The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach

Expedia.com Orbitz.com Booking.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 25% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach

I've stayed in condos and...

by alohabrendon

I've stayed in condos and hotels. Condos are good for anything over a week, anything under a week and a hotel is perfect. On Kaanapali Beach there are hotels (Westin, Marriott, Hyatt, Sheraton, Kaanapali Beach Hotel) and condos (The Whaler and Kaanapali Ali'i). I've stayed in all of them and would reccomend all of them except the Kaanapali Beach Hotel, yuk!

A Beautiful Hotel with Great Location in Maui

by dlytle about Marriott Hotel at Kaanapali on Maui

I used Marriott points to spend four nights at this very beautiful and comfortable hotel.

The beach is at the back door and is wide and clean. From my hotel room, 8111, I had a great view overlooking the ocean and pool area. From our room's balcony, everyday, several times per day, we saw humpback whales playing and jumping out in the ocean. It was a wonderful spectacle.

This hotel has a great pool area just off the beach. Kids love it. Lots of room to play in meandering swimming pools.

Between the beach and the hotel is a sidewalk that runs to the other resort hotels including the Whaler Village where there are a number of good restaurants to choose from. Open foyer design with lots of sunlight and manmade waterfalls and fish pools. Very friendly staff.

The Whaler was great

The Whaler was great. We stayed in a 1BR oceanfront (unit 451). The unit had an incredible lanai and view. The only minor complaint was that you had to jiggle the handle on the toilet sometimes to stop it from running.....sorry that's not that important in my book. The unit was very clean and well-kept. The staff was excellent, and took care of a rental car exchange after normal business hours for me. (Hertz replaced my rental car and dealt ONLY with the front desk staff) I had mentioned in my online reservation that we were arriving on our 10th anniversary, and they had even left champagne and glasses in the fridge. We thoroughly loved our stay and will be back as soon as we can!

The Whaler made our vacation amazing!!!

My husband and I recently returned from a week-long stay at The Whaler. It was amazing. The best thing about it is the location. You are literally steps from the most amazing beach in Maui, great snorkeling at Black Rock, restaurants and shops at Whaler's Village and just a few minutes away from the great eateries in Lahaina.
When we arrived, we were upgraded to an ocean view for a fraction of the price we would have paid if we had booked an ocean view in the first place. Our room was very clean with an excellent view.
Only two complaints...two days before we left they began to tear up the hallway for updates on carpet and wallpaper so it was quite a mess. But this means future guests will get to enjoy brand new decor! We were only slightly inconvenienced.
Secondly, The Whaler unfortunately does not have room service or a restaraunt since it is a condo, so be prepared to eat next door at Whaler's Village, buy groceries or find another place along the beach to eat.
Other than that, I would highly, highly recommend it for Maui on a budget.

Whaler's Store - Affordable, Unique Souvenirs

by Albernfrau about Whaler's General Store

A general store with clothes, souvenirs, groceries, film, etc. Wooden postcards; they are beautiful, classy and traditional ($1.99). All their wood products are nice. I also bought a mousepad of an old Hawaiian map.

It was okay.

by TripAdvisor Member ulkh

We stayed 5 nights at The Whaler because we wanted to have the convenience of a condo that was close to restaurants. The Whaler provided the closeness to Hula Grill and Leilani's which are our favorite restaurants on Maui. Our unit was clean, spacious, quiet. Because we checked in at 8 p.m. we were given a room on the 2nd floor which was disappointing because we overlooked the lobby and we couldn't see the mountains at all, only a partial view of the ocean. The room was a bit dated and could use some remodeling. I inquired about upgrading from a 1 bedroom to a 2 bedroom and was quoted an additional $235 a night for an ocean front, which we preferred to spend on activities. Overall, we had mixed feelings about The Whaler.

It wasn't for us

We arrived at The Whaler after spending three wonderful days on the relaxing island of Kauai. Immediatley we felt the area of Kaanapali was too busy. It took us the better of two hours to get there because of traffic. (There was still traffic the next day) When we arrived in Kaanapali we new it wasn't for us- the rows of high rise hotels and condos. (Was I in Fort Lauderdale?) The staff at the Whaler was very friendly and helpful. However when checking in we had to sign a slip indicating that we were aware of the dangers of the ocean as well as releasing the Whaler of liability for possible damage to our car. (Yikes) Nevertheless, the room was decent- a little dated but it was a condo. The other guests raved about the view but it was of the ocean if you looked to the right and a shopping plaza and other building in front. The bed was great and the staff left a pineapple, wine, and chocolates in the fridge. (Very Nice) However, we just didn't feel good about our one night stay and checked out the next am. As young honeymooners who like to relax and explore the island the Wailea area was more for us. The Whaler was not awful but it is not peaceful, luxury. The Kaanapali area is good for those interested in watersports and being active.

The Best!

by TripAdvisor Member OneBabydoll

I am a luxury-seeker and thought I wouldn't be too happy in a condo but was I wrong! The oceanfront rooms are spectacular - the view just doesn't quit. The sound of the ocean is just as amazing and it lulls you to sleep. The lanai is the perfect place to enjoy the beautiful (already cut) whole pineapple they welcome you with at the Whaler. Right next door was the Hula Grill (great appetizers you can enjoy while wiggling your toes in the sand and sipping a cool drink). Also right there is the Whaler shopping plaza which was fun with cute stores. A stroll down the beach at night is incredibly romantic and all the hotels are right there on the walkway. You can go snorkling right there at Black Rock and see the incredible underwater world. Why would anyone stay anywhere else? Don't buy it that this is not a place for couples, it was romantic and one of the best places I have ever stayed and I stay at a lot of bed and breakfast inns. Loved it!

I imagine I'm still there...

by TripAdvisor Member lovin'maui

This was our 3rd time on Maui and the Whaler was the best place we've stayed so far. Stayed Sept18 for 1 week. We loved our ocean view 2nd floor unit that we booked with Vacation-Maui.com. (Don't book with Aston unless you have an urge to spend more money for no reason.) That main stretch of Kaanapali beach is the best. Our 1 year old loved the ocean there. We loved being a couple minutes walk from Black Rock as well. The convenience of Whalers Village right next door is great.

When I close my eyes I like to imagine I'm still there. I love the Whaler and Kaanapali Beach!!!!

MAUI IS THE BEST! (sorry Kauai and Oahu. Haven't done the Big Island yet.)

Great Vacation!!!!

We stayed at The Whaler from August 7-17, 2004. We were surprised when we arrived. They gave us keys for 3 different rooms to pick from. Two were the same price, one was an upgrade. We stayed with the one that came in our package, 12 floor, great oceanview, 1BDRM, 2BTH. It also had 2 pull down beds. We have 2 sons. They thought it was great!! As far as the kitchen, it worked out perfect. We went to Safeway and bought our food for the 10 days which was mainly breakfast & lunch and one dinner the boys can't go without, spaghetti, their weekly staple. The staff was very friendly & helpful. We walked a short distance on the beach to the Black Rock for snorkeling. Everything was in walking distance. The hotels & The Whaler Village has restaurants & a ABC store. We found some of the clothing prices less expensive than at home, so we did school clothes shopping! Lahaina is a fun place to walk around at sunset! It's just beautiful! We hope to be back next year!

Whaler's VillageWhaler's Village

Beachside entrance to Whaler's VillageBeachside entrance to Whaler's Village

Ka'anapali Beach at Whaler's VillageKa'anapali Beach at Whaler's Village

Whaler's Village in the beach areaWhaler's Village in the beach area

Kaanapali Beach Condo for Honeymoon

by Indecisive3

Going to Maui in June for wedding/honeymoon and really prefer a condo to a hotel room. Having said that, we want it to be very nice, and the only thing we know for sure is that we want to be on Kaanapali Beach. Currently looking at Kaanapali Alii, Kaanapali Shores and The Whaler. Would like to be within walking distance of restaurants. Price is not an issue. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks buckets!

RE: Kaanapali Beach Condo for Honeymoon

by Roadquill

I am not a big Kaanapali fan. To me it is overbuilt with highrises, but the sandy beach is a great beach to float around in. Not much wave action. There are many restaurants by Whaler's Village. http://www.whalersvillage.com/info/media/pr_11_1.htm

One thing to consider about those condo's you are interested in is that they were all built over 30 years ago. Some units are in better condition than others. You may want to consider heading a bit farther West to Napili.

Congrats and have a great time,

RE: Kaanapali Beach Condo for Honeymoon

by Jamesr3939

#1 Kaanapali Alii, it is the gold standard by which all old and new condo's rate themselves. We have stayed there five times and our friends about 10 times. Great grounds, great location, great staff. We rented from the property manager but found a private party that we rent directly from and it is much cheaper. Email me and I can give you the contact information. You must have dinner at Mala's on Front Street just behind the Safeway. We discovered it in October and it is the best. Great food, local people, and very down to earth.

Restaurant recommendation Pacific'O vs. I'O in Lahania

by swdke

I am looking for a restaurant recommendation Pacific'O vs. I'O in Lahania. I know they are both owned by the same owners, and they are side by side. But, if I had to choose, which one would I go to? Any recommendations? Preferences? Comparisons and contrast? Thanks.

RE: Restaurant recommendation Pacific'O vs. I'O in Lahania

by travelgourmet

Aloha. Both are excellent. I enjoyed the front of Pacific'O for the view, so they get the edge, but not be much. The menu at Pacific'O may be a bit more pricey but it is a toss-up. I actually like David Paul's Lahaina Inn if you want to talk gourmet.

by swdke

Thank you for your reply to my inquiry of Pacific'O vs. I'O. Can you also tell me about Hula Grill, Kimo's and Leilani's. I understand they're all owned by the same management group, but would like to know more. I am interested in seafood, Pacific Rim, Hawaiian type food, with a casual, Hawaiian atmospher, and dining with a view. I read a lot of favorable information on all three, can you recommend one?

Steve

by travelgourmet

Only one it is. Hula Grill, hands down. All the things you want in one package, plus the price is right. View, casual Hawaiian atmosphere, food, and a sand beach to sit for drinks or lunch/dinner called Barefood Bar, with the ocean right before you. Located at the Whaler's Village in Kaanapali. If you want to spend a little more and are planning on taking the "Road to Hana", then Mama's Fish House in Paia fits most of your wishes and is not to be missed. Stop, just to see the beach in front of the restaurant. I'll give you their websites: www.hulagrill. com and www.mamasfishhouse.com Aloha

by swdke

Thank you for the information on the Hula Grill, and Mama's Fish House. How far do you think the drive is from the Kahului airport? Thanks.

by travelgourmet

Mama's Fish house is within 15-20 minutes, while Kaanapali is about 35-40 minutes.

RE: Restaurant recommendation Pacific'O vs. I'O in Lahania

by mauisurfer

Pacific O for sure!

Activities & Dining

by babybitez

I will be in Maui 7/2-7/8.
Any suggestions for good beach locations for these activities around this time of year?

- Snorkeling
- Jet ski
- Sea turtle spotting
- Fishing
- Kayaking/Canoe

Also, while I'm at it, any good cheap dining suggestions in Maui? I will be staying at the Whaler in Kaanapali beach.
Thanks so much for everyone's help!!!

-Tina

by spartan

Hi Tina,

We were there last year for our wedding and had a great time. I've got some good information regarding your questions on my Maui page as well as our combined page (BLewJay). Please feel free to take a look at the information.

Sincerely,

by BIW

Molokini is about 2 1/2 miles off the South shore. It is an extinct volcano that is now designated as a State Marine Life and Bird Conservation District. Half of it is submerged and half is above water- it is fascinating. You could scuba (or snorkel) right over the cone which is teeming with underwater life. Many outfits will boat you over there.

Re: Re: Activities & Dining

by YVRDave

Leilani's for sunset cocktails. It is in The Whaler village.
Make sure you are on the deck
I'm not sure if it is still happenning but the Marriott used to have a great happy hour at the pool. Prawns and Crab claws for $1.00 it maybe more now.

Re: Re: Activities & Dining

by FreeCloud

Not cheap, but definitely the best value you could ever have from a buffet, see details here:

Parasail, if you are not afraid of height, to hav a grand view, details here:

Have a great time.

by travelgourmet

Aloha, Cheap snorkeling, just walk to your right on the beach down to Black Rock, Sheraton Maui location. Good sighting next to the Black Rock. Sea Turtles can appear anywhere, please do not disturb or touch, most sightings at Makena Bay, just south of Kihei, middle of Maui, south coast. Fishing boats line the harbor at Lahaina, few miles south of Ka'anapali. Prices vary, but I don't think cheap. Kayaking outfit called South Pacific,in Kihei, has kayak tours. Near the Aquarium, that is a must see as well, walk thru glass tunnel of fish. Eating cheap, in Maui is not easy, but the Aloha Mixed Plate, hawaiian foods, and they are ono (good) priced right. Located behind the Cannery Mall a little south of Ka'anapali. I believe that the Whaler, has an inexpensive buffet in the restaurant. Have a great time. Aloha oe

Comments