Aqua Island Colony Honolulu

triplehelix's Profile Photo

Affordable Option

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 22, 2006

Castle Hotels and Resorts operates mainly in the Hawaiian islands and have different levels of luxury. Island Colony is definitely not your best luxury option to be honest. It's decor is very much 80's style and is in need of upgrades. Check in times could be more clear as I was lost for a few hours upon arrival. I arrived at 11:30am hoping to get my room already as I was tired and had been at work all night. "Sorry, room's not available until 3pm". I figured such... They did offer to hold my backpack while I went out though (kindly declined).

There is an Internet cafe right around the corner that charges $2 every 15 minutes so I used up an hour to kill time. Fastforward a few hours later and my room became available (2502). They had upgraded me from a single room to a super delux single bedroom! Hey I got something good out of waiting and at no charge. I walked in on Housekeeping trying to rush the room... There was a kitchenette complete with cooking stuff. The bedroom had A/C but not the rest of the room which sucked cause it gets hot! The living area came with two small sofabeds, coffee table, dining table, and cable tv. The bathroom was alright except for the soap leftovers on the holder and the previously used body lotion... Can't really complain as I got a free upgrade and I wasn't here for a luxury stay.

I critique these things because I work at a five diamond resort and I'm just used to picking at things like this lol. It's a habbit of mine when I enter a restaurant or room.

Unique Quality: The staff appears friendly and helpful (though one of the male receptionists didn't look too enthused that day). Services include 24 hour front desk and security. Concierge is very helping and if you look at them for more than 2 seconds, they'll have 5 brochures out to hand you. The security desk seems bland as hell or they just don't want to talk to anyone haha. The guest elevators are only accessible if you have a key card. If not, too bad, you can't come and rob my room! The housekeepers are very nice but again, I'm very picky about cleanliness and my room was rushed big time. I found someone's paper work that fell behind the dresser in the bedroom and soap scum left on the soap holder. My towels were refreshed daily though.

The hotel is hard to miss since it's right on the Ala Wai canal. If you're lost in Waikiki, just remember to find your way back to Kuhio Ave. and keep walking until you see the street your hotel is on. Remember certain stores for reference. There's a Local Fever jeans store across of my hotel's street so I always found my way back.

Directions: Along the Ala Wai canal. Take the #8 bus into Waikiki and get off at the stop near Subway (or any Kuhio Ave. stop if you get confused.)

Nearby Aqua Island Colony Honolulu

Aqua Island Colony Honolulu

• Hotel Island Colony
  • Aqua Island Colony Hotel Honolulu

Address: 445 Seaside Avenue, (formerly Castle Island Colony), Honolulu, Hawaii, 96815, United States

5 Photos of Aqua Island Colony Honolulu

• Shuttle Service
  • Kitchenette
  • Suites

Honolulu Travel Forum

Need advice about Honolulu, Hawaii (State of)? Visit the Travel Forum for Honolulu and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Honolulu hotel reviews