Aqua Waikiki Wave Honolulu

2299 Kuhio Avenue, (Formerly Aqua Coral Reef Hotel), Honolulu, Hawaii, 96815, United States

Aqua Waikiki Wave
Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• cochinjew's Profile Photo

Friendly Staff, Central Location in Waikiki

Honolulu is notorious for difficulties in obtaining a reasonable economical lodgings, even though there seems to be hundreds of hotels but there are thousands of tourists as well. I had read reviews about Aqua hotels in Honolulu, decided to book Aqua Wave because it was situated in Kuhio avenue and central to all activities in Waikiki region.
    On arrival was greeted by Miko as if I were a repeat customer even though it was my first time there. She gave me a nice room on the third floor.When I decided to extend my stay, she upgraded me, without an increase in price, to a junior suite, a corner one which was ample in space.

Unique Quality: Both rooms, a regular one on the third floor and another one on the seventh were large in size.
    the junior suite had a bath.
    the junior suite had surround views of the waikiki area.
    the staff was extremely friendly and helpful
    Miko and Jawar needs mention.
    No breakfast but the Muramake Udon is just across the street.
    Most tourists staying at this hotel were from Americans from the USA.

Directions: Bus no 19 or 20 from the airport stops right in front of the hotel

• An awesome hotel, an awesome staff

I highly recommend this hotel to anybody. We were a family of five and even the cot, which they supplied, was very comfortable and so were the beds and the rooms; everything was clean, staff was very friendly and helpful, even ordered a taxi to the airport. It turned out to be a limousine!

Unique Quality: We had the view to the ocean, it was great. We were there during the tsunami evacuation and the staff was amazing, they stayed calm and informative and knew, what they were doing.
    We were just a few steps from everything on Waikiki, the location couldn't be better.

Directions: On Kuhio Avenue right next to the International Market Place.

• A bit old...

I stayed in the Aston Coral Reef in Jan. 03. The room stank of cigarette smoke and the water pressure was poor. The elevators were slow. The view from my room was of a parking structure. If your expectations are not too high, go for it but if you are looking for nice comfortable hotel, give it a miss.

More about Aqua Waikiki Wave Honolulu

Aqua Waikiki Wave, great experience

by TripAdvisor Member bardenl

We stayed here for one night precruise and would have liked to stay longer. The King bed room was $110, $122.56 with tax, and was just remodeled. Our room on the third floor was huge, really more like a suite. It had two balconies with floor to ceiling glass windows. The bedroom could be fullly or partially closed off by a pocket door shoji screen. The other room had a sofa, desk, table and chairs, microwave and fridge, large closet, and dresser. We did not use the flat screen TV or DVD, but the wireless internet is excellent (I'm using it to prepare the review).

We got a free beach bag, a book of 2 for 1 coupons, and the friendly desk staff lent me a stapler for our luggage tags. I used the $3.99 offer to order take out breakfasts from the Big Kahuna in the building. We had no trouble finding a parking space in the garage under the hotel, and at $15 including in and out privileges, it's a pretty good deal.

Loved the Wave!

by TripAdvisor Member kkim

I stayed at the Aqua Waikiki Wave in November and absolutely loved it! We were upgraded from a standard Aloha Suite to a Partial Ocean View Aloha Suite on the 12th floor overlooking Royal Hawaiian Hotel and the view was fantastic! The renovations are great and really modern, yet comfortable. The price was outstanding for the new rooms and location (you could actually still smell the new carpet/fabric smell). Trevor at the front desk was great and very friendly. Housekeeping did a fantastic job and the new beds were glorious. As a local travel agent that does group bookings, I will definitly recommend this hotel to my next group (or anyone else I can). Growing up in Honolulu, I have seen my fair share of hotel rooms/properties and have to say the the Wave is one of my favorites. Great job Aqua Waikiki Wave for giving an old rundown hotel a new face and feel! I will definitly stay here again!

Insider Tip: Request a room on as high a floor as possible and away from the street. Paying for a higher category is worth it!

Aqua Promise was remarkable.

by TripAdvisor Member smithsgl

Harmony airlines booked a 14 day package at our first destination Aqua Aloha Hotel. We had such a great trip and wonderful stay we decided to stay another 10 nights in Wikiki.

We had difficulty getting a room so I phoned the Aqua Promise ...a promise to help anytime of day or night to solve any situation.
The owner and CEO of Aqua hotels took a personal interest in our booking and located another property. The property was Aqua Waikiki Wave. A beautiful, fresh, clean, newly designed trendy room awaited us.
The staff greeted us and made our stay a 10 out of 10.
We will deffinetly return to the Aqua hotels...there are now ten of them.....and return to a peaceful, newly decorated hotel soon.
Mahalo
The Smiths G/L

Kind of Dingy for being "new," but the staff is great

by TripAdvisor Member Gemutlichkeit

I recently traveled to Waikiki for work and opted to save my company some money by not staying at the conference hotel. Instead, I found the Aqua Waikiki Wave -- only a few blocks from my conference hotel, but over $100 cheaper per night, and the hotel was advertised as BRAND NEW-- opening in November of 2006! How cool would that be!? I could stay in this brand-new hotel decorated in a mid-century furniture -- sounds great!

Well, the hotel may be new as a name, but the facilities are not new. They simply bought an old building, changed some things, and call it new. The elevators have torn-up paneling in them; the room's carpeting was old and faded; and my alarm clock didn't work -- the digits didn't even display. Also, I was short-sheeted every night.

I think there are better options in Waikiki. After my conference, I switched hotels and found one that was equally old, lower in price, and offered more amenities, including an in-room kitchenette, on-site laundry, and (best of all) FREE parking.

My room at the AQUA Waikiki Wave was on the westside of the building. At first, I overlooked a huge chilling unit for the neighboring building, but the staff quickly moved me to a higher floor so I could get a better view. From here, the view was much better. The westside does hover above the International Marketplace, which (for me) got pretty loud on a Saturday night, since I had to work the next morning. I would recommend considering requesting a room on the eastside of the building.

Friendly, Comfort away from Home

by TripAdvisor Member FlightFun

We went to Hawaii to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. We were looking for a 3 star hotel with very clean rooms to stay in for 2 days prior to our Hawaiian cruise. Then we would look for another hotel after we arrived in Hawaii, possibly a 4 or 5 star, after our 7 day cruise. Well we found both places to stay once we checked into the Aqua Waikiki Wave (was Coral Reef). The rooms were very clean, the bedding had that just washed smell, no signs of mold or dirt anywhere around the shower or fixtures in the bathroom.

The staff is extremely helpful, we needed additional towels after a visit to the beach, less than five minutes after the phone call the towels were delivered. James, is the guy that helps with baggage or almost anything you need, was a super help. He told me how to get around the town (without a rent car), the best restaurants, places to visit, tours available and he would get you a taxi in no time. We were able to meet Lynette McDonald the General Manager of the hotel, we thought she was just out for that moment. She was out helping hotel guests, assisting the check in folks, and passing on parking and local information. She was doing this each day! Talk about special attention to guests.

The hotel is on Kuhio Ave, less than a block from the international Marketplace. There are several shopping areas close by, we had a several choices of places to eat within easy walking distance. There is an “ABC” and 7-11 stores (convenient stores) within two minutes walking distance from the hotel, to pick up some snacks and those small forgotten items. Waikiki beach is an easy 10 minute stroll from the hotel. With many small shops and stores along the route, we passed on getting a rental car.

The only down side to the trip to Hawaii, was being there during the earthquake! Well talk about a hotel stepping up and taking care of their guests. Electricity was lost for the entire island after the earthquake for over 10 hours. Lynette McDonald (general manager for the hotel) was all over the place assisting and calming nerves. I asked her about how she was handling all this, she had never been thru an earthquake and here she was taking care of all us and reassuring us. The hotel’s generator had the lobby area functioning and well lit, so well many people off the street wanted to come in thinking this hotel was the only one in the city with electricity. The hotel staff and hotel Owner (yes, the Owner showed up), provided food, soda, water, fans, and earthquake information all day.

When we go back to Hawaii, we will stay at this hotel. Our stay was almost like staying with friends you have known for awhile. The front desk, maids, and James (don’t know his title), and everyone at the hotel has a help the guest anyway possible attitude. Great place to stay, great value. Even on checking out, the front desk folks printed my boarding pass for my flight back. We are already thinking about what to do on our next visit to Hawaii, we know what hotel to stay in.

The Wave was ok

by TripAdvisor Member lilpeasmomma

We stayed at the Waikiki Wave over Thanksgiving. For the money we spent, the accomodations were fine and suited our needs. The location was perfect in its proximity to everything in Waikiki. On the whole, it is an average hotel....clean beds (though sheeting was too small and kept getting undone), clean bathrooms (water pressure could have been better), and nice amenities. We weren't expecting a "resort-like" hotel, just a clean place to use as a "home-base". Our room was located on the street-side and overlooked an alley, so like what other reviewers wrote, it can be loud at night (I needed earplugs one weekend night). Basically, if you are seeking a hotel with the luxuries of a resort (spa, pool, dining rooms), the Wave is not for you. But if you are seeking a clean, comfortable, affordable and safe place to stay, I would certainly recommend the Wave. Mahalo.

Wonderful Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member REGGIEANN

Just returned from a stay at the Waikiki Wave Aqua Reef and I loved the accomodations. The room was large and had a microwave and refrigerator. The bathroom was bright and clean with plentiful towels. The staff were great. Agnes the tour arranger was a wondeful help, Kudo's to Daniel for all his help.
I loved the location and its proximity to all the places I wanted to visit. The bus and trolleys were right outside our hotel and the many plces to eat were all a short walking distance. The view from our balcony across to the Royal Hawaiin and the ocean were superb. We did not need a rental car because we were so close to everything. Will definitely stay there again.

Good value for the price

by TripAdvisor Member Travellingcutie

We stayed at the Waikiki Wave for 5 nights in early December. The location was great- close walking distance to the beach, lots of shopping and restaurants and plenty of bus stops for our excursions. We didnt have a rental car (you dont need one unless you're going far outside of Honolulu) so didnt have to deal with parking.

The coupon booklet that we got on check-in saved us a bunch of money on museums. Many places that we already planned to visit were in the booklet.

The room was nice. A little rundown in the bathroom still- the shower still looked old (but clean) and our toilet ran constantly. We also didnt get new soap/shampoo unless we tipped, and the maid made us buy the coffee packets from her at $1 a piece. Which is still cheaper than Starbucks, but bothered me a lot, since I've traveled a lot and never stayed anywhere else that charged for the mini coffee packets.

The hallways are not up to the level of the rooms, but they're clean and well lit. Our room was quiet and we had a small ocean view.

Overall, it was a really good room for the price we paid ($540 for 5 nights) and we felt comfortable there for the time we stayed.

Great Value

by TripAdvisor Member Crackedwheat

We really enjoyed our stay at this newly refurbished hotel.
The location is great, the price was great ($100CAD) and
the room was very comfortable and clean. I would recommend
staying on a higher floor and on the sunset side of the building.
We overheard someone on the other side of the building complaining about a nightclub/bar open late and noisy.

Aqua Waikiki Wave or Ohana East

by mindcrime

I want to choose between these two hotels in Waikiki:

1)Aqua Waikiki Wave ***
2299 Kuhio Avenue, (Formerly Aqua Coral Reef Hotel), Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815

2)OHANA East ***
150 Kaiulani Ave, Honolulu 96815 USA

The price is almost the same. Anyone knows about them, where they are according to walking distance from main spots, beach, nightlife?

How easy is to reach them by bus from the airport?

k.

by BangkokParadise

Hi

If I'm not mistaken. Both are very close to Waikiki Beach.
But I remember that Aqua Waikiki Wave is only like a block or to away from the beach. International Market Place is like 5 mins away from your place. Also, food court and night life is just right there.

If you walk along Kalakaua Ave. Those are beach area (on your right hand side)and it will lead you to the zoo, Rose Garden, Waikiki Aquarium, War Memorial Natatorium, etc.

I know that there is are buses that can take you directly from Airport to Waikiki but not too sure if it's no. 20 or sth. It's been awhile as I moved back to Thailand.

Hope this will help.

Bangkok Paradise

by YVRDave

The Ohana East has a slightly shorter walk to the beach. The Aqua is closer to to the new Lewers entertainment strip. Everything in Waikiki is less than a 20 minute walk. I'm not sure about the bus

by mindcrime

thanks both of you!

by jschibal

www.tripadvisor.com

There are a lot of reviews about these hotels.

You might want to consider Waikiki Prince if budget is a priority.

by titotherio

My wife and I stayed at the Ohana East back in 2005 and it was very close to pretty much everything...it was all in a 10 minute-walk range. 2 blocks from the beach.

There is a bus stop right in front of the hotel, which is nice. We had bought a 4 day bus pass and were able to go everywhere on the Island by bus. We found it was perfect for us, and saved us the price of a rental car for those 4 days.

We had taken a taxi from and to the airport. If I remember correctly, it was a 20-25 minutes ride to the hotel.

Have a nice trip!

by Onedragon

Hi
Both hotels are in great locations in Waikiki. Both are really easy to get to.. There are two great places to eat..one has great Jazz music...
But The Ohana East has a slight advantage to getting to the Beach ..getting to the Supermarket..actually Food mart..part of the FOODLAND markets in Hawaii..
There are two great places to eat by the Ohana....and one has great Jazz music... And also right next to one of the places to eat is a Bar.. If you just like to drink..
The Bus stops are right across the street fom the Ohana too.. The 19 and 20 both go to and fro from the Airport..

Comments