Grand Wailea The Waldorf Astoria Collection

Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Grand Wailea - Waldorf Astoria Hotel

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 27, 2015

We arrived late early morning and check in was a breeze. We were staying here with HILTON HONOR certificates during our 4 night stay and since I have Hilton Diamond status we were checked in at their Diamond desk. We gave our name and handed the certificates we were using. During our stay in January the hotel was full with a few groups of business travelers and conference groups, but we were given a nice upgrade. Not a tower room, but we weren't planning on staying in our room much so we were happy with what we got. The room was quite large with a nice canopy bed, Jacuzzi bathtub, shower, sitting area and balcony. It was very clean with decent furnishings which were good enough for our stay.

The certificates covered the room stay, taxes and fees (including a daily resort fee charged by resorts) and parking fees. As a Diamond with Hilton we were given a $40 voucher towards dinner at Humu, a voucher for two free drinks and free breakfast every morning.

This is definitely not the type of hotel I would have chosen to stay, but we had these certificates that were expiring and we wanted to put them to good use with the limited time we had available for travel. For me, resorts this large, expensive, and that attract families with children isn't my idea of a romantic relaxing stay. But, as I said, it was free and free is good with me when the hotel's rates range upwards from $600 a night during our stay. When you pay this kind of money, you aren't there to visit the island in my opinion. I personally prefer to explore. See and do what this beautiful island has to offer and paying $600 and upwards makes no sense if you plan to do that. The Caribbean islands would be more suited for this, or better yet, cruise, it's so much cheaper.

There is definitely plenty to enjoy at this resort, and I am glad we were able to experience it with our certificates. Would I return as a paid guest? No, too many other places to stay that would suit my travel style better.

Unique Quality: The hotel does have some really nice qualities for it's size and we had a good time during our stay. The size of the hotel makes it a necessity for the guest to wear "WRISTBANDS" to deter non-paying guests from enjoying the hotel. The hotel is situated on 40 acres facing Wailea Beach with 780 guest rooms and 52 Suites all within 5 Wings, the Chapel, Lagoon, Wailea, Haleakala, Molokini, and Napua Tower. The hotel has the Wailea Canyon Activity pool which is made of 9 pools in different levels connected by a river. The pool also has slides, whitewater rapids, tarzan ropes and a few other fun stuff for the kid in anyone.

The hotel has nice manicured gardens with bridges and walkways. On the grounds of the resort you will find a variety of restaurants, bars and dining options like Bistro Molokini, Sunset Cabana, Grand Dining, Volcano Bar & Grill, Botero Lounge, Grotto Bar (our favorite) and Humukumunukunukuapua'a (where we enjoyed an nice dinner).

There is plenty of other activities to keep anyone busy, you can head over to the Shops at Wailea for shopping or grabbing a bit to eat or enjoy a relaxing spa treatment at Spa Grande, its up to you what you do with our time.

zizland's Profile Photo

A valid excuse for the neutron bomb...

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 6, 2011

In my experience, luxury hotels have two things in common - beautiful accommodations and facilities and excellent service. This hotel is certainly lovely to look at, but interaction with the staff is a hit or miss experience. We stayed at the private villas - Ho'olei - and I would not recommend the facility. While the units are spacious, well appointed and lovely, the service is horrendous. In fact, I doubt that any of the service staff has actually stayed at a luxury resort - the entire experience felt like a high school production. For the price you pay, you can certainly do better.

Unique Quality: The villa units are very large - the unit we stayed in was 3 bedrooms, 3 1/2 baths and at least 3200 square feet. The kitchen was well laid out and appointed. There was a huge grill on the balcony that we used every night. The furniture in the unit was nothing special.

Directions: Wailea area of island

cyboura's Profile Photo

Amazing Resort

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 20, 2006

Beautiful very big Rooms, amazing service, a lot of stores, mall nearby, A bit expensive but worth it. I will let the pictures speak for themselves.

Nearby Grand Wailea The Waldorf Astoria Collection

• Spa
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Wailea Travel Forum

Need advice about Wailea, Hawaii (State of)? Visit the Travel Forum for Wailea and ask our Answer Gurus.

Explore Deeper into Wailea
Hotel Courtesy Car
Transportation
A Little Bit of Everything
Shopping
Better Lunch than Dinner here..
Restaurants