Aston Mahana at Kaanapali

110 Kaanapali Shores Place, (formerly ResortQuest), Lahaina, Hawaii, 96761, United States
Booking.com Expedia.com AstonHotels.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Aston Mahana at Kaanapali

Resortquest Mahana Unit1219 is a Nightmare!

by heat1968 about Resortquest Mahana Lahaina Hi

With respect to the Mahana, this review is only about the deplorable conditions of UNIT 1219, in what the owner calls the Penthouse Suite with authentic Hawaiian décor!

I booked through the VRBO site, and read the comments. Knowing they were old reviews, a lot can happen in a year if the owner does not take proper care, or in this case, the owners management Co who has been ripping him off!

CONS
I double pillow cased my pillow, I saw how the extras, were full of slobber/sweating stains! Here is just a sampling of the shabby conditions!
Main bedroom:
Light fixtures above the main bathroom sink were full of bugs (shows shabby house cleaning or infrequent) Loose ceiling light fixture in toilet area, loose faucet handle in shower.
Guest bedroom:
Stained curtains and luckily I had a safety pin, to pin them closed. I didn’t even want to lay on the beds! The box springs covering was ripped and hanging on floor, floor was filthy
Living area:
Ripped chair, other chairs just looked dirty, worn and very out dated. A lamp sits on top of a stereo??? TV sits on some huge antique buffet of some sort? Curtains are pinned up. A beautiful chandelier over the table is in desperate need of cleaning. Again, all floors were filthy! My feet were black 5 minutes upon arriving and that was BEFORE I went out on the lanai! (Outdated old patio furniture there too)
Kitchen:
Lots of dishes and utensils to use, but were just a mix match of stuff and when I opened the cabinets. We could tell no activity has been around there for awhile!

Remember this is only about UNIT 1219. I've stayed at the Resortquest Mahana (formally known as an Aston property) three tims and have had awesome accomodations!
SOMEONE needs to get these private owners to adhere to some kind of quality standards!
I am trying to review on as many sites as I can to warn people from the same disaster we encountered. Can't seem to get it on the Resortquest site, some kinda internal problems??

My 40th wedding anniversary would have been totally ruined had it not been for the abundance of whale watching from the condo, and awesome whale watch tour we took! That's one of the main reasons we travel during later part of Feb - Mar. PROS
The ONLY thing this place has going for it is the AWESOME view, but the Mahana has nothing but ocean view units anyway.

The Mahana

The Mahana was a very nice resort, right on the ocean and all rooms have a spectacular ocean front view - the full glass wall in the front helps really makes the room. There were two drawbacks worth mentioning - our bed in room 318 was awful - we ended up sleeping on the sofabed which was suprisingly comfortable. Also, the central air was very loud making it difficult to sleep. Otherwise the room was terrific, the views and location spectacular.

For Long Stays, Rent a Condo

by deecat about The Mahana on Kaanapali Beach

While in Maui, Hawaii, we stayed in a privately-owned Condominium that we rented from a classified advertisement in The Chicago Tribune.

The Condo was located on the third floor of the Mahana on Kaanapali Beach. It was a luxury condominium resort on five acres of lush landscape. There was a beautiful 3-mile stretch of beach along with an ocean-front, heated swimming pool, lighted tennis courts, a sauna, shuffle board, and a BBQ area.

We were amazed at how close our condo was to the beach. If you were watching TV, you had to close the sliding glass door in order to hear because the roar of the ocean was so loud. Isn't that wonderful.

The Mahana was convenient to all of our excursions. Best of all, it was only ten minutes away from Lahaina. Many a time, I walked the beach to other outlandishly expensive hotels to our left. They were fun to explore and to have a drink at their bar.

Our apartment had a washer/dryer, cable TV with VCR and stereo system. The kitchen was small but quite complete. The bathroom was wonderful as was the lanai.

We truly enjoyed our month at the Mahana on Kaanapali Beach in Maui. The best feature was the proximity to the beach. Each day I would walk the beach because of this convenience. In addition, the heated pool was also excellent and never crowed.

Perhaps the best feature was the lanai, where I drank my morning cup of coffee and watched the whales frolic in the ocean.

Nirvana at the Mahana

My wife and I just returned from a "last minute" vacation to Maui. We stayed at the Mahana for 9 nights in a studio (rm 312) and absolutely loved it! Based on all the positive reviews I went in with cautiously high expectations - those expectations were exceeded! I won't claim the Mahana is for everyone - if you're looking for "glitz & glamour" you'll not find it here. If you're looking for very nice condos RIGHT ON THE BEACH for a reasonable price you'll love it. The snorkelling just 100 meters down the beach is some of the best I've seen in years (and yes I've snorkeled some of the best spots around the world) - my wife and I saw many sea turtles, eels and the usual assortment of coral and fishes. I'd like to thank everyone else who spent the time to write their reviews on the Mahana. It's thanks to you that my wife and I took a chance on the Mahana and are planning on going back soon.....

Magical views from Mahana

by TripAdvisor Member Iuli

We have stayed on Maui several times & after staying at the Mahana several years back, it is the only place we stay. We love having a fully equipped condo with AC & Washer & dryer. We spent many evenings grilling by the pool & meeting some wonderful folks doing the same. It is defnitely not a pampering hotel type place, but for the independent traveler, it's perfect. Some of the condos are dated & not very desirable, but just let the staff know & they will move you to a better unit if space is available. We stayed in studio 1213 ( top floor ) and it was lovely with a new kitchen & lovely tropical decor. We will return for a month this summer.(2004) Can hardly wait. Coffee & breakfast on the lanai with a spectacular view of Lanai & Molokai is a fabulous start to every day there.

We Would Definitely Stay at the Mahana Again!

by TripAdvisor Member BarbiJKM

We just returned from a week on Maui and stayed at the Aston Mahana in room 208. Unlike the poster before us, our one-bedroom suite was GORGEOUS, beautifully decorated, with new shiny appliances, and every possible amenity! We loved everything about it! The view is incredible, and takes your breath away the first time you enter the suite! All the suites that we saw (through open doorways as housekeeping was busy) were beautifully appointed, and because of the layout of the building, every room has an incredible oceanfront view right off the beach. The staff was friendly! The beach directly in front of the property has some coral under the water, so best to walk to the left a bit down the beach for a nice sandy beach, quiet and private. We watched whales and sea lions romp right from our spacious patio (lanai). We've been going to Maui for 14 years, and are familiar with other properties, but THIS is the place we will go back to again next time! We highly recommend it!

Loved it

My husband and I just got back from our first visit to Maui and we absolutely loved the Mahana. Although it is a bit older than some of the new condos popping up everywhere, you can't beat the views and location. We booked the studio room, which was plenty for 2 people. The value of this property is unbeatable. Some resorts charge excessive amounts for much less than what you get at the Mahana. Parking is free, which is a plus. I would definitely recommend this place to family and friends, and we will be going back!!

Honey Mooners that enjoy Maui

We enjoyed the Aston Mahana. The decor was nice. This is literally an ocean front hotel. We could here the ocean with the doors closed. We were on the 4th floor and the view was spectacular. The beach was very nice. We especially enjoyed the living room. It is a quiet place to stay. Everything in the room functioned well. The property grounds are beautiful. I would definitely recommend this condominium to others. In fact, we would stay there again.

Dave at Royal Hawaii condo

We stayed at the Mahana at Kanapali. Great Oceanfront condo at a great price. We also booked a rental car through Dave at a great rate. You may get a 2 for 1 luau. If you want to stand in a long line for a Hollywood version of a luau, use the certificate. Otherwise I would skip it. Its only really worth about what you pay with the certificate. Make sure to leave a whole day to do the road to Hana. Drive up to the 7 sacred pools and do the stops on the way down. You really don't want to be on the one lane bridges after dark if you can avoid it. If you like fish make sure to get some fresh fish at the local market and grill it (by the pool). Fantastic!

Beautiful sunsets and views!

We stayed in our friends 4th floor unit in Oct '03 after a week in Kauai while on our honeymoon. When we opened the wind door and saw the views through the living room picture window and from the lanai off the bedroom it took our breath away. The sunsets were unbelievable. It appeared to be mostly middle aged couples like ourselves, but thats ok.
We weren't looking for a frat house atmosphere. Fully equipped kitchenette and washer/dryer made this a great home base for all our activities, and we did it all! A romantic sunset dinner on the lanai cooked on the community grills was a nice break from the restaurant scene. Walk the ocean front shops a few miles south, I think it's Front St.? Only drawback was the beach. A 2 minuet walk to the left had an area with a very quiet public beach for better swimming and snorkeling.
We WILL go back!

Tennis Courts at The MahanaTennis Courts at The Mahana

Baldwin HomeBaldwin Home

Maui Kai and Mahana condos

by H&M

My fiance and I are getting married in Maui in June 2005. We are planning to stay at the Maui Pirnce resort for 3 nights and at a decent and affordable jr. suite condo for another 6 nights. We have narrowed down into 2 places which we think are decent and affordable: Maui Kai 9th floor or Mahana condo 11th floor. We both have never been in Hawaii before and have a difficult time to decide which condo we should stay for our honeymoon. The rate we are offered for six nights in Mahana is a couple hundred more expensive than the rate offered from Maui Kai. Any adivse will be appreciated.

Re: Maui Kai and Mahana condos

by travelgourmet

Both of these condo hotels are right on the ocean front, but the Kaanapali you may be thinking of is about 3 miles south of these locations. The actual "Well KnownResort" area of Kaanapali starts at the Sheraton Maui and goes south past the Whaler's Village to the Maui Marriott, all connected by a walking path. The closest thing to this area is the El Dorado Condos or the Cottages at the Royal Lahaina Resort, both next door to the Sheraton, but on the other side of the Black Rock. The Maui Kai and the Mahana are up the road , still lovely and still Kaanapali, just not walking distance to the Whaler's Village, if that is what you are looking for. Aloha

Mahana condos in Maui

by H&M

We are planning to spend our honeymoon in Mahana condos. Does higher floor provide better view or they are all the same? For example: 6th v.s 12th floor.

Thank you in advance for your inputs.

Re: Mahana condos in Maui

by travelgourmet

I once stayed nearby at the Aston Kaanapali Shores. I saw the Mahana and it looked nice. The sixth floor could be having a view problem with the palms out front, depending on the unit you rent. On the twelveth floor the sound of the ocean will be a little quieter, but once you close the door you can't hear it anyway. the only downside to the area, is that there is a reef that starts right away, so the sandy bottom doesn't go out too far. Jellyfish are common in this area during certain times of the year, so bring along a bottle of meat tenderizer in case you get stung. That's what the hospital in Lahaina used on my son for jellyfish sting. Overall a good area for going to either Kapalua or Kaanapali Whalers Village or Lahaina. Hu'omaika'i'ana (congratulations). Aloha oe

Comments