review of some of the activities I went on.

Road trip to Hana: Ekahi Tours
Do the trip to Hana yourself. You can get a tour guide and/or CD at Wal-mart or a gift store and just drive the road yourself. The trip was too rushed for me and they didn’t stop at the Seven Sacred Pools because everyone wanted to get to the winery before it closed, except me. I really wished I didn’t go on this tour.

Sunrise and Bike ride down Volcano: Maui Mountain Cruisers
I enjoyed this activity the most. The sunrise part wasn’t that great because it was extremely cold and the wind was blasting in my face every time I looked at it so for the most part I stood with my back facing the sun. It was freezing up there. But things got better with the bike ride down.

Maui and Molokai Explorer: Sunshine Helicopter tours
For the money I didn’t really enjoy this. I wouldn’t recommend this to anyone. It was almost like watching scenery on the discovery channel. The video me and my wife bought of our tour was awful.

Molokini cruise: Quicksilver
I didn’t enjoy this either. The snorkeling at one of the Bays in West Maui was much better (I don’t know quite how to spell it but I think it was Honolua Bay). Plus, we went to Turtle Island and I saw one turtle and that was hard enough to find, most others saw none. Of course this is not the boat trip’s fault, but still, I would have rather went snorkeling at the bay again.

Sand, Surf and Whale Song

by amambaw about Sugar Beach

We stayed at a condominium complex rented by my family in Kihei. The rooms are all individually furnished, and it is the responisbility of the owners to keep the rooms updated. As a result, some rooms are quite nice and up-to-date, while others have older, worn-out furniture. Jesse and I were lucky enough to get a well-kept room, but my parents ended up with a room that needed a new bed, a new refridgerator, and some new plumbing!

The employees at Sugar Beach are very helpful. When my parents were having problems with their fridge and their bathtub, the maintenance guys came right away to fix it up. Also, the woman in charge of recreation was quite helpful, and recommended great sites and activities to us and others we talked to at the resort.

The amenities were nice: A/C in all the rooms, washer/dryer, kitchenettes, clean pool and jacuzzi.

The biggest problem with this location is that because it is a condo complex, you can not change rooms if you are dissatisfied with the one you have. As a result, you can get stuck with less than comfortable accomodations. The best feature of this accomodation was it's central location. Being in Kihei is the best. Everything is 20-40 minutes away (except for Hana, of course).

Another neat thing was that we saw Humpback Whales everyday. Sugar Beach is perfectly situated for whale sightings!

Trip of a lifetime!

My husband and I spent 7 days at Sugar Beach Resort and we were very pleased with our digs. Great location, 25 feet from the beach and our neighbors were peaceful and friendly. The apartment was just average in appearance but that's not what we cared about anyway. We surfed in Kihei learning from Al at Waveriders and rode bikes down Haleakala through the Haleakala Bike Company. Both were enjoyable. We wanted to see the sunrise at the summit of Haleakala but it didn't work out due to the weather (rainy, windy and foggy). Be aware that it's a gamble. We highly recommend Sugar Beach Resort to anyone who will listen.

Very enjoyable stay!

We stayed at Sugar Beach Resort for our 1st trip to Maui. We had read previous reviews from some that it smelled bad, and had midge fly problems because of the nearby pond, but none of this occured the week of August 1st-8th. We were assured from the condo booking agency that these problems were minor, and most times of the year would not be noticable.
They were right! We were in an oceanfront room, with the waves just 40 feet from out lanai. The sound of the waves was soothing, and drifting off to sleep listening to them is heaven. We spent 2 of our precious days just watching the waves and spending time on the beach.
The condo was newly updated, very well appointed with supplies, beach items, and lots of towels.
Sugar beach is quiet, and centrally located on the island. It was a short drive to anywhere on the island that we wanted to go. We are already planning our next trip to Maui, and will be staying at Sugar Beach Resort!

Can't wait to go back!

This was our fourth visit to Sugar Beach. You can't get a better location for the price. We were there from Oct.24 to Nov.4th. The weather was great, although the Trade Winds were gustier than on any of our previous visits, and it made snorkelling more difficult; you had to get out really early in the morning or the water was too rough to see anything. Nevertheless, we had a great vacation. We have stayed in four different units, two have been excellent and two fair. When you book thru a travel agent with a package deal, you pretty much have to take what you get, although if you really don't like the room you can ask if there's anything else available, but often there isn't for your specific dates. Best to book direct and ask for an upgraded unit, or if you've been there before you can ask for a specific unit. We always stay in Ocean front units; they are the best. You're only metres away from the surf and the lanais are very private (floors 2 - 6). We previously stayed in the Plantation Bldg. and this time in the Mill Bldg, unit #333 which is upgraded and very comfortable. For some reason, we prefer Plantation, but that's a personal preference. We love Kihei because it's so central to everywhere on the island. Uloa and Wailea Beaches are great for swimming and snorkelling,but go early morning if you want good snorkelling. Find Sugar Beach Resorts online and look up the current specials. We got a free rental car and a $50 Grocery coupon with our booking. You can have a wonderful relaxing vacation, right on the beach, with a newly-renovated good-sized pool with lots of lounges, and a 1/2 dozen BBQs where you can chat with other residents and swap stories of places to go and favorite restaurants etc.,while you cook your evening meal; and then there's a nice hot tub to finish off the day. I highly recommend Sugar Beach Resort. We will definitely be back again.

Awesome Family Week!

Just back from a GREAT week at Sugar Beach Nov. 4 - 11, 2004. My husband and I have been to Maui several times, and this was our first stay at Sugar Beach. I had read mixed reviews (more positive than negative) but I picked it over some others because it appeared to suit all our needs, and when we got there IT DID! We wanted to be ocean front (we stayed on the ground level, which is key for us), there is a beautiful lawn area with tall palm trees and lounges, and literally the beach is 25 feet from the lanai. The surf is not still, but not crashing so hard that the children could not enjoy it. People were out in the ocean enjoying it, but it was not over run with swimmers. Very good body-surfing. The beach is great for walking (a couple of miles in both directions). The pool is nice size - not huge. There is a small, but super children's pool, and a good sized Jacuzzi. All very clean. There is a lovely BBQ area that gets a lot of use, which is fun at night, as it is a cocktail social spot, mostly for the men! The BBQ's are spotless, as they are scoured and cleaned every morning. Our condo was nicely appointed with dishes, appliances, washer/dryer and linens. Our two boys, ages 4 and 8 slept together on the fold out couch. They were so wiped out having been active all day, that they fell into bed by 8:30p. The SandWitch Shop is GREAT, and is more than a deli. It's a family friendly bar/restaurant with the BEST nachos I've had - and we're experts. There is an activity center as well as a General Store and small spa. There is a Farmer's Market every M W F in the afternoon just up the road. The location is close to Kehei, but not IN Kehei, and it's close to Lahaina, Wailia, and Pai'ia. The other people staying at Sugar Beach were extremely friendly and nice. We had heard that Sugar Beach was very windy, but it was not while we were there. There was a healthy tropical breeze in the afternoon, but that is not unusual in Hawaii. We enjoyed EVERY DAY of our week's stay, and we're booking again for next year.

Wonderful Place

Just returned from Sugar Beach. What a wonderful place. Stayed in room 534 over looking the ocean. What a nice beach. Watch out for rocks in water. Rocks are every where in Maui. Pool was heated and very clean. So were the grills. The room was a little small but very nice. It had everything you needed and was very clean. Did not like activity world down stairs to book anything. If you book anything go to the place at the front desk. Need to know anything ask Sixto(man at front desk) He is very nice and will help you in anyway he can. JUST ASK. If you have small kids McDonalds right down the way and so is Taco Bell. Have a WONDERFUL VACATION I know I did.

Wonderful Maui

We stayed in Sugar beach Condo 525 and it was very clean and updated. We had a daily maid service and everything from beach towels to boogie boards in our room. Just ask for a updated room when you book it with your travel agent. We got married and had our honeymoon in Maui. Snorkeling is awesome in Maui. Just go around the black rocks. The weather was perfect and the people were friendly. Must go to a Luau and visit various beaches, because they are all different. The clearity of the water in front of our condo wasn't good, but the beach and water was beautiful to look at and walk on. Just drive 15 min. to very clear, beautiful beaches. The only thing that I had trouble finding was a decent place to eat for the price. We ended up eating a lot of fast food at the end of our trip. So, you can eat cheap if you want to in Maui. Everything else in Maui was perfect. Must go back!

Be careful of the unit you get

We rented a one bedroom ocean view from Maui Condo and Home Rental. The resort is attractive, the grounds are nice and the beach is awesome. The inside of the unit was not nice. It was poorly decorated and smelled musty. We called the Agency and they told us that it was an upgraded unit. They showed us another that was barely acceptable. The carpets were stained, the walls dirty, the towels were ragged. We were very disappointed. The only other solution was to upgrade to an oceanfront unit that was lovely. The only problem was they wanted $20 more a night. We decided to stay put and they did refund some money. They need to make the owners more responsible. This is Hawaii not the Jersey shore.
People come from far away and expect to get nice accomodations. We won't stay here again.

Sugar Beach Resort

by Nordenger

We are going to Maui in Oct. and staying at Sugar Beach Resort and am wondering how the location is and things to do nearby and if resort is nice?

Re: Sugar Beach Resort

by travelgourmet

Aloha, great ocean views and great walking beach but narrow, not a deep beach. Sunset is right in front of you. Located central for all of Maui, with Lahiana (Kaanapali) and Paia (Road to Hana), opposite in distance. Nearby,is the first place I go after landing in Maui at Kahalui, Buzz's Wharf. Get in the mood for Hawaii at Buzz's with a Mai Tai and coconut shrimp overlooking the Ma'alaea Bay Harbor, near Kihei. The resort hotels and shopping plaza at Makena are down the road from the Sugar Beach Resort. Also close by is the must see Maui Ocean Center with the walk through tunnel in a tropical fish full tank. Also I'ao Needle rock with a picture perfect river nearby in the I'ao Valley and even the top of Haleakala are close by, well, Haleakala is close but a long drive. Maui, overall, is not that big, so with a rental car, you can get anywhere in a reasonable time, except the Road to Hana. A beautiful drive, but 2 1/2 hours one way from Paia to the Seven Sacred Pools. Gas up the car before attempting this drive. Again, beauty of Maui is No Ka Oi, the best.

Re: Sugar Beach Resort

by HarmoniousBotch

While the resort itself may be good ( don't know; never stayed there ) it is in the cheaper suburbs of Kihei. As a general rule, the higher the address along Kihei road, the better the neighborhood.

One of the things that makes your chosen neighborhood less than ideal is that highway 31 is rather close to the beach, thus all lodging may have problems with road noise. If you go a bit further south, around 1000 south Kihei or further, the highway is about 1/2 mile inland, and lodging is usually quieter. Also, the further south you get, the less traffic is on Kihei road.

Also, I recommend staying at places with even-numbered addresses. Odd numbers are on the inland side of Kihei rd.

Restaurants will mostly be in 'downtown' Kihei ( about 1200-1400 Kihei rd ). For fine dining, try Sorrento's abot 3 miles south, or Mama's fish house over near Paia.
For beaches, Kam 1, Kam 2, and Kam 3 are about 2 miles south. 'Turtle Town' is accessible from Makena Landing about 5 miles south.

For more details, check my Maui page at: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/51ebe/506/

sugar beach

by merri543

Can you swim or body surf or wade out at least on sugar beach at the Sugar Beach Resort

Re: sugar beach

by YVRDave

Yes. There is great wind surfing out in the bay also. It can get windy there too

Re: sugar beach

by dengay

Sugar Beach is BY FAR the nicest beach in North Kihei. It's long, wide and not many people. There is also good snorkeling about 50 yards out along the reef.

3 hour OGG layover

by beiningen

Four of us are getting into OGG @11:35 am on a Saturday the end of April. Our Kona flight leaves @ 2:34 that same day. Any suggestions? Do we have time to leave the airport? I love Sugar Beach in Kihei and the Maui Ocean Center. The other couple has never been to Maui but not sure if we should just bring a book for the three hours.

by Roadquill

Paia is only about 20 minutes (probably less) away by taxi.

by travelgourmet

Aloha. Let us just do a few numbers. Arrive 11:35am, rent a car, add 20 minutes, now almost 12 noon. You can drive to the Sugar Beach, Maui Ocean Center or the Iao Needle add 40 minutes roundtrip, now 12:40, should be back for flight out by say 1 hour before flight time, but the car must be returned so add 20 minutes. So you have the flight at 2:34 but back an hour and 20 minutes earlier, leaving you 35 minutes to do what, Park the car, get out stretch or go the bathroom and then back to the airport. Why not just go to the nearest bar at the interislands terminal and relax? It's Stinger Ray's Bar & Grill but the only good food is the pulled pork. But, hey pulled pork is Hawiian. $$$

by Odinnthor

Not much you can add to that! Glad I read it before writing a similar response. Do what Larry said and get some kalua pig at Stinger Rays'.......anything else would be just pupule.......d:o)
Aloha nui loa......

by Hasidmaui

Definetively lunch at Bistro Casanova is the best way to enjoy a couple of hours next to Kahului Airport. Only two miles away, you can walk there or take a short taxi ride. Enjoy.

by Odinnthor

The above is just a today joining one timer, advertising his new restautant. Don't fall for such obvious tout.

Comments