4299 Lower Honoapiilani Hwy, Lahaina, Hawaii, 96761, United States
Expedia.com Booking.com Tingo.com

More about Sands of Kahana

Very happy!

by TripAdvisor Member twinmom1292

Went with two other couples last week and we all thought the place was great. We had a 3b/3b and I was pleasantly surprised after reading some of the disappointing reviews. It was very clean, nothing looked worn out. It was great to have the kitchen and washer and dryer. We only cooked once, but it was great to have all the space. Ate in the rest. for breakfast 3 times and dinner once. Would not do dinner again, but breakfast was great. The staff was friendly and we had no complaints.

Sands of Kahana best value in West Maui

by TripAdvisor Member mauiguy

We just came back from a 18 day stay at our condo at the Sands of Kahana, and it is still as wonderful as ever. It continues to be the best value for a 2 bedroom/2 bath oceanfront condo per sq/ft. All 2 bedrooms are at least 1580 sq ft with 9 ft ceilings, full kitchen, dining & living room, and a private lanai. No having to say good morning to your neighbor.

Nice family orientated resort with 2 swimming pools with 1 for Kekei's (kids) that is only 2 ft deep. On site restaurant/bar with good food for the $$$. There are 5 restaurants within walking distance and even a McDonald's for the kids. Uncrowded beach, you can rent snorkeling equipment & kayaks on site, play volleyball, tennis or sharpen your putting skills.

Wonderful place to stay!!!

After reading some of the previous reviews, I was worried to return to the Sands. We bought a timeshare there three years ago and this is our first return back. I was hesitant going back given the poor reviews, but my fears quickly went away upon arrival at the Sands. Nothing about this place looked run down. This is by far (in my opinion) one of the best places to stay on Maui. Given all the amenities, it is a great value. Many other "timeshares", which can also be rented (Marriott, for example) do not have full kitchens or laundry. I went with my husband and son and I would not want to stay anywhere else. The convenience of the laundry and full kitchen are outstanding. The location is great and you have all the amenities of a great hotel, without all the hotel crowds. The place was clean, neat, and there are grounds keepers working constantly. I am unsure who could be disappointed with this place and after meeing and speaking with a number of guests, you would be hard pressed to find someone who was disappointed with their stay. My only complaint was the pool was a bit cold, but that quickly subsides given the weather there. I would highly recommend this place!!

Awesome restraunt!!

by TripAdvisor Member bunte2000

We stayed at the Royal Kahana, a couple doors down & we came to the Sands of Kahana several times for breakfast. This was our MOST FAVORITE breakfasts we have EVER had. You MUST try the Tall stack of Combo pancakes. It is a combo of Pineapple, Banana, & macadamia nut pancakes. Oh my gosh!!!! So great!!!! Then they top it with fresh whipped cream & crushed Macadamias!! Ummmm, yummy. Also must get the seafood omelete. My hubby & I would order the Omelete & the Pancakes & share, our server would even divided our meals up for us! SOK a must for breakfast!!

A very nice stay

by TripAdvisor Member member6424

There were 4 adults in our party. We stayed there because a friend/owner could not use their week of the timeshare. I don't know why but we were upgraded from a 2br to a beautiful "penthouse" on the top floor. It was clean, spacious with a fantastic view of the channel and whales! The king bedroom was the loft and more great views. The other (2 doubles) was tucked away with doors closing it off so it was like our own little suite. Everyone had privacy. W/D unit was great. Kitchen cabinets could use a little updating. Grounds pretty, activities if we wanted them. Rainbows almost every morning with a light, short rain. Lovely.

Room Views

by TripAdvisor Member MauiManager

Whether you are a Sands Of Kahana Timeshare Owner or an exchange guest who booked there reservation through Interval International you need to know the following about The Sands Of Kahana.

Only SOK owners are guaranteed a view prior to there arrival. Sands Of Kahana Owners do not get an ocean view room each year because all owners are placed on a rotation. One year you get an ocean view room, the next ocean front and the third year garden/mountain view depending on the availability at the time of booking. Interval International exchange guests are guaranteed the unit size only. You can request an ocean view prior to your arrival but there are no guarantees that you will get a room with a view.

All timeshare units at SOK do not have air conditioning. Each unit has ceiling fans and floor fans are available upon request from the housekeeping department. The Sands Of Kahana runs 99-100% occupancy each day so upgrades from a 1 to a 2 bedroom or a 2 bedroom to a 3 bedroom unit are very rare. Upgrades if available can only be granted 45 days prior to your arrival date.

I have been an SOK owner for ten years and look forward to coming each year.

Facelift Needed

After spending 1 week at SOK, I have mixed emotions about this resort. Our 2 bedroom 4th floor ocean view unit was spacious and clean with wonderful views. Some of the other plusses include the friendly and courteous staff, the pool was not crowded, and the grounds were well maintained.

The negatives were that the resort has no air conditioning (except for the sales presentation room to sell time shares - go figure), the inside and outside decor has a 60's feel to it, many of the outside chaise loung chairs were rusting badly and not very clean, many slats in the shades covering the sliding door to the lanai had been replaced but the length of the replacement slats were not the same length as those remaining, the baseboard throughout the unit had been removed and not replaced, at certain times of the day there was a long wait for the elevator, and the parking spaces are very narrow both in the outside lot and garage making it difficult to open car doors if 2 large cars were parked next to each other.

Interval International gives this resort a 5 star rating (their highest) but it does not compare, for example, to the Marriott, Embassy Suites, or Westin resorts. I personally rate this resort as average. It needs a major facelift to favorably compare to the finer resorts in the area.

loved the place!

My wife and I met friends who were staying at the sands of kahana and we were staying a couple of hotels down at the royal kahana. Our place was a dump compared to the sands of kahana. We would just sleep at our place and go hang out all the time at the sands because it was so nice. The condos are very spacious (1600-1800sq ft) for their two bedroom. The view was great! We've been to Hawaii probably 15 times for vacation and usaually stay in very nice hotels. This time was much more enjoyable doing the condo scene. In fact we liked it so much we bought a timeshare at the sands.

Interesting Experience

The Sands of Kahana is a generally nice condominium resort. We own 1 week a year, and try to come every year. Most of the suites are nice (Unfortunatley the one this year hadn't been updated since at least 1970!!) It is on a nice quiet beach, peaceful and relaxing. Up until this year, we have has great experiences with this resort, But someone NEEDS TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE STAFF!!! When I checked in, I was looking for a luggage cart (No Bell Service), and a rude clerk named Jennifer told me "GOOD LUCK". The next day, I needed to send a fax to my office, and a clerk named Kevin, couldn't seem to figure out how to send a fax. After 3 tries he gave up, BUT THEY STILL CHARGED ME!! The room was dirtier than average, and after MANY calls to the Front Desk, a woman named Roweena, who identified herself as the General Manager, told me they had no other rooms, and I could "TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT". I have NEVER had this poor of an experience before, I think its time for some NEW MANAGEMENT. Next year, I will try to trade for one of their sister properties

Loved the condo..........

by TripAdvisor Member bensson

If it was not for the somewhat dated look of the reception area, I would have rated this property as excellent. What they say about first impressions is NOT true in this case. The reception area, since it is the first you see of the property, needs to be cleaned up and modernized. Closing the door to the storage room behind the desk would be a good start. The condo we got was beautiful however. Very large, clean and great view of the ocean and pool.
They must be having a problem with the management of the restaurant since we were told we could not use the room charge card for payment of our breakfast. New restaurant management is supposed to be installed this summer. Also, the wireless internet service is kind of expensive, $35 per week and the signal is very weak. It kept shutting down and causing a new log in several times in just a few hours. They changed vendors of the wireless service while we were there. Just two days into the $35 purchase for a week service, the password and id we used were no good. After about an hour of trying to find out why, we discovered that the provider had been changed and the new provider would not honor the old provider's service. If we wanted it, it would cost another $35. When I informed the desk of this they disavowed any responsiblity for this and said we had to deal with the providers. Keep in mind, these are the providers whose service the property management determines will be used. I was quite upset with the lack of concern the front desk demonstrated. However, about 15 minutes after my call to the front desk informing them of the problem, a very nice woman called to say that the $35 was waiting for me at the desk and apologized for the situation. One other thing Interval International exchange users should be aware of. The manager said, when we requested an ocean front condo and not just an ocean view condo, that we were lucky since Interval custormers usually get the "garden/mountain view condos. That translates into a view of the parking lot close up and the mountains way off in the distance. Not what I would call an even exchange.

The courthouse by the Banyan TreeThe courthouse by the Banyan Tree

We saw whales-hard to photograph tho!We saw whales-hard to photograph tho!

View Along Front StreetView Along Front Street