Aqua Palms And Spa

Hotels.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• LeoM's Profile Photo

A great hotel

This hotel was right across the street from The Hilton Hawaiian Village.
    This a good hotel, with a great view of the beach, and the sunset. Plus the view of the Army base and the rest of Honolulu is awesome. The hotel is onlyu a 20 minute walk to Al Moana Mall.

Unique Quality: The view is magnificant. The staff that works there is very friendly and very nice, and very helpful.
    The pool is very nice, and sits in front of the hotel, which gives it a great view of the city, and opens up for the Hawaiian sunshine.

Directions: Al Moana Blvd, which is the main road .

More about Aqua Palms And Spa

Great time at the Aqua Palms

Aqua Palms is a classy little hotel in Waikiki. We were there for 22 days and plan to return soon. The staff is very friendly, rooms are really clean and comfortable and the location is terrific, just across the street from the Hilton Hawaiian Village with access to the widest and best kept beaches in Waikiki. The room had a good-sized frig with a little freezer section, full-length mirror, internet access, coffeemaker and microwave, flatscreen TV, free Kona coffee provided every day both regular and decaf, comfortable bed and sofa, little balcony with nice furniture. The hotel has a spa, small pool and an excercise room as well. The air conditioning works great and there is plenty of hot water and really good water pressure. The lobby is beautifully decorated and the management hosts a little get together once a week to chat and have a glass of wine. Honolulu is noisy so upper floors are best. You cannot beat the price. It is much nicer than the Hilton we stayed at in London! Good places to eat in the area are Eggs and Things for breakfast if you have the time to wait to get in and Mediterraneo on King Street for dinner.

The best kept secret

by TripAdvisor Member poohbear1970

This has to be the best kept secret hotel in honolulu .. wanted to write a bad review so it won't be full next time we go back and the price won't change.Just got back today from 6 nights at the aqua palms have to say it's the best place, free internet in your room, all new tv's with dvd player ( that plays dvd r's), bathroom is nicely decorated, nice clean carpets and everything in the room is new.There is also a microwave and mini fridge to store your groceries and afew bowls and cutlery in the room.We had our mini breakfast delivered every morning just like room service! The pool is small but atleast there is a pool and clean , nice workout room .The hotel was very quiet and the staff friendly .Subway , aloha sushi, mcd's, coffee shop, red lobster, abc store are all minnutes from the hotel.Ala Moana shopping centre, ross and walmart are about 15 minutes walking away.The beach can be accessed from the hilton which is across the street.Make sure you see the penguins, turtles.We were all very impressed with the aqua palms and hope to return this fall.Have a great time in honolulu by staying here.

Great Accomodations, Even Better Price!

by TripAdvisor Member shand417

My husband and I stayed at the Aqua Palms Mar 8-13. I found a deal on line for $117/night. Thanks to Tripadvisor reviews, I felt confident that we would have a good stay....and we did! Very friendly staff, nice pool, clean rooms, excellent location. We walked over to the beach every day through Hilton Hawaiian Village. I laughed to myself thinking those people paid 3 or 4 times as much as we did. We had access to their beach and front desk services (bought postage there). The only suggestion that I would make for the hotel is to install some better lighting in the shower. Other than that...BRAVO!

Great Hotel, Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member MyDime

I just stayed at The Aqua Palms for a week. It was very nice and clean, no bugs, no stains, no crowds. I had a room on the 5th floor with a balcony that had a table and 2 chairs. There's a queen size bed and a pull-out sofa, ceiling-mounted TV(78 channel), free internet, free local phone calls, mini-kitchenette (microwave and fridge). There is a spa on site and I will probably opt for the free massage next time instead of the coupon book (which didn't have anything of interest to me). Be warned though that the tub is small, but I didn't have any plans to soak while there. That's what the ocean is for!!

The staff is very helpful. The water in my shower wasn't hot enough and they sent the plumber right up and fixed it. Also, the hotel was able to accomodate letting me stay a half-day until 8pm for $85 on the last day since my plane didn't leave until 11pm.

The price was tough to beat for the quality: $570 for 6 nights(got one night free for length of stay), incl taxes, free continental breakfast, coupon book, and 2-for-1 luau coupon. There's no restaurant in the hotel, but Wailana's Coffee House is just next door and they are open 24-hours. The food is delicious and prices very reasonable.

The bus stop toward Honolulu is right next to the hotel and it is only a 15 minute walk to the superb Ala Moana Shopping Center. To catch the bus toward Waikiki, you just have to go across the street to the Royal Hawaiian or to the end of the block on Kuhio street. You can get a $20 pass for 4 days that will take you all over the place. But to go out to Pearl Harbor (1.5hrs by bus) or further like to the North Shore, rent a car (although be prepared to pay through the nose for it and the gas!) To go to/from the airport, you can get a RT ticket on Robert Transp. buses at the airport shuttle desk for $14 (pay on the bus).

But there is plenty to do in Waikiki and for free too. The beach was a block away and uncrowded. The park across the way is Fort DeRussy (sp?). Check the Waikiki website for monthly calendars of free activities, including hula shows and fireworks.

Charming Hotel on a Very Busy Street

Although the Palms is marketed as condominiums, the rooms are all hotel room size. All rooms are about 300 sq ft and rectangular. Half face Ala Moana Blvd, and half face the residential neighborhood behind the hotel. As others have mentioned, the rooms were updated last fall (2005) and are clean, modern and generally free of the stains, blemishes and mold that you can find in high-traffic destinations like Waikiki. We never saw any bugs. The finishes and fixtures are high-quality. Three elevators provide quick service to the 11 floors. Here are some details I did not see in previous reviews...

o The bathroom is quite small, but has nice touches like a bowed shower rod that keeps the curtain out of your way. Typical quality hotel amentities are provided.

o The beds are really, really firm but I still found them comfortable. We had the two bed configuration which made for lots of lounging space. The pillows were not obnoxiously bulgey like some are.

o Lighting is just OK in the rooms.

o The TV/DVD combo is modern, works well (even with DVD-Rs), but has a modest 20" screen and is suspended six feet above the ground. It has numerous inputs including S-Video in case you wish to connect a camcorder. Just bring a 6 foot cable.

o Soundproofing between rooms is excellent. I never heard a neighbor. HOWEVER... street noise is impossible to ignore. Everytime a trolly stops... "ding". The street is a major arterial.

o The AC works excellent with one major drawback... it is a central AC arrangement and the only control you have is the temperature. Normally there is a "fan on" setting that runs the fan all the time, which actually drowns out noise. This baby cycles on and off and on and off and... if that bothers you, earplugs are in order.

o The workout room is sweet with the same TV/DVD, a nice treadmill, an eliptical, and a weight machine.

o The pool is small, 4ft deep, and unheated as far as we could tell.

o Yes, free DSL internet is in every room, and wireless internet is in the lobby. It worked well.

o Storage is at a premium. Three bureau drawers and one free standing 3x3 closet.

o Safes are provided, which are free and are fairly roomy.

o If your rate includes the continental breakfast, it is a danish and or a mini muffin, a can of juice, and fruit yogurt. What is interesting is that they deliver it to your room at the time of your choosing if you turn in your slip by 10:00PM.

o 4-cup coffee makers are provided, as is one package of Kona blend each day. It was a little weak for my tastes, so we bought some 4-cup filters and ground coffee at ABC stores. Coffee is also served in the lobby. Bring your own filters and save $2.49.

o A mangers reception Wednesdays from 5-6PM includes a complementary beverage. We were served wine, but I heard Champagne is sometimes served as well. When we were there, they were also giving 5-minute free chair massages.

So there you have it. Close to the beach and transportation, great rates, friendly staff, easy shopping and dining, not to mention free internet and a quick walk to the mall. If you can put up with the traffic and AC noise, do stay here. The views are really spectacular from the front of the hotel, but the back is undoubtably quieter. Either way, you won't be sorry.

Good value in a great location

by TripAdvisor Member Simon_Harrison

We spent a week at the Palms at the start of March - all the way from the UK to see Hawaii have the worst weather for decades - and we got snow in Vegas!

I thought the room we got was a little small for a Deluxe studio, and we were next to the lift shafts, which weren't too quiet, but the room was comfortable enough - the bed was excellent, everything worked and the place was spotless.

Due to the weather, we didn't really get chance to check out the small pool, but it looked nice enough from the balcony directly above it.

However, this place is in a very good spot, 10 minutes to the beach through the Hilton isn't too far, and you can walk into Waikiki across the park. There's a bus stop and a trolley stop directly outside the hotel for access to the essential Ala Moana center. Having said that, it is a busy road outside, all night - but its' so easy to get to some good restaurants, even in the torrential rain.

If you're looking for a resort hotel, this isn't the place, there's no bar, or room service, but if you just want a place to crash between trips out to the beach/shops/restaurants, we would recommend it very highly.

Would we go back to the Palms? If we were on a budget similar to this one, absolutely - for the price, the standard and location can't be beaten.

Fabulous location, great value (but hard beds!)

by TripAdvisor Member RottweilerGrrrl

Pros:
* GREAT location -- across the street from the Hilton Hawaiian Village, easy beach access
* Convenient to transportation -- take The Bus to destinations like the Arizona Memorial and the Aloha Bowl Swap Meet. The stop is right in front of the hotel and it is way cheaper than renting a car. Do yourself a favor and get the $20 visitor pass valid for unlimited travel on all buses for up to 4 days.
* Clean, with friendly maintenance staff
* Amenities like the mini-fridge and the balcony
* And most of all very affordable, especially compared to other hotels in the immediate area

Cons:
* Tiny bathroom with weird / inadequate lighting and no fan (that was really strange -- I don't think I've ever seen a hotel bathroom without a fan)
* The beds are hard as heck (now this is a personal issue -- my partner loved the bed, but I ended up sleeping on the sofa one night)

Would I stay there again? Yes, but I'd bring a body pillow to lay on...

the pits

this is the type of hotel people go to when they can't afford the hilton-which happens to be across the street.
yes it has been renovated, but it has problems. they have low flush toilets so they always get plugged, the room keys constantly demagnetize, tiny pool, can't control room temperature, continential breakfast doesn't even have cereal. it is within walking distance to a good mall and wallmart and if you cut through the hilton compound you can get to the beach quickly. there are not any average places to eat-either junk or high end at the hilton.

A great, clean place to stay for less for a 3 - 3.5 star hotel quality

Good:
Service is incredible. People are very nice and accommodating. We first upgraded the room to the oceanview but then changed our mind and switched back to our original room (city view) due to black, dirty permanent marks in the bathtub. According to the hotel staff, the tub is clean but it's scratched and unfortunately they can't take out the black straches. They are accommodating enough to let us switch. I think this is a great example of the kindness and services they are willing to do for their guests. By the way, if the scratches don't bother you, consider asking for room 1110. Pretty good decent view (Read on to "Fair" section before deciding to go with the oceanview)

I would say the location is pretty good if you don't mind NOT being in the heart of waikiki. I really like it because it's close enough to Ala Moana Mall. If you like to shop, this is a plus. The mall has everything!! Great restaurants, good shops, markets, etc. I walked everywhere and frankly it wasn't that bad. it's about 10 - 15 mins to Ala Moana Mall in one direction and to heart of waikiki in the another direction. We got a rental car so I didn't exactly get a chance to try busing around. I did notice that the bus stop is VERY CLOSE to the hotel (like 1 min walk)

Cleanliness:
The place is fairly clean and new. No complaint other than the scratched tub. I do have to say that I'm usually picky with this topic. Other than what is mentioned, the hotel really keeps it clean.

Amenities: TV with DVD, Microwave, Plates, Utensils, Iron (by request only), and basic toiletries

Fair:
The ocean view is good considering the size and location of the hotel. Some rooms have really good view of the Ala Moana State Beach but I would say the Hilton (being quite a bit taller) takes away a great deal of "what could have been" Keep in mind that this property is NOT exactly on the beach

Bathroom size is small but it's ok. The bath tub/shower could be a problem for tall individuals... I say taller than 5-9. I'm small so I'm lucky that it was not a problem for me at all. However, if you're tall..I can see that it wouldn't be too comfortable. For people who like to take bath, don't choose this hotel. The tub is even too small for me!

Breakfast: I hope that nobody pays for it. If it's free, it's okay. The hawaiian sun drinks are handy when you're off sightseeing. Yogurts and pastries are basic but adequate to get everyone going in the morning. There's no fresh coffee :( I mean you can make it as it comes in a package like most other hotels.

Not so great:
Parking is EXPENSIVE. We got a rental car and ended up paying $15/day. I tried looking around for lots to park but didn't find any. I think there is a smaller street (maybe EWA) that you can park overnight. We didn't try but would be a good option to explore if you want to save $$.

Elevator: It's kinda slow and old. It's not a big point to make but I'm just throwing in to be complete....

Water in the room: They charge $$ for it. We drink a lot of water so it was a must for us to take a trip to longs and stock in the fridge.

Aqua Palms & Spa

by marciad5

Any thoughts on Aqua Palms & Spa? I am interested in something with a kitchenette and this fits the bill. Thanks, Marcia

Re: Aqua Palms & Spa

by RogerOma

Here's a link to a map of Waikiki and Honolulu.

For the most part it has good reviews and is close to many spots however it is a little bit of a walk to the beach.

Comments