Valley Isle Resort Condos

4327 Lower Honoapiilani Road, Kahana, Lahaina, Hawaii, 96761, United States

More about Valley Isle Resort Condos

Great stay at Valley Isle Resort

by TripAdvisor Member Ericzona

We just returned from a stay at the Valley Isle Resort (Feb 11th-18th). The condo (#1209) was stocked with everything you could possibly need and the owners were great to deal with. The views from our lanai were breathtaking and we saw too many whales to count. Our beach of choice was Kaanapali, it's unmatched in our opinion. For cheap eats, check out the Honolua Store for breakfast and Maui Tacos for lunch. Although we're home, we feel homesick.

The Hammel Family
Peoria,Az

A Room with a View!

by BlueCollar about Valley Isle Resort

The Valley Isle Resort is located in Kahana which is just north of Ka`anapali on the northwestern edge of Maui. The two biggest things I can recall of this area was that it was windy and it rained everyday. The prevailing winds brought a small strip of rain right over the mountains and dumped it on us everyday. It wasn’t until our last morning there that it seemed that the weather cleared and, as I loaded our car, I was able to snap this photo of the building with a blue sky in the background. So it was just our luck, right?

However, all was not lost. With just a few minutes-drive down to Ka`anapali and Lahaina, we had clear skies and great weather. With a quick drive up to Kapalua, it was still cloudy but no rain. It was clear on our last day and I was able to snap the photo at left. So, there are merits to this place. We just drew short straws this time. Although I have pointed out several negative aspects, I can assure you that we would definitely stay here again.

This condominium sits within steps of the ocean (see photo at left) and our room, on the 12th floor, had an unbelievable view of the ocean with Lana`i to the left and Moloka`i to the center. Then there were the whales playing in the foreground.

Be sure to click on my Travelogues for more photos of and around this wonderful place.

Although you can book direct, we found the best deal with Chase ‘n Rainbows. Chase represents many owners from several different condos so be sure to check their website.

Valley Isle - a little run-down

by TripAdvisor Member NormalNancy

We've just returned from a week stay at the Valley Isle. I had read such great reviews, I was a little taken aback walking into the facility. It is an older building (really they all appeared older in Kahana). The hallways are dreary, concrete and the carpet is completely run-down. The front-desk staff was very unfriendly and did not even get out of their chairs when we stood at the counter.

The pool is basic and the beach was barely useable, due to the ocean water being brown from rain run-off (I don't know if this is always the case).

Our unit was beachfront w/ a great view - comfortable, but in need of updating (i.e., old tile in the tubs, run down throw rugs, light bulbs not working). It definately needed a fresh coat of paint. Kahana is a good location, but you better have a car or you're going to go stir-crazy.

Honestly if I had it to do over, I would've opted for a smaller condo in a nicer building (i.e., Kaanapali Alii).

One more thing, my husband and I were amazed at the number of abandoned cars junked along the roadways, the overflowing garbage at the public beaches. Even on the road to Hana (w/ some gorgeous views) we saw abandoned stoves & refridgerators along the roadside. Cancun does a better job keeping their tourist area's pristine - the city of Maui had better take notice. We were completely underwhelmed.

Another great stay

This was our 7th stay at Valley Isle Resort, and once again we had a fabulous time. We used to think this place was our own personal secret paradise at Valley Isle, but it isn't a secret anymore. Everyone we have talked to while we have been here this time is saying the same thing. We have stayed in several different rooms that we rented from owners, and all have been perfect. The views of the ocean are to die for. Melanie and I always tell all of our friends in Castle Rock what a great place this is, and this year our neighbors came out and rented a condo just down the hall from us. That was really special. We will return again next April.

Excellent Deal

by TripAdvisor Member jam1961

I've stayed at the Valley Isle on three occasions, and each time was simply wonderful. Not only are the rooms easy on the wallet, but they are also oceanfront and have everything you would need. Many have mentioned the lack of a/c as the only potentially minor "negative". I was there in May, June, and November, and even in June I did not find a need for a/c. I'm amazed that the Valley Isle seems to be a well-kept secret, as I don't find many posts about it on the Maui travel forums. I can't wait to go back again sometime within the next year!!

Decent, depending on what you are after

by TripAdvisor Member Buglish

I'm not sure how the Valley Isle has historically received such excellent marks from so many people...unless condo owners are the ones actually writing the reviews.

I have stayed many places in Maui, and this one ranks below average. Our unit, 1203, was shabby; most of it was in need of repair. Plus, there was extra noise, (the back bedroom especially), as the unit was next to the elevator - although one of the eleveators was broken most of the week, and the other almost squashed some old guy because it closes so quickly; it seriously was dangerous.

I would not recommend this unit (and possibly, this place) at all to future guests. In fact, if you can only find a unit that ends in 01-03, DO NOT stay at the Valley Isle. While you can see the ocean well from these units, your view is also impeded by the hotel next door. These units are not ocean front like the others, and you can easily pick up the noise from the parking lot and street in front of the resort. Plus, there is limited privacy on the lanai, as everyone staying in the ocean front units on the left side of place (as it faces the ocean) looks right into yours as the walk to the elevator. Finally, if you do decide to stay here, book directly from an owner. We used some silly real estate company that didn't offer extended check-out times (which is rough when you have small kids and a late flight to the mainland) for less than the cost of another night's stay. Hah!

There was much noise due to construction at the resort, too. And the front desk staff seemed nonchalant. The pool was small but fine, and with no view of the ocean.

The beach is not a good swimming beach and worthless for snorkeling. You may be able to body board, but watch out for the the rocks and reef. There was some seaweed on the sand, too.

The Valley Isle does have three good things going for it, though. The first is that it is uncrowded. The second is that, based there in Kahana, you have easy access to all points from Lahaina to Kapalua. We hit Napili Beach regularly. The third is that you spot whales from your lanai.

Unfortunately, I cannot say that in my stay at this hotel/resort was a good value. Yes, it is an inexpensive alternative. But our experience there certainly felt cheap.

No Frills and Loved It!

by TripAdvisor Member pearldistrict

We just checked out of the Valley Isle today (March 28th). We loved our room and our stay. We were in room 909. The room shows to have been recently updated, with a new kitchen, carpet, tile etc. The view was awesome and we couldn't have been any closer to the ocean!!! The hotel itself doesn't have a fancy lobby or many ammenities... but who goes to Hawaii for the hotel ammenities? There is a great gym right next door... it rained a few days while we were there so my husband and I decided to kill some time while the clouds passed and pumped some iron. The hotel is about 8 mins from Lahaina... further than I expected but was well worth the drive. The rooms are all individually owned, so not all have been updated... but all have great veiws!!! Ours even had a washer and Dryer in the unit!!

Valley Isle Resort

by BlueCollar

For the fullsize view of this panorama, please click here.

For the fullsize view of this panorama, please click here.

The Valley Isle

by sswagner

Maui is literally two islands merged into one. This Hawaiian island continues to quickly gain in popularity with visitors. Its beaches constantly make the "highest ranked" lists and there are some incredibly beautiful areas on the island.

Our time here was short, yet that time spent left quite a memory. Anyone with a good deal of time to spend here is very fortunate.

Maui - The Valley Isle

by Mobleydcat

"Iao Valley"

We went to Maui in November of 2002, it was November yet the weather was near-perfect. The beaches and the scenery inspires awe. Mt. Haleakala permeates sense of wonder.

This picture was taken in Iao Valley, a peaceful lush area with exotic plants and pools. This is the view of the creek from Visitors rest area.

The trade wind just feel a little softer in Maui, the flowers have little more fragrance. Maui is just more than beautiful, it is magical.

A simple stroll to the beach is enough to replenish the spirit and set the mind at ease.

Valley Isle ResortValley Isle Resort

From our room at Valley Isle ResortFrom our room at Valley Isle Resort

From our room at Valley Isle ResortFrom our room at Valley Isle Resort

Valley Isle from the beachValley Isle from the beach

Maui Whale Watching Tours

by leighjohnson

We wish to go whale watching whilst in Maui and I have researched quite a lot about different tour companies, however has anyone been on a tour and can recommend any particular tour company to me? It is so difficult to make a decision from what you read over the internet - I would much rather word of mouth. Thank you, Leigh

RE: Maui Whale Watching Tours

by sharbev

Hi Leigh,

Not sure what month you are going, but we spent 3 wks in Hawaii in Mar/Apr and one of our absolute favorite activity was a semi-private (maybe 20 ppl) charter on the Ali Nui. It's actually a snorkeling trip, but we saw so many whales. Several of which we felt were going to actually jump into our boat. Seriously, we could have touched them.

The great thing about this charter is that the captain knows his stuff. He goes to one spot and sends divers down, if they don't see enough activity he pulls up anchor and heads for another spot. We were practically holding hands with sea turtles while snorkeling. Just amazing. And they have champagne and a wonderful brunch.

Here's the link:

We never would have found them had a local on another island told us about them.

Other great things to do in Maui: Bike Haleakala - I nearly killed my (new) husband when he signed us up for this without my knowledge, but it was one of the most beautiful and exhilarating experiences of my life...38 miles, no pedaling.

Lahaina Luau. Shopping/lunch or breakfast in Paia (great thing to do after the Haleakala bike trip.)

Have fun...wish I was going back!

RE: Maui Whale Watching Tours

by BlueCollar

Prime whale watching season is February/March. They start arriving as early as November and are all gone by end of May. Of course, seasonal variations can occur (One whale arrived in October a couple years ago).

We have done three whale watch boat tours. Twice with Island Marine Institute (http://www.whalewatchmaui.com/) and once with Pacific Whale Foundation (http://www.maui-whale-watching.com). All of these paled in comparrison to our experiences while viewing from land. Although you may get real lucky and have a whale approach the boat you are on, the chances of this happening are very slim. Yet, in all the advertisements you see, that's the picture they show. It is very rare that it happens.

From land, just find a spot that is high above the water and sit and wait. They will come along soon enough.

We once had a 12th floor, oceanfront room at Valley Isle Resort. It had a commanding view of the Pailolo Channel and we saw plenty of whales. We also had an oceanview cottage over near Hana where we had our best experience ever.

That's our experience...not opinion.

fish markets???

by MStars

Hi all,

Was wondering where we could get fresh fish and seafood to cook, are there any fresh fish markets in Maui? We're staying in either Kihei or Valley Isle, can't remember which . . .

Re: fish markets???

by dsunlin

We looked around aplenty. Our best find was the local Star Market. All kinds of poke.

Eskimo Candy is highly touted, but they only had a couple of native fishes, plus salmon.

There used to be a nice place in Wailuku but the owner passed away recently. :(

Re: fish markets???

by Jamesr3939

Star is your best bet. There is a great place up near Kanapalli, but that is probably to far of a drive. Try Stella Blue's for lunch it is great.

whale watching trips

by KathrynS

Can anyone recommend a whale watching trip that you really enjoyed and that you feel you got your money's worth? I know a lot of them guarantee seeing whales, but that only means if you don't see any, you can go another day for free. We don't have that many days to be going again.We will be there the last week in March, which I know is the tail end of the whale watching season- so what do you think?
Thanks!
Kathy

RE: whale watching trips

by BlueCollar

We just returned home yesterday from another great trip to the Aloha State.

The whales are in high season right now and we did yet another whale watch tour. We went with the Pacific Whale Foundation (on Maui) this time and did see plenty of whales with some playing on the surface within a few hundred yards of the boat. However, we now feel that if you do not need the narration that only an experienced guide offers, you can find better spots to view these giants from land. This was our experience this trip:

On Maui: Scenic Lookout along Highway 30 near Ma`alaea between mile markers 8 & 9 always delivered when we stopped. It offers a good vantage point since you are high above the water looking down. Great sunsets are viewed from here as well. Aslo saw some whales from turnouts located along Highway 30 north of Kapalua. Also saw them from our lanai in Kahana at the Valley Isle. We were on the 12th floor overlooking the water. But the best view we had was from the lanai of the cottage we rented in Hana. You can see whales from just about any spot along the ocean right now but it is best to find a spot that is high above the water.

On O`ahu: Just drive east from Waikiki on H-1. It turns into Highway 72. Continue east. Stop along any of the scenic points or just plain roadside parking spots from just after Hanauma Bay to Makapu`u Point. We saw several pods, some close to shore. We also saw some spouting along North Shore near Sunset Beach and Banzi Pipeline while we watched the surfers. Of course, the whales were further out.

I hope this helps.

A hui ho!

RE: whale watching trips

by KathrynS

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for your helpful information!

Comments