138 Awaiku St., Lahaina, Hawaii, 96761, United States

Costs 43% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Ho'oilo House

Loved the Hoolio House

by TripAdvisor Member jule3913

I came across the Hoolio house while looking on TripAdvisor when I was planning our trip to Hawaii. This was our first time to stay at at Bed and Breakfast and it was wonderful. Would defintely come back again! Their webside is everything it says it is. The home was beautiful and furnished with a polynesian, thailand decor. We had beautiful views with the ocean in front and the mountains behind. We stayed in the Kipuka Suite and the accommodations were wonderful. The bed was very comfortable and the outdoor shower was awesome. Aveda products were supplied in the bathroom/shower area. I booked our vacation around the availability of this B & B and at the time we could travel ,only 2 nights were available so we booked it! The hosts Dan & Amy were wonderful. Dan gave us some helpful info as far as restaurants, golf, etc. The place was very relaxing and very romantic. The sunsets are just beautiful! Would defintely come back on our next visit to Maui! The remainder of our stay while in Maui was 6 nights at the Sheraton Maui Resort on Kaanapali Beach.

Wonderful!

by TripAdvisor Member KCEngland

My husband and I stayed at Ho'oilo House for five nights in February and it was one of the the most lovely places we have ever stayed. I can confirm that any problems there may have been were well and truly resolved when we were there; I wasn't aware of any issues. The room was left impeccably each day and we received fresh supplies of their wonderful soaps and aveda products every day. The rooms were furnished beautifully and it was a struggle to leave each morning to explore Maui! Dan was really helpful and friendly and there was a great atmosphere to the whole place. I would recommend this place to anyone and sincerely hope we will be able to return one day.

Perfect anniversary

by TripAdvisor Member Sandienyc

We considered several resorts on Maui while looking for accommodations for our upcoming trip to Maui. Ho’oilo House was the perfect choice for our 10 year anniversary- quiet and peaceful, impeccably decorated, elegance at every turn. 10 years ago we had visited Maui on our honeymoon and knew that we wanted to return, previously we stayed at The Four Seasons and toured other resorts such as The Grand Wailea- during this trip we visited these resorts to use the spas and restaurants and were so happy to be returning to the peaceful tranquility of The Ho’oilo House. If you are traveling with children or looking for lots of action around the pool then Ho’iolo House is probably not for you. As parents of 2 small children we wanted to really “get away” from it all and found this B&B provided just that type of environment. The Ho’iolo House has 6 rooms, set on the side of one of Maui’s picturesque mountains and just literally 2 minutes from the beach (if that speed bump was not there it might be more like one minute).

As I’m sure you have already read the house is done in a Balinese style with Hawaiian accents, the pictures do not do this place justice, the attention to detail is amazing down to the unique catches on the window screens. We stayed 5 nights in the Wailele suite, one of the larger rear facing suites. I really agonized over room choice as we booked far in advance and had our choice of rooms (you will need to book in advance for Ho’oilo House) What to choose- a larger read facing suite with mountain view or the smaller front facing room with ocean view- I must say that I think you cannot go wrong with any of the rooms. The rooms can be thought of as rear facing (Wailele, Kipuka) and side facing (Nonu, Akala Manu) and front facing (Nalu, Kohola)- hopefully I have this sequence correct- there really should be a schematic on the website with a floor plan. We choose the rear facing and although there is really very little view- a bit of the mountain we really preferred the privacy. The front facing rooms have their showers (all rooms have outdoor showers) in view of the pool area where people are having breakfast in the morning. If you are not shy (we did see one gentleman having a shower in the morning) than this will not bother you- breakfast is served from 8-10 so I suppose you could work your shower around this schedule- we however were happy to have a rear facing shower (all the shower walls are high and only your head will stick out regardless of the room). If you are not shy then the front facing room will reward you with a view of the ocean while you take your shower- heavenly! As for views, no matter what room you have there are plenty of chairs and lounges around to sit and look at the view- you will not feel deprived. Our room, The Wailele has a glorious fountain next door and when the windows next to the bed were opened we had the delightful sound of running water- I believe that the Kipuka suite would have a similar effect.

During our stay the house was full and you would have never known it, we rarely saw other guests and the few times we used the pool we had it to ourselves. The innkeepers Dan and Amy were always helpful, gracious and never intrusive. I would say the The Ho’oilo House is a B&B that has the feel of a boutique hotel, we could never hear televisions or noise from any other room. The beds were heavenly and we had to drag ourselves out in the morning to go snorkeling (there are some excellent beaches for snorkeling just 5 minutes away). Negatives??? I really can’t think of any- my husband wished that there was some sort of bread available for breakfast (toast or something)- breakfast included juice, coffee, tea, muffins, cereal, granola, boiled eggs, oatmeal and fruit salad- for me if was enough. I’m not a coffee drinker but my husband also felt that the coffee was a bit weak- he wished it was stronger but I suppose that is a matter of personal preference. The mosquitoes do come out at night so bring some repellant, they provide some deet free repellant but I think you need the strong stuff for the Maui mosquitoes. I wish we had brought a small tea pot as it was hard to find tea/coffee after 9pm in Maui- there is a small refrigerator outside of the rooms so I could have kept some milk there for my late night fix. As you might be able to tell I’m really reaching to find some negatives.

My husband had brought a 10 year anniversary ring for me as a surprise, during our first few days he carried the ring with him in his backpack looking for the perfect time to give it to me- to the beach, at restaurants, etc… after 3 days of not finding just the right place or time he put the ring box on our breakfast tray and brought the tray to me while I sat in one of the chaise lounges looking at a view of the ocean-it was the perfect setting! The Ho’oilo House will remain with you long after you have left.

Amazing! The perfect place for a honeymoon!

by TripAdvisor Member brandynw5348

I found Ho'oilo House in Fordor's guide book and after reading the review I thought it sounded wonderful. Well it was more than wonderful! My husband and I stayed there for 5 nights beginning May 12, 2007 for our honeymoon. Our room was the Nalu room and it was so beautiful!

First let me say the location was perfect. It is right in the middle of the places you'll want to vist. Don't worry about the fact that it's not right on the beach. You literaly drive down the road and BAM, the beach! The views from the mountain side are outstanding, ocean, islands, etc... This is the view we had from our private patio and our very comfortable bed! You will not get these views if you stay on the ocean. The huge tub and outdoor shower was amazing! The layout of the rooms is so great that you easily forget there are other people there. You feel like you have your own little apartment.

The breakfast was good every morning and thank you Dan and Amy for constantly keeping the coffee running for me!

The pool was great to swim in and the views from every angle of the property were breath taking!

Dan and Amy were fantastic hosts. They were very private, but ready to pounce if you needed any help. Thank you Dan for the help with our last day in Honolulu!

The house and every thing about it was immaculate! You could have eatten off the floors (not that we did).

If you are going to Maui don't look any where else. TRUST ME! Everything about this place is what you need, want and have dreamed of. You will be wasting your money and experience if you go to any of the other places.

The Daubys...St. Louis, Missouri

Tranquil Perfection

by TripAdvisor Member scubadadSeattle

We came to Ho'oilo House to celebrate our 10 year anniversary. We are a couple in our thirties with 2 small children. We found Ho'oilo House on trip advisor. We had wrestled with staying at the Sheraton or the Ho'oilo House. We are so happy with our decision. For the quality of the room and the view, we found the Ho'oilo House a very good value. We stayed in the Honu room, our favorite! The location of the room seemed the most private while still giving us great views of the ocean from the foot of the bed, the lanai, and the bathroom. The room also has a king size bed that we found very comfortable. The breakfast was simple but very good. We loved eating breakast on our lanai every morning. The hosts are wonderful, they work so hard to make everything perfect! Parking is so easy and feels safe since it's in a nice residential area, a big plus in Maui! We are currently trying to find a bed and breakfast on the Big Island and nothing we have found is coming close to the quality of the Ho'oilo House. It amazes us that the Ho'oilo House rates #2 for Maui on trip advisor. It should be #1 in our opinion. We have stayed at many bed and breakfasts and this one has been the most amazing!

Perfect Honeymoon Destination

by TripAdvisor Member McBBride2007

This is an amazing 6 room bed and breakfast for couples. It's located
south of Lahaina in the hills of a really nice neighborhood. The furniture is beautiful, views stunning, and the outdoor showers are quite an experience! If I had to do it over I think we would stay in one of the mountain view rooms because they are supposed to be larger
with king size beds and a door to separate the toliet area. Overall, the perfect start to our honeymoon in Maui!!!

Perfect!

by TripAdvisor Member mee113

My husband and I spent a week at the Ho'oilo House in May and we couldn't have asked for more. The house and grounds were immaculate, the breakfast was delicious and the owners were gracious hosts. We spent a lot of time surfing at the beach at the bottom of the hill and found the location of the house to be perfect -- convenient to everything, yet feels very secluded.

We were married on the grounds of the Ho'oilo House at the beginning of our stay and I would recommend it to anyone looking for an intimate ceremony. We can't wait to return for our anniversaries!

Fabulous experience

by TripAdvisor Member LoveMyMountains

We spent four nights at the Ho'oilo House. The first two nights were marred by a brush fire that closed the road, but Dan took us down dirt roads at 10 pm to make it to the house the first night, and the second night they arranged lodging when we couldn't reach the b&b. This type of great service is one reason we like upscale b&b's.

Ho'oilo House is simply beautiful. Throw in the incredible views, and I don't think there's anywhere else I could have chosen to stay. If (hopefully When) we make it back to Maui, we'll be staying there again.

Sounds redundant but we LOVED it!

by TripAdvisor Member Jessica925

After reading everyone else's review, i feel foolish stating the obvious but the Ho'oilo House is phenomenal. My husband and I spent the second half of our 12 day honeymoon here and loved it. The quiet atmosphere is romantic and calming, and Dan and Amy's expert advice and recomendations help make your stay as pleasant as possible. The intimate setting is relaxing and beautiful.

A rare find

by TripAdvisor Member heymrrubel

As a rule, my wife and I check out of hotels unimpressed and sometimes even feeling a little victimized by the experience. Even in most of the "nice places" we've doled out hundreds of dollars per night for, the beds were sans cushion and the pillows were made from the lumps of coal the management got in their stockings each Christmas. Not so with the Ho'oilo House. We just returned from our first trip to Maui for our 25th anniversary and miss the place already. This despite a 2600 acre brush fire nearby that disrupted our travel plans temporarily--hey, what would vacation be without a little adventure? We have to echo the kind sentiments of the other reviews. This place is special on every level. To begin with, unique is an understatement to describe the architecture. Intricate detail abounds. If you're into craftsmanship, the structure defines it. The amenities are above and beyond. The beds and pillows...Goldilocks would have gone no further (we stayed in the Honu room, but other guests had similar comments). The location is convenient, but more importantly, quiet and picturesque. Don't overplan if you're staying at the Ho'oilo House; make sure to set aside time to simply sit by the pool. Drive into Lahaina and pick up some cheese and a bottle of wine and vegitate while the sun sets. If you don't like cheese and wine, get Cheetos and Hawaiian Punch...just take time to sit and wonder how anything could be more magnificent than that particular sunset on that particular evening. Most important are Dan and Amy, the hosts of all this--personable, helpful, competent, attentive, interesting, obliging and so on. Being a host is an art; Dan and Amy know how to ply it. Don't bother with the Ho'oilo House if you are incapable of appreciating what a rare package it is. Getting one's vacation money's-worth is important, but for those of us who value the quality of time spent, the first stay here won't be the last.

Comments