3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

410 Atkinson Drive, Honolulu, Hawaii, 96814, United States

Hotels.com Orbitz.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

• Noisy but nice

We stayed in Room 3508 for 7 consecutive days in October 2007.

On Friday night, we were awakened at 1:45 a.m. by loud music. We called the front desk three times from 1:45 a.m. until 2:15 a.m. The front desk told us in the first two calls that they had sent Security up to stop the noise because other guests had also complained about the same thing.

On our third phone call at 2:15 a..m. they told us that Security needed time to resolve the problem. I then went downstairs to the front desk to complain about this. The front desk said the noise was music from the restaurant above our room and that this happens every Friday and Saturday. The front desk offered to let us move to another room but we thought that was not reasonable at 2:15 a.m. Finally at 2:30 a.m. the music stopped and all we heard for the next half hour was the noise of chairs or furniture being dragged around in the restaurant/pub above our room.

The next morning I spoke to the Hotel Guest Manager and settled our grievance by way of a free late (7 pm) checkout. We were happy with the settlement and favorably impressed with the Manager's handling of our complaint.

I'm tempted to give this hotel a 4 star rating but the noise on Friday night is likely to be a permanent problem so I'm only giving it 3 stars.

We would stay again at this hotel except we would not want anything on the 35th floor, the second top floor just under the restaurant on the top floor.

Unique Quality: This hotel is a nice, clean, modern, well-maintained building. We didn't mind the small size of the room (3508) that others at this website mentioned. We didn't mind the missing sofa bed that the hotel literature said should be included with an Ocean View Room. The spectacular view of the Pacific Ocean, the Ala Moana Park and Ala Moana Beach that we got from the balcony of the room distracted us from those concerns. We enjoyed seeing the sunset over the ocean from the balcony of our Ocean View room.

Staff were generally friendly and cheerful (except for the grouches at the Bell Desk). The lady at the Tour Desk was especially friendly and helpful.

I don't think any of the hotels in Waikiki can claim to be "quiet". There's lots of tour buses and other automobile traffic 24 hours a day in the area. This hotel is just outside of the west end of Waikiki and is not as noisy as those in Waikiki. With the balcony doors closed, it was quiet except for Friday night's noisy music. On Saturday night, we could hear the music until about 2:30 am but it was not as noisy as Fiday's. The other 5 nights of our 7 day stay were quiet with the balcony doors closed.

This hotel has an excellent location. It's adjacent to the Ala Moana Shopping mall that has everything we needed including a grocery store that has reasonable prices for bottled water. There's another larger grocery store 2 blocks away called the Don Quixote that has less expensive groceries and that's almost as nearby as the one in the basement of the mall.

Buses to almost everywhere on Oahu stop at either the hotel or the adjacent mall.

• Onedragon's Profile Photo

ALA MOANA HOTEL

I HAVE HAD FRIENDS THAT HAVE STAYED HERE AND I HAVE VISITED THEM AT THIS HOTEL.. THE ROOMS SEEM TO BE COMFORTABLE AND THE VIEW UP HIGH CAN BE REALLY NICE.. THERE IS A CLUB/DANCING PLACE ON THE PENTHOUSE LEVEL AND THE VIEW FROM THERE IS SUPER...STARTING RATES FOR THE ROOMS IS AT $99.

Unique Quality: I THINK A GREAT AND UNIQUE QUALITY IS THE OCEAN VIEW.. THERE ARE TWO TOWERS (KONA) AND(WAIKIKI) BOTH WITH OCEANVIEWS. ..AND ALSO MOUNTAIN VIEWS..WHICH IS BEAUTIFUL ALSO....

Directions: NEXT TO THE ALA MOANA SHOPPING CENTER

• greenCoral's Profile Photo

Nice Location

I liked this hotel. It was not the best hotel I have ever been to, but considering the location and the price, it was worth it. We walked everywhere from our hotel, and there was also a bus station right next to it, and Ala Moana Shopping Center. Overall it was a good experience.

Unique Quality: There was a pool on the third floor (outdoors), a couple of nice restaurands, one of which was at the very top of the building offering 'romantic views' of the city :) and some shops.

More about Ala Moana Hotel

Beautiful lobby; older looking rooms - remodeling

by LittleEagle about Ala Moana Hotel

Service was fine. The rooms are small and poorly decorated. The bathroom is very outdated. I do believe they are getting ready to remodel. Located across from the Convention Center which is very convenient if you are there for a conference.

Right Next to the Ala Moana Shopping Centre

by keeweechic about Ala Moana Hotel

On my first visit to Hawaii where I spent a week there on a return from the UK, I stayed at the Ala Moana Hotel which is right inbetween Waikiki and downtown Honolulu. Attached to the hotel is the big Ala Moana Shopping centre which has some 200 stores and restaurants, which is really convenient. It has all the usual great Hawaiian flavoured bars and restaurants. You can get a nice views as well, either mountain or ocean.

Most hotels have 'kamaaina...

by kahiwa

Most hotels have 'kamaaina rates', which are discounted rates for locals. I don't know what rates you will be charged, but here goes.

For locals, the Pagoda Hotel is just fine. It's a small hotel located two blocks 'mauka' (towards the mountains) from the Ala Moana Shopping Center, and a few blocks from the beginning of Waikiki. It's where a lot of local people stay when they travel from the other islands. If you want 'okay' accomodations with a kitchen, opt for the Pagoda Terraces across the street. It's an older facility, but they have one and two bedroom units with full kitchens. Great for longer term stays. The second hotel I would recommend is the Ala Moana Hotel. It's 'attached' to the Ala Moana Hotel, and is on the edge of Waikiki. Nice rooms. Other good tourist hotels are the Hilton Hawaiian Village (pricey but very good), and the Hawaii Prince Hotel (pricey but luxurious).

We have LOTS of other hotels, but most are directly in Waikiki. That's great if that's where you want to be (it's a bit congested), but these others are just outside of Waikiki, but close enough that you could walk there. The Pagoda has clean rooms at a good price. The location is good, and parking is available.

The Ala Moana Hotel is a full service hotel, with good restaurants and a nightclub. The prices are moderate.

The Hilton Hawaiian Village is very popular with tourists not necessarily on a budget. They are a full service hotel with several towers, convention facilities, upscale restaurants, etc.

The Hawaii Prince Hotel is an upscale hotel for those who want luxury. The food is great at the hotel restaurants, and banquet facilities are available.

Almost Hawaii/Almost Japan

by AKtravelers about Ala Moana Hotel

The Ala Moana Hotel is a big, industrial scale hotel off of Waikiki. There is nothing special about the rooms, the service was fine and it's a 10 minute walk to a beach (Ala Moana Beach). So, most people would likely opt for different lodgings if they were searching for their hawaiian Dream Hotel.
Still, it has some advantages. If you like to shop (unlike me) it's right next to Hawaii's biggest mall. As this appeals mostly to Japanese tourists (what mainland American would go to an expensive place like Hawaii to buy the same things they can get at home?), the hotel is naturally Japanese owned. Therfore, you'll notice it has the Asian quirk of no 4th floor. I like that.
The other thing I like is that it's close to the YMCA, where you can work out in a full-service gym for $5 (just show your room key). It's also near the Alawai Canal, a great place for a long, uninterrupted run.
The bad news about the area is that it is a bit sleazy (though I never felt unsafe, even at night). There are strip clubs near-by and the convention center area attracts some prostitutes at night. Ala Moana Park is a mecca for the homeless (where better to live without shelter?). So, if these things bother you, pick another hotel. If you have a late check-out, the hotel offers a room in the back tower where you can shower for free. Since many flights to the mainland leave late at night, it's nice to be able to clean the beach sand off you vefore getting on the plane.

Great views & most convenient location in Honolulu

by TripAdvisor Member mauidude

I've stayed here at least a dozen times.

The Ala Moana Hotel is adjacent to the world-famous Ala Moana Shopping Center - which is the primary hub for the excellent city bus known as TheBus (-----). So, this hotel gives you easy access to great shopping and to exploring all of O`ahu.

This hotel isn't on the water; it's on the edge of the Waikiki Beach resort area. But the excellent Ala Moana Beach Park (popular among locals) is nearby. And many of the rooms offer great ocean, city, and mountain views. I've included pictures that I took from my room on the 22nd floor during my stay last month.

The Hawai`i Convention Center is right across the street.

The rooms aren't fancy, but I've always found them clean and comfortable.

The food is horrible. But there are so many great places to eat at the Ala Moana Shopping Center, there's no reason to eat at the hotel restaurant.

A bed and cheap

by JustinJansen

In stayed in the hawaiian colony hotel along the Ala Moana Boulevard not far from Ford Derussy and the Hilton Hotel at Honolulo.
Nice place altough boys and girls are separated from each other!

On Waikiki, Great Location, Has Everything

by Stacyh about Hilton Hawaiian Village

We stay here because my in-laws own a timeshare and let us stay for free. An offer we can't refuse since it's not just a room, but a 1500 sq. ft. apartment. Otherwise, I'd choose something outside Honolulu. But, if you're looking for a resort right on Waikiki, you can't beat the Village. It has it all: 3 pools, several restaurants (all expensive), Round Table Pizza, Lappert's Coffee and Ice Cream, a NY Deli, etc. and the beach at its doorstep. It's conveniently located to the Ala Moana shopping center and the wiki wiki's that will take you up and down Ala Moana Blvd. to all the sites and shops. Views of the Waikiki and Diamond Head. Right on the beach. Several pools. Lots of restaurants from upscale to deli and pizza. Hertz rental on property. Convenient to public transportation (wiki wiki's and busses)

Ala Moana hotel towers over Ala Moana parkAla Moana hotel towers over Ala Moana park

Ala MoanaAla Moana

Ala MoanaAla Moana

ala moanaala moana

1 Night in Honolulu

by syllybabe

Hi guys!
I have a one night layover in Honolulu on Sept. 7 and am having a difficult time choosing a hotel. I just want a place with a view of the beach, close to some shopping, and hopefully not too far from the airport. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Syl

by travelgourmet

Aloha, Everything you are looking for is at the Ala Moana Hotel, just outside of Waikiki. Beach across the street, next door to the Ala Moana Shopping Center with over 200 shops, and only 7 miles to Honolulu International Airport. Ocean view rooms are a little more expensive. Ask if they have any specials for September. See website: www.alamoanahotel.com Aloha oe.

RE: RE: 1 Night in Honolulu

by syllybabe

Thank you so much! I'll go check it out.

by geekgrrl

If you go five more minutes, you can be in Waikiki. I think for just one night (especially if you haven't been here before) I would splurge on a hotel in Waikiki...Hilton Hawaiian Village, Outrigger Reef, Outrigger Waikiki, Sheraton Waikiki, and the more upscale Moana Surfrider, Royal Hawaiian or Halekulani.

RE: RE: 1 Night in Honolulu

by gespaper

I'd go for the Hilton Hawiian Village. Lots do do, on the beach, good places to eat, 20 minute taxi ride from the airport......

by patrick808

The beach view is the expensive part, but after browsing your travels, I will agree with the Gourmet and suggest that if you did not choose yet, please consider the Ala Moana Hotel. Starting at $139 for Ocean Vies for September:

Comments