Makena Beach & Golf Resort

5400 Makena Alanui, (fomerly Maui Prince), Makena, Wailea, Hawaii, 96753, United States

Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Beach Front Excellence

A really lovely hotel set in beautiful surroundings a few steps away from the beach where turtles swim all day! Staff were really lovely, very helpful and friendly, they always say hello and can't do enough for you. The food was excellent as was the service. Don't expect to be able to walk anywhere useful from here you have to rely on shuttle buses which run frequently and you can book them free at the hotel, hire a car or book taxis - they weren't too expensive. The next resort along has all the designer shopping and restaurants and bars. The golf course nearby is fabulous. The room we had was an ocean view and was stunning - beautifully clean and well stocked with all the toiletries you could want and a great filter coffee machine and plenty of tea and coffee. I really had such a fantastic time here.

The pool was a real bonus as the weather seemed to change every lunch time and the wind would get up making the sea really choppy so the pool was ideal, clean and well laid out with as many towels as you wanted and the poolside bar did excellent snacks all day.

More about Makena Beach & Golf Resort

Maui Prince hotel is quiet and...

by easyed

Maui Prince hotel is quiet and reasonable and will also include golf in some of their packages. The other 'name' resorts are all beautiful but tend to be on the pricey side as one wouuld expect. We went the timeshare route to allow more freedom and extra dollars for fun and games.

Maui Prince - the "peaceful" choice

Indeed, as the other reviews confirm, the Maui Prince Makena is the "peaceful" choice of the Wailea/Makena hotels. If you're looking for escape, relaxation, quiet, calm, solitude - you're in the right place.
I can't deny that other hotels may have been fancier, more glamorous, more modern - but it was funny how we always looked forward to coming back to the Prince. I also want to mention that the staff at this hotel were so genuinely friendly. I've stayed at other Hawaiian hotels where it feels like the staff is "forced-friendly", and it doesn't feel genuine. Here, the staff seemed genuinely interested in how we were doing, and their suggestions seemed inspired, not just rote. Further, many of their suggestions didn't involve or benefit their hotel - they were just honest suggestions and advice. A special note - if you stay here, say hello to the wonderful valets and greeters who meet you at the front door - these guys (and ladies) are some of the most friendly and helpful folks we've ever met on a vacation, and listen to their advice. They're more helpful than any guidebook. In conclusion, if you're looking for unadulterated luxury at any cost, stay at the Four Seasons. If you're looking for over-the-top amenities, try the Fairmont or Grand Wailea. If you're looking for a relaxing oasis to return to after a day of exploring and beach hopping, and you don't like spending your entire budget on the hotel room, go straight for the Maui Prince.
(PS - Sign up for a "Prince Preferred" card on the hotel website. It's free, and got us a nice upgrade to a P.O.V. room on checkin...)

A Prince amongst hotels

by PeterVancouver about Maui Prince Hotel

Only a partial view of the Ocean yet prices around $250 per night which does make this property quite expensive. However the redeaming points are that it is built with a Japanese influence and is built around an Asian meditation garden with stone paths, quiet corners for contemplation, waterfalls, and streams swarming with brilliant red and gold carp. It has several restaurants which is just as well as the hotel is situated some miles from any other eating establishments. Sunday brunch is first class with as much Champagne as you can manage. In contrast to the main batch of hotels at the other end of the Island this hotel is very quiet and far more intimate. It does come complete with its own golf course. There are no restaurants or stores anywhere near this hotel, so it essential that you rent a car to enable you to purchase anything you cannot obtain in the hotel shops or restaurants A first class hotel with an excellent uncrowded beach of soft sand and large grassed grounds heading down to their own golf couyrse . If you want a steady relaxing holiday this hotel is for you as long as you have brought plenty of cash. The food is excellent at either the Prince Court for an fairly extensive menu albeit somewhat expensive or if you prefer, there is Hakone, the Japanese restuarant. In addition there are a number of lounges, cafe and Bars on the premises to have light refreshments and on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturday evenings there is a splendid Lau

Maui hotel tips

by chrissyhawaii about Maui prince hotel/Westin kaanpali beach

I stayed at the maui prince twice. I personally love that property. The grounds are absolutely beautiful...rooms could use some updating, but we are never in them anyways, however they are big rooms and the balconies the safest I've ever seen for travel with children. Not many children at this resort however we always take our little one who is 5 years old now and he loves it. The koi pond there where he can feed the koi fish is his favorite thing to do there and the staff is one of the friendlies staff I have ever encountered and the reason we return. They always make us feel welcome. Even though just our second stay the bellman remember us. We were out for a day of shopping and he asked if we were going to the beach that day and if he could offer us some beach towels to take with us. While waiting for our valet to bring the car, the other guys would play catch football with my son to pass the time..not that they take very long anyways.

The westin maui in kaanpali had really beautiful accomodations in the room. Their pool is what most people want to stay there for. Im not gonna lie it is a nice pool, with waterslide and waterfall. They have a huge water fall in the lobby however if getting a gardenview room beware you may be listening to that thing 24/7. Also don't book the mountainview rooms they are more than likely parking lot view so spring a little extra and get an oceanview room. Staff was courteous , front desk check in was awesome as well as our waiter at the poolside restaurant..went out of his way to get my son grape jelly from the banquet hall since they only had strawberry at the restaurant. Watch out for the mai tai's , they are good, but can knock you on your you know what. The lava flows however are so delicious, one of the best I have ever had and refreshing while sitting out by the pool. Unique Qualities of the maui price I would have to say is the staff first and foremost. They are the most wonderful people you will ever meet. The grounds and location also unique. Maui prince is the only resort in makena, making it very quiet, romantic and relaxing. I love the fact that no matter how far your room is from the beach if you can't afford that oceanfront or oceanview prime room, at night because it is secluded you can sit on your balcony and listen to the wonderful sound of the ocean from any balcony on the property. I moved away from home (hawaii) last year and what I would give to go back there and sit and listen to that unfiltered ocean sound.

The Westin unique qualities I would have to say is one, their pool. It doesn't feel too crowded because of the way it is built on top of the fact that there is an adult pool which is much quieter for those not wanting children splashing all around them. Cabana massage poolside is a nice touch..it's by the adult pool, yet when we walked by the people getting the massage were in full view, probably not the way I would want to get a massage, nice touch outside like that, but maybe could be a little more private. And I would also say their furnishings. They are home of the heavenly everything, from beds, to linens, to robes, to shower curtain even and the double shower heads....awesome.

Romantic, unpoiled hotel

by klasher about The Maui Prince

Our second week in Maui was spent on the South side of the island. Walking into our room I was flooded with happiness. Our room had a spectacular view of the ocean and when a second breezeway privacy door was opened and you opened the sliding glass door of the balcony, a consent rush of cool Maui breeze flooded the room. The hotel is situated away from all of the other hotels and has a great beach that we did a couple of shore dives from. This beach is one of the famous "Turtle Towns" and it is a guarantee to see many of the on one dive (or snorkle). The staff was wonderful and each meal we had was good. The pool is small-but what the hell are you doing sitting by a pool in Maui????

I guess I would stay at the Maui Prince again, if...

We stayed at the Maui Prince on Jan 12 - Jan 16, 2004. We knew Maui was expensive and I was trying to find a mid priced hotel. We paid 300 per night for the room, rental car, and breakfast buffet each morning. We arrived at 11:30 P.M. and were given a cold towel. We were upgraded to room 446, which was an ocean view room, we were told, because we were Prince Preferred club members. They also said that the hotel was completely filled. We ordered a small pizza, and cold sandwich from room service. I think it came out to about 33 dollars. When we checked out, the clerk told us that the room we had normally costs 360 a night without car or food.When we arrived I noticed that the part of the room, by the refrigerator/ bathroom door, smelled like someone had spilled beer. My wife kept insisting that it smelled like urine, but I was pretty sure it was beer. Because I had read TripAdvisor before I left, I knew it would be pretty much worthless to complain, but I told the maid anyway. She said that she had a cold, and could not smell anything. I was too lazy to go down to the desk and start complaining, so we ended up just putting up with it, and trying to avoid the area. I wasn't up to the stress of arguing with the hotel, and having to pack up all our stuff and move just for another three nights. Besides, we really didn't do much at the hotel except sleep, eat breakfast, and take a shower. We left each day to go sightseeing, and didn't return to our room until bedtime. We went down to the beach one time, and it looked ok. The waves were very high, and I think the beach was closed every day we were there.The breakfast buffet was excellent. My wife loved the waffles, and I liked just about everything. They actually served different items each day. I had been to numerous hotels before where the buffet was the same each day. After 3 or 4 days, you get pretty tired of the exact same food. We were told that the buffet normally costs 18.95 per person. We fed the fish by our table, but stopped when we realized that we were luring little blue fish to the surface, where they were being eaten by a brown heron.We had a pizza in Kiheh, at Shakas pizza. It was pretty good, and cost 25 dollars. We ate at the Royal Thai restaurant, also in Kiheh. My wife is Thai/American, and she said it was the worst Thai restaurant she had ever eaten at. My wife and I cannot really afford to spend 60 80 dollars on dinner, so we were glad when we got to Oahu, where we could find good food, at a more reasonable price.We went to Maui Ocean Center, and also drove around the entire north end of the island. Maui Ocean center is excellent, and I recommend it. Driving around the entire top of the island is quite an adventure. There are one-lane roads that are right on the side of a mountain overlooking the ocean, with no guardrail. You have to drive very slowly, and carefully, but you can make it in a rental car. It is very beautiful.We also drove up to the summit of Haleakala. If you do that, take a heavy winter coat, and hat because it is very cold and windy up there.I guess I would stay at the Maui Prince again, if my room didn't reek. The hotel did not quite live up to the billing it had been given on TripAdvisor, but it was all right. I did not stay at any other Maui hotel, so I cannot compare it to the Four Seasons, The Grand Wailea, or The Fairmont Kea Lani. I liked the south end of the island. It seemed much less congested than the other hotel strips on Maui. When I drove up into Kiheh, and saw some of the hotels there, I was glad I did not book them.

Privacy in Maui

by TinkyBug about Maui Prince Hotal

A great place to be away from the commercial area, but close enough to drive there if you want to. Get whale watching trip with all the mai tais you can drink.

Great Hostel

by Rickman77 about Banana Bungalow

The Banana Bungalow is the best hostel experience that I have ever had. The best part about the Banana Bungalow are the free tours that are offered daily.
Current info about the tours can be obtained from their website.

During my stay I attended these tours:

Ioa Needle Rainforest Hike (half day)
-hiking, waterfalls, cliff jumping

Haleakala Volcano Tour (full day)
-long hike, sunset at 10,000

Makena Beach (full day)
-lounging at the beach, snorkelling, drum circle on the nude beach

All of the tours were excellent. They are very laid back. Basically everyone piles in a van and one of the hostel workers drives you to the destination. Once there depending on the activity the guide just hangs out or leads a hike or whatnot. Tips are apprciated and usually abliged. $5 to $10 per tour is standard. $10 for a full day tour is about the best value that you will find, espeacially somehwere as expensive as Hawaii.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND the Banana Bungalow and the tours if you like the hostel atmosphere.

Wailuku Area Accomodation

by MissR6 about Banana Bungalow Hostel

I`ve stayed 1 week at the Banana Bungalow and really liked that place!

If you give the folks a call ... somebody will pick you up at Kahului Airport - for free!

They also have a free beach shuttle, leaving the hostel at 9:40 am, picking you up from the beach at 2:00 pm. The beach is near Kahului and pretty nice - an awesome spot for kite and wind surfers!

Other facilities and services include:
- free hi-speed Internet (limited time, if others are waiting, which is absolutely fine)
- free linens (better bring your own sleeping bag!)
- free coffee
- free community TV
- free luggage storage
- free secured surf, windsurf, & kite storage
- game room with pool table, darts, and table soccer

Other general services and facilities include:

Laundry, free Linen (think I got that one), Credit Cards acceptance, security lockers, luggage storage, fully equipped kitchen (just label your food/drinks!), pay phone, fax facilities, front desk with travel info (reception is open from 8 am to 10 pm),

Things to note:

- quiet time from 10 pm to 8 am. in hostel
- off-island ticket or foreign passport required to check-in
- no length of stay or age restrictions

--------------------

Would I recommend that hostel? Yes, I would. Despite the bathrooms not having been that clean for 1-2 days, wet, hairs on the ground etc. and I would not go without slippers into the shower ... and despite the tiny, little, sweet bug, uhm ... pet we`ve caught in our room on the second day, ... but hey ... it was not THAT bad! The place is great to meet people from all over the world, to hang around with fellow travelers and maybe to get in contact with somebody you will start your next trip with. Who knows? It`s been so much fun - and we`ve stayed just for one week!

Well, I?ll be back in July 2006, folks ... get prepared! ;) Not only that Banana Bungalow names a 7 person Jacuzzi its own ... and a large outdoor area in an botanical garden with hammocks, eating and seating areas, and a grill for barbequing ...

the folks offer free tours around Maui Island every day! The tours are unique and probably (they ARE) the best tours on the Island. You cannot get around for cheaper! Just tip the tourguide at the end of the day ... usually $5-10 for a half-day trip and $10-20 for a whole day trip. The guides dont get paid, they spend their free time to get you guys around this wonderful island - so pay them well!

Tours go to the West Maui Mountains for a breathtaking hike with awesome views of waterfalls and rainforest ... or dont miss the "Road to Hana" tour which takes you along the coast for hours. Take a hike through a bamboo forest and view some other spectacular waterfalls, to end up at beautiful Red Sand Beach, where you can throw yourself off the cliffs into the ocean ... or join the guide on a snorkeling tour at various beach spots, e.g. Makena Beach (like paradise) and stroll through the little town of Kihei, have a cuppa coffee in one of the small bars ... or grap your hiking shoes, a jumper and long trousers - as it can get really windy up Haleakala Vulcano! The hike is just awesome, through rough and science fiction like scenery and watch the sun set above the clouds, when you`ve reached the summit.

I did not explain all tours ... just take a look for yourself! They have `free? tours every day of the week. Every one an experience of its own!

Maui Prince and view from balcony of room 420Maui Prince and view from balcony of room 420

Makena BeachMakena Beach

Little Makena BeachLittle Makena Beach

Makena Beach sunsetMakena Beach sunset

Luau in Wailea

by cmillard

Has anybody been to the Luau in Wailea? I know the one in Lahaina is supposed to be the best, but we are staying in Kihei, so it's much more convenient to go to one closer to our condo. (don't want the drive back after those mai tai's!)

Thanks,
Carol.

by travelgourmet

The Maui Prince Hotel in Makena has a Luau on Tues., Thurs., and Sat. early evenings. Only about 10 miles from Kihei.

by jackofspades

The Wailea Marriott also has a luau, they call it Wailea's Finest Luau. I've never been to it though. Held every Monday, Thursday and Fridays 5PM-8Pm. Oceanfront setting, Open Bar with Tropical Cocktails, Traditional Luau Buffet, Authentic Hula Show, Three-time Worls Champion Fire-Knife Dancer, Imu and Torch Lighting Ceremony. Price is $85.00 adults, $42.00 Children (6-12).

Wailea Marriott Resort, 3700 Wailea Alanui, Wailea, Maui, HI 96753
(808) 879-1922 Extension: 50 for Luau info & reservation

RE: RE: Luau in Wailea

by travelgourmet

Marriott Wailea has been going through a period of renovation and I would check first to see if the grounds are still being upgraded. After June, things might be ok.

by dengay

We (two couples) were on Maui in November celebrating our 25th wedding anniversaries and attended a luau at the Maui Prince Hotel in Makena. We were not disapointed. We had reserved premium seats ahead of time (HIGHLY RECOMMEND DOING THIS!!) When we arrived at the luau grounds, we were escorted around a long line of 150 plus people to our table that was front and center of the stage. The show is a Polynesian show, which means they show a sample of the culture on all of the major islands of the South Pacific, not just Hawaii. The show was very entertaining, the girls were beautiful and poised, and the fire-knife dance was awesome. My friend's wife was invited up on the stage by one of the male dancers for the final act. It was precious! At different times during the show, they asked newlyweds, those celebrating their birthday, and finally anniversay couples to come up on the stage. My wife and I danced to the Hawaiian wedding song while on stage.

The food was better than average. There was a large variety and it was prepared and displayed very well. The dessert table was something to behold! If there was one disappointment it was the open bar. They had only three different tropical drinks (mai-tai and two others) and all were too weak for my tastes. The bar closed at 7:30 as well (liability reasons I suppose). We ended up drinking soft-drinks.

Makena is about 15 minutes south of Kihei. Although I'm ceratain the other luau's are just as good, I personally would return to the Maui Prince.

Comments